• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Style

Banned
Is it me, or do those spindly legs on the P5 characters look a bit...strange? I know the Japanese tend to be thin on average, as were the party members in the previous Persona games, but I can't help looking at the bodies of Potter/Ryuji/Ann and thinking they really need to eat a sandwich.

Or maybe they were always like that and I just never thought much of it because the in-game portraits usually only show them from the waist up? I just looked at the full body designs for P2/P3/P4 characters and they're slightly thinner than I remembered, but it's not as conspicuous as it is with the P5 characters.

I dunno, the P3 and P4 casts were always twiggy and 90% leg.

Yeah, from what I've experienced Soejima characters can be a bit on the slender side of the scale.

Is it me, or do those spindly legs on the P5 characters look a bit...strange? I know the Japanese tend to be thin on average, as were the party members in the previous Persona games, but I can't help looking at the bodies of Potter/Ryuji/Ann and thinking they really need to eat a sandwich.

Yeah, Persona needs that fat kid friend.

arue

Wow Lyn sounds really great. Her deep voice fits the Jazz theme so much and I think her English pronounciation is better than Kawamura and Hirata's. Maybe on par with Hirata's, actually.

Wow Lyn sounds really great. Her deep voice fits the Jazz theme so much and I think her English pronounciation is better than Kawamura and Hirata's. Maybe on par with Hirata's, actually.

Hirata started out with very poor English pronunciation, and got better as the games went on. (Same with Kawamura really.)

Lyn seems to be starting out with above average English pronunciation.

Very excited to hear a higher quality version of the OP. "Ain't No Other Man" sounds phenomenal, and is a great example of her abilities.

Dawg

It's probably nothing, but I can't help but wonder why they ended the Persona 5 TGS trailer with those blurry letters/numbers. I'm no fan of conspiracies, but it doesn't look like a regular transition. Just feels like they did that on purpose for... whatever reason. Just don't get it.

FluxWaveZ

It's probably nothing, but I can't help but wonder why they ended the Persona 5 TGS trailer with those blurry letters/numbers. I'm no fan of conspiracies, but it doesn't look like a regular transition. Just feels like they did that on purpose for... whatever reason. Just don't get it.

Stylistic choice. That's it.

Jachaos

Dawg, Atlus isn't Kojima. They troll but not with the expectation detectives will find a meaning. They just show random old lady reporters and do weird shit and molest their mascot on stream until boom hype trailer is out.

I'm loving the opening theme more with each subsequent replay (and I already liked it when I first heart it), but man...the more I'm loving anything I see of P5, the sadder I'm getting at the release delay.

Please, for the love of god, Atlus/Atlus USA, let this game have the shortest turn around ever from JPN to NA release (or aim for a simultaneous release if you can!). I can't wait 5 months like I did with P4's original gap in-between JPN and NA release dates. I can't. :(

QuadOpto

I honestly think her career's gonna take off like crazy when Persona 5 is released. She obviously has the talent, and being the vocalist for one of the best looking JRPG's of this time will definitely help boost her audience.

Hopefully she'll stick around like the rest of the music artists have! It really means something that all of these singers continue to perform concerts and go on events for a video game series, even when their involvement in the actual works start to move away from them.

Can't wait for Persona Music Live 2016.:p

FluxWaveZ

If the primary goal for the delay is polish, I have to wonder what that means for the localization process. I don't have any experience with localization outside of placeholder text stuff, but does it mean the NA version could theoretically be released alongside the Japanese one?

Basically, it'll really suck if after all this, the English audience has to wait even longer into Fall or Winter 2016.

Sophia

If the primary goal for the delay is polish, I have to wonder what that means for the localization process. I don't have any experience with localization outside of placeholder text stuff, but does it mean the NA version could theoretically be released alongside the Japanese one?

Basically, it'll really suck if after all this, the English audience has to wait even longer into Fall or Winter 2016.

If the game is content complete or close to it, then it'd be not-at-all unrealistic to expect a close localization. There's no reason the script would significantly change at this point, for example.

I actually feel very confident (avatar bet levels of confident even) that a simultaneous or near simultaneous release could happen.

DNAbro

I do hope they can release it in the summer. There are usually no good mid-summer releases. They better get it done as quick asap. At the most a month inbetween.

Makio

That funk for the love of god , she is going to be great ...

Already better than Hirata in my book lol
never fan of her anyway

I don't know why, but I feel like, for a release this big, they'll be going for a simultaneous release.

This polishing phase does give the localization team more time to focus on the translation while the main team focuses on polishing main game, right?

yami4ct

I don't know why, but I feel like, for a release this big, they'll be going for a simultaneous release.

This polishing phase does give the localization team more time to focus on the translation while the main team focuses on polishing main game, right?

I don't think Atlus Japan was ever aiming for a simultaneous release, but this delay if it is for polish might have that effect.

MSMrRound

but does it mean the NA version could theoretically be released alongside the Japanese one?

Well...if AtlusUSA decides to just English dub, probably.

I mean...I'm not talking about a scenario where P5 have both Japanese text and dub, but that was what happened to Persona 4 Arena and because of supposedly their fear of people reverse importing the English version instead, the region lock thing for the PS3 version was imposed?

Still, I'm a fan of both sets of dub though. Not hoping (and expecting much), but with the all-star cast of Japanese VAs that Persona 5 is getting, I expect there's gonna be quite a bit of "dual audio where!?" whining going on (sigh).

Pardon me here but just voicing my thought here a little bit. If the licensing etc went well though, I'll be pretty fine with paying for it as add-on DLC if it's possible. Would have been nice to experience both set of voices. (Not trying to whine for dual audio here since I'm not one of those "no JP voice no buy!" but rather, I appreciate voice actors and what they do and would really like to support both sets that we will be hearing for Persona 5.)

Already better than Hirata in my book lol

Hirata's great, but her recent appearances at Live concerts have been bothering me quite a bit as a fan of the Persona music trio. Most of us can really tell that she's kind of struggling a lot at times, maybe due to throat issues? Hope she recovers. Her performances haven't been as good as the earlier Persona concerts.

yami4ct

Well...if AtlusUSA decides to just English dub, probably.

I mean...I'm not talking about a scenario where P5 have both Japanese text and dub, but that was what happened to Persona 4 Arena and because of supposedly their fear of people reverse importing the English version instead and imposed that PS3 region lock thing?

Still, I'm a fan of both sets of dub though. Not hoping (and expecting much), but with the all-star cast of Japanese VAs that Persona 5 is getting, I expect there's gonna be quite a bit of "dual audio where!?" whining going on (sigh).

Pardon me here but just voicing my thought here a little bit. If the licensing etc went well though, I'll be pretty fine with paying for it as add-on DLC if it's possible. Would have been nice to experience both set of voices.

Given we got that survey that mentioned paying for dual audio, I could easily see it going that way. Partially solves the reverse importation problem, as buying the DLC from a foreign account is more hassle than many would go through and eliminate a lot of the savings, and it also helps pay licensing.

FluxWaveZ

Well, that's what one would think. But I believe it's mainly up to artists, programmers, etc. at Atlus Japan to implement the localization work. It might not be a priority for that staff if the focus was still on getting the game out in Japan before North America, causing a situation where we'll still get the game delayed by a few months like has generally been the case in the past.

yami4ct

Well, that's what one would think. But I believe it's mainly up to artists, programmers, etc. at Atlus Japan to implement the localization work. It might not be a priority for that staff if the focus was still on getting the game out in Japan before North America, causing a situation where we'll still get the game delayed by a few months like has generally been the case in the past.

A lot of it's going to depend on what the delay is for and, therefore, what the team is up to. If it's for polish, that could leave a good chunk of the team pretty open to help get localization implemented. That doesn't mean we'll see a simultaneous release, but I sort of expect a shorter turnaround than usual for this one. We'll see.

Jachaos

Even if it is up to them, Atlus USA should be able to use this time. I have worked on game localization before (though it was for a western AAA title) and from what I've experienced most issues arose from translation work coming in late or lines needing to be re-recorded because of changed script. From that post on the Persona Channel page, let's assume the script is mostly done and the only few things that will pop up over the next months will be a few lines regarding activities and random prompts they had forgotten. That would mean they can work on translating all the text and recording the voice acting.

Implementing localized lines wasn't so hard in my case. We were on a contract with the dev so we weren't working internally but even in that case the dev had no issue implementing the lines. Basically they were all translated into a language and the software took care of displaying the new language. If a line had an issue - say, LineID 100459 had no text - then we'd just look up that line in the software and fix the problem. I doubt they will translate anything that isn't found by a similar method either - for example, I doubt they'll have artists work on changing assets. A restaurant's neon sign or whatever, those will stay in Japanese.

So if they operate in a similar (smart) way, Atlus USA should be able to work on the localization without taking too much resources from P-Studio. I feel they should have enough time to translate and record everything they need and have time to polish on their end too while still aiming for a simultaneous release.

FluxWaveZ

That's some interesting insight, thanks for sharing. But...

for example, I doubt they'll have artists work on changing assets. A restaurant's neon sign or whatever, those will stay in Japanese.

Are you sure about this? Wouldn't they need artists for other kinds of Japanese UI elements? Using this PV03 image as an example: an artist would need to create new text for the time of day (top left), and the map location (bottom right). I have to think there are a bunch of stylized art assets like those that would need an artist to devote their time to for localization.

Or am I underestimating the function of that software you mention, and it would take care of that while keeping the font for some of those more basic changes?

Squire

Banned
Here is a full song from the sample by her https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLBCg0vE49c

She's not quite Christina, but I like her a lot. This is good.

Hah, this would totally work in a training montage for P5

Meguro's gotta do a killer getaway theme with horns in it.

I don't think Atlus Japan was ever aiming for a simultaneous release, but this delay if it is for polish might have that effect.

That's what I'm saying.

When they announced Ultimax, P5, P4D, and PQ for the U.S., they did say they wanted to launch the games as closely to Japan as they could, with the exception of PQ.

cj_iwakura

I just pray this delay is really Hashino's doing, and not Sega trying to force more DLC or micro transactions into the game.

It sounds scary, but look at SMTIV and EO. It will be a thing.

Hopefully the delay will also work in Europe's favour and result in a turn around that's closer to PQ than P4D or P4U.

I just pray this delay is really Hashino's doing, and not Sega trying to force more DLC or micro transactions into the game.

Did Sega recently put something out with microtransactions? Seems like an odd reason to expect a delay. P5 will probably end up with some DLC anyway, there's been plenty of DLC for the spin-off titles as well as other Atlus titles.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins

I'm hoping DLC is more expansion-based (like $20 for P5G enhancements), but yeah 95% chance we're just getting microtransaction-exclusive demons and such.

Jachaos

That's some interesting insight, thanks for sharing. But...

Are you sure about this? Wouldn't they need artists for other kinds of Japanese UI elements? Using this PV03 image as an example: an artist would need to create new text for the time of day (top left), and the map location (bottom right). I have to think there are a bunch of stylized art assets like those that would need an artist to devote their time to for localization.

Or am I underestimating the function of that software you mention, and it would take care of that while keeping the font for some of those more basic changes?

Both would've been done by just changing translating the line in my case. We had Excel spreadsheets and one of the tabs was related to Menu and UI stuff. So in this case, they would just have to translate the japanese text at the bottom left to, say, "Shinjuku Station" (I don't know what it actually says) and that would be it. For the top-left thing, it depends how it's coded I guess. If it's text with modified fonts then that would still be easy. If it's indeed an artist that worked on that element and did one for every single day then yeah he would have to work on the localization.

I doubt that's how they did it though, seems like a lot of work when they could just code something simple enough that combines various elements. I suspect that's the case and they just select from a list what is tied to each day. For example, [Day of the Week], [Weather Icon] and [Time of Day], each of those UI elements tied to a font. For localization, they'd just have to translate all the lines that are in Japanese and copy-paste the text that's already in English. So, say, Afternoon, Night, After School, Morning, etc. Then the game would display those lines in English when the language is set to English and in Japanese when it's set to Japanese.

I don't know how they operate but in my case the artists wouldn't have had to work on anything in this scenario.

QuadOpto

I'm pretty sure Jachaos just put random Japanese in there for a quick example. After all, everyone knows that "Hiragana" is not Saturday, and "Perusona" isn't Monday.:p

EDIT:Ninja'd

Top Bottom