• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

FluxWaveZ

Thanks for the clarification on the Spanish-American thing though. No idea why it'd translate to that. At least we have some new info on a fifth character though, right?

Well, not quite. Again, that info's old; what I wrote:
Yusuke Kitagawa [...] voiced by Tomokazu Sugita.

His Persona is Goemon, and he has earned an art scholarship as a painter. He comes from a different high school than Shujin High School—where the other confirmed party members attend—by the name of “Kousei Public High School,” as part of the academy’s art course. “He is a live-in disciple of his Japanese painter landlord Madarame.”

Sophia

Yeah, I have my phone set to auto-translate and what it spit out was essentially a run-on sentence with some punctuation here and there. As is evident, I know zero in regards to the Japanese language, written or spoken.

Thanks for the clarification on the Spanish-American thing though. No idea why it'd translate to that. At least we have some new info on a fifth character though, right?

Technically, yes, we have new information. The problem is we already had said information in other threads and more accurately translated. :p

If you are going to toss something in auto-translate, please be honest about it upfront. It's very deceptive to not say otherwise, especially because it's immediately obvious to anyone regardless if they know Japanese or not.

I know that this has been translated before, but just in case, I'm going to post my translation of it, which I translated myself with no outside tools. This way, further confusion can be prevented. I know that this has been translated before on other sites, which have also accurately translated it, but I felt like posting my translation to prevent any confusion or spread of information that may be mistranslated.

To prevent any spoilers, I've made sure to spoiler tag everything in accordance with the rules of this thread.

This is a translation of the latest details on Persona 5 from the upcoming issue of Famitsu:

Story:
The main character and has crew refer to themselves as the "Phantom Thieves of Hearts." They send an advance notice to their victims as a way of repenting for their wrong-doings by confessing their crimes, and are out to fix a corrupted world run by corrupted adults by stealing their corrupted hearts.

Protagonist (Voiced by Jun Fukuyama)
Persona: Arsene
The main character is a second-year at Shujin High School.
He lives in a coffee shop run by an acquaintance of his parents.

Ryuji Sakamoto (Voiced by Mamoru Miyano)
Persona: Captain Kidd
A 16-year old attending Shujin High School.
He is known for being quite the troublemaker, yet there seems to be more to him.

Morgana (Voiced by Ikue Ohtani)
Persona: Zorro
A mysterious cat-like creature who reached out to the protagonist and Ryuji by chance.
It can talk and shapeshift.

An Takamaki (Voiced by Nana Mizuki)
Persona: Carmen
A second-year student at Shujin High School.
She is a quarter American, and feels alone in her surrondings.

Yuusuke Kitagawa (Voiced by Tomokazu Sugita)
Persona: Goemon
A student at Kousei Public High School who studies at an art course at the school via a scholarship.
He is a live-in disciple of his landlord Madarame, a Japanese painter.

Nick_C

My apologies everyone. It was pretty stupid of me to present everything so matter-of-factly when the translation was shaky, at best.

Anyway, thanks for some much needed clarification on some of the details. I humbly accept the inevitable ribbing that will be a result of this. Honestly, I messed up, and I'm sorry for that.

sector4

Popping my head in to show my avatar as I lost the bet haha!

I didn't want to steal anyone else's, so I made my own, I hope no one else is already using Yumi.

Edit: Changed to P3 protag because it's funnier haha

My apologies everyone. It was pretty stupid of me to present everything so matter-of-factly when the translation was shaky, at best.

Anyway, thanks for some much needed clarification on some of the details. I humbly accept the inevitable ribbing that will be a result of this. Honestly, I messed up, and I'm sorry for that.

It's all good.

Since this fits the topic, and may help people in the future, I'd like to say something.

I know that there are quite a few people in this thread who also know Japanese, but if you ever feel like you're uncertain about the way something is translated and want help with it or want to know if it's correct or not, just PM me and I'll check it out for you to ensure something like this doesn't happen.

This way there won't be any confusion over details or anything like that.

Zolo

It's fine. There's a reason though that google translation of Japanese text is generally taken with a grain of salt though. It's too easy for it to be garbled.

Sophia

It's all good.

Since this fits the topic, and may help people in the future, I'd like to say something.

I know that there are quite a few people in this thread who also know Japanese, but if you ever feel like you're uncertain about the way something is translated and want help with it or want to know if it's correct or not, just PM me and I'll check it out for you to ensure something like this doesn't happen.

This way there won't be any confusion over details or anything like that.

Actually... I'm curious. You wouldn't happen to have an idea as to why Google Translate takes "アメリカ系" and translates it as "American and Hispanic" would you? I presume that "系" has some meaning that I'm unaware of.

Maybe it's simply making a really weird assumption given the word "系" and based on what people have put in before. *shrugs*

Maybe Google Translate meant 'American and Hispanic' as 'North American' or 'From the Americas'?

Both regions include both types of people. :/

Thanks again for being so understanding everyone. I'll definitely double check with MysticDistance if I ever come across anything like that again.

I'm just as crushed as the rest of PersonaGAF after the recent delay of P5 and I let the excitement of the "new" info get the better of me.

Lesson learned.

Don't worry about it. Gaffes on GAF are par for the course nowadays. :p

Nick_C

Thanks again for being so understanding everyone. I'll definitely double check with MysticDistance if I ever come across anything like that again.

I'm just as crushed as the rest of PersonaGAF after the recent delay of P5 and I let the excitement of the "new" info get the better of me.

Lesson learned.

FluxWaveZ

Oh wow, Mystic pointed out to me that Lyn Inaizumi herself RT'd my tweet:
vfu634v.png
Her Twitter for those who haven't seen it yet and want to follow.

Speaking of which, I'm one of the people who immediately liked her vocals to the main theme, this is as one who was saying in this community how I wasn't sure I'd prefer lyrics added to the OP theme for P5 because of how much I liked the instrumental version.

I'm kind of surprised by the amount of negative reactions I've seen, actually. I'm sure when we actually get to hear a clean version and as time goes on, people will come to appreciate her voice added to it. Listening to her music, I'm confident that stuff like city themes will be amazing with her vocals.

I didn't really like her voice in the song when I first heard it, but it's grown on me since then and now I like it and think it fits well. I guess it just wasn't quite what I was expecting.

Makio

I'm kind of surprised by the amount of negative reactions I've seen, .

Beats me man , really suprise me even people are asking Hirata back and everything ... like we are hearing the same voice , people need to check her voice / music.

Sure the opening sounds weird and all because the file is not HD yet and her vocals are kinda low compared to the instrumental (which got those awesome guitar parts).

But damn that lady have maybe the best range in the series so far , in a duet she can completely destroy Hirata and keep Kawamura level or even surpass her.

Kinda annoys me when Hirata and Kawamura do a duet in the Persona concerts because Kawamura voice is so strong it completely overshadow Hirata which got a good voice in her own.

But i think Lyn can be the one is going to overshadow both in the future ... she got the potential that opening use the low vocals.. maybe another song can unlock her full voice (in a matter of speaking)

Jachaos

It was exactly the kind I was expecting. I love the new version. Once the sound quality and mixing is improved and (hopefully) they add the guitar back in now that they're done with the reveal/showcase.

I can kind of understand the negative reactions, if only because we've had the instrumental version for the longest time now. That and I'm sure what we heard was a bit rough and surely not the final mix. Now that I've listened to it more than a few times I can say I like it more than I initially did.

I know it's not the finished product, however there is something about the song that is different from the past openings. I can't quite place my finger on it but it feels like it's missing a part to me, even for a shorter version. The vocals sort of "mesh" together. I don't know.

Like Inquisitive_Ghost said, I don't belive most of us were expecting a sound like that.

Makio

I only know a song Lyn X Lotus Juice can be the hottest shit ever.

Well maybe that i always personally love all the songs with Lotus Juice + some persona singer like Mass Destruction , Beauty of Destiny , Break Out Of...

I hope we get a new track in the OVA / Anime and they dont re use tracks of the game , dont i dont mind that , i simply want more P5 music lol.

pariah164

I recently beat Persona 4 Golden for the fifteenth time. Before that, I beat P3P for the second time (fresh on my PS Vita, due to data loss). I'm still trying to beat PQ because I'm trapped in grinding hell.

All this talk about P5 is great, but at the same time, I couldn't care less because I don't have the console to play it, nor the means to buy it in the near future. So all I can get hyped about is P4DAN, which leads to this question: Should I catch up on events from P4 Arena (again, lacked the console) to understand certain things, or is P4DAN another non-canon game?

Managed to make some MP3s of two of the new pieces of music from PV03 and the Staff Interview. One is what I'm assuming is the boss battle theme, the other is the piece that plays over the end of the Hashino interview; obviously I have no clue what context these are used in in P5 itself, so hopefully nobody takes the names I put on them and runs wild.

Let me know if these links aren't working:

The "boss theme"

Chill song from the end of the Hashino interview. (extended)

To me sounds like the theme is going to sound when you "hangout" in the Cafe

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...Hideout.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150206184822
Heh. I don't really know what to expect from Meguro after getting very jazz heavy tracks like the opening and that "chill" track, and then hearing the very typical Meguro-sounding battle (presumably) theme in PV03.

I could see that being P5's Reverie, or just the "hanging out at home" track. I can imagine it playing with the sound of rain beating on the roof as MC's in his room. It'll be interesting to see where this music winds up.

Makio

You can be right , actually both tracks that sound in that interview sounds so chilling and jazzy but that one you extended give me a Catherine feels i cant shake.

I really imagine Vincent taking his beer with friends when i hear that one lol

So far all the tracks are amazing , no surprise but i really digging the jazz vibe.

PD: Despite i prefer more "agressive" tracks like the PV03 theme. Glad Meguro give me at least that one.

I fixed the video. Everything should be alright now. Hopefully. Thanks Flux and Jachaos for the help. And Sophia too, for pointing out the audio problem in the earlier videos.

https://youtu.be/K2zhF_XSzo0

This is an excellent job, and it's making the wait for this game unbearable
you fiend!

Edit: Watching this is making me realize that the painter party member has really uncontrolled, ungraceful movements compared to everyone else. Even Ryuji seems to move more smoothly and he's not really figure skating much.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Managed to make some MP3s of two of the new pieces of music from PV03 and the Staff Interview. One is what I'm assuming is the boss battle theme, the other is the piece that plays over the end of the Hashino interview; obviously I have no clue what context these are used in in P5 itself, so hopefully nobody takes the names I put on them and runs wild.

Let me know if these links aren't working:

The "boss theme"

Chill song from the end of the Hashino interview. (extended)

This is why you're da man!

FluxWaveZ

Yu was too cool to play video games, but P3MC was an avid MMO player and he liked to hang out at the local arcade, while P5MC is into retro gaming.

Meia

Oh, and the P3M Finale Event in March is the ultimatum for a Persona 3 remake/remaster/whatever. If it's not announced there, it is never going to be made ever and deal with it.

You mean we're still not at a point where people know better than to make ultimatums and say "never" after the last few months when it comes to Atlus? :p

FluxWaveZ

You mean we're still not at a point where people know better than to make ultimatums and say "never" after the last few months when it comes to Atlus? :p

If people still cling to the idea after that, my mindset will solely be: "You mean we're still not at a point where people know better than to constantly hope for a P3 remake after it's been a decade since its original release, 7 years after P3P, after it has had 3 separate releases already, after a revival has occurred with the movie adaptations and after there was no project announced at a P3 event dubbed the "Finale"?"

Meia

If people still cling to the idea after that, my mindset will solely be: "You mean we're still not at a point where people know better than to constantly hope for a P3 remake after it's been a decade since its original release, 7 years after P3P, after it has had 3 separate releases already, after a revival has occurred with the movie adaptations and after there was no project announced at a P3 event dubbed the "Finale"?"

...touche salesman. :p

muteki

I'm sure I'll warm up to the new vocals in time. Part of the problem is I've been listening to the instrumental version for ~7 months and in my mind that is the "correct" version as it came first, which does a disservice to Lyn and what the song will ultimately be. Which I'm sure will be great.

Lunar15

Yu was too cool to play video games, but P3MC was an avid MMO player and he liked to hang out at the local arcade, while P5MC is into retro gaming.

Well, Yu did have a PS2 in his room. He also built gundam figurines, so he's still a nerd.

I'm kind of surprised by the amount of negative reactions I've seen, actually. I'm sure when we actually get to hear a clean version and as time goes on, people will come to appreciate her voice added to it. Listening to her music, I'm confident that stuff like city themes will be amazing with her vocals.

I'm pretty torn. I think they got the right kind of singer, but she definitely sounds weak in the opening. There's parts where she just doesn't have the power she's trying to have. I find this weird considering she shows her full range in her other songs that you can hear on youtube and soundcloud. I hope it's mixing and I'll write it off as that. That said, I'm also someone who wasn't floored by the instrumental song either. It lacks a certain oomph, even before you add vocals.

I still like it, and it's definitely catchy: I've been humming it all weekend.

Jachaos

She has the jazzy singing down pat, the song's not about screaming as high a pitch as possible and she doesn't try to so I don't see where the concerns are coming from on that front. I do believe it's once again people being stuck in a mindset after hearing a version for so long and then not reacting favourably to change. That or the audio quality but if you can't make abstraction of that and listen to the version for what it is right now then I don't know what to tell you. The quality will be improved, the mixing will be improved, you won't hear the finger snap at the beginning and hopefully the guitar will be added back in and all should be great. I loved it from the get go because she simply fits the bill perfectly. If you're looking for that raw stuff from Kawamura (which fit P3) perfectly or that more high-pitch stuff from Shihoko (which fit the pop vibe of P4 perfectly) then of course you won't get it in a new game's differing atmosphere.

I'm sure the new singer can do an amazing version of Heaven and that's exactly the kind of singing we'll be looking for, not the Time to Make History kind (even though I adore that song and I'm confident Lyn could do it, she's going to be jazzier and not follow that set of notes).

Sophia

I immediately took a liking to her vocals, but I had listened to the instrumental song and acid jazz so much that I knew exactly what kind of vocalist to expect. The guitar track where the vocals are suppose to be in the instrumental song is very obvious, so you could tell what it was suppose to sound like.

She has the jazzy singing down pat, the song's not about screaming as high a pitch as possible and she doesn't try to so I don't see where the concerns are coming from on that front. I do believe it's once again people being stuck in a mindset after hearing a version for so long and then not reacting favourably to change. That or the audio quality but if you can't make abstraction of that and listen to the version for what it is right now then I don't know what to tell you. The quality will be improved, the mixing will be improved, you won't hear the finger snap at the beginning and hopefully the guitar will be added back in and all should be great. I loved it from the get go because she simply fits the bill perfectly. If you're looking for that raw stuff from Kawamura (which fit P3) perfectly or that more high-pitch stuff from Shihoko (which fit the pop vibe of P4 perfectly) then of course you won't get it in a new game's differing atmosphere.

I'm sure the new singer can do an amazing version of Heaven and that's exactly the kind of singing we'll be looking for, not the Time to Make History kind (even though I adore that song and I'm confident Lyn could do it, she's going to be jazzier and not follow that set of notes).

If you mean the guitar that was being used as a substitute for the vocal track in the instrumental version, no it won't be added back in. You wouldn't want it back in anyhow; it's meant to replace the vocals in the instrumental version so the song still sounds complete.

PK Gaming

As far as Persona OPs go, I think P5 is my favorite. I realize that we haven't gotten the full thing yet, but I gotta say I really, really dig it.

FluxWaveZ

I got the art book.
I wasn't expecting too much, but there's actually some really cool stuff in here. It has a nice amount of cool concept art. It has that common concept which was in the PQ art book of each character commenting on another (Reminder: Persona Q: Official Visual Materials is slated for a Summer 2016 release). It's way more complete than some I thought it would be; thought this was gonna be P4AU Official Design Works redux.

Did you know that P4D's Hatsune Miku was voiced by Saki Fujita? I didn't. I thought it was just a robot.

Sophia

I suspect the vocal version of the P5 theme was actually made first, to be honest. You can sing along to the instrumental theme and the guitar matches up perfectly with what's being sung by Lynn.

The music from PV#2 has a very similar guitar element to the instrumental opening, which makes me very excited to hear the vocal version. I bet it'll sound great.

Lunar15

I don't know what the musical term is for this, but I really like that Meguro starts all of his openings (and most of his songs, really) with a really catchy opening tune so that you can immediately recognize which song it is. P5's OP is no different in this regard.

Anywho, I've got absolutely no problems with the singer they got, I'm really hyped for Lyn. I love her work so far and she definitely has the potential to be my favorite singer of the bunch. I think she's really going to nail some of the lounge-ier themes. The real test will be the battle theme, though. That's the song that we're going to hear a billion times over, so it better be great! (I think it's the PV02 theme myself)

Jachaos

I immediately took a liking to her vocals, but I had listened to the instrumental song and acid jazz so much that I knew exactly what kind of vocalist to expect. The guitar track where the vocals are suppose to be in the instrumental song is very obvious, so you could tell what it was suppose to sound like.

If you mean the guitar that was being used as a substitute for the vocal track in the instrumental version, no it won't be added back in. You wouldn't want it back in anyhow; it's meant to replace the vocals in the instrumental version so the song still sounds complete.

I don't necessarily want the same riff to be playing in the background to the singer, I just want that sound. It brought some colour that was lost. I just want that sound to be added back in the song. It's true that putting the same guitar track as was would not be very interesting with the singer already filling the exact same role. When you listen to PV02 it's also obvious where the vocals will be and she'll sing the lyrics to how the guitar currently is in that track.

Did you know that P4D's Hatsune Miku was voiced by Saki Fujita? I didn't. I thought it was just a robot.

Interestingly, it was clearly Fujita's own voice in the Miku DLC PV, but in the game itself it's just straight up Vocaloid Miku providing the voice bits.

but yea they gotta sample those vocals from something

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, all the vocaloids have an actual human singer at their core. I dont fully understand how the program works, but it's cool tech nonetheless.

Interestingly, it was clearly Fujita's own voice in the Miku DLC PV, but in the game itself it's just straight up Vocaloid Miku providing the voice bits.

but yea they gotta sample those vocals from something

Oh, I knew that the vocaloids had their voices derived from real people, but I somehow didn't think that Saki Fujita was supposed to be the "Miku" voice until I checked just now. Huh, does that mean she gets credited every time "Miku" performs anywhere? Interesting.

Top Bottom