• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

yuuki

For everyone who is interested, I created persona 5 centered ps4 community. You can join if you want. My psn name is Yuuki_wr.

JCX

Persona 3's story is pretty back loaded, for better or worse. The second act is pretty weak from a main story standpoint (P4 has this problem too, but less noticeable because of a better structure.)

Once you start hitting
the last few full moons
and the game's third act, it picks up like crazy.

Related to this, I'm actually very curious to see how Persona 5 shakes up the three-act structure that Persona 3 and Persona 4 had. The second act of both games is pretty weak, and made up for by a fantastic resolution/third act.

I wondered the same for so long in that game, but don't give up! P3 isn't super well-paced, most of the story happens at the start and at the end and the middle just kinda goes. But the last act is really worth it.

Good to know. I'd be fine with it if the dungeon ever changed. Part of the fun of P4G was
seeing what each character's dungeon and evil persona would look like. Void Quest especially hit it out the park with the retro RPG references, 8 bit remix of i'l Face Myself, and the toughest story boss in the whole game. Tartarus is the one of the most generic dungeons I've seen in a long time, and its bosses are not very interesting.

So mad at myself, just missed one of the date specific velvet room quests. Hope I didn't miss out on anything big by doing that.

Good to know. I'd be fine with it if the dungeon ever changed. Part of the fun of P4G was
seeing what each character's dungeon and evil persona would look like. Void Quest especially hit it out the park with the retro RPG references, 8 bit remix of i'l Face Myself, and the toughest story boss in the whole game.

So mad at myself, just missed one of the date specific velvet room quests. Hope I didn't miss out on anything big by doing that.

It depends on what that quest was.
If it was an Elizabeth date, you'll probably get locked out of some high-level personas down the road.

Not having access to
Nata Taishi
was the worst gameplay part of my FES playthrough.

Sophia

Missing the velvet room quests with dates means you are now permanently locked out of the Tower of Demise optional dungeon that appears at the end of the game AND you'll no longer be able to challenge the optional bosses on that save ever again no matter what you do even on new game plus mode!
I'm kidding of course! >_>;

(Which quest was it? Most of them offer nice rewards, but nothing you can permanently miss.)

It depends on what that quest was.
If it was an Elizabeth date, you'll probably get locked out of some high-level personas down the road.

Yeah if it was one of the
Elizabeth "I'd like to go to <x>!" quests
you missed out on something good tho. :<

Dugna

To those who already have DAN, does it continue on from the story of P4A and P4AU, or directly from P4G?

Technically it continues after the epilogue but

You can play P4DAN and never play Ultimax or Arena and be fine, it brings up stuff they found out in Arena or Ultimax but its nothing like "Ohh I remember what Labrys-chan said..." more like they notice things in the world around them finally.

Technically it continues after the epilogue but

You can play P4DAN and never play Ultimax or Arena and be fine, it brings up stuff they found out in Arena or Ultimax but its nothing like "Ohh I remember what Labrys-chan said..." more like they notice things in the world around them finally.

Thanks! I haven't played P3 yet and since characters from that game appear in the Arena games I want to wait with those until I played P3.

My first impressions with P4 DAN aren't the greatest. Beatmap notes seem inconsistent throughout the songs, and scratch notes are really messing me up

If anything, you need to remember that the scratch notes are always "on beat" whenever you play a song, since they're in time with the song itself. But really, the beatmap notes are actually consistent with their respective songs.

You can try playing with the note speed and/or the modifier books from Tanaka's shop to see if that'll help, not to mention playing with headphones/earbuds are the best way to hear the beat. Heaven especially may seem random, but it's actually in time with the off-beats of the song, due to it being a jazz song, so definitely use headphones/earbuds when playing it.

muteki

My first impressions with P4 DAN aren't the greatest. Beatmap notes seem inconsistent throughout the songs, and scratch notes are really messing me up

Are you playing on a Vita TV? If so the lag in your equipment could be the culprit.

In general though on low levels some songs have less than stellar note charts but things improve at Hard, and All Night difficulties. Speeding up the notes helps me a lot though, I keep it at 7.

ive played a lot of project diva and I definitely like P4DAN more. Its so nice to have static hit boxes, and scratch notes here are much better than the sectional ones in diva f.

Still doesnt compete with Rock Band for overall rhythm game fun, but as non peripheral ones go, its definitely the best I've played.

Turning on the item that drastically increases the note speed made P4DAN like ten times better. That + All Night mode is where the real game is imo

Turning on the item that drastically increases the note speed made P4DAN like ten times better. That + All Night mode is where the real game is imo

I had decided to mess around with the item that makes the notes invisible, in order to get one of the trophies, and had some fun, even when hitting the buttons at random, I usually ended up hitting them lol.

I rarely ever play rhythm games with modifiers but with P4DAN, I seemed to make the exception really.

Nachos

And i dont know who voice Nozomi , but damn that voice is so sexy, sounds familiar but i dont got any idea who it is.

It goes:
Sumomo: Cassandra Morris
Tomoe: Wendee Lee
Tamami: Stephanie Sheh
Nozomi: Erica Lindbeck
Ochimizu: Kimberly Brooks

If we're going full wishful thinking mode, I'd want Brad Swaile to voice the MC.
He'd be perfect, but he's based out of Canada, so he'd have to fly down to LA to audition and perform.

The way I see it, there are three likely candidates if Atlus doesn't overlap major casting while still getting someone used to working in anime: Bryce Papenbrook, Robbie Daymond, and Michael Sinterniklaas. Personally I'm rooting for Daymond of those three, even if Bryce hadn't already voiced Theodore in Q.

I forgot, but the P4G epilogue happens after the Arena events, right?

So the chronological order is: P4 > P4A > P4AU > P4 Epilogue > P4D?

Lol what? Yosuke had
the police called on him for slugging it out with Yu at the riverbank?

I wish little character details like that weren't hidden behind the dungeon conversations that you never see because the characters almost never appear in there.

Makio

Nozomi: Erica Lindbeck
Ochimizu: Kimberly Brooks

Oh great im going to check Erica she sounds damn fine , and really Kim Brooks , i love her as Batgirl and in Mortal Kombat X.

And i was right about the others ones , top cast it seems.

FluxWaveZ

I said this in July:
There hasn't been a clearer forecast of Persona news since before about August 16, 2013
And I think that's especially true now, when post-promotion for P4D in Japan is over, P5 has recently had its grand event and P4D's out in North America.

I personally don't believe they were holding back on P5 information primarily because of its impending delay. They're going to continue holding back as they have until the game's out.

There's probably not going to be another Persona magazine edition this year; there'd be practically nothing worth buying one for, even if they're usually recaps anyways. I don't think we should expect P5 anime news or 20th anniversary festival news until 2016.

Maybe there'll be a Persona 5 website update soon. And I think Atlus USA might have a presence at the PlayStation Experience, where they'll have a subbed version of PV03.

That kinda conflicts with the epilogues
image change for the cast.

It does not. The
appearance regression
is explicitly addressed at the start of P4D's story. Plus (P4D ending spoilers)
their epilogue appearances return in the story.

squadr0n

Ive got a couple questions for PQ and P4AU.

If I buy the Persona 4 Arena DLC for Ultimax does it include all the story and everything from the first game or is it just the characters? Not exactly sure what the DLC add on is.

And then for Persona Q, If I went the Persona 3 route when does the Persona 4 characters come into play? Im about to hit the 4th floor of the first dungeon at the moment and kinda see how the rest of the game will play out. Also Holy Sh*t at the prices for going to the nurses station lol. How do most people use the nurse? Do you go after every floor basically? Ive been going atleast twice per floor and shes already charging like 6-700$ per visit and its only getting higher.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
And then for Persona Q, If I went the Persona 3 route when does the Persona 4 characters come into play? Im about to hit the 4th floor of the first dungeon at the moment and kinda see how the rest of the game will play out. Also Holy Sh*t at the prices for going to the nurses station lol. How do most people use the nurse? Do you go after every floor basically? Ive been going atleast twice per floor and shes already charging like 6-700$ per visit and its only getting higher.
IIRC at the end of Dungeon 1.

Since your sub-Persona's HP and MP are tacked onto yours at the beginning of every battle, use that MP to heal your party, making sure you don't dip into your "permanent" pool. Or use your leader skill since P3MC gets the party heal.

"We were kidding about "Summer": Persona 5 comes out December 15th, 2016."

Adjusted for accuracy.

On the topic of DAN, just beat my first song on Hard today. Having a lot of fun with it so far, though all of Rise's songs are really hard for me. Something about the note chart or whatever you call it always throws me off.

Website update is pretty much guaranteed this Friday. I'd almost be willing to avatar bet on that.

I expect weekly, or at least bi-weekly #FE news at this point, either through famitsu or website updates, or both. Bet they're going to start rolling out charecter trailers for that soon.

And there's the new Atlus game that will be announced soon(TM).
Famitsu is teasing a major scoop next week, that could potentially be incredibly disappointing like pretty much every teased famitsu scoop :p
. Which will actually probably be a livestream event soonish.

And there's Etrian V, which has to be revealed at some point.

So there's still a fair amount of Atlus things going on, even if more new Persona 5 media is looking unlikely.

Ive got a couple questions for PQ and P4AU.

If I buy the Persona 4 Arena DLC for Ultimax does it include all the story and everything from the first game or is it just the characters? Not exactly sure what the DLC add on is.

The Arena DLC is the full story mode from the first game. All the characters are already in Ultimax.

You should meet the P4 cast pretty soon.

The Nurse is your level x100 iirc, so it gets more manageable as time goes on.

squadr0n

IIRC at the end of Dungeon 1.

Since your sub-Persona's HP and MP are tacked onto yours at the beginning of every battle, use that MP to heal your party, making sure you don't dip into your "permanent" pool.

Great thanks for the tip. Do they tell you at a certain point when to try fighting the FOEs? I went back to the first floor and beat the first FOE on a whim and took it down relatively easily but not sure I can take the rest of them. Should I wait till ive cleared the dungeon or just when I feel confident?

Do we know which team is currently working on #FE? I thought I heard it was the Devil Survivor crew but wasnt sure. This and Xenoblade are the sole reasons im getting a WiiU this holiday. I hope we get it before Persona 5 is out in the west.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Great thanks for the tip. Do they tell you at a certain point when to try fighting the FOEs? I went back to the first floor and beat the first FOE on a whim and took it down relatively easily but not sure I can take the rest of them. Should I wait till ive cleared the dungeon or just when I feel confident?
They won't tell you. I say just give em a try when you feel good about it. They reward you with high-level Persona (perhaps the level they expect you to beat them at?), so the earlier you can scrape by, the better the reward. =)

It does not. The
appearance regression
Oh, interesting! I didn't know that they had addressed that point. Thanks for the correction.

FluxWaveZ

Website update is pretty much guaranteed this Friday. I'd almost be willing to avatar bet on that.

Hm... wanna bet?

So there's still a fair amount of Atlus things going on, even if more new Persona 5 media is looking unlikely.

Regular #FE news makes sense at this point, and they did say they would start releasing character trailers after the news update for the game in Japanese magazines in October (which was this week's). Bi-weekly sounds right.

I guess EOV should resurface this year. I think they'll be holding another November 24 event, and that's where the new Atlus game might be announced. There's also the weekly Odin Sphere Leifthrasir updates we've been getting which will continue.

Specifically, they show up
during the boss fight of dungeon 1.

Healing is the protagonist's level x100, so it's relatively cheap later.

Typically, you'll be ready to take out a dungeon's FOEs about the same time you'll be ready to take out its boss. The fourth dungeon is a partial exception to this, because by that point you can set up your party in some amusingly overpowered ways and take them out a bit early.

Weiss

Banned
Adjusted for accuracy.

On the topic of DAN, just beat my first song on Hard today. Having a lot of fun with it so far, though all of Rise's songs are really hard for me. Something about the note chart or whatever you call it always throws me off.

I gotta wonder; What amount of bug testing requires an entire year? Why'd they insist on 2015 so much if the problems were so bad it needed another year of development?

Sophia

As I planned to, I started us up a PersonaGAF community on the PS4. It's open to anyone, so feel free to join if you see it. I've already invited a number of people, but not everyone is on my friends list. So if you see someone who hasn't been invited yet, throw them one. Especially because the community search feature doesn't appear to be in yet.

FluxWaveZ

I gotta wonder; What amount of bug testing requires an entire year? Why'd they insist on 2015 so much if the problems were so bad it needed another year of development?

QA is probably more rigorous than you think. It's common for games to be feature complete, yet the developers still take 1.5+ years to polish and for it to continue going through QA. This will be especially relevant when it comes to a game like Persona 5, where it's clear the developers want it to be the best game it can be (I mean, that's kind of usually the case for any game, but that passion is definitely not a regular thing). There's stuff you can think back to relating to this, like how Hashino expressed his regret that they went through Persona 4's development without a clear design doc. and how the developers were using a submission form for themselves so that people could give out suggestions and continue iterating on the game, but they eventually had to shut it down so they could actually finish it.

I feel like being vague about it until I see someone posting about it other than me, mainly because I haven't posted actual story spoilers for P4D yet and I want to keep it that way. But it's a very simple yet still reasonable explanation that occurs in chapter 1-8: Investigation Team.

Sophia

QA is probably more rigorous than you think. It's common for games to be feature complete, yet the developers still take 1.5+ years to polish and for it to continue going through QA. This will be especially relevant when it comes to a game like Persona 5, where it's clear the developers want it to be the best game it can be (I mean, that's kind of usually the case for any game, but that passion is definitely not a regular thing). There's stuff you can think back to relating to this, like how Hashino expressed his regret that they went through Persona 4's development without a clear design doc. and how the developers were using a submission form for themselves so that people could give out suggestions and continue iterating on the game, but they eventually had to shut it down so they could actually finish it.

Adding onto this, QA testing can be very extensive too. You need to test every single little bit of thing the game has. It's nothing like the commercials you see on TV that show a couple of guys hanging out and having a good time while their boss asks for their opinion. Every wall needs to get test for collision issues. Every encounter needs to be fought over and over. Every gameplay aspect has to be tested extensively, even the most minor of ones. If you can think of it, it has to be made sure it works right in all possible ways it can be accessed by a player. And anytime the developers change something you have to make sure everything related to that change works too, and then possibly some more if something else in the game world unexpectedly breaks because of that change.

And we know that Persona 5 wasn't feature complete back at Super Live, so 1.5 years is about right from that point to Summer 2016.

Hm... wanna bet?

Don't think I'll risk it actually, still pretty confident in it though. Too many losses recently from people who were "pretty confident" in something.

It does not. The
appearance regression

Bleh. I hate the P4G new epilogue designs for the main cast. It's one of a couple things I choose to ignore about P4G.

Regarding P5, I have no doubt they're needing extensive time to polish up the game as it's clearly their most ambitious and expansive title yet (releasing on both PS3 and PS4), but I sincerely hope part of the reason for the delay wasn't because of the 20th anniversary of the overall franchise and the
unnecessary
anime tie-in. But, I have this sneaking suspicion those things played a part...

FluxWaveZ

Regarding P5, I really hope part of the reason the game was delayed to next year wasn't to do with the 20th anniversary of the overall franchise and the
unnecessary
anime tie-in hulabaloo. But, I have this sneaking suspicion those played a part...

They might have. But even if that was the primary reason for the delay, it does give them more time to spend on polishing the game, which is a win in any case.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Adding onto this, QA testing can be very extensive too. You need to test every single little bit of thing the game has. It's nothing like the commercials you see on TV that show a couple of guys hanging out and having a good time while their boss asks for their opinion. Every wall needs to get test for collision issues. Every encounter needs to be fought over and over. Every gameplay aspect has to be tested extensively, even the most minor of ones. If you can think of it, it has to be made sure it works right in all possible ways it can be accessed by a player. And anytime the developers change something you have to make sure everything related to that change works too, and then possibly some more if something else in the game world unexpectedly breaks because of that change.

Don't forget that every line of dialogue has to be checked for spelling/layout errors!

Sophia

Don't forget that every line of dialogue has to be checked for spelling/layout errors!

Even "I am a dummy message! Hurf a durf a durf!" ? :p

(Actually, I kind of want to know if the Shuffle Time Arcana Failures messages hidden in P4 were a localization thing or if the original Japanese game has funny ones like that too...)

They might have. But even if that was the primary reason for the delay, it does give them more time to spend on polishing the game, which is a win in any case.

Dat feeling when your gramatically flawed post gets quoted. lol.

Anyway, that's a nice glass half-full outlook. It is a win in the end, but man, the delay still hurts. :(

Anyway, that's a nice glass half-full outlook. It is a win in the end, but man, the delay still hurts. :(

At least the game probably won't get delayed again. If only so it doesn't end up accidentally going against the FF7 remake. :p

Lol. This is assuming FFVII:R has anything beyond that blue sky concept teaser trailer Nomura is oh-so-fond of making atm.

Hey, delays can pile up. :p

Weiss

Banned

It really does, especially because we were led to believe it was right around the corner.

I think I'm just going to tune out for a while until we're closer to release date.

FluxWaveZ

w0qxVRa.jpg

Heh.

Top Bottom