• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

FluxWaveZ

Setting-wise, the Midnight Channel does show what people wish to see. And now that Atlus has stronger ties with Sega, perhaps the desires of our fans are being reflected on that Midnight Channel.
Ha, clever. I would have liked to see Wada's face as he said this.

I wonder if that The Verge interview took place in North America or in Japan... or both. It had to take place after July 23, so I'm thinking it was a TGS 2015 thing.

I tried to platinum inFamous, but the last things I had to do were so tedious that I gave up.

In P3P I just got to
Floor 59 in Tartarus
, still have no idea what the larger story is beyond just
Climbing up Tartarus and waiting for the next full moon boss.
I usually don't care much about story in games, but P4G raised my expectations. Does the story open up anytime soon?

I wondered the same for so long in that game, but don't give up! P3 isn't super well-paced, most of the story happens at the start and at the end and the middle just kinda goes. But the last act is really worth it.

The first time I played P3, I went through the centre part while I was sick and pretty out of it, which was great because I was in the sort of mood to just level and focus on minutiae and stats and try not to feel sick. The second time I played through the centre, I realized just what a ridiculous amount of dead space there is in the middle of the plot.

P3's pacing is atrocious. That game is in dire need of some fluff to make it seem less dead. P4's wasn't that much better, but it had more stuff going on between plot points.
and better written social links

Makio

Not bicthing since i already bought it .. but is there any reason P4DAN is $10 expensive than regular Vita games... or depends in the company the price.

I think i never see a $50 Vita Game before (at least a regular version one).

Not bicthing since i already bought it .. but is there any reason P4DAN is $10 expensive than regular Vita games... or depends in the company the price.

I think i never see a $50 Vita Game before (at least a regular version one).

It's the Atlus tax.

Though there were a few Vita games at $50, Uncharted Vita was that price at launch I believe.

PK Gaming

Lucky you :(

I've tried to get the last trophy I need (Hardcore Risette Fan) 3 or 4 times, full playthroughs as well, & I just cannot get it.

So infuriating not being able to platinum my favourite game. Alas.

Maybe I'll get it in ten years when I go back to see how P4 holds up to P6 :p

If you haven't gotten it after playing through the game that many times, you're doing something wrong. Are you rotating your party? Talking to Rise during dungeons w/ different costumes? That's the quickest and most efficient way of getting it.

If you haven't gotten it after playing through the game that many times, you're doing something wrong. Are you rotating your party? Talking to Rise during dungeons w/ different costumes? That's the quickest and most efficient way of getting it.

Talking to Rise outside battle doesn't count.

Yeah the only lines that count are the ones that have text pop up during battle and are voiced.
There's a lot of misinformation online about this trophy, a big one is saying not to overlevel to miss the 'enemy is tough' etc lines, but they don't count anyway because they appear when you scan and there's no text on screen. In reality you miss like 3 lines by overleveling which is easily made up elsewhere.

The trophy annoyed me but it's pretty simple really.

I just ran through the game with Yosuke/Chie/Yukiko until I unlocked Naoto, then went through Heaven with Kanji/Teddie/Naoto, then ran through some older dungeons with them.
Then did some cleanup, get all the party members to die, get lines for escaping from battle, lines for stat debuffs (dice in the lab cast Debillitate), then finally ailments. Trophy popped when I'd done poison/rage/silence/fear (fear is two lines per party member because they flee) with everyone (in addition to whatever else happened naturally earlier on).

Just make sure when you have a debuff or ailment you click in and out of scanning an enemy until the line actually pops up.

Gecoma

Every guide out there I've followed. Advice won't help me much now lol, I've no intention of trying again anytime soon.

I assume I achieved it at some point in those playthroughs but it didn't 'pop' at the time. So it registers as me having completed the requirements for the trophy but I didn't actually get it.

A couple of Vita game trophies have not 'popped' exactly like that for me in the past (Hotline Miami the other most annoying one) so that's why I think that. Just a theory.

I assume deleting the game data delete & reinstalling might help. Maybe I'll do that next time I try.

ErkieFresh

Neo Member
Is there a GAF consensus about what the best spinoff is? I'm talking amongst Q, Arena, Ultimax, and DAN. I ask because I've finished 3 and 4 and I sort of don't know where to go next.

Is there a GAF consensus about what the best spinoff is? I'm talking amongst Q, Arena, Ultimax, and DAN. I ask because I've finished 3 and 4 and I sort of don't know where to go next.

I don't know if there's a consensus, but PQ is great if you like labyrinth crawling.

Edit: Bear in mind that's the only one I can vouch for; I don't have the others.

ErkieFresh

Neo Member
I don't know if there's a consensus, but Q is great if you like labyrinth crawling.

Ok cuz the labyrinth crawling is sort of what put me off on Q. If it has a similar ratio to P4G of crawling to story, then I'm probably onboard. But gameplay videos I've watched have made me feel like it may not be for me.

FluxWaveZ

Not sure about best. Ultimax seems to be the whipping boy, but even that has its defenders.

People who actually play the game and not just go through its story mode generally like it, which is why that game has the highest Metacritic score out of all the spin-offs (MC referred to for consensus and not objective quality).

Ok cuz the labyrinth crawling is sort of what put me off on Q. If it has a similar ratio to P4G of crawling to story, then I'm probably onboard. But gameplay videos I've watched have made me feel like it may not be for me.

Oh, no, it's got a far lower ratio of story:dungeon crawling. Lots of little party interaction moments, but the main story gets a hefty amount in the beginning and then only sparse amounts until just before the final dungeon. It may not be for you, then.

FluxWaveZ

Interesting. Thanks for all the feedback guys. In terms of plot then, what separates Ultimax from Arena? Is one better than the other?

I'm not sure I would really want to get into any of the spin-offs if you're primarily seeking their story component rather than the gameplay, although their stories are lengthy, anyways.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is a direct sequel to Persona 4 Arena. The latter's story is included in the former as paid DLC.

Yeah. Maybe this will be a good game to watch someone play through on youtube.

Persona Q sounds like the worst game to do that with, tbh. But I guess if one doesn't mind watching way more hours of dungeon crawling and mapping than there is story...

ErkieFresh

Neo Member
Oh, no, it's got a far lower ratio of story:dungeon crawling. Lots of little party interaction moments, but the main story gets a hefty amount in the beginning and then only sparse amounts until just before the final dungeon. It may not be for you, then.

Yeah. Maybe this will be a good game to watch someone play through on youtube.

ErkieFresh

Neo Member
I'm not sure I would really want to get into any of the spin-offs if you're primarily seeking their story component rather than the gameplay, although their stories are lengthy, anyways.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is a direct sequel to Persona 4 Arena. The latter's story is included in the former as paid DLC.

I see. Ok thank you. The gameplay of the fighting games and DAN at least appeals to me enough that I wouldn't be actively disliking the gameplay and just biding my time until a cut scene or a social link. I think maybe I'll start out with Arena and DAN.

FluxWaveZ

I see. Ok thank you. The gameplay of the fighting games and DAN at least appeals to me enough that I wouldn't be actively disliking the gameplay and just biding my time until a cut scene or a social link. I think maybe I'll start out with Arena and DAN.

Nah, you've got it wrong: I was referring to the quality of those stories. If you just want more of the Persona 4 cast, I guess they do that, though. P4A and P4AU's stories are pretty much 90% reading and 10% gameplay. P4D is probably 80% reading and 20% gameplay.

They're all pretty lengthy, too, so if you just want story and don't mind the quality of them—keeping in mind that they were formed around the gameplay and genre, and not the other way around—go for it.

There are no Social Links in any of these games.

I love Persona Q, but if you're worried it may have too much dungeon crawling, it's probably not something you will enjoy.

ErkieFresh

Neo Member
Nah, you've got it wrong: I was referring to the quality of those stories. If you just want more of the Persona 4 cast, I guess they do that, though. P4A and P4AU's stories are pretty much 90% reading and 10% gameplay. P4D is probably 80% reading and 20% gameplay.

They're all pretty lengthy, too, so if you just want story and don't mind the quality of them—keeping in mind that they were formed around the gameplay and genre, and not the other way around—go for it.

There are no Social Links in any of these games.

Ok great. Well despite all my confusion, you have kind of confirmed my hopes. I appreciate your vast Persona knowledge. Thanks for all the clarification.

Makio

It's the plot of Ultimax that gives it whipping boy status.

Really i personally liked Ultimax story over Arena , maybe because it feels like a only one story and not like 12 diferent ones (thanks for the concept). But still since i dont play it Q and still waiting for my Dancing All Night to come (no live in USA) i cant say which one is better

I kinda spoil myself with the first 5 minutes of the story of Dancing All Night and i love it , great way to start that story
dark as fuck
too bad the
power of bonds
are going to put this story in the same level of the others spinoffs... good in concept but weak execution

Really i personally liked Ultimax story over Arena , maybe because it feels like a only one story and not like 12 diferent ones (thanks for the concept). But still since i dont play it Q and still waiting for my Dancing All Night to come (no live in USA) i cant say which one is better

I kinda spoil myself with the first 5 minutes of the story of Dancing All Night and i love it , great way to start that story
dark as fuck
too bad the
power of bonds
are going to put this story in the same level of the others spinoffs... good in concept but weak execution

Ultimax's story mode had a better structure than Arena's, I'll give it that.

I'm guessing Q turned out so well cause being an RPG let it spread out its story moments?

PK Gaming

Hard to say

The fighting game enthusiast in me loves Ultimax. The story sucked, but I got plenty out of the super duper roster (Freaking Margaret is playable) and the various game modes were pretty great. At the end of the day, it's a fun day.

The rpg fanatic in me adores Persona Q. The story was decent and the character interactions were great. Getting access to 17 fairly unique characters and building your own party with them was a blast. The game does drag at times, but if you can power yourself through those slow moments, you'll do fine. At the end of the day, it's also a fun game.

I haven't played DAN yet, so....

Soulflarz

Banned
On chapter 2 of DAN

I'm confused. Why are some people defending this story. I feel like it insults my intelligence in the nonsense it pulls in a way thats SAO levels. The premise starts with Yu saying (I mean, I guess I'll tag this)
girls got kidnapped and are gone? No, don't report that to the police, it's not like they'd even listen to us...
Am...I supposed to take him seriously? Or Naoto questioning a midnight show as a possibility...again?

Oh and er
-The beatmaps don't always match the songs.
- The UI, and more specifically the scratch notes- aren't the easiest to read, in the badly designed sort of sense, not in the "we made this difficult for gameplay!" sense.

On chapter 2 of DAN

I'm confused. Why are some people defending this story. I feel like it insults my intelligence in the nonsense it pulls in a way thats SAO levels. The premise starts with Yu saying (I mean, I guess I'll tag this)
girls got kidnapped and are gone? No, don't report that to the police, it's not like they'd even listen to us...
Am...I supposed to take him seriously? Or Naoto questioning a midnight show as a possibility...again?

In all honesty,
they didn't last time.
Naoto tho... really?

DNAbro

Story impressions so far

BONDS
BONDS
BONDS
BONDS
BONDS
BONDS
BONDS
BONDS
BONDS
BONDS

Ochimizu is awesome though.

Soulflarz

Banned
In all honesty,
they didn't last time.
Naoto tho... really?

I mean sure, but they had more context.

Also wait, they were barely gone, that's early to file a police report. I guess thats my first issue. The second one being not necessarily that they didnt file one, but that they didn't because cops wouldnt listen

also via flandy, probably has been posted here before?
what http://www.bestbuy.com/site/persona...vita/9025026.p?id=1219698528101&skuId=9025026

"AGE 15: Common Sense Media Says: Slightly mature dance game promotes being true to yourself."

Makio

I not want to get into the story mode yet ... but after see the first chapter the dub is good as always.

Ashly Burch Rise is pretty good , i mean sure the change is kinda hard to get when you are fan of Bailey's , but im suprised her voice actually fits the character and dont sound way too diferent to the previous one.

Kanamin needs to work in her delivery but she got a good voice.

And even the Kanamin Kitchen girls got good actress ,if i got it right i think goes as :

Tomoe Sayama : Wendee Lee (i recognize her voice everywhere)
Tamami Uesegi: Sounds like Metis , Stephanie Sheh was her name i think
Sumomo Ujima : I gonna say Cassandra Lee Morris but i dont sure.

And i dont know who voice Nozomi , but damn that voice is so sexy, sounds familiar but i dont got any idea who it is.

also via flandy, probably has been posted here before?
what http://www.bestbuy.com/site/persona...vita/9025026.p?id=1219698528101&skuId=9025026

"AGE 15: Common Sense Media Says: Slightly mature dance game promotes being true to yourself."

The full review expounds on that:
  • Families can talk about what it means to be true to oneself. What are the differences between who a person is and how he or she might appear to others?
  • What are some positive, constructive ways to express one's feelings?

Positive messages: Helping others, learning how to express your feelings in a positive, creative way.

Positive role models: Protagonists a group of friends who selflessly work to save those in need, show them how to be true to their inner selves.

Makio

Not sure if she ever confirmed it herself, but that's who everyone says voiced her.

When get sounds "excited" or rise her voice sounds exactly like Metis battles quotes ... to me is her.

Oh i forgot about Ochimizu another "familiar" voice too ... but i think she not from a previous Persona game , someone says Cindy Robinson but Robinson have so many "voices" (range) im not sure to deny that.

PD : Patrick Seitz as Tanaka is frickin amazing , sounds so unfitting hahaha

Soooo... is that good or bad?

Patrick Seitz is amazing , maybe my actual favorite male VA out there but damn for a character as Tanaka his deep voice dont go well at all ,plus if you compare to the japanese one.
Still is great see him getting roles in Atlus , more chances to hear him in Persona 5 .

Same with the other voices of this game : Burch , Rena Strober , Lee Morris , and Nozomi VA i wouldnt be surprised if they land a role in 5.

Makio

Yeah like seriously , you can put Dojima's VA or the guy who voices Rise's Manager and i think they fit better.

Sometimes i wonder how would be Seitz as The Phantom , i mean he can kill it as
Arsene as show in the pv02
but he not suited to voice a 16 year old in my opinion.

Really wonder who is going to voice the MC in persona 5 , i mean with the other characters i have options / wishful choices here and there but for the Phantom no one came to mind.

My first impressions with P4 DAN aren't the greatest. Beatmap notes seem inconsistent throughout the songs, and scratch notes are really messing me up

Soulflarz

Banned
My first impressions with P4 DAN aren't the greatest. Beatmap notes seem inconsistent throughout the songs, and scratch notes are really messing me up

Scratch notes are comparable to basically what is normally a background visual effect. It doesnt help that real notes have a circle too. But yeah, they're easy to miss.

(Miku for life)

daevious

Yeah like seriously , you can put Dojima's VA or the guy who voices Rise's Manager and i think they fit better.

Sometimes i wonder how would be Seitz as The Phantom , i mean he can kill it as
Arsene as show in the pv02
but he not suited to voice a 16 year old in my opinion.

Really wonder who is going to voice the MC in persona 5 , i mean with the other characters i have options / wishful choices here and there but for the Phantom no one came to mind.

If we're going full wishful thinking mode, I'd want Brad Swaile to voice the MC.

Moonlight

Banned
If we're going full wishful thinking mode, I'd want Brad Swaile to voice the MC.
This is my dream as far as far as dub actors go. There's really no one else, IMO, within the vocal age range of the role who can match Swaille for his range in going from 'meek and grounded' to 'absolutely theatrically nuts'.

Absolute worst case scenario is JYB doing Lelouch.

Top Bottom