• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Theodoricos

I've almost never been satisfied with multiple endings, but that's personal taste. I feel like I'm always searching for the "best" one, even if that doesn't exist. They also have to weaken some elements of the story to allow for different paths. If endings contain the impact of the story, you're dividing up that impact the more endings you create, but this is my personal opinion.

I dunno, I thought all of Catherine's true endings were all satisfying in their own ways for instance, and I don't think any one of them is the "best" one. But Catherine is built around choices whereas the Persona games haven't been so far, so a multiple ending structure fits Catherine better IMO.

Sophia

Devil Survivor really did multiple endings incredibly well. Can't really think of any other game, especially not SMT wise that matches it.

Shin Megami Tensei 2 and Nocturne did multiple endings well. Not so much any other installment. Strange Journey and IV's endings were downright awful in design.

How did you choose the endings in Strange Journey and SMT2?

Strange Journey is points based like IV, but it's much nicer since your name colour chances with your alignment, and there's a lot more leniency. I honestly didn't think that is was too bad in that regard.

Although the Law and Chaos endings do get a little extreme...

Weiss

Banned
Shin Megami Tensei 2 and Nocturne did multiple endings well. Not so much any other installment. Strange Journey and IV's endings were downright awful in design.

I would argue that even those two kind of messed up.
SMT2 blatantly makes Chaos the right choice and the outright happiest ending, and while Nocturne's original set of endings are all fairly balanced, the True Demon Ending is so blatantly more good than the others in terms of all the extra content it gives you for pursuing it.

I would argue that even those two kind of messed up.
SMT2 blatantly makes Chaos the right choice and the outright happiest ending, and while Nocturne's original set of endings are all fairly balanced, the True Demon Ending is so blatantly more good than the others in terms of all the extra content it gives you for pursuing it.

Funny. I found the
TDE to be abhorrent and felt the light-neutral/freedom/restoration ending was blatantly the best...

arue

Yeah, the second one is the same girl who has a "..." bubble above her head in the image I posted one page earlier. So either you can spend time with her or she gives you a request.

In P3 and P4 S.Links had a bubble with an exclamation mark, while the quests from P4 golden had sweat drops. So it's hard to tell what the new bubble represents.
These two guys have it too in the interview video.
Most likely the Strength S.Links.
http://i.imgur.com/ufAZs3K.jpg

QuadOpto

You know, there's something that worries me, and that's how they're going to handle Morgana's persona
being named after and quite obviously inspired by Zorro.
. From what I know,
"Zorro"
is a character with some strict copyright over it.

Now, I know in Japan and other Asian countries, copyright isn't that big of an issue. They'd probably get away with it just fine in the japanese release. But, for the U.S., and possibly European countries as well (or even more so; I don't know much about european copyright law.), the localization might be hit with a pretty big case...

After all, it goes beyond just the name
Zorro; the design invokes some pretty obvious comparisons with the character, has a big belt buckle with 'Z' on it and even cuts a 'Z' into the air.

Now, should we be reasonably worried or not? It'd suck for something to come up some time close to release that might result in problems with localization everywhere due to some ancient copyright on one, basic figure...

FluxWaveZ

Yeah unfortunately. The point based system wouldn't be that bad if Neutral wasn't such a small interval. You basically had to use a guide.

It's interesting how much I hear this when, in SMT IV, I accessed the Neutral path by just responding to events as I wanted to without looking at any kind of guide.

I still haven't finished the game because of what the Neutral path entails, though.

You know, there's something that worries me, and that's how they're going to handle Morgana's persona
. From what I know,
"Zorro"

Now, I know in Japan and other Asian countries, copyright isn't that big of an issue. They'd probably get away with it just fine in the japanese release. But, for the U.S., and possibly European countries as well (or even more so; I don't know much about european copyright law.), the localization might be hit with a pretty big case...

Zorro; the design invokes some pretty obvious comparisons with the character, has a big belt buckle with 'Z' on it and even cuts a 'Z' into the air.

Now, should we be reasonably worried or not? It'd suck for something to come up some time close to release that might result in problems with localization everywhere due to some ancient copyright on one, basic figure...

Put some shades on him, no one will ever know.

Weiss

Banned
. From what I know,
"Zorro"

From what five minutes on google have told me, the very first Zorro material from 1919 and 1920 is in the public domain. So as long as Morgana's Persona just takes the basic trappings of Zorro, they should be in the clear stateside.

QuadOpto

its private

He made that one private because he made a more complete version* of it. here's that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDY4e3ViifM

*Note that while the translation is pretty great, some lines in it are kind of under contest with other translations, and also some of the lines are color-coded to certain characters, but at some instances it's not clear who's speaking and the coloring may be attributed to someone else.
(For instance, people are wondering if the two red female lines at the beginning may belong to two different characters; one Anne and the other an unknown female party member.(

Sophia

its private

Sorry, check it again. Mystic made that one private, so I updated the link to the other copy of it which is unlisted.

Yeah unfortunately. The point based system wouldn't be that bad if Neutral wasn't such a small interval. You basically had to use a guide.

It's not just that. In regards to those two games (MAJOR SPOILERS)
every ending except the neutral ones are basically bad endings. There's just no way to see the respective law and chaos endings in those games as anything but outright downers, because the neutral endings are so much better in every sense. Heck, the law ending in Strange Journey is literally "The Bad Guys Win." It's stupid as shit.

Morally I think that's the best option, but in terms of game content, you miss out on a lot, including an extra final boss if you don't go TDE.

I honestly don't feel
the labrynth is only for people who want the TDE, especially since that's where you recruit Dante, who iirc can't harm Lucifer in his boss fight. It kind of makes sense, since iirc dialog with him suggests he's more interested in finding out what's going on than continuing to work with the old man by the time you get him.

Weiss

Banned
Sorry, check it again. Mystic made that one private, so I updated the link to the other copy of it which is unlisted.

every ending except the neutral ones are basically bad endings. There's just no way to see the respective law and chaos endings in those games as anything but outright downers, because the neutral endings are so much better in every sense. Heck, the law ending in Strange Journey is literally "The Bad Guys Win." It's stupid as shit.

While Strange Journey and SMT4 outright make the Neutral endings the most traditionally good and heroic, I'd still say they do justice to Law and Chaos. Both factions have outright villainous goals compared to the generic "save the day" message of Neutral, it still ultimately comes off as a choice you can reasonably decide to make after what you've experienced.

I honestly don't feel
the labrynth is only for people who want the TDE, especially since that's where you recruit Dante, who iirc can't harm Lucifer in his boss fight. It kind of makes sense, since iirc dialog with him suggests he's more interested in finding out what's going on than continuing to work with the old man by the time you get him.

(Nocturne)
You still miss the Metatron and Lucifer fights if you don't go TDE though

FluxWaveZ

so...

is that gun shootout
Persona 5's all out attack.

IJqJdZm.gif

Wait, I don't even know if I have to hide this. From what I remember, all the stuff from PV01 could be embedded here, but I might be wrong.

Sophia

While Strange Journey and SMT4 outright make the Neutral endings the most traditionally good and heroic, I'd still say they do justice to Law and Chaos. Both factions have outright villainous goals compared to the generic "save the day" message of Neutral, it still ultimately comes off as a choice you can reasonably decide to make after what you've experienced.

I just can't see them as doing justice when they come off as so blatantly evil. The law ending in Strange Journey feels like a downright caricature of what it usually represents, rather than a legitimate portrayal of "The ends justify the means" as it was in previous installments.

Wait, I don't even know if I have to hide this. From what I remember, all the stuff from PV01 could be embedded here, but I might be wrong.

Technically against the third rule I guess, but I don't think anyone cares. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm wondering if we should rewrite those rules a bit. Like no event/story/boss battle shots, but maybe basic gameplay ones okay?

Jachaos

I love the multiple endings in P4G. It might not have been obvious enough that you could extend the story, maybe they should've had some text saying you should reach out to the truth and bring you back to the choices right after the credits roll (à la Danganronpa) and maybe they shouldn't have made that obtuse choice of "Wanna go home?" "Yes (default)" for the true ending. But other than that, I loved how you could extend and achieve the truth by playing to the game's themes and I loved how unsettling the
accomplice
ending is - and how that social link impacts the actual plot, as does Marie's. If there's one thing I'd prefer more than anything else as far as P5 S. Links go is that they better impact the plot. The S. Links themselves have always been great and there are some standout stories in there but they didn't feel like they had the impact on the plot they should have. Golden started in that direction, I just hope they'll follow.

I think two endings (at the very least) seems like a safe bet. There's been at least that many in the latest instalments and yes, Persona is about choices, maybe not in the traditional sense but in the way you act and respond and live your time in the game world. Considering how Hashino said he liked InFamous Second Son earlier this year, even though I believe there should be more than just a "good" and a "bad" ending, I think that's further evidence to support multiple endings. If the plot can integrate S. Links better, if the choices we make can be clever like in P4G without being as ambiguous, then I think multiple endings for P5 has the potential to be far more immersive, interactive and, well, better, than a single ending. We're talking video games - interactive systems at their core, the media best suited to tell these kinds of non-linear stories. I feel it'd be a waste not to build on the progress made from P3 vanilla to P4 Golden.

_Ryo_

IJqJdZm.gif

well i was gonna ask again in the tgs trailer thread

but yeah, maybe there are 2 versions of All out attack this time?

That song is written by Meguro, just FYI.

I know, that's why I posted it. :)

This is not really an excuse, but P3 is nine years old at this point. Atlus themselves don't even care anymore about spoiling the identity of P4's killer.

Do they? I mean I see
Crazy Face Adachi
but that in itself doesn't they are the killer, just that they aren't the person you think they are. Or am I missing something.

I dunno, I thought all of Catherine's true endings were all satisfying in their own ways for instance, and I don't think any one of them is the "best" one. But Catherine is built around choices whereas the Persona games haven't been so far, so a multiple ending structure fits Catherine better IMO.

I really need to go back to Catherine. I only got the ending where
Vincent marries Katherine.

I kinda liked Persona 3's two endings, where the decision over the endings is very big and obvious. You're not left scratching your head over what lead to the point you're at, or looking up walkthroughs online to get the ending you want.

Maybe the random fire thing is similar to rush?

arue

I'm thinking that the Random Fire command is similar to the Rush command, but more op since you can hit multiple targets this time.

Sophia

I'm still curious as to how physical attacks will be. Seems obvious that they're going to take the SMT IV route and split it melee/guns this time, but of course we don't know for sure. :\

Nimby

Banned
It's interesting how much I hear this when, in SMT IV, I accessed the Neutral path by just responding to events as I wanted to without looking at any kind of guide.

I still haven't finished the game because of what the Neutral path entails, though.

Most people get lucky, even following the guide I accidentally talked to someone that raised my alignment -/+10 depending on what you chose. It's ridiculous because you have no way to back out of that conversation when you enter the room. I only realized it when it was too late.

Absolutely. I haven't finished SJ yet but in SMTIV this is definitely the case.
The law and chaos routes in that game were on par with the "wrong choice" ending with the White. Heck I somehow like that ending better, especially when Burroughs congratulates like always but in that somber tone. Basically all your "friends" die and you're left accomplishing what? Nothing good comes out of the law/chaos endings, you did Lucifer's/God's bidding and that's about it.

FluxWaveZ

Technically against the third rule I guess, but I don't think anyone cares. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm wondering if we should rewrite those rules a bit. Like no event/story/boss battle shots, but maybe basic gameplay ones okay?

Yeah, I don't think it really matters for anything that preceded PV01 and PV01 itself.

Maybe a rewrite would be warranted, but the "basic gameplay" point might be too vague. If that included stuff we see in PV03 like
the P5MC training, swinging a bat or playing a video game
, I could see some people wanting to avoid that stuff.

I like that their Personas are also in there tearing shit up on the all-out attack.

They are? I don't see that.

I kinda liked Persona 3's two endings, where the decision over the endings is very big and obvious. You're not left scratching your head over what lead to the point you're at, or looking up walkthroughs online to get the ending you want.

Where is the decision at so I know where to make a save to see both endings, in as non spoilery way as possible?

Sophia

Yeah, I don't think it really matters for anything that preceded PV01 and PV01 itself.

Maybe a rewrite would be warranted, but the "basic gameplay" point might be too vague. If that included stuff we see in PV03 like
the P5MC training, swinging a bat or playing a video game
, I could see some people wanting to avoid that stuff.

Well. I kind of look at it like this: Anyone who's interested in going on a full blackout has very likely long since left this thread. Especially with all the extensive discussion in regards to PV3 recently. Therefore, I don't think the rules should significantly cater to those people anymore. Thus, yeah, everything from PV1 or earlier should be fair game. PV2 and PV3 on the other hand have more extensive gameplay and story spoilers, as you've noted.

Personally I'd just ditch Rule 3 myself, as I feel Rules 1 and 2 would cover everything important with some simple rewordings. That also coincidentally makes almost everything from PV1 fair game too. Of course, it's up to everyone else (and specifically Dantis) as to what should be done.

At any rate, we've had to remind people not to embed images constantly since PV3 came out. So if nothing else, it'd probably be a good idea to reword those rules + add a "READ OP" in the thread title.

Absolutely. I haven't finished SJ yet but in SMTIV this is definitely the case.
The law and chaos routes in that game were on par with the "wrong choice" ending with the White. Heck I somehow like that ending better, especially when Burroughs congratulates like always but in that somber tone. Basically all your "friends" die and you're left accomplishing what? Nothing good comes out of the law/chaos endings, you did Lucifer's/God's bidding and that's about it.

Oh gods, Strange Journey
is far, far worse than SMT IV is in this regard. I loved the fact that the bosses different between the routes, but the actual Law/Chaos endings SUCK.

cj_iwakura

I personally think keeping any P5 media that's been in trailers out of this thread is absolutely silly. If you should discuss it openly anywhere, it should be a community thread.
Like Sophia said, if you're that paranoid about media blackout, this is the last thread you want to be in.

Oh gods, Strange Journey
is far, far worse than SMT IV is in this regard. I loved the fact that the bosses different between the routes, but the actual Law/Chaos endings SUCK.

SJ has the worst endings, but the best gameplay. It's probably the most balanced SMT since Nocturne, since it never loses its fangs.

I personally think keeping any P5 media that's been in trailers out of this thread is absolutely silly. If you should discuss it openly anywhere, it should be a community thread.
Like Sophia said, if you're that paranoid about media blackout, this is the last thread you want to be in.

SJ has the worst endings, but the best gameplay. It's probably the most balanced SMT since Nocturne, since it never loses its fangs.

Mem Aleph though

Tamanon

Banned
Shame they burned JYB on Yu already. Will have to wait to get more of MC's personality out there, but wonder who they'll get to voice the MC in America.

(Nocturne)
You still miss the Metatron and Lucifer fights if you don't go TDE though

Really? I thought
you could still get Metatron and not get locked into the ending if you turned back right after fighting him. Missing the Lucifer boss makes sense, but imo it's kinda shoehorned in since you're not even enemies at this point. Just something about proving your strength after you already did his job for him.

You all know it's going to be Bryce Papenbrook

Matt Mercer Maybe?

Really? I thought
you could still get Metatron and not get locked into the ending if you turned back right after fighting him. Missing the Lucifer boss makes sense, but imo it's kinda shoehorned in since you're not even enemies at this point. Just something about proving your strength after you already did his job for him.

Yeah, that's right actually, so it is just Lucifer

Top Bottom