• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Jachaos

Thanks for that.

Well, I'm also trying to get the plat. I made a couple different saves just in case so I went back and watched all the endings except the ones with Marie because I was only able to get her to 5 or 6 S.Link.

For the plat you'll want to look at this.

Have you gotten the Hardcore Risette Fan trophy?

About the fox mask and never give in dude , i think is not the same character , even that never give in dude not seems like a party member at all to me (but of course Teddie not look like a party member in the intro either).

And i almost sure fox mask is a
lady
... just for the
"we need more waifus"
factor

Agreed on both points - I wouldn't mind a taller female to balance out the teenaged Anne and childlike Morgana.

I wonder if we really will be getting 6 characters total.

Makio

Agreed on both points - I wouldn't mind a taller female to balance out the teenaged Anne and childlike Morgana..

Plot twist ... what if the Fox mask is

tumblr_njffb2rhJl1rwxvn2o1_500.png

Just kidding .... maybe
-------
And about the number of characters, i dont mind we have 6-7 party members this time , i mean in the other games we have like 7-8 per game and i dont always use all of them.

Mostly when i find my perfect party (which basically i beat all the game with).

Even im just fine with the ones showed so far (MC, Anne , Ryuji,Morgana , Fox Mask , Never give in dude) i dont mind if is not more playable characters beside thoses

For the plat you'll want to look at this.

Have you gotten the Hardcore Risette Fan trophy?

I wince everytime I read these three words

Even im just fine with the ones showed so far (MC, Anne , Ryuji,Morgana , Fox Mask , Never give in dude) i dont mind if is not more playable characters beside thoses

I don't have a link, but I remember reading an interview where someone said there's more characters than those who have been shown in trailers so far.

Hatchtag

Banned
I'm playing though Persona 3 Portable, and it's awesome so far. But it's my first time playing Persona 3, and having remembered P4G's bullshit multiple endings, is there anything like that in P4? Like any "answer this wrong and your whole game is fucked?"

Sophia

I'm playing though Persona 3 Portable, and it's awesome so far. But it's my first time playing Persona 3, and having remembered P4G's bullshit multiple endings, is there anything like that in P4? Like any "answer this wrong and your whole game is fucked?"

There's two endings, but the "bad ending" is more of a non-standard game over. You pretty much can't get it by accident anyhow.

There's nothing like that in P3P other than a very obvious bad end scenario that presents itself towards the end of the game.

Just remember, never give in; never give up. That's all you need to know.

(PS: It's nice to see other people getting into Persona with P3P - it was my first game too, and I don't see why so many people dislike (or sometimes outright hate) it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!)

(PS: It's nice to see other people getting into Persona with P3P - it was my first game too, and I don't see why so many people dislike (or sometimes outright hate) it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!)

I'd have nothing against it if it were not for the 2D backdrops and visual novel style. I find it extremely hard to recommend P3P as a first time story experience because of this unless you don't have access to FES, and it's a damn shame because of it.

And for the millionth time (I wonder if anyone is keeping track at how many times i've said this), this wouldn't be a problem if there were a definitive version includng all aspects of FES and P3P

VegiHam

I'd have nothing against it if it were not for the 2D backdrops and visual novel style. I find it extremely hard to recommend P3P as a first time story experience because of this unless you don't have access to FES, and it's a damn shame because of it.

And for the millionth time (I wonder if anyone is keeping track at how many times i've said this), this wouldn't be a problem if there were a definitive version includng all aspects of FES and P3P

Confession time: I've been avoiding footage of FES ever since I played P3P so that if an ultimate version ever happens it will be new to me. Watched The Answer, but I have no idea how Port Island looks in motion.

I disagree on the first point and agree on the second point.

I didn't mind the visual novel 'cursor' style of movement in P3P at all. It made navigating the world easier and faster, and it fit the handheld form-factor better. I doubt that port island would look that great in 3D on PSP anyway. Even knowing that though - I'm all for a "Persona 3 Platinum" rerelease for Vita/PS3/PS4 as a remix of P3P + The Answer remastered in HD. (Definitive Version of P3)

It's unlikely that they are planning to remake P3 a third time though. (I still wish they'd make a FeMC for all games going forward... But alas.)

Sophia

I'll avoid spoilers, but I'll just say this: One late-game scene in Persona 3 Portable got absolutely butchered in the transition to the new format. The P3P version is lacking the music and sense of urgency the scene had. That alone makes playing FES worth it.

I disagree on the first point and agree on the second point.

I didn't mind the visual novel style of movement in P3P at all. It made navigating the world easier and faster, and it fit the handheld form-factor better. Even knowing that though - I'm all for a "Persona 3 Platinum" for Vita/PS3/PS4 that would boil down to P3P + The Answer remastered in HD. (Definitive Version of P3)

It's unlikely that they are planning to remake P3 a third time though. (I still wish they'd make a FeMC for all games going forward... But alas.)

Some story events just do not have the same impact when everything is in 2D against a still backdrop, no character animations in the background, and only a max of 2 characters on-screen at once.

The game was simply not made for a visual novel approach, even though Atlus did their best to re-create events without needing any animations. I'm also nearing the end of the game in P3P, so i'll be able to see how that stacks up to FES. (MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS)
FES's ending was an emotional trainwreck (in a good way) for me, and so far i cannot see it having the same impact on me. Even after beating FES, re-watching the final scenes with Nyx still brings out some strong emotions

Sophia

Actually, now that I went and watched it again, pretty much entire chunks of the ending have been butchered. Music tracks are missing from scenes for no reason. Scenes have been altered in the order they happen. The original direction and intent of scenes have been changed even when there's no reason for it One particular scene has been converted to a static 2D image of the cast. Another scene, originally with no dialogue at all, has had several sections of dialogue added over to it that are unneeded descriptors of what is going on.

It's no way to experience Persona 3 the first time, and I urge anyone who's played Persona 3 Portable to go watch the FES version of the ending on YouTube at least.

Persona 3 Platinum:

FES quality graphics
Female route option
P3P gameplay improvements (optional?)
P4G-style fusion search and manual select skills for inheritance

The perfect game

CorvoSol

Persona 3 Platinum:

FES quality graphics
Female route option
P3P gameplay improvements (optional?)
P4G-style fusion search and manual select skills for inheritance

The perfect game

I kinda wish Female Protagonist was also integrated into the plot if you picked male, the way Pokemon games do, but that's just me.

I kinda wish Female Protagonist was also integrated into the plot if you picked male, the way Pokemon games do, but that's just me.

I really think P3MC and FeMC should both be able to exist in the same timeline. Brother and sister, i'd love to see it happen

Musolf815

I'm getting antsy for new Persona 5 information...while I'm happy they're not spoiling stuff, I also would like some more ANYTHING about the game.

FluxWaveZ

Tuesday has let us down once again.

But there's always Friday

Fridays don't exist anymore.

The next issue of Dengeki PlayStation is Gamescom focused and releasing on a Wednesday (August 12). There won't be a Famitsu next week; the next issue is on August 20. I wouldn't expect anything from magazines until then, for anyone who would.

Puruzi

Banned
Just went on PSN to get Persona 3 on vita, but I saw that there's a version on PS3 that's better? I can't get the console version, but is P3P still worth getting?

Does FES have Memories of You as the end credits? I know that P3P has it but I thought FES plays it only at the end of the Anwser, not really sure.

Just went on PSN to get Persona 3 on vita, but i'm saw that there's a version on PS3 that's better? I can't get the console version, but is P3P still worth getting?

It's a mixed bag, long story short, P3P is definitely worth getting and is in most ways even superior to the console version, especially if you play as the female main character.

Puruzi

Banned
Does FES have Memories of You as the end credits? I know that P3P has it but I thought FES plays it only at the end of the Anwser, not really sure.

It's a mixed bag, long story short, P3P is definitely worth getting and is in most ways even superior to the console version, especially if you play as the female main character.

You can't control your allies on the PS3 version, definitely get the P3P version.
Alright, thanks for the responses

FluxWaveZ

A lot of people who played P3P first say they're okay with the visual novel presentation, but I bet most of the people who played P3 or FES first are not okay with that shift. Even Katsura Hashino wasn't too happy with the concessions they had to make for the PSP, which is why Persona 4 Golden shifted from PSP development to the Vitta so they could make it as close to the PS2 game as possible.

cj_iwakura

Actually, now that I went and watched it again, pretty much entire chunks of the ending have been butchered. Music tracks are missing from scenes for no reason. Scenes have been altered in the order they happen. The original direction and intent of scenes have been changed even when there's no reason for it One particular scene has been converted to a static 2D image of the cast. Another scene, originally with no dialogue at all, has had several sections of dialogue added over to it that are unneeded descriptors of what is going on.

It's no way to experience Persona 3 the first time, and I urge anyone who's played Persona 3 Portable to go watch the FES version of the ending on YouTube at least.

This is why it amazes me whenever someone recommends P3P.

I'll avoid spoilers, but I'll just say this: One late-game scene in Persona 3 Portable got absolutely butchered in the transition to the new format. The P3P version is lacking the music and sense of urgency the scene had. That alone makes playing FES worth it.

Can you both explain what part got "absolutely butchered" in P3P? I myself enjoyed it thoroughly, and though I tried FES afterwards (to see the differences and play the answer) I never got used to the lower-res everything and other gameplay issues. I've also yet to play the Answer, because I've heard it's a massive grindfest and the fact that it's in FES-style puts it off even more for me.

Which "entire chunks"? What music tracks are missing from what scenes? What scene order has changed? How does the intent of a scene possibly change? Which scene has been made a 2D image? Which scene had dialogue added?

I know that they replaced all the animated scenes with either gameplay cutscenes or still images + text/audio, but that was to save space and they did the best they could do. I don't mind it personally since the animation of Persona 3 is nothing to praise really. It looks bland and non-detailed, especially compared to the actual in-game character images.

I look forward to both of your responses.

Sophia

This is why it amazes me whenever someone recommends P3P.

We're going to get into the realm of spoilers here. People don't be clicking if you don't want to see Persona 3 ending spoilers.

But like.... I get that there will be some concessions when transferring from animated cutscenes and full 3D graphics to a visual novel format. But was it really needed to have a static animation of the party in the background? Why not completely redo that scene instead of a 2D image there? And then there's the missing music tracks. One of which (Nyx's theme) was successfully looped in Arena so why is it missing here? And it's inevitable that you're going to need SOME dialogue to explain what's going on, but did Mitsuru really need to inform us that Tartarus is falling apart? We can see it in the background, thank you. They also added music to this scene and a whole ton of dialogue, which really ruined the moment of the protagonist walking out of the rubble of Tartarus alive. It's one of the few animated cutscenes I liked in regular P3, just because of the whole finale feeling it gives. That this is the end, for reals. It's all over.

But yeah: Persona 3 Portable is a compromised product. It's still very fun, and some of the gameplay changes are very much welcomed. But people really shouldn't play it first unless they absolutely detest having no direct control over the party.

Can you both explain what part got "absolutely butchered" in P3P? I myself enjoyed it thoroughly, and though I tried FES afterwards (to see the differences and play the answer) I never got used to the lower-res everything and other gameplay issues. I've also yet to play the Answer, because I've heard it's a massive grindfest and the fact that it's in FES-style puts it off even more for me.

The specific scene in question is
Nyx's decent
. The music was removed from the scene and in it's place a ton of pointless dialogue was added in. Also, The Answer isn't that grindy once you get past the beginning so much as it is just brutally difficult. Some poor design choices make the beginning pretty grindy tho, as you try to get a bunch of Personas you really need to get past the first few areas

Which "entire chunks"? What music tracks are missing from what scenes? What scene order has changed? How does the intent of a scene possibly change? Which scene has been made a 2D image? Which scene had dialogue added?

I know that they replaced all the animated scenes with either gameplay cutscenes or still images + text/audio, but that was to save space and they did the best they could do. I don't mind it personally since the animation of Persona 3 is nothing to praise really. It looks bland and non-detailed, especially compared to the actual in-game character images.

I look forward to both of your responses.

The two missing tracks are
Nyx
as mentioned above, as well as Determination. The scene that was changed to a poor low resolution image was
the party sitting in the Sea of Consciousness after the battle with Nyx but before Tartarus collapses. All the animations the character models had are missing from Persona 3 Portable, seeing as it's just now one static image.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not completely opposed to the visual novel style changes. Lots of scenes made it intact in Persona 3 Portable, and the new navigation options (some of which are from Persona 4) are fantastic and very suited to a portable environment. But other scenes didn't make it through. The ending really loses part of it's punch when
instead of hearing the bells of the school ring as Tartarus falls apart and the protagonist walks out of the rubble, you get a ton of music and dialogue added over it, lots of just exposition to make up for the lack of any real 3D cutscenes or animation.

Actually, one scene that *DID* make it through intact very well was
the scene immediately following the battle with the Nyx Avatar. The only thing that was lost was the Avatar looking down at the party.
Unsurprisingly, it's one of the few scenes with actual 3D models. If the rest of the ending had been handled like that, I probably would have no complaints.

But people really shouldn't play it first unless they absolutely detest having no direct control over the party.

Sad as it is, I am one of those people.

The added animation sounds nice, and Nyx's theme would have been nice to have, but you're overthinking the rest of it. As someone who enjoyed the ending presented in P3P, I can say that the extra dialogue didn't take anything away from the experience for me.

I'm willing to give up a little bit of blurry non-detailed animation for 80+ hours of proper control of my teammates. I don't regret that.

Musolf815

All I want is a release date so I can tune out and not follow any more news. Gotta go in fresh

I think I'd honestly be fine with just a release date too. I just need to be reassured that this is still coming this year with something more specific and concrete than what they've given so far.

Just went on PSN to get Persona 3 on vita, but I saw that there's a version on PS3 that's better? I can't get the console version, but is P3P still worth getting?

It's still worth it if P3P is the only version you can get

Also, The Answer isn't that grindy once you get past the beginning so much as it is just brutally difficult. Some poor design choices make the beginning pretty grindy tho, as you try to get a bunch of Personas you really need to get past the first few areas

Yeah, once you get past the first boss, it seems to actually calm down in difficulty. It's still hard, but it's not "Welp i let the enemy get a turn i'm dead now" difficult like the immediate beginning

Sad as it is, I am one of those people.

The added animation sounds nice, and Nyx's theme would have been nice to have, but you're overthinking the rest of it. As someone who enjoyed the ending presented in P3P, I can say that the extra dialogue didn't take anything away from the experience for me.

I'm willing to give up a little bit of blurry non-detailed animation for 80+ hours of proper control of my teammates. I don't regret that.

I don't think it's overthinking at all. It's compensation for hardware limitations. And maybe it's just because i absolutely love the story, but the animated overworld and actual character models are are what keep me coming back to FES for subsequent playthroughs.

I actually started on P3P, and after seeing FES's visuals later that day, i decided to play that instead

FluxWaveZ

Two things that likely don't mean anything, but that I had taken note of a while back and something made me think about them again:

• The dates for the Persona Livehouse Tour 2015 concerts are: September 9, September 10 and September 24. The gap between the second and third concerts are during the week of TGS 2015, from September 17 to September 20.
  • For what seems to be the first time, Production I.G (the animation studio behind Persona 5) will actually have a booth at TGS in the General Exhibition Area.

Honestly, over the length of the game the AI party members are fine. There will be few occasions when Mitsuru decides to do something stupid, but for the most part you can get by without any problems.

Makio

That "Yukari" misses a lot joke ,but the time i played FES and the Answer something higher the level she got , less she miss but i think that is a coincidence.

And Mitsuru got a good rate hittingTentarafoo (at least the times i use her) , Marin Karin fails a lot.

But yeah tactics fix that ...

Two things that likely don't mean anything, but that I had taken note of a while back and something made me think about them again:

• The dates for the Persona Livehouse Tour 2015 concerts are: September 9, September 10 and September 24. The gap between the second and third concerts are during the week of TGS 2015, from September 17 to September 20.
  • For what seems to be the first time, Production I.G (the animation studio behind Persona 5) will actually have a booth at TGS in the General Exhibition Area.

Nice! Thanks for the summary.

Here's hoping we hear more towards the middle/end of August and have a release date set by the end of September.

Come on Atlus - I believe in you.

Is there any kind of pattern in the timing of the SCEJ pre-TGS conference? I remember last year it was around two weeks before the show, but I'm not sure if that was the standard or the exception.

FluxWaveZ

Is there any kind of pattern in the timing of the SCEJ pre-TGS conference? I remember last year it was around two weeks before the show, but I'm not sure if that was the standard or the exception.

Just that they've been happening earlier throughout recent years compared to when TGS takes place, and in relation to the SCEJ conferences themselves.

September 18, 2012 [SCEJ Conference]
September 20, 2012 [TGS]
2 days

September 9, 2013 [SCEJ Conference]
September 19, 2013 [TGS]
10 days

September 1, 2014 [SCEJ Conference]
September 18, 2014 [TGS]
17 days

FluxWaveZ

I look at the FFXV "Dawn" trailer and I can't help but think about how P5 PV02 showed off more in quick succession instead of the prolonged scene format of the former. More of FFXV in general has been shown off over the years, though.

Setsu00

I look at the FFXV "Dawn" trailer and I can't help but think about how P5 PV02 showed off more in quick succession instead of the prolonged scene format of the former. More of FFXV in general has been shown off over the years, though.

The FFXV trailer was a mess that tried to reproduce the same feeling as some of the older trailers but failed miserably at it. The mere fact that P5's PV02 had competent directing made it miles better than the XV trailer.

bakedpony

Hi Persona Gaf! I've been a Persona fan since vanilla P3 and can't wait for P5 like everyone else.

Finally, I have convinced my buddy who has never touched any of the Persona games to give P3 Fes a go. It's interesting to see the things that have changed since then up to P4G like the "One More" bonus requiring that all enemies get knocked down by the attack.

Here is my buddy's blind playthrough if anybody's interested!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JHb2Ezs_N4w

The terribleness of the Dawn trailer made me better appreciate PV02 frankly. What a trainwreck.

Top Bottom