• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Lusankya

Using my expert google translate skills, Carmen's persona mentions the books and opera, so it's definitely that Carmen if anyone was still doubting.

It also says "Initial Persona" for everyone. Either because they can evolve again or maybe because we can change Personas for everyone now.

Zolo

It also says "Initial Persona" for everyone. Either because they can develop again or maybe because we can change Personas for everyone now.

I'd expect it means they evolve again except Arsene, but that would be cool if everyone can change.
Apparently, Yusuke's profile mentions he's also an orphan? I'll wait for the people who can actually read Japanese for any more info.

Doesn't look like they give much info that wasn't already translated from Famitsu.

Although apparently "Don't say I'm a cat" is Morgana's catchphrase, don't think we knew that.

Setsu00

I think it's interesting how the inner lining's pattern of Goemon's kimono resembles the part of Carmen's dress that covers her shoulders, just with inverted colors.

I'm also looking forward to the reasoning behind the two butlers that Carmen has.

Zolo

Doesn't look like they give much info that wasn't already translated from Famitsu.

Although apparently "Don't say I'm a cat" is Morgana's catchphrase, don't think we knew that.

That actually seems like it makes it safe to assume she won't be making cat puns then other than maybe further down the road where she's more comfortable with joking about it.

squadr0n

I'm seriously in love with Morgana's character design and her Persona Zorro, way more than Teddies design and specifically his Persona. As a kid I used to love watching the old Zorro Black and white tv show/movies. Kinda want to see her in a Raidou costume like they did with jack for devil summoner 2, she resembles Gouto in cat form somewhat as the sarcastic black cat. Pre order plush please Atlus!

EB Games finally got DAN in yesterday, and they even had a Disco Fever Edition left over.

I may end up kicking myself for it, but I sprung for it. (Gotta support Atlus for P5)

Can't wait for the Hatsune Miku DLC in a few months

Setsu00

None of this is even new information and it's sending me into a frenzy. Time to freeze myself.

I'm not sure if it was in the magazine scans, but the blog post about the website update on Persona Channel mentioned that Yusuke specialized in traditional Japanese art. That was new to me.

Gecoma

Except silent protagonists can still be meaningful to the player. Their actions, the various moments you experience through them, their journeys... all of these are reasons to like them.

Oh totally, they can be meaningful
FeMC for life
& they can even have personality in their dialog choices. But that doesn't make them "one of the top 10 characters in the Persona series" imo. So many better choices.

Especially Minato/Makoto, he seemed so uninterested in everything going on around him.

But everyone projects something differant onto silent protagonists so It's kinda hard to even quantify any actual character of thiers.

Possibly, yeah, but I wonder if that also means something for her character arc.

Maybe one of them could be
that character whom she apparently cares deeply about
mentioned in the character bio.

Lunar15

I'm not sure if it was in the magazine scans, but the blog post about the website update on Persona Channel mentioned that Yusuke specialized in traditional Japanese art. That was new to me.

Never explicitly mentioned, but he's a painter that uses a big japanese calligraphy brush in the trailer and has a traditional japanese persona.

Setsu00

Never explicitly mentioned, but he's a painter that uses a big japanese calligraphy brush in the trailer and has a traditional japanese persona.

The writing was on the wall (pun intended), yes. It would be cool if Yusuke changes his painting style after a certain point in the story to mark his character development.

During the recent sale i bought Persona 3 FES, mainly to play through the Answer. I don't want to replay the Journey part of the game if i don't have to, because i beat P3P a couple of times already.

My question is this: Is there anything that i would be missing if i jumped straight into the Answer?

During the recent sale i bought Persona 3 FES, mainly to play through the Answer. I don't want to replay the Journey part of the game if i don't have to, because i beat P3P a couple of times already.

My question is this: Is there anything that i would be missing if i jumped straight into the Answer?

No. Part of the irritation I had playing it after the Journey is that nothing imports, not your levels, not your inventory.

Nope, it's completely separate from the main game

Lunar15

The writing was on the wall (pun intended), yes. It would be cool if Yusuke changes his painting style after a certain point in the story to mark his character development.

I do wonder what his relationship with his mentor will be. I assume that his mentor will be the one they're trying to reform.

Lunar15

So, there's one thing in PV03 that's throwing me for a loop. I'll spoiler tag it all just in case someone doesn't want to go too in depth:

n the trailer there's a very deep man's voice that's explaining what a Persona is. You can hear him at this point https://youtu.be/wvpOwQaqRXA?t=102. I'm very curious as to who this person is, because they're basically explaining something that's very, very hidden to the outside world. My first thought was that this was the new Igor, but it sounds way too deep for that, unless they decided to go in a brand new direction. But it has to be someone that knows what a persona is, and at the moment that doesn't bring to mind many people. However, you hear him again later in the trailer here https://youtu.be/wvpOwQaqRXA?t=179, where he's talking about the world making up its mind and heading towards destruction. A villain perhaps? The lord of Palace?

I think that's
the new Igor, considering he's basically saying the same stuff he's said in the other two games. If this voice is widely different from his original VA, maybe they're making it distinct out of respect for him (as opposed to trying to emulate him)?

SoulUnison

Banned
I think that's
the new Igor, considering he's basically saying the same stuff he's said in the other two games. If this voice is widely different from his original VA, maybe they're making it distinct out of respect for him (as opposed to trying to emulate him)?

I wonder if they're going to make Igor more of an antagonist rather than a slightly unsettling helper/observer? Compared to "elevator attendant" and "limousine lounge proprietor," "Prison Warder Igor" seems thematically like we'll be at odds with him in some way, even if only ideologically.

The Velvet Rooms used to be like a safe haven where the MC could relax, think and plan. Now it feels like you can't get fully "into" it and there's also some symbolism of "escaping from" it.

Nachos

You know, I wonder if P5 or some other future game in the series will bring back the Persona combos. They were kinda cool. I mean, if you have the ability to summon multiple Personas, might as well take that to its logical conclusion, right?
That'd be neat, but if forced to choose, I think I'd rather have a fusion spell or analogue of it come back. Golden already added something similar-ish, but it was so inconsequential that it makes me wonder if it's an idea that they'll try to flesh out later.

Not after he had to commit seppuku.
But he just posted on the last page?

I think that's
Honestly, the voice just sounds like a Japanese narrator who could've just been used for promotional purposes. The voice is very deep and subdued, which doesn't fit Igor at all, considering he's still rocking the exaggerated proportions and bulging eyes. Unless, of course, they just pull a bait-and-switch early into the game and have Igor physically transform into something more "realistic."

Honestly, the voice just sounds like a Japanese narrator who could've just been used for promotional purposes. The voice is very deep and subdued, which doesn't fit Igor at all, considering he's still rocking the exaggerated proportions and bulging eyes. Unless, of course, they just pull a bait-and-switch early into the game and have Igor physically transform into something more "realistic."

I dunno.
I honestly feel his voice fits. Maybe look at his portrait while the voice clip plays to see if it fits together?

That'd be neat, but if forced to choose, I think I'd rather have a fusion spell or analogue of it come back. Golden already added something similar-ish, but it was so inconsequential that it makes me wonder if it's an idea that they'll try to flesh out later.

I feel like a bad MegaTen fan, but I don't know what you are referring to when you say "fusion spells."

Nachos

I dunno.
I honestly feel his voice fits. Maybe look at his portrait while the voice clip plays to see if it fits together?
Still not really feeling it. (http://imgur.com/1mqL511.img). He reminds me of a human equivalent of a deranged daddy long legs. It's just that the voice is so bassy and the artwork so spindly/lanky that I would half expect him to topple over after every sentence. Not to mention that there isn't even a hint of flourish in the voice over.

Nachos

I feel like a bad MegaTen fan, but I don't know what you are referring to when you say "fusion spells."
HFrYRXc.jpg

The joint attacks from Persona 2, where selecting certain attacks from different characters in sequence would give you the option of combining them into a single attack. Two's implementation is pretty specific to it, since it let you see and manipulate the turn order to get things lined up, but I think it'd be neat if 5 had something equivalent that worked with its mechanics. Like I said, Golden added pairs of party members occasionally following up all out attacks with unique skills, but it wasn't that functional, seeing as how it was random and didn't always do great damage.

He's immortal?
Probably figured out that the fountain of youth is sustained by the tears of melodramatic fanboys, which is why he was so insistent on 2015. He has enough to live for an eternity after the TGS announcement.

HFrYRXc.jpg

The joint attacks from Persona 2, where selecting certain attacks from different characters in sequence would give you the option of combining them into a single attack. Two's implementation is pretty specific to it, since it let you see and manipulate the turn order to get things lined up, but I think it'd be neat if 5 had something equivalent that worked with its mechanics. Like I said, Golden added pairs of party members occasionally following up all out attacks with unique skills, but it wasn't that functional, seeing as how it was random and didn't always do great damage.

I want to say that DDS did something like this also.

I want to say that DDS did something like this also.
It had a pretty similar system, but you couldn't abuse it as much there as you can in P2. And there was wasn't an over reliance on the system either, I pretty much for the most part ignored it unless I knew it would be useful for me because the system was very situational in DDS.

I'm playing through P4D now, and man this game is giving cramps in my fingers on the higher difficulty settings.

FluxWaveZ

It's a rhythm game so it's natural, but man there haven't been enough mentions on how good the original music in P4D's story mode is. Morning Glory,
Collective Will of All Who Yearn for Bonds
, Much More Than You Think, Artificial Smile, Crocodile Tears, etc. are extremely good tracks, and they're a big part of why I wish there were more playable original songs in the game. There's also all of the fantastic remixes of previous songs which are only in story mode, like "I'll Face Myself (...and I'll Keep On Dancing!)" and "Dance Hymn of the Soul (Disco In Velvet Room)."

I think the music is a big part of why I prefer P4D's story to all of the other spin-offs, along with staying true to the Investigation Team from Persona 4 (2008), Dojima's heavy involvement in the narrative, and how much this feels like a more natural progression to P4's story than Arena (which was, obviously, more about Persona 3 than the P4 cast).

cj_iwakura

It's a rhythm game so it's natural, but man there haven't been enough mentions on how good the original music in P4D's story mode is. Morning Glory,
Collective Will of All Who Yearn for Bonds
, Much More Than You Think, Artificial Smile, Crocodile Tears, etc. are extremely good tracks, and they're a big part of why I wish there were more playable original songs in the game. There's also all of the fantastic remixes of previous songs which are only in story mode, like "I'll Face Myself (...and I'll Keep On Dancing!)" and "Dance Hymn of the Soul (Disco In Velvet Room)."

I think the music is a big part of why I prefer P4D's story to all of the other spin-offs, along with staying true to the Investigation Team from Persona 4 (2008), Dojima's heavy involvement in the narrative, and how much this feels like a more natural progression to P4's story than Arena (which was, obviously, more about Persona 3 than the P4 cast).

It's a step in the right direction(especially Kozuka's OST contributions), but they could cut almost all of the Investigation Team crap out and have a much stronger story.

So, this whole time I hadn't bothered to actually look up what the picaresque subgenre really is; I wasn't familiar with the name, and I just kind of had a general idea from discussion on P5. I trotted over to the Wikipedia article, and literally my favourite novel is listed as an example of a more modern take on it.

fffffffffff

I need this game you guys

I need it

daevious

So, this whole time I hadn't bothered to actually look up what the picaresque subgenre really is; I wasn't familiar with the name, and I just kind of had a general idea from discussion on P5. I trotted over to the Wikipedia article, and literally my favourite novel is listed as an example of a more modern take on it.

fffffffffff

I need this game you guys

I need it

Which novel is it, so I can find it later?

Sophia

I feel like this is kind of off-topic, but this is a Public Service Announcement for all of you who have been in this topic for an extended period of time.

You are all on trial.

If I don't like these games, the lot of you shall all be responsible for my despair! All those off-topic spoilerific discussions will be bloodstains on your hands! BE PREPARED. ;_;

I'll probably like them, despite knowing some of the spoilers. >.>

We now return to you regularly scheduled Persona programming, free of trigger happy havoc, despair, and Ron Paul.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.

Edit: The article actually lists the series, but the first book is pretty much universally agreed to be much better than books two and three.

Ooh, I've heard of The Gentlemen Bastard series, but I've never actually read them. Maybe I'll go to the library and see if they have a copy of this...

Top Bottom