• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Setsu00

Well, he did ask if the delay was okay. We obviously said no, so that means he has to push it out this year.

It's just funny that Harada and Toyama were with him. Harada apparently ignores Tekken X Street Fighter and Toyama kept everyone waiting on Gravity Rush 2.

Weiss

Banned
Immense amounts of wishful thinking, but maybe Summer 2016 is the absolute latest they think balancing and bug testing will take them, and the game will come out earlier.

Well, he did ask if the delay was okay. We obviously said no, so that means he has to push it out this year.

It would be kind of worrying if he did take the reaction in that way. Wouldn't want them to rush it out.

Immense amounts of wishful thinking, but maybe Summer 2016 is the absolute latest they think balancing and bug testing will take them, and the game will come out earlier.

It's a possibility. They probably don't want to over promise and then have to delay it yet again.

Dantis

I drew Anne:

tumblr_nuz9dq4qT01s602ggo1_1280.png

Hashino apparently turned pale when he saw the reactions on the livestream to the 2016 delay according to Tekken's Katsuhiro Harada. Hashino, Harada and Toyama from the Gravity Rush team were out drinking together and concluded that they should get back to work.

This is pretty sad. Poor Hashino.

cj_iwakura

It would be kind of worrying if he did take the reaction in that way. Wouldn't want them to rush it out.

I don't either, but he really shouldn't be surprised at the backlash. The game is highly anticipated, and they were drip-feeding info before crushing hopes with the delay announcement. I guess the Japanese reaction wasn't too pleasant either.

A US delay doesn't surprise me, but I get the vibe the game is really far along. I was expecting a winter launch for Japan and Spring for the US. I just hope the delays are for the right reasons.

tbh if they're going to keep copying P2IS they better go all the way and make Yusuke dateable. I won't accept any less.
I'd prefer Ryuji but I'll take what I can get

Sophia

It's probably been posted before but possible waifus:

Please don't embed the images. Link to them instead.

Although, perhaps it's possible that there simply are more unique models in the hallways and stuff? The characters in the first image are in an unusual spot if they're merely NPCs you talk to.

Although, perhaps it's possible that there simply are more unique models in the hallways and stuff? The characters in the first image are in an unusual spot if they're merely NPCs you talk to.
Ah, sorry. Fixed it.

I'd say it's a safe bet that the detailed models are the ones that we can interact with, the other models don't even have faces where as the ones circled in the images are actually fully modelled. Plus the video with Hashino shows a speech bubble over the girl who is circled in the second image and a button prompt shows up when the player moves near her.

Lusankya

It's probably been posted before but possible waifus:

Yeah, the second one is the same girl who has a "..." bubble above her head in the image I posted one page earlier. So either you can spend time with her or she gives you a request.

In P3 and P4 S.Links had a bubble with an exclamation mark, while the quests from P4 golden had sweat drops. So it's hard to tell what the new bubble represents.

You know thinking back about PV3, I think the most interesting aspect of it (for me at least) was the fact that not only you can walk around freely in the city, but looking at the mini-map, there seems to be a lot of unique places to visit and activities to participate in.

I really can't wait till I get my hands on this game and explore the hell out of its locations.

You know thinking back about PV3, I think the most interesting aspect of it (for me at least) was the fact that not only you can walk around freely in the city, but looking at the mini-map, there seems to be a lot of unique places to visit and activities to participate in.

I really can't wait till I get my hands on this game and explore the hell out of its locations.

This has me thinking about how the 'time' mechanic is going to work in this game.

In P3 and P4, actions like shopping didn't use up your time allowance for the day. But going to battle, going to the arcade, fishing etc did use it.

I wonder what actions are going to be using your time and which ones wont. Plus, will it be like P3/4 where you only get 1 action for the day (usually) or will we get things like "early afternoon/late afternoon/evening/night",

This has me thinking about how the 'time' mechanic is going to work in this game.

In P3 and P4, actions like shopping didn't use up your time allowance for the day. But going to battle, going to the arcade, fishing etc did use it.

I wonder what actions are going to be using your time and which ones wont. Plus, will it be like P3/4 where you only get 1 action for the day (usually) or will we get things like "early afternoon/late afternoon/evening/night",

I really hope that it's more like that.

Time mechanic in P4 was a little too strict, IMO. Spending your entire afternoon drinking one cup of coffee is ridiculous. With P5 I want to enjoy doing different things during a day so I hope they change how the time works this time around.

I really hope that it's more like that.

Time mechanic in P4 was a little too strict, IMO. Spending your entire afternoon drinking one cup of coffee is ridiculous. With P5 I want to enjoy doing different things during a day so I hope they change how the time works this time around.

Adding a late evening time period where some activities are still available would be a good idea. Like being able to hang out with people at night in Golden, just expanded a little bit.

I would be a little surprised if there isn't an extended evening time of day. P4G added and improved upon the evening stuff from P3 so hopefully P5 will expand upon that even further and make it more worthwhile to explore in the evening with different activities and social link interactions.

Weiss

Banned
Watched PV03 again, and I'm thinking the song we heard was the boss track for the game. It's a lot heavier and more menacing than the rest of the jazzy soundtrack.

Theodoricos

I would be a little surprised if there isn't an extended evening time of day. P4G added and improved upon the evening stuff from P3 so hopefully P5 will expand upon that even further and make it more worthwhile to explore in the evening with different activities and social link interactions.

That's what I'm hoping for as well:

http://i.imgur.com/bEp6VZa.jpg (Screenshot from PV#3.)

Judging by the amount of icons on the mini-map, there should be a lot more things to do. Though this is (one of) the first day(s) of the school year, so it could be a one-time thing.

FluxWaveZ

So on what I assume to be the battle menu: http://i.imgur.com/qUxlkX8.gifv we see two options, "random" and "fire." Random seems like an odd option for combat. Why would anyone pick that?

Because it could be All-Out-Attack related. "Fire" is one form of physical attack relating to the firearms, but if the conditions are met to initiate that attack and the enemy has something like "absorb/reflect/nullify firearms," then you'd obviously not want to pick that option for a critical attack.

PK Gaming

Hah, he actually checked the livestream reactions? Hashino's got guts.

I drew Anne:

Niiiiii(x8)ce drawing! I'm really fond of catsuit!Anne without her mask.

tbh if they're going to keep copying P2IS they better go all the way and make Yusuke dateable. I won't accept any less.
I'd prefer Ryuji but I'll take what I can get

I feel like it's definitey a possibility. Especially now that FE:Fates did it.

Because it could be All-Out-Attack related. "Fire" is one form of physical attack relating to the firearms, but if the conditions are met to initiate that attack and the enemy has something like "absorb/reflect/nullify firearms," then you'd obviously not want to pick that option for a critical attack.

Something tells me that it's not AoA related, you can see the health indicators loading in, so I think this is the start of the battle, so maybe more along the lines of "player advantage"?

FluxWaveZ

Something tells me that it's not AoA related, you can see the health indicators loading in, so I think this is the start of the battle, so maybe more along the lines of "player advantage"?

That's possible, too, though I still think the two options are there because of the type of attack it refers to.

I thought it was "random fire" and not "random" and "fire", also it's nothing you select but just a sign.
Afterwards you see the crew doing something like an all-out-attack with their firearms.

Ah, that's a likely possibility, too.

I hope we have way more ending than standard P3/P4.

I hope we have 1.

Nimby

Banned
I hope we have 1.

Different endings makes the second playthrough so much better than with just one ending imo. Gives me something to strive for.

I dunno, I thought P3 had the right idea. A bad ending for when you majorly fuck up, and the actual ending.

I didn't like that, especially for P4. Had to rewatch that entire scene again after I messed it up the first time. Also, lots of people end up quitting there thinking it's the ending they got and proceed to start a new playthrough
obviously it can't be, but it happens

Lunar15

Definitely want one ending.

Can't stand multiple endings, myself. It waters down the storytelling and it gives me choice anxiety, lol.

Theodoricos

Multiple endings make sense for series focused around making choices. Persona isn't really about that, so I'd like a single ending myself (with possible variations).

I did like, for example, how P3P had
variations as to which character was beside the protagonist while s/he died on the roof, instead of simply defaulting to Aigis like 3/FES

Lunar15

Not a big fan of bad endings because they don't accomplish much other than wasted time and frustration. P4's is a good example of this.

I'm fine with choices affecting other things, but for endings, not so much.

Sophia

I'm all for multiple endings if they're handled like how Nocturne handled its endings. None of this Persona 3 "Obvious bad ending / good ending" crap.

So on what I assume to be the battle menu: http://i.imgur.com/qUxlkX8.gifv we see two options, "random" and "fire." Random seems like an odd option for combat. Why would anyone pick that?

That's not the battle menu, as others have noted. That's just a unique animation before the All Out Attack / group attack.

I thought it was "random fire" and not "random" and "fire", also it's nothing you select but just a sign.
Afterwards you see the crew doing something like an all-out-attack with their firearms.

Yup, you got it. It's not a selection.

FluxWaveZ

Edit: Wait, nevermind~.

Edit 2: I just don't see the appeal in multiple endings for a series like Persona. Unless the game is built around it—which would make it a fundamentally different kind of game—it just seems superfluous and could potentially impact the quality of focusing on one crafted ending.

Weiss

Banned
Multiple endings are only really worth it if they're all equally valid, except the brilliant use of P4's normal ending, and even then a lot of SMT games have trouble balancing their choices as all morally equivalent. I think the last time the endings all seemed reasonable and equal was Devil Survivor.

Lunar15

I've almost never been satisfied with multiple endings, but that's personal taste. I feel like I'm always searching for the "best" one, even if that doesn't exist. They also have to weaken some elements of the story to allow for different paths. If endings contain the impact of the story, you're dividing up that impact the more endings you create, but this is my personal opinion.

P4 doesn't really have multiple endings. It has one ending and several game overs if you make wrong choices. It's no different than dying, in my opinion.

Multiple endings are only really worth it if they're all equally valid, except the brilliant use of P4's normal ending, and even then a lot of SMT games have trouble balancing their choices as all morally equivalent. I think the last time the endings all seemed reasonable and equal was Devil Survivor.

Devil Survivor really did multiple endings incredibly well. Can't really think of any other game, especially not SMT wise that matches it.

Top Bottom