• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

PK Gaming

CQL0h6ZU8AAsPr2.png

This fanart is too good, I had to share

(Source)

Yeah exactly. It's also why they make it a bigger focus with Yukiko than the other p4 girls.

Yeah for her it makes sense, being part of the deconstruction of the "ideal Japanese woman" archetype.
Not sure what to say about her being able to cook at the end of her s-link if it's platonic, tho...

Lunar15

I doubt they'll indulge in that crap in P5, but you better believe Ryuji's gonna try to drag you into peeping on the girls.

Twist: It's the cat and she's a lesbian. Ryuji finds the act of peeping deplorable.

Other Twist: It's the cat again but she drags Anne into peeping on the guys.

Other Other Twist: There's no hot springs scene and instead it's a cook-off where everyone is really talented at cooking. Gordon Ramsey is a social link.

PK Gaming

Twist: It's the cat and she's a lesbian. Ryuji finds the act of peeping deplorable.

Other Other Twist: There's no hot springs scene and instead it's a cook-off where everyone is really talented at cooking. Gordon Ramsey is a social link.

lol

All 3 of those twists are fucking fantastic

If there is a god, please.

I usually don't care about things being tropey or played out as long as they are done well.

"X cant cook" has never been funny, ever

"X surprisingly can cook" however actually has been

Gecoma

As long as P5 has no hotspring scene, no girl who is bad at cooking, no
tragic death of the comic relief's girlfriend
& no
betrayal by an adult friend
I can pretty much go ahead call it a perfect plot now.

Sophia

The Lethal Chef trope only really works when it's one character in a vast cast. It gets rather odd and a bit nonsensical if everyone can't cook, or if there isn't a cast big enough to make this trope work.

I've always found Persona 4 especially odd. Coming from a rural place myself, one of the things you need to be able to do is cook. It's not like you have quick and easy access to something otherwise. So almost everyone here knows how to cook basic stuff (breakfasts, hamburgers, etc) and it's really odd that none of the Inaba girls except Naoto can cook.

The Lethal Chef trope only really works when it's one character in a vast cast. It gets rather odd and a bit nonsensical if everyone can't cook, or if there isn't a cast big enough to make this trope work.

I've always found Persona 4 especially odd. Coming from a rural place myself, one of the things you need to be able to do is cook. It's not like you have quick and easy access to something otherwise. So almost everyone here knows how to cook basic stuff (breakfasts, hamburgers, etc) and it's really odd that none of the Inaba girls except Naoto can cook.

And even in her case,
it was after a number of tries with a cookbook, wasn't it?

Lunar15

Well, I think the idea is that Yukiko always had staff that cooked, Chie is a tomboy who eats only grilled meat, Naoto is pre-occupied with being an ace detective, and Rise is an idol who never had time for cooking because she was on tour.

I mean, it's still a shitty trope, but there were reasons.

Well, I think the idea is that Yukiko always had staff that cooked, Chie is a tomboy who eats only grilled meat, Naoto is pre-occupied with being an ace detective, and Rise is an idol who never had time for cooking because she was on tour.

You have a point. What was Fuuka's excuse?

PK Gaming

Naoto is pretty decent at cooking from what I can recall. Well, when she's following instructions to the letter, anyway.

If I'm to be completely honest, I'd jump for joy if the other female of the group was an older detective lady - especially with her current VA sounding as good as it does.

Of course PersonaGAF has to rain on my parade and remind me of Naoto.
I completely forgot she was a detective for most of the game after gaining her as a party member

Sophia

Naoto and Rise I can understand, but Chie and Yukiko don't really have an excuse for living in a place like Inaba and not knowing how to cook ;_;

And shitty parents, iirc.

She didn't really have crappy parents so much as they were just overbearing.

So when exactly does Q take place. Playing the P3 story and
Elizabeth mentions the typhoon so I would assume it takes place after, but the groups convo at Tartarus makes it seem like it is during the typhoon, which it couldn't be since Makoto was bed ridden. Or does the opening Velvet room scene take place after Q since Makoto has some recollection of Yu?

Or does it basically tell me in story?

Lunar15

Not necessarily. Raised in a broken home and all that...

See, I'd think that would mean she'd have to cook for herself more.

Naoto and Rise I can understand, but Chie and Yukiko don't really have an excuse for living in a place like Inaba and not knowing how to cook ;_;

Yukiko I kind of get: she never had to cook because she has a whole kitchen staff. Not exactly a normal rural upbringing.

Chie is the one with the least excuses, but the whole idea is that she's a tomboy and tomboys don't know how to cook because they're not girly looooooool (blegh)

Make it happen Atlus ....

11224860_974511092572234_7152068658667873752_n.png

While that looks like a great take on Morgana's design, I don't think she'd look like that if she changes into a human.

Judging by her voice and mannerisms in her normal 'cat' form, I'm expecting a more lithe, tomboyish look for her human form.

But still, meow.

Zolo

Apparently, the biggest surprise may be that Morgana is a guy with a feminine name after about a year's worth of fanart and pronouns.

cj_iwakura

Especially seeing how Rise's family runs a tofu shop.

It's the worst trope.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
So when exactly does Q take place. Playing the P3 story and
Elizabeth mentions the typhoon so I would assume it takes place after, but the groups convo at Tartarus makes it seem like it is during the typhoon, which it couldn't be since Makoto was bed ridden. Or does the opening Velvet room scene take place after Q since Makoto has some recollection of Yu?

Or does it basically tell me in story?

I can't remember exactly but I think it's when both characters are out of action game wise, so during the Typhoon in 3 and during whenever the hell Yu gets the flu in 4.

FluxWaveZ

I can't remember exactly but I think it's when both characters are out of action game wise, so during the Typhoon in 3 and during whenever the hell Yu gets the flu in 4.

This doesn't happen to Yu in Persona 4, which are the events that Persona Q is essentially based on (alongside the original release of Persona 3).

Dates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNDum2gjeH4

Edit: Wait, I say that but then Marie happens. So never mind that assumption.

Marie's fault. 100% serious, too.

Fuck's sake.

Never played the original Persona 3, but I wouldn't think that bit of information was specific to FES. It was a passing mention as to why the Gekkoukan school festival was cancelled.

I'll have to watch for it on my replay; if it was a passing mention, I probably disregarded it as soon as it came up. :/

The MC sleeps through it.

...And this would explain why my brain just instantly wrote it off.

Top Bottom