• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

mdubs

Banned
Random question, but is there still no known reason aside from "circumstances" why EP for PSP never came over here?

Random question, but is there still no known reason aside from "circumstances" why EP for PSP never came over here?

The most likely and pleasurable reason probably has to do with coding, like they probably couldn't get anyone who could take time out of their work schedule to do the programming they needed to be done for the localized version, since ATLUS USA doesn't do any programming in-house on their end, it's all up the developers to assist them with the implementation of the localized script, assets, and other changes to the game for that specific version. Which wouldn't surprise me as I remember someone saying that the PSP version of Innocent Sin was a programming nightmare to just get the localized script and assets into the game. It's only a theory though, there's probably other reasons why it didn't come over.

Lusankya

So, no leak of this week's Famitsu issue yet?
I hope we learn something new from the interview and maybe get official art of the personas or Yuusuke.

Zolo

At this point, it's easier for me to just get pleasantly surprised by news now that we have at least another 8 months to go.

I thought of something rewatching PV 03.

In PV 03, we see the MC is captured and tortured for information. At the end of PV 03 where he's still in the interrogation room, which must be chronologically later because he's already beaten up, his expression suggests he may have regained control of the situation, so perhaps he was captured on purpose.

Could they be going after someone significant in the police force? If they want to "fix" a "corrupt society," that's a pretty lofty goal. The kind that requires messing with some major authority figures.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure before PV 01 I remember seeing people disappointed that the MC was so timid looking, which is hilarious in retrospect. Dude seems to have a lot of pent-up rage.

VegiHam

Looks like a bunch of Persona games are on sale in Euroland as of today. FES, P3P, and P1 PSP are. It looks like P2IS PSP is, but not on its own, only in a bundle with P3P.

So, no leak of this week's Famitsu issue yet?
I hope we learn something new from the interview and maybe get official art of the personas or Yuusuke.

A few things just came out now. Mystic's translated most of it if you scroll through his past hour of tweets: https://twitter.com/MysticDistance

Original source: http://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/46355511.html

To sum up some of the new details, all taken from Mystic's translation:
The Palace is the alternate world, the castle, gallery, pyramids, and the other dungeons are all part of it. The characters use the app: "Isekainabi" we saw in the trailer to find their way to locations connected to the Palace.

Characters each awaken in different parts of the Palace.

Morgana is a sort of navigator in addition to being a party member.

The long development has been due to the amount of content in the game.

The cast all feel as if they've lost their place in the world, so they're trying to help others by using the app to steal the hearts of bad people. They will reform and change as the game goes on. Targets aren't always specific criminals though.

You can explore a lot of Tokyo.

The story will be structured like an omnibus.

To people not involved, the phantom thieves are seen as spirits.

The SNS feature allows you to affect other characters in some form.

Looks like a bunch of Persona games are on sale in Euroland as of today. FES, P3P, and P1 PSP are. It looks like P2IS PSP is, but not on its own, only in a bundle with P3P.

I might as well buy FES just for the hell of it, then. Is the version on PSN the American one or the terrible PAL transfer? It has the US cover and is published by Atlus, so I wanna assume it's the former...

edit: nvm it's right there in the description lmao (it's the import)

cj_iwakura

The most likely and pleasurable reason probably has to do with coding, like they probably couldn't get anyone who could take time out of their work schedule to do the programming they needed to be done for the localized version, since ATLUS USA doesn't do any programming in-house on their end, it's all up the developers to assist them with the implementation of the localized script, assets, and other changes to the game for that specific version. Which wouldn't surprise me as I remember someone saying that the PSP version of Innocent Sin was a programming nightmare to just get the localized script and assets into the game. It's only a theory though, there's probably other reasons why it didn't come over.

That's my theory as well. They had a lot of other projects going on at that time, and it was a low priority due to the lackluster sales of EP in Japan(which still makes me sad).

artsi

Famitsu uploaded an interview with him when he was at E3 last year, but I suck at understanding normal spoken Japanese so I can't help you with a translation. The guy from Famitsu basically talks about Soejima's signing session and how there seemed to be an equal amount of men and women interested in P4U2. Soejima also seems quite flattered when the interviewer mentions that the picture with his autograph will be "super rare".

Cool, I've missed this, thanks. He's a nice guy and I wish he appeared more in the public.

And I would pay for a Persona 5 "making of" film in general. I loved to watch the MGS and Silent Hill features when they came out.

The long development has been due to the amount of content in the game.

As sad as I am about the delay, this is music to my ears.

kiyoaki

What would this mean? I think I'm missing something.
It means the plot will be structured like a collection of self-contained sub-stories. オムニバス (omnibus) in Japanese commonly refers to compilations of short stories that have already appeared elsewhere before, albums with songs by "various artists," etc.

Still no Famitsu pics out there?

Weebos

Banned
It means the plot will be structured like a collection of self-contained sub-stories. オムニバス (omnibus) in Japanese commonly refers to compilations of short stories that have already appeared elsewhere before, albums with songs by "various artists," etc.

That sounds awesome to me.

Pics should be out in about an hour and a half

arue

The structure reminds me of Resonance of Fate and I love that game.

Honestly though, this is one of those times where I would rather have some of that stuff as DLC.

I wanted this game by the holidays.
I'd rather they take the time they need to make the game that they want to make rather than rush to meet a deadline. It's not often that developers get that kind of freedom but when they do it can potentially produce something incredible.

artsi

Honestly though, this is one of those times where I would rather have some of that stuff as DLC.

I wanted this game by the holidays.

I know the pain, I was raging when I saw the trailer's ending, but it's good to know that at least the game will be packed with content when it does come out.

Lunar15

Y'know, I've got nothing but goodwill for the Persona team but I always take statements like that with a grain of salt. They could be telling the truth, and I'm sure they are adding more content... but missed deadlines is almost always the result of things taking longer to do than expected, unexpected issues, and bungled timelines. I dunno, it's easy to say "it's delayed because we're making it even better!" but that's always definitely a bit of sugar coating.

I'm not saying the game's going to come out bad or anything like that, no, I want them to take their time and make sure the game is as polished as possible. But I also just don't take statements like that at face value. I'm sure making this game has been a bumpy ride, I feel for 'em. They're simply not allowed to say much negative about the process.

On the Famitsu article:
An omnibus makes sense. P4 was essentially an omnibus though, so I'm not quite sure how this is much different. I do like to know an overall goal at the start of a story, though, so I hope they won't obscure that too much.

Not sure what they mean about the text messaging stuff. As Inorgio points out below me, it sounds like Catherine.

Squire

Banned
What would this mean? I think I'm missing something.

If you care, in western terms
an omnibus most commonly refers to a collection of an entire volume of comics. Green Lantern as written by Geoff Johns from 2005 to 2011 was collected into two omnibi. It just means we're in for a very very long story.

Those Fanitsu details all sound great. Sounds like
the cell phone stuff will work like Catherine
?

Y'know, I've got nothing but goodwill for the Persona team but I always take statements like that with a grain of salt. They could be telling the truth, and I'm sure they are adding more content... but missed deadlines is almost always the result of things taking longer to do than expected, unexpected issues, and bungled timelines. I dunno, it's easy to say "it's delayed because we're making it even better!" but that's always definitely a bit of sugar coating.

I'm not saying the game's going to come out bad or anything like that, no, I want them to take their time and make sure the game is as polished as possible. But I also just don't take statements like that at face value. I'm sure making this game has been a bumpy ride, I feel for 'em. They're simply not allowed to say much negative about the process.

I think there's a pretty distinct difference between "it's delayed because we're making it better" and "it's delayed because there's a lot of stuff in it and it needs to be polished".

The first assumes they decided to add a bunch of stuff halfway through (which would be fine, of course), but the latter is what we're actually being told, no?

YzdqrI7.jpg

Slightly appropriate example of an omnibus.

It's just a collection of his stories.

kiyoaki

If you care, in western terms
an omnibus most commonly refers to a collection of an entire volume of comics. Green Lantern as written by Geoff Johns from 2005 to 2011 was collected into two omnibi. It just means we're in for a very very long story.
Yes, I also know the term from Western genre literature (e.g. several fantasy novels republished in one volume). In Japan, it really applies to all kinds of compilations, notably music and TV series box sets.
I think a structure with more self-contained dramatic arcs would go well with P5's picaresque romance theme (as opposed to P4's whodunit theme).
Those Fanitsu details all sound great. Sounds like
the cell phone stuff will work like Catherine
?
I think so too, and we've already seen the short message function in PV03.

Lunar15

I think there's a pretty distinct difference between "it's delayed because we're making it better" and "it's delayed because there's a lot of stuff in it and it needs to be polished".

The first assumes they decided to add a bunch of stuff halfway through (which would be fine, of course), but the latter is what we're actually being told, no?

Essentially, but what I mean is that there's a whole lot of "this shit is hard" being hidden underneath a statement that's mean to assuage fans. I always feel bad for directors when they have to say it. It's not completely a lie, but it's certainly not the whole truth.

Squire

Banned
Yes, I also know the term from Western genre literature (e.g. several fantasy novels republished in one volume). In Japan, it really applies to all kinds of compilations, notably music and TV series box sets.
I think a structure with more self-contained dramatic arcs would go well with P5's picaresque romance theme (as opposed to P4's whodunit theme).

I think so too, and we've already seen the short message function in PV03.

Agreed. I always felt like P4 felt loosely like two seasons or so of a TV show, so it's great to see them adopt that kind of narrative structure almost outright.

I wonder if there are S. Links in addition to the SNS stuff...

Essentially, but what I mean is that there's a whole lot of "this shit is hard" being hidden underneath a statement that's mean to assuage fans. I always feel bad for directors when they have to say it. It's not completely a lie, but it's certainly not the whole truth.

Oh sure. I mean, look at how people react when even a just a sliver of the truth shines through though.

Col. Jessup had a point.

I think they're having trouble with the PS4 version. I don't really know.
Its probably a combination of many things, it's running on two systems that are relatively new to them. They're doing a lot of legwork with having to generate the new demon assets and it's also supposed to be the biggest game they've made. I also bet bringing DAN internally was a minor drain on resources for a while.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Does that count as a scan?

Its probably a combination of many things, it's running on two systems that are relatively new to them. They're doing a lot of legwork with having to generate the new demon assets and it's also supposed to be the biggest game they've made. I also bet bringing DAN internally was a minor drain on resources for a while.

True dat,

As long as they keep updating us about the game. Perhaps they can get it out ahead of time?

Squire

Banned
I think they're having trouble with the PS4 version. I don't really know.

I think they're making a very long game only in HD, on two platforms, and hopefully at the same level of quality they've come to be known for at this point. They have a lot of work to do for a studio their size.

They haven't even said anything worth doubting, honestly. That it need to be polished and has a lot of stuff in it - this is all very "news at 11", I think.

But the delay disappointed people and clods judgement and that's understandable.

Lunar15

Now that's what I'm talking about. Definitely been waiting for group artwork.

On the delay: I don't doubt them, but I definitely know that they're sugar coating it. I'm not mad at them, I feel for them. They can't really openly discuss the issues they've gone through.

Squire

Banned
Now that's what I'm talking about. Definitely been waiting for group artwork.

On the delay: I don't doubt them, but I definitely know that they're sugar coating it. I'm not mad at them, I feel for them. They can't really openly discuss the issues they've gone through.

That's what I'm saying, yeah.

Lunar15

Those scans are straight bonkers town.

Y'know, I like the persona designs, but they're a bit too humanlike for my tastes. I preferred the more mechanical and abstract designs of the past. That said, Anne's persona is hilariously ridiculous.

kiyoaki

I Iove the new screenshots and persona art. Only the pirate seems a bit... overdone? Dengeki has (mostly the same) screens and art too, but with less accompanying text. I'll comb both for story and system details later.

All-out attacks are back. That's news, right?

Top Bottom