• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I shit you not, Hatoful Boyfriend is also a brilliant VN. I bought it as a joke game but the 'true ending' path is genuinely brilliant.

I feel like this is kind of off-topic, but this is a Public Service Announcement for all of you who have been in this topic for an extended period of time.

You are all on trial.

If I don't like these games, the lot of you shall all be responsible for my despair! All those off-topic spoilerific discussions will be bloodstains on your hands! BE PREPARED. ;_;

Sophia, I had nothing to do with this and you know it. Kindly don't use so broad a brush. :p

Also have fun.

I feel like this is kind of off-topic, but this is a Public Service Announcement for all of you who have been in this topic for an extended period of time.

You are all on trial.

If I don't like these games, the lot of you shall all be responsible for my despair! All those off-topic spoilerific discussions will be bloodstains on your hands! BE PREPARED. ;_;

I see... I shall wait for your judgement, mortal.

tumblr_inline_nr2u5rqtRE1tvl4zq_500.png

Gazoinks

You are all on trial.

If I don't like these games, the lot of you shall all be responsible for my despair! All those off-topic spoilerific discussions will be bloodstains on your hands! BE PREPARED. ;_;.

Yah know, I forgot about that time this thread became the Danganronpa spoiler thread. Good times. Gooood times...

Anyway, P4D is fun and P5 looks amazing. I'm really glad we've got official art of the Personae revealed so far now, they're some of my favorite designs the series has had so far. I love Carmen jerking around the two dudes she seduced. I also love Zorro's tiny, tiny rapier.

I shit you not, Hatoful Boyfriend is also a brilliant VN. I bought it as a joke game but the 'true ending' path is genuinely brilliant.

That route will make you cry for those pigeons.

cj_iwakura

You are all on trial.

I'll probably like them, despite knowing some of the spoilers. >.>

We now return to you regularly scheduled Persona programming, free of trigger happy havoc, despair, and Ron Paul.

Ooh, I've heard of The Gentlemen Bastard series, but I've never actually read them. Maybe I'll go to the library and see if they have a copy of this...

The first is better, but the second is worth playing for the crazy endgame. It's kind of like 999 and VLR. The second has more going on, but it loses the tension of the original.

That said, some of Masafumi Takada's best work. Most underrated composer around.

We recommending off topic games now? Everyone go play Undertale. It even has a SMT inspired negotiation system, although with fairly different implementation, so it's slightly relevant.

cj_iwakura

We recommending off topic games now? Everyone go play Undertale. It even has a SMT inspired negotiation system, although with fairly different implementation, so it's slightly relevant.

The most SMT-like non-SMT games I've ever played are from the Shadow Hearts series. That and Folklore(no surprise, given that Cozy Okada was involved).

The most SMT-like non-SMT games I've ever played are from the Shadow Hearts series. That and Folklore(no surprise, given that Cozy Okada was involved).

Never played From the New World, but yeah, the first two Shadow Hearts games are pretty decent. Only played the demo of Folklore, although I do own the full game which I'm sure I'll get around to at some point.

Nachos

You should all play that series that ripped off Persona Q. The company that makes it, sultA, was even nice enough to offer demos that can transfer to the full games.

More serious answer (though you should try the Etrian games if you haven't), but give Chulip a whirl. The link I posted goes into the game more, but it's basically what'd you'd get if you took the smaller, more personal town areas of the Persona games, added a bit of Majora's Mask, and made a weird but pleasant game out of them about kissing strangers. It can be a little unparsable at times, making a walkthrough necessary, but it's such a quirky but mellow game about getting to know the NPCs and solving their problems.

I'm really bummed that my computer's out of commission right now. I can wait to play the recent AAA games whenever, but I've been waiting for Undertale and The Iconoclasts for years.

Some new stuff has arrived... Excite!

P1030263_zpsmipzvoip.jpg
Super Live CD cover looks very Cowboy Bebop-ish.

Guys, I have a very important, fundamental, critical question:

How does the Dark Hour work with timezones? Does the Dark Hour only exist in Japan? Is it global and Japan just happened to get it at midnight?

The answer is "you're not supposed to think about that, nerd!"

Dugna

How does the Dark Hour work with timezones? Does the Dark Hour only exist in Japan? Is it global and Japan just happened to get it at midnight?

My guess is that its at midnight in every zone but that hour starts the same even if somebody enters it in our time earlier, so like If I'm the east coast and enter it earlier then somebody in the west coast they enter it and start at the beginning of the midnight hour. So then Even if when somebody in say the east coast leaves the midnight hour they're still ahead in time.

Like it's own closed space in time. That the only requirement is that it has to be midnight at your time to enter.

Zolo

The latter statement's more accurate though since it seems Japan's the only area that has people affected by apathy syndrome since all they talk about is how it would hurt Japan's economy, but never mention anywhere else in the world.

I would suspect that it's global and occurs at the same point in every time zone regardless of whether it's midnight or not. It's just tuned to Japan time since that's the location of it's origin, and tartarus.

The latter statement's more accurate though since it seems Japan's the only area that has people affected by apathy syndrome since all they talk about is how it would hurt Japan's economy, but never mention anywhere else in the world.

Well we don't hear anything about other countries do we? Seeing as the game is set in and focuses on Japan only. If apathy syndrome is only in Japan, it could be down to proximity to tartarus I guess?

My guess is that its at midnight in every zone but that hour starts the same even if somebody enters it in our time earlier, so like If I'm the east coast and enter it earlier then somebody in the west coast they enter it and start at the beginning of the midnight hour. So then Even if when somebody in say the east coast leaves the midnight hour they're still ahead in time.

Like it's own closed space in time. That the only requirement is that it has to be midnight at your time to enter.

See, I kind of like this explanation, but the logical part of me was thinking that...

I would suspect that it's global and occurs at the same point in every time zone regardless of whether it's midnight or not. It's just tuned to Japan time since that's the location of it's origin, and tartarus.

...it's more likely to be this, because I can't imagine supernatural phenomena could remotely care about human time zones.

Well we don't hear anything about other countries do we? Seeing as the game is set in and focuses on Japan only. If apathy syndrome is only in Japan, it could be down to proximity to tartarus I guess?

They do mention in the beginning that seeing Shadows outside of Tartarus is weird to them, which implies that Apathy Syndrome at least would mostly be local.

Dugna

See, I kind of like this explanation, but the logical part of me was thinking that...

...it's more likely to be this, because I can't imagine supernatural phenomena could remotely care about human time zones.

They do mention in the beginning that seeing Shadows outside of Tartarus is weird to them, which implies that Apathy Syndrome at least would mostly be local.

But the phenomena is caused by human interactions and human ideas, but yeah overall it might just be japan dunno.

FluxWaveZ

Spoil it for me.

I'm not going to go in-depth into what happens in the game. It's just that a scenario happens that is very similar to what happened with the Apathy Syndrome case and Naoto name-drops it and explores how it unfolded, since she was doing personal research into the events of Persona 3 for a separate case.

I'm not going to go in-depth into what happens in the game. It's just that a scenario happens that is very similar to what happened with the Apathy Syndrome case and Naoto name-drops it and explores how it unfolded, since she was doing personal research into the events of Persona 3 for a separate case.

I see. Maybe I should find a Let's Play of that part sometime.

Jintor

naoto retains her role as exposition lady. i guess she is the only one of the cast who has a decent reason to be looking into weird shit though.

FluxWaveZ

I wonder if she ever investigated the events of Persona 1 and 2 as well.

Probably not since that's way before her time and it's not like she'd need to investigate it for anything recent in their supernatural world. I think the case she was referring to in P4D concerned what happened in the Persona 4 Arena duology, if it wasn't something else entirely.

cj_iwakura

Probably not since that's way before her time and it's not like she'd need to investigate it for anything recent in their supernatural world. I think the case she was referring to in P4D concerned what happened in the Persona 4 Arena duology, if it wasn't something else entirely.

She'd probably rather not find out that the world was destroyed and this timeline shouldn't exist.

FluxWaveZ

Probably an antagonist. Or the now-fully voice acted demons.

No, that's a protagonist talking about the objective of the Phantom Thieves and about awakening to the power of Persona. That person is absolutely part of the main protagonist group.

Edit: Not to mention that the dialogue is part of a sequence where all the protagonists are talking one after another.

Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe the new Igor? No way, too young.

Well, my guess is that it's the P5MC, but I need other people to confirm. It wouldn't be Igor because of what that person is saying.

No, that's a protagonist talking about the objective of the Phantom Thieves and about awakening to the power of Persona. That person is absolutely part of the main protagonist group.

Edit: Not to mention that the dialogue is part of a sequence where all the protagonists are talking one after another.

Well, my guess is that it's the P5MC, but I need other people to confirm. It wouldn't be Igor because of what that person is saying.

The
"We can definitely get the key back!"
part?

It definitely sounds like Jun Fukuyama to me, but it's hard to be completely certain.

Lunar15

Who's talking during 1:55 of the Persona 5 PV03 trailer? It doesn't sound like Yusuke or Ryuji, but it has to be one of the Phantom Thieves.

Could be a really angry Yusuke, but I have to admit, it sounds remarkably like Jun Fukuyama.

Y'know, there's so many parts in that trailer where the MC is set up to talk. Him appearing on the big screen in the city, him getting interrogated, all that stuff. I strongly doubt he's going to be silent. Plus, they have an OVA coming out BEFORE the game. Unless it doesn't involve him, I'd imagine they're going to have to have him talk and give him a name right away.

We've already heard his voice actor speak as if he was him (announcing himself at the persona concert), so I just simply think he's going to talk. While I'm overall fine with this, it does kind of remove that whole outsider feeling from it. Hard to explain. I think part of why giant bomb latched on to the game is because P4 MC is such a blank state with cool dialogue options that he seems like the straight man in a nonsense world. MC in this one is definitely a crazy part of this world, but only in his phantom form. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with it.

FluxWaveZ

So the kind of vague consensus is that it very well might be Jun Fukuyama, i.e. the Persona 5 Main Character. He talks in his character page on the official website, so I do expect him to talk in-game, but people were saying that the P5MC doesn't have any voiced lines in PV03 and I'm discovering that very well might not be the case.

I would have zero problem with the protagonist talking and, in fact, I would want him to. He obviously has a personality this time, and making him entirely mute would probably cause a dissonance like Big Boss in MGSV has or, at worse, what they did to Maya in Persona 2: Eternal Punishment.

I always thought that it was Ryuji, because the voice in not deep enough to be the MC's or Yusuke's.

Actually, I'm now fully confident that it's the P5MC.

Compare:

1. PV03 at 1:53
2. P5MC character profile: sound bite 2

Pretty much exactly the same, but with a different cadence.

But it's weird you think that, because I think Sugita's voice for Yusuke is definitely deeper than Miyano's voice for Ryuji.

Edit: Also, it can't be Ryuji. Listen to that sequence starting with who I presume is the P5MC; it goes: P5MC -> ??? -> Ann -> Ryuji -> Morgana. It's obviously highlighting the good guys, individually.

Could be a really angry Yusuke, but I have to admit, it sounds remarkably like Jun Fukuyama.

Y'know, there's so many parts in that trailer where the MC is set up to talk. Him appearing on the big screen in the city, him getting interrogated, all that stuff. I strongly doubt he's going to be silent. Plus, they have an OVA coming out BEFORE the game. Unless it doesn't involve him, I'd imagine they're going to have to have him talk and give him a name right away.

We've already heard his voice actor speak as if he was him (announcing himself at the persona concert), so I just simply think he's going to talk. While I'm overall fine with this, it does kind of remove that whole outsider feeling from it. Hard to explain. I think part of why giant bomb latched on to the game is because P4 MC is such a blank state with cool dialogue options that he seems like the straight man in a nonsense world. MC in this one is definitely a crazy part of this world, but only in his phantom form. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with it.

I've been suspicious for a while now of the continued existence of the silent protagonist trope in this series. Another example going all the way back to PV01: When they're planning in the cafe, MC is the one tracing a path on the map with his finger. I just finished replaying P4, and there's no way something like that would have been done by Yu. It would have been Yosuke or Naoto, without question.

While I like my silent Persona MCs, I trust P-Studio with a speaking one, especially given the genre they're going for this time.

(I briefly started reading one of the Arsene Lupin novels last night out of curiosity, and the jackass is just so eminently likeable).

arue

But it's weird you think that, because I think Sugita's voice for Yusuke is definitely deeper than Miyano's voice for Ryuji.
I made a typo and supposed to say that the voice at 1:55 is not deep enough to be the MC or Yusuke.

But it doesn't really matter now, because you got it figured out. The voice in the PV does sound like the MC, except he was angrier.

Setsu00

That doesn't really sound like Fukuyama to me. I always assumed it was Ryuji, because Miyano's voice has incredible range... It also sounded a bit like Light from Death Note during (Major spoilers)
his confrontation with Near

Oh, and
Happy Birthday. Sorry I didn''t notice. :p

it's cool, and thanks! lol.

So is it just me or is P3 easier than P4?

I'm at the ass end of October. About how many hours are left?

I have like 3.5 million yen. What do I do with all my yens?

Is there any easier way to level up? Wanted to be level 60 by the next operation but all the shadows are scared of me and don't give me shit for exp. I still need like 13000 exp.

Is there any easier way to level up? Wanted to be level 60 by the next operation but all the shadows are scared of me and don't give me shit for exp. I still need like 13000 exp.

I thought P3 was harder than 4, though I played 3 before 4. I also remember Golden more, which was even easier than 4 vanilla.

Sophia

.... what difficulty are you playing on, what version of Persona 3, and what level are you right now? o_O;

Also, be spending your yens at the arcade to max out either social stats or Persona stats.

Top Bottom