• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

cj_iwakura

I wonder how many people realize that(Nocturne)
You aren't even really fighting Lucy at full strength. That's just his shadow.

Kaz said he has yet to reveal his true strength, and I sure hope IV wasn't supposed to be it.

I wonder how many people realize that(Nocturne)
You aren't even really fighting Lucy at full strength. That's just his shadow.

Kaz said he has yet to reveal his true strength, and I sure hope IV wasn't supposed to be it.

I see
IV!Lucifer as a tired, frustrated, bitter old man. Moreso than when he's an actual old man.

FluxWaveZ

Two random predictions:

• Shin Megami Tensei V will be announced on November 24, 2015. It will be announced with a tease like Persona 5 and Etrian Odyssey V, and it won't have a release date associated with it. It'll actually be slated for mid-2017.
  • An SMT spin-off, studio collaboration project will be announced on November 24, 2015 for 2016.

DNAbro

Two random predictions:

• Shin Megami Tensei V will be announced on November 24, 2015. It will be announced with a tease like Persona 5 and Etrian Odyssey V, and it won't have a release date associated with it. It'll actually be slated for mid-2017.
  • An SMT spin-off, studio collaboration project will be announced on November 24, 2015 for 2016.

why that date?

DNAbro

You know before the Persona 5 delay I decided to not get P4DAN and focus on other games. Since it got delayed I am now getting the game plus a bigger Vita memory card. So Atlus got lucky with that. I need some type of Persona fix lol

Theodoricos

I should play Persona 2 in the meantime while we're waiting. Always meant to. I just hope I'll be able to stomach the (supposedly) lackluster gameplay for the great story.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
You know before the Persona 5 delay I decided to not get P4DAN and focus on other games. Since it got delayed I am now getting the game plus a bigger Vita memory card. So Atlus got lucky with that. I need some type of Persona fix lol

Yu Narukami get's another.

cj_iwakura

I should play Persona 2 in the meantime while we're waiting. Always meant to. I just hope I'll be able to stomach the (supposedly) lackluster gameplay for the great story.

If you can handle any turn based RPG, you can handle Persona 2. The only sticking point is high random battle frequency, and the fact that you could go crazy being OCD with all the new dialogue at every location between story beats.

Two random predictions:

If that were to happen I'd bet on SMT V not being given a date at all. reading comprehension

But I think it's too soon after IV for it anyway.

and they do still have to actually reveal Etrian V.

FluxWaveZ

But I think it's too soon after IV for it anyway.

and they do still have to actually reveal Etrian V.

Keep these things in mind, however:

• Naoto Hiroaka has teased that a game will be announced in the near future. He had a similar tease last year where EO2U was announced soon after, succeeded by the EO stream on November 24, 2014.
  • If SMT V was announced this year and ended up being released in 2017, that would follow a similar trend to how they've been announcing their flagship titles recently. Persona 5: 2013 -> 2016; EOV: 2014 -> ??? (2016?); SMTV: 2015 -> 2017.
  • 2017 would be 4 years after SMT IV. That's lengthy enough for a mainline sequel, even though SMT games tend to have long ass intervals between them.
  • Considering November 24, 2013 was Persona day and November 24, 2014 was Etrian Odyssey day—despite it being pretty much baseless—I do think the possibility is there for November 24, 2015 being SMT day.
It's the spin-off I'm mainly thinking about, though. Ever since that Atlus survey in March, I've had this hunch based on their interesting and specific game concept options.

Keep these things in mind, however:

• Naoto Hiroaka has teased that a game will be announced in the near future. He had a similar tease last year where EO2U was announced soon after, succeeded by the EO stream on November 24, 2013.
  • If SMT V was announced this year and ended up being released in 2017, that would follow a similar trend to how they've been announcing their flagship titles recently. Persona 5: 2013 -> 2016; EOV: 2014 -> ??? (2016?); SMTV: 2015 -> 2017.
  • 2017 would be 4 years after SMT IV. That's lengthy enough for a mainline sequel, even though SMT games tend to have long ass intervals between them.
  • Considering November 24, 2013 was Persona day and November 24, 2014 was Etrian Odyssey day—despite it being pretty much baseless—I do think the possibility is there for November 24, 2015 being SMT day.
It's the spin-off I'm mainly thinking about, though. Ever since that Atlus survey in March, I've had this hunch based on their interesting and specific game concept options.

I've kind of been expecting them to do a number of spinoffs between mainline SMT releases. All we've had since IV is Break Record, and that's just a rerelease, and P5 incoming I guess. Although I guess SMT V is the best thing to tease at the end of a reveal stream. They can still forget about it for a few years after that.

God I hope not. The 2 things that I've heard him in I didn't care for his voice.

How long is each story in PQ? Wanna finish all the P3/P4 games by the end of the year so I'm looking at budgeting time for games.

I clocked in at 78 hours and 14 minutes for JUST the P4 side.

I expect that if I start P3 side, it'll be a lot shorter due to NG+ advantages.

Squire

Banned
Immense amounts of wishful thinking, but maybe Summer 2016 is the absolute latest they think balancing and bug testing will take them, and the game will come out earlier.

I think people should just remember "Summer" means summer. It doesn't mean "late June", but it doesn't have to mean "the end of September" either. I wouldn't lean too far into optimism or pessimism until closer to that time.

I'll take "Summer" to mean any point from May to October, so a very loose definition of "Summer". Wouldn't want to guess at what point it will fall within that window though

Squire

Banned
Then they come out and say Spring 2016. Lol.

They're not going to do that because no one does. They've set the time for how much they need. At most, games occasionally get pushed up a week or two and that's probably just based on internal projections that the game would do better at launch and it'd already be ready to roll out to stores.

Edit: And although it's probably a different beast in Japan than the west, I'm sure, QA never gets enough time to fix everything. Extra time before launch is almost always going to be allocated to them.

I know P-Studio is super busy with P5, but is there any chance of there being a Catherine day anytime soon? It's been over 4 years since we got the first one and still no talk about a sequel/spiritual successor T_T

I mean, didn't the first game sold like really good by Atlus's standards?

Since we're making random predictions, I felt I should make one too, but about when Persona 5 will release in Japan.

Every mainline Persona game by the P-Studio so far has released in July. This excludes spin-offs, updated rereleases, or enhanced ports. I'm just talking about Persona 3 and Persona 4 here.

Persona 3 was released in Japan on July 13, 2006 and was announced on March 8, 2006 in Famitsu.

Persona 4 was released in Japan on July 10, 2008 in Japan and was announced on March 18, 2008 in Famitsu.

So with that, I think Persona 5 will release in Japan on July 7, 2016, with a release date announcement done via stream in March, 2016. It would fit into the "Summer 2016" release window, while also following a pattern. Every release date would go back by three days. 13, 10, 7. It'd be pretty nice, and is actually a possibility, as July 7, 2016 falls on a Thursday. It also fits the four month period between release date announcement and release.

Catherine doesn't strike me as something that you could really do a successor for. Outside of reusing the Golden Playhouse framing at least. The story is completely self contained, and outside of adding online multiplayer, I'm not really sure on how they could expand on the gameplay either, at least not to the degree of changing things up enough for a sequel. Maybe an enhanced current gen port would work though.

FluxWaveZ

I know P-Studio is super busy with P5, but is there any chance of there being a Catherine day anytime soon? It's been over 4 years since we got the first one and still no talk about a sequel/spiritual successor T_T

I mean, didn't the first game sold like, really good by Atlus's standards?

It sold very well for what it was—it's said to be Atlus USA's most successful game to date, particularly—but no. Despite Index wanting to turn "Catherine" into a brand analogous to Persona (they did put out a light novel), Naoto Hiraoka stated this in 2012:
Catherine was well received in 2011, said Hiraoka. The game's success on the worldwide stage gave the Atlus development staff confidence in their future developments.

Despite the success, it looks like we won't be seeing an anime conversion or a spinoff for Catherine. These types of developments would be difficult, as Catherine was itself a difficult game to make.
Catherine was a one-off. You could always see another new IP from P Studio, though (after P5).

Hiraoka stated that Atlus desires to create new IPs when asked about their future when he hinted at the game they will have to announce soon, so...

Catherine doesn't strike me as something that you could really do a successor for. Outside of reusing the Golden Playhouse framing at least. The story is completely self contained, and outside of adding online multiplayer, I'm not really sure on how they could expand on the gameplay either, at least not to the degree of changing things up enough for a sequel. Maybe an enhanced current gen port would work though.

I don't know. I agree that story and characters need to be completely fresh but the gameplay itself was great and they managed to keep it fresh throughout the game by adding new blocks that changed the dynamic of how the player should approach them.

I really think they can do awesome work if they try to expand upon the idea of the first game by adding new climbing tools, different and dynamic environments/levels, new kind of enemies, new blocks, etc etc.
It sold very well for what it was—it's said to be Atlus USA's most successful game to date, particularly—but no. Despite Index wanting to turn "Catherine" into a brand analogous to Persona (they did put out a light novel), Naoto Hiraoka stated this in 2012:

Catherine was a one-off. You could always see another new IP from P Studio, though (after P5).

Hiraoka stated that Atlus desires to create new IPs when asked about their future when he hinted at the game they will have to announce soon, so...

Ugh, that statement by Naoto Hiraoka just killed all my hopes for a new Catherine T_T

But I like the sound of them making a new IP after P5. Last time they did that, it turned out to be a great game that I fell in love with so I'm really looking forward to whatever they announce after P5.

Squire

Banned
Since we're making random predictions, I felt I should make one too, but about when Persona 5 will release in Japan.

Every mainline Persona game by the P-Studio so far has released in July. This excludes spin-offs, updated rereleases, or enhanced ports. I'm just talking about Persona 3 and Persona 4 here.

Persona 3 was released in Japan on July 13, 2006 and was announced on March 8, 2006 in Famitsu.

Persona 4 was released in Japan on July 10, 2008 in Japan and was announced on March 18, 2008 in Famitsu.

So with that, I think Persona 5 will release in Japan on July 7, 2016, with a release date announcement done via stream in March, 2016. It would fit into the "Summer 2016" release window, while also following a pattern. Every release date would go back by three days. 13, 10, 7. It'd be pretty nice, and is actually a possibility, as July 7, 2016 falls on a Thursday. It also fits the four month period between release date announcement and release.

Man, I guarantee no one puts as much thought into dates as you guys do.

I could see July though, sure.

arue

I combined the parts from all the PVs so far and somehow made a Persona 5 OP (At least for the first minute). I was about to fill in the missing parts with anime cutscenes instead of the gameplay footage, but I figured that the color scheme doesn't match the red/black/white in the OP.
That was their plan all along; to give you more time to check out the P4 spinoffs
and to check out the older games. Joking obviously.

QuadOpto

Unless they literally won't hand ATLUS USA the game until after they release it in Japan, I honestly can't see it taking til December just for localization.

If they are truthful about being complete with the main game, and only focusing on "polish" for now, I could see them sending at least the script, if not the game to begin translating and creating assets for, should they need to, soon.

Then again, I lost a bet for optimistic beliefs in release dates, so maybe I should just stay quiet...

I clocked in at 78 hours and 14 minutes for JUST the P4 side.

I expect that if I start P3 side, it'll be a lot shorter due to NG+ advantages.

And it's only shorter on NG+ if you choose to carry over NG+ stuff, which in PQ is "absolutely everything" or "absolutely nothing at all, not even the compendium," and IMO, carrying over levels makes RPG replays boring, so...

Jachaos

But July 7th 2016 would mean Persona 5 releases just a week before Persona 3 10th Anniversary: FeMC Strikes Back for PS4. I think it'd be too short a turnaround.

Darksol

Agreed. I absolutely love Catherine, but I'm not really sure how you make a Catherine 2.

FluxWaveZ

I combined the parts from all the PVs so far and somehow made a Persona 5 OP (At least for the first minute). I was about to fill in the missing parts with anime cutscenes instead of the gameplay footage, but I figured that the color scheme doesn't match the red/black/white in the OP.

Made a real quick.gif of the skating segment I mentioned was missing:

1M7VI3x.gif

I thought her segment went too fast in PV01, so I like how it actually does last longer and has more movement to it.

Oh, and the P3M Finale Event in March is the ultimatum for a Persona 3 remake/remaster/whatever. If it's not announced there, it is never going to be made ever and deal with it.

mdubs

Banned
Thinking back to the first wild countdown knowing, it almost seems surreal some of the worries that people had about Persona, like that P5 was actually going to be Persona 4-2 or that Sho would be the main character of P5.

FluxWaveZ

I didn't see anyone mention the direct connection after seeing PV03, since I think we all expected it, but it's cool to see that there will indeed be a
texting system of some kind in the game. Being able to create texts like in Catherine would be a neat touch.

Top Bottom