• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

arue

Sophia

Arena Manga got you covered.

Technically she wears a trench coat in Arena, but the effect is the same and it's equally as awesome. :D

Follow-up to Poll #009 that most got wrong (will anything P5 happen on May 5, 2015?):

Poll #010: Will Persona 5 get ANY new media before the SCEJ 2015 conference? (early September)

Media means any new official screenshot, trailer, ad/promo or music release. This counts for anything new, so PV02 publicly released would count.

The opposite of the majority vote is what's going to actually happen.

I voted yes, because your literal definition of "any" puts the odd in your favor. >_>;

FluxWaveZ

I voted yes, because your literal definition of "any" puts the odd in your favor. >_>;

I voted "no."

ZsGmtXz.jpg

Sophia

Well if you're right with a no vote given your definition, I can only conclude that you should be playing Poker in Las Vegas instead of hanging around NeoGAF.
That, or you have inside info.

Voted no as well. Considering what Atlus has shown us, and the fact they don't even have a Japanese release date pinned down, I seriously doubt that they can turn on the marketing jets and release the game in December in Japan.

The fact of the matter is, the release date in NA is going to be 2016. No matter how many times atlusprime tells you it's 2015, he's lying. He probably doesn't know. If the Japanese don't even have a release date, then its going to be delayed.

DNAbro

Voted no as well. Considering what Atlus has shown us, and the fact they don't even have a Japanese release date pinned down, I seriously doubt that they can turn on the marketing jets and release the game in December in Japan.

The fact of the matter is, the release date in NA is going to be 2016. No matter how many times atlusprime tells you it's 2015, he's lying. He probably doesn't know. If the Japanese don't even have a release date, then its going to be delayed.

the only way I can see it coming out in NA 2015 is same day worldwide release.

the only way I can see it coming out in NA 2015 is same day worldwide release.

I voted yes because Atlus is smarter than sticking to a 2015 release this late in the year if they knew it wasn't feasible.

Also, in regards to a same-day release, I agree.

They know what the story(ies) of Persona mean to fans, and are always very careful with spoilers. (Asking fans not to spread them, etc.)

They know the majority of Persona sales come from outside Japan now, so they're stepping up to the plate for it.

I voted yes because Atlus is smarter than sticking to a 2015 release this late in the year if they knew it wasn't feasible.

Also, in regards to a same-day release, I agree.

They know what the story(ies) of Persona mean to fans, and are always very careful with spoilers. (Asking fans not to spread them, etc.)

They know the majority of Persona sales come from outside Japan now, so they're stepping up to the plate for it.

You underestimate the corporate isolationism and general mind games JPN office likes to play on USA office.

Nimby

Banned
Follow-up to Poll #009 that most got wrong (will anything P5 happen on May 5, 2015?):

Poll #010: Will Persona 5 get ANY new media before the SCEJ 2015 conference? (early September)

Media means any new official screenshot, trailer, ad/promo or music release. This counts for anything new, so PV02 publicly released would count.

The opposite of the majority vote is what's going to actually happen.

PV02 should get released before TGS.

Keyword: should

Anyway, voted yes.

Voted yes juts because :^)

I think everyone who thinks that P5 is going to come out in 2016 is pretty pessimistic (for good reason I guess).

I mean, if Atlus says that it's going to be 2015 over and over again it's probably going to be 2015, no reason to look into it so much.

There's probably something wierd going on with their advertising campaign and I would love to read some articles about the production of the game but at the moment there's no real evidence to suggest that Atlus has been lying to us all this time. It's 100% a deliberate choice of Atlus to not show that much advertising, I mean, how long has this game been in development? They'd probably be able to show something if they wanted to but they just don't, which is a strange decision that could probably come back to harm them later on.

In the end, if it's going to be 2016 it's still going to come out in Januari or something so I don't really care either way, it's definitely not enough of a big deal to call out people for liars or something.

You underestimate the corporate isolationism and general mind games JPN office likes to play on USA office.

Dang, tell me more, apparently you are some industry insider who knows everything about Atlus.

VegiHam

oops. I hope Europeans made peace with the fact that they aren't getting it 2015.

Nope. I'm refusing to accept it as fact till we have a non 2015 release date. Then I'll have a brief hour or so of bitter and disappointed GAF posting of the 'fucking hell Atlas everyone else has their shit together except you, get with the times' variety. Then I'll say 'ah well, at least Xenoblade is this December so I have something exxcellent to play' and start avoiding spoilers like the plague.

Setsu00

oops. I hope Europeans made peace with the fact that they aren't getting it 2015.

I have no self control and I will spoil myself on the game if it doesn't come out over here in 2015.

The world is a cruel place.

Edit: Voted "no" on the poll.

cj_iwakura

Voted no, unless a leak occurs. Their treatment of Persona 5 has been the worst. Catherine was infinitely better handled.

Yeah, the hype is through the roof, but Catherine didn't drip-feed us like this.

kiyoaki

Voted "yes." The marketing blitz will begin any day now, starting with the announcement of a December 1 release date for the Japanese version. Source: wishful thinking.

Are there any actual Atlus insiders on GAF? Other than atlusprime, I mean.

cj_iwakura

Voted "yes." The marketing blitz will begin any day now, starting with the announcement of a December 1 release date for the Japanese version. Source: wishful thinking.

Are there any actual Atlus insiders on GAF? Other than atlusprime, I mean.

One guy who used to work there, and I know another ex-staff member on another board, but I doubt they know much apart from how silly Atlus JP can be. Even if they did, I'm sure they're not telling.

artsi

Voted no, unless a leak occurs. Their treatment of Persona 5 has been the worst. Catherine was infinitely better handled.

Yeah, the hype is through the roof, but Catherine didn't drip-feed us like this.

I think it's still messed up because of P4:DAN (that was delayed to this summer slot where P5 was supposed to be), they released it but they still have DLC to promote and stuff. Catherine didn't have other games competing for attention.

But they should be done with DAN soon so that's why I think we're getting more P5 this month.

cj_iwakura

I like this image. Will probably import P5, unless EU release is like a week after US release, which I don't see happening.
Voted no, because I really don't think we get anything P5 related this month. But who knows?

Europe got Elminage Physical.

Hell, if someone gets me that LE, I'll buy them a copy of Persona 5.

FluxWaveZ

December 1 is a Tuesday, but Japanese games come out on Thursdays.

I think it's still messed up because of P4:DAN (that was delayed to this summer slot where P5 was supposed to be), they released it but they still have DLC to promote and stuff. Catherine didn't have other games competing for attention.

But they should be done with DAN soon so that's why I think we're getting more P5 this month.

I think you're overestimating how much importance P4D takes over P5 now. The game is out already; people who are invested in it won't stop getting DLC because suddenly P5 media is coming out. When P4D was released, all the Internet was talking about on that day was PV02 for P5 because of how it came with first-print copies. Other than the potential hit on development involving the Dingo situation, I really don't think P4D has had much of an impact at all on how they chose to publicize P5.

Also, in Catherine's case, it was a new IP that came out of nowhere and that no one was expecting. You can't drip feed info for a game like that over a period of two years without the hype for it significantly dropping off, while that is definitely not the case for something like Persona 5.

Edit: P4D stuff is going to be happening pretty much until the end of this month. If that stuff had to be over for P5 media to show up, it'd have to wait until the last week of August and, at that point, they could just wait until the SCEJ conference.

artsi

I think you're overestimating how much importance P4D takes over P5 now. The game is out already; people who are invested in it won't stop getting DLC because suddenly P5 media is coming out. When P4D was released, all the Internet was talking about on that day was PV02 for P5 because of how it came with first-print copies. Other than the potential hit on development involving the Dingo situation, I really don't think P4D has had much of an impact at all on how they chose to publicize P5.

Nah I don't think it's important anymore, but I think they gave July for P4D and now we can start expecting some P5 news.

The development problems of P4D have always been my theory for messing up plans for summer promotion of Persona 5, but only Atlus knows the truth really.

Like others, I'm fully expecting an info blowout sometime this month. It will start with new CMs hinting at a release date announcement at TGS. At TGS, there will be a new trailer showing all playable characters and the planned worldwide release dates. After that, just the cryptic TV CM's in America and Japan until release - just now with the added release date.

I've got no basis for these guesses other than the fact I'm in marketing. It just makes sense to me though.

This way, they market it ahead of release but keep spoilers to a minimum. IMO

SmoughLaughs

Neo Member
It just makes sense.... keep spoilers to a minimum. IMO

Totally agree. I hope they spend more time stirring our feelings and making stuff to get us excited. But I don't want too much info on the story. I think they'll do just that. I mean, how many trailers did we get for P4DAN? They were a lot right?

Does the community think Atlus has had a good marketing strategy over the years?

thatjesushair

Neo Member
This way, they market it ahead of release but keep spoilers to a minimum. IMO

I was actually thinking the same thing this morning when coming to work (
and continually thinking about when I'LL HEAR MORE
)

The first PV from months ago actually showed a lot more than most first trailers. So I agree they're working on keeping spoilers to a minimum and it'll definitely still come out this year.

FluxWaveZ

The first PV from months ago actually showed a lot more than most first trailers. So I agree they're working on keeping spoilers to a minimum and it'll definitely still come out this year.

But that PV came 15 months after the game was first officially announced and after there were already two teasers for it.

I don't care about seeing more of the game; I've always liked the idea of them essentially showing nothing until the game's out. But I would be fine with that if we actually had a release date.

Sophia

I, personally, want to see more of Persona 5. Minor spoilers don't bother me one bit, and I'd much rather have all the juicy info about the gameplay to get me hyped instead of sitting in darkness until release day.

I, personally, want to see more of Persona 5. Minor spoilers don't bother me one bit, and I'd much rather have all the juicy info about the gameplay to get me hyped instead of sitting in darkness until release day.

Personally I rather have next-to-nothing than have even a bit too much.

What we have now is good. Revealing the last of the playable characters and a release date in one more trailer is all I can ask for and all I want at this point.

The game becomes so much more personal if you go into it without knowing too much, in my opinion. It becomes less of a game that is advertised, reviewed, then played; and more of an experience to be had.

That's how I experienced Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden, Persona 4 Arena, Persona 4 Ultimax, and Persona Q; and I plan on doing the exact same with Persona 5. (If at all possible)

Sophia

Personally I rather have next-to-nothing than have even a bit.

What we have now is good. Revealing the last of the playable characters and a release date is all I can ask for and all I want at this point.

The game becomes so much more personal if you go into it without knowing too much, in my opinion - it's how I experienced Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden, Persona 4 Arena, Persona 4 Ultimax, and Persona Q.

I plan on doing the exact same with Persona 5. (If at all possible)

Indeed, that is your opinion. Which is why when Atlus shows stuff, you can simply chose to not watch trailers if you wish to go in relatively blind.

On the other hand, I'd much rather know more about the game. I'm not a child that gets excitement out of merely holding the latest installment anymore. The mystery of trying out something new is pretty much gone for me, and if anything can end up frustrating me if I go into a game expecting that and it doesn't deliver. I get hooked on details, information. I want to know how it plays, the scope of the game, the specific mechanics. How it'll compare mechanically to previous MegaTen games. I don't need endgame spoilers or surprises laid out, but I do like to have an idea of what I'm putting my money and time into.

Persona 5, of course, has a special position given our history with the franchise, but for many other games this kind of marketing is how I end up buying them at a fraction of their original price in a steam sale or bargain bin a year or two later. :p

I'd like some more gameplay details before release as well. Just a couple of one minute videos (like the one they put out to explain battles in PQ) so we know what's been changed in P5. More than anything though, I just want a release date already.

Moonlight

Banned
I want to see as much of P5 as I possibly can. All the trailers, all the articles, everything.

...at the same time, a lot of the reason I think I enjoyed P3 and P4 (welll, P4 less so, I was spoiled on a lot of handful of plot details) is that I really had no idea what to expect. For my sake, I hope they hold off on as much details as possible since I know I won't be able to help myself.

EDIT: Also, voted 'no' on the poll. I don't think we'll see anything till TGS.

Atlus have been pretty good at avoiding spoilers in there recent marketing for Q, Ultimax and DAN anyway. I'm not too worried about them over spoiling stuff in trailers. I just want to see more of the game.

DNAbro

The main things I want to see are first a release date(duh), how the new "cooperation" mechanic works, and maybe how the set up for the dungeons work.

EDIT: I also need a full song with vocals real bad.

kiyoaki

December 1 is a Tuesday, but Japanese games come out on Thursdays.
Please stop destroying my baseless fantasies with your esoteric knowledge.

I was so bored today I googled around and found out there's actually a site called http://ペルソナ5発売日.com/ ("persona5releasedate.com" in Japanese). Of course it doesn't have the release date either.

EDIT: I also need a full song with vocals real bad.
That would be nice.

Nimby

Banned

All I need is a release date. Promo art would be cool too.

FluxWaveZ

Please stop destroying my baseless fantasies with your esoteric knowledge.

I was so bored today I googled around and found out there's actually a site called http://ペルソナ5発売日.com/ ("persona5releasedate.com" in Japanese). Of course it doesn't have the release date either.

Hey, just saying you could instead fantasize about a December 1 NA release date and a December 3 release for Japan.

And, heh, that's pretty funny because I used to have a website called "ispersona5announced.com" predating that one. Had an animated Philemon butterfly .gif with the word "NO" in large font in the background.

Edit: The Wayback Machine preserved it a bit, but the animated .gif isn't there and the rotating Persona 5 development quotes isn't functioning. The version of it when P5 was announced is still up, though.

Indeed, that is your opinion. Which is why when Atlus shows stuff, you can simply chose to not watch trailers if you wish to go in relatively blind.

On the other hand, I'd much rather know more about the game. I'm not a child that gets excitement out of merely holding the latest installment anymore. The mystery of trying out something new is pretty much gone for me, and if anything can end up frustrating me if I go into a game expecting that and it doesn't deliver. I get hooked on details, information. I want to know how it plays, the scope of the game, the specific mechanics. How it'll compare mechanically to previous MegaTen games. I don't need endgame spoilers or surprises laid out, but I do like to have an idea of what I'm putting my money and time into.

Persona 5, of course, has a special position given our history with the franchise, but for many other games this kind of marketing is how I end up buying them at a fraction of their original price in a steam sale or bargain bin a year or two later. :p

I'm the same way, i can't go in completely blind or not know anything about the game. The one exception was Persona 3, it was after seeing the entirety of Labrys' story in Arena during a friend's late night stream that i immediately asked where to start in the series, and literally bought them the next morning

Top Bottom