• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

4RUFFNq.jpg

P5 was P4 all along!

I think it would be interesting to compare scenes from P3 and P4 to scenes we've seen in P5 and see how much they've really improved in different areas, thanks to the new engine, it's much more of a step up compared to P3 -> P4.

(I'll whip some up comparisons tonight once I have time)

I just noticed the bullet being thrown in the P5 transition, man I want the game so damn badly. I hope winter passes by fast this year.

Oh man I only noticed now. That little flick at the end. So good. The long time this game's spent in development definitely shows in all this detail.

Zolo

At least in FES, did the characters ever summon their personas outside of the dark hour? I know Chidori's manifested in normal time showing it was possible, but I don't think they ever summoned them during regular hours.

At least in FES, did the characters ever summon their personas outside of the dark hour? I know Chidori's manifested in normal time showing it was possible, but I don't think they ever summoned them during regular hours.

Nope. And
Chidori's a special case, since hers was going berserk and immediately tried to kill her due to lack of meds.

I'm guessing the P4 method of persona awakening is the most accessible (anyone who accepts their shadow gets one), but also results in the weakest summon, only working in the realm of the unconsciousness.
People who have the 'potential' in P3 seem to have stronger connections to their persona and, as such, can summon them in a world that's mostly theirs.
No clue what P1 and P2's deals were tho...

PK Gaming

Mitsuru summons hers during the hotspring event if you get caught

It's a gag event so your mileage may vary...

Makio

Not in FES but i remember in Arena, Fuuka summons her persona outside of the TV World and
basically saves the day

arue

I can see the improvements made for each game. I thought P3's was cool when I first get into Persona, but P5 just blew everything out of the water now.

Also, Yu figma arrived today and I recreated the P4AU artwork (with my Aigis figma).
(I didn't replicate the same exact pose because I was too lazy)

PersonaGAF, can I get a link to the finished image Soejima did on stream? I saved it on my phone, but my computer is being an idiot about reading the file correctly.

Setsu00

Boom! Thanks!

Edit: As I have spent entirely too much time staring at Arsene for the past several hours for... reasons, it occurs to me that his weird mask extensions are probably supposed to evoke the imagery of devil horns?

Looks like it, yes. I mean the face on his mask looks kinda evil too and he even has claws.

Zolo

Boom! Thanks!

Edit: As I have spent entirely too much time staring at Arsene for the past several hours for... reasons, it occurs to me that his weird mask extensions are probably supposed to evoke the imagery of devil horns?

Yeah. They look sharp. Also, the way his shoes are shaped with the daggers indicate high-heels.

On other topic: Just heard Rise's JP VA. This is one of the few cases I can absolutely say the English VA is better.

Rie Kugiyama is either love-her-or-hate-her as a seiyuu, but at least she's been the sole voice of Rise in all the P4 games in Japan.

(Again, I'm very jealous the Japanese cast stayed in tact through all the years.)

Yeah. They look sharp. Also, the way his shoes are shaped with the daggers indicate high-heels.

On other topic: Just heard Rise's JP VA. This is one of the few cases I can absolutely say the English VA is better.

Have you heard Teddie's?

Rie Kugiyama is either love-her-or-hate-her as a seiyuu, but at least she's been the sole voice of Rise in all the P4 games in Japan.

(Again, I'm very jealous the Japanese cast stayed in tact through all the years.)

It's pretty much due to VAs being far more important there. I was honestly surprised (and relieved) they brought back Igor for 5 after his original seiyuu died.

Looks like it, yes. I mean the face on his mask looks kinda evil too and he even has claws.

I guess it's kind of obvious, but I somehow didn't make that connection right away. Too focused on how thin they are and where they originate from to notice the overall shape they were making. Missing the forest for the trees, I guess.

And I know he has heels, lol.

VegiHam

So I bought SMT IV in a sale and Jesus this game tough. No wonder everyone prefers Persona when the 'real' games are this brutal.

PK Gaming

So I bought SMT IV in a sale and Jesus this game tough. No wonder everyone prefers Persona when the 'real' games are this brutal.

I know it seems that way, but it really isn't. SMTIV has a brutal beginning, but once you get your bearings it becomes a cakewalk.

You just have to power through those earlier bits.

VegiHam

I know it seems that way, but it really isn't. SMTIV has a brutal beginning, but once you get your bearings it becomes a cakewalk.

You just have to power through those earlier bits.

How, though? How do I power through? I've done all the quests I can, but the boss still kills me over and over. Also, going anywhere is a confusing mess of menus; and fusion? What were they thinking? Why can't I just pick the dudes I want to smush. I only have a few dudes cus recruiting them is so dumb. It's like pot luck except if I get it wrong I lose my turn then get killed and have no money. Arrrgh.

How, though? How do I power through? I've done all the quests I can, but the boss still kills me over and over. Also, going anywhere is a confusing mess of menus; and fusion? What were they thinking? Why can't I just pick the dudes I want to smush. I only have a few dudes cus recruiting them is so dumb. It's like pot luck except if I get it wrong I lose my turn then get killed and have no money. Arrrgh.

Tough shit. You can't pick dudes to fuse if you don't have the dudes to begin with.
Also, you can save at any time, I suggest using that to your advantage.

VegiHam

Tough shit. You can't pick dudes to fuse if you don't have the dudes to begin with.
Also, you can save at any time, I suggest using that to your advantage.

I have two guys I want to fuse, go to fusion. Surely I can just say 'please fuse these two' but no, gotta do a search to find available fusions using 'please use one of these guys' as a parameter.

All of the menus are this dumb. I normally wouldn't mind but it's just making a frustrating game worse.

And I'm saving a lot but it's still not enough. Manually saving after every fight is some old school rubbish.

PK Gaming

First off, you need to beef up your squad by recruiting demons. It's frustrating and luck based, but you have to keep at it. Next, you need to optimize your party if you want to take it down. It's weak to bufu so your protagonist and demons need to have it, and you need to debuff its accuracy so it doesn't murder you.

I have two guys I want to fuse, go to fusion. Surely I can just say 'please fuse these two' but no, gotta do a search to find available fusions using 'please use one of these guys' as a parameter.

All of the menus are this dumb. I normally wouldn't mind but it's just making a frustrating game worse.

And I'm saving a lot but it's still not enough. Manually saving after every fight is some old school rubbish.

I'm pretty sure you can fuse 2 demons normally, no strings attached. Also, you definitely shouldn't be saving after every fight.

VegiHam

First off, you need to beef up your squad by recruiting demons. It's frustrating and luck based, but you have to keep at it. Next, you need to optimize your party if you want to take it down. It's weak to bufu so your protagonist and demons need to have it, and you need to debuff its accuracy so it doesn't murder you.

I'm pretty sure you can fuse 2 demons normally, no strings attached. Also, you definitely shouldn't be saving after every fight.

I have three demons about the level of the boss. Do the demons in backup actually do anything? Whenever I try and fuse stuff it tells me I can swap two strong dudes for a waek one. I just don't get this stuff. It's definitely not weak to Bufu, I've had bufu for ages and it's doing nothing on this boss. If there's an option to just pick two from my team to fuse, I can't find it. And I'm not, but that'd be the only way to stay safe and not have to replay stuff a bunch.

PK Gaming

I have three demons about the level of the boss. Do the demons in backup actually do anything? Whenever I try and fuse stuff it tells me I can swap two strong dudes for a waek one. I just don't get this stuff. It's definitely not weak to Bufu, I've had bufu for ages and it's doing nothing on this boss. If there's an option to just pick two from my team to fuse, I can't find it. And I'm not, but that'd be the only way to stay safe and not have to replay stuff a bunch.

We're talking about the Minotaur boss, right? Or are you stuck on Medusa?

Sophia

I'm guessing you're probably recruiting wrong because you're giving the demon whatever they want instead of actually selecting the option that ends the conversation when it comes up?

squadr0n

Its not that its brutal, Those 2 Bosses in particular are teaching you tactics that you will need to use in order to move on to the rest of the game. If you are struggling then recruit some better demons and fuse them into ones that have the abilities you need for the fight. Trust me, I went through the same thing when I first got SMT IV but once I got the hang of it the rest of the game is cake.

If you need extra help there are some really great guides devoted to those two fights. Also ask on the SMT forums if you need furthur help.

I'm guessing you're probably recruiting wrong because you're giving the demon whatever they want instead of actually selecting the option that ends the conversation when it comes up?

That reminds me, since the conversations are random, you could just refuse to deal when talking to them and there's a chance they'll join you anyway! XD

Sophia

That reminds me, since the conversations are random, you could just refuse to deal when talking to them and there's a chance they'll join you anyway! XD

The conversations aren't entirely random. There's a method to the madness. But yeah, sometimes you'll get the option to join you very quickly.

To help VegiHam further, we need to know:

• a) which boss he is talking about (the miniboss, the first boss Minotaur, or the second boss Medusa)
  • b) what demons he has
  • c) a rough idea of what skills his protagonist and his demon have.
Otherwise it isn't clear where he's at and it's difficult to help him.

The "give two things then can negotiations" tactic I always see getting passed around never works for me. I'm some kind of statistical outlier.

I just give them whatever they want with a few limitations on some items that I won't part with, and keeping a certain amount of cash on me.

VegiHam

We're talking about the Minotaur boss, right? Or are you stuck on Medusa?
Yeah, Medusa. It's extra annoying cus the plot just got way more interesting.
I just choose options at random; because there doesn't seem to be any consistently successful approaches.
Its not that its brutal, Those 2 Bosses in particular are teaching you tactics that you will need to use in order to move on to the rest of the game. If you are struggling then recruit some better demons and fuse them into ones that have the abilities you need for the fight. Trust me, I went through the same thing when I first got SMT IV but once I got the hang of it the rest of the game is cake.

If you need extra help there are some really great guides devoted to those two fights. Also ask on the SMT forums if you need furthur help.
Recruiting and fusing are just beyond my understanding at the moment. And they aren't even all that fun. I don't know where to start with recruiting demons, or how to make the ones I want to recruit show up, or how to fuse them into stuff I want.

Is there like an expectation with this series that you'll be googling as you go? Do Atlas sell guids to make money? Cus I don't really get how you're supposed to do any of this without external help...

Edit:
The conversations aren't entirely random. There's a method to the madness. But yeah, sometimes you'll get the option to join you very quickly.

To help VegiHam further, we need to know:

• a) which boss he is talking about (the miniboss, the first boss Minotaur, or the second boss Medusa)
  • b) what demons he has
  • c) a rough idea of what skills his protagonist and his demon have.
Otherwise it isn't clear where he's at and it's difficult to help him.
It's Medusa. I have Bifrons, Aeros, Gremlin, Pixie and Lham Dearg. I have bufu, zio, dia and life drain, my guys have agi, tetanus cut, mabufu, and patra.

Yeah, Medusa. It's extra annoying cus the plot just got way more interesting.

I just choose options at random; because there doesn't seem to be any consistently successful approaches.

Recruiting and fusing are just beyond my understanding at the moment. And they aren't even all that fun. I don't know where to start with recruiting demons, or how to make the ones I want to recruit show up, or how to fuse them into stuff I want.

Is there like an expectation with this series that you'll be googling as you go? Do Atlas sell guids to make money? Cus I don't really get how you're supposed to do any of this without external help...

Edit:
It's Medusa. I have Bifrons, Aeros, Gremlin, Pixie and Lham Dearg. I have bufu, zio, dia and life drain, my guys have agi, tetanus cut, mabufu, and patra.

Medusa is weak to Zan. Pixie should already have that skill. You should try to get Zan onto your protag and fill your party with demons capable of using Zan. Medusa uses gun and electric attacks, so try not to have too many demons with weakness to those as she'll easily rack up turns. I think at that point in the game you also have access to Sukukaja/Tarukaja/Rakukaja (and maybe Rakunda/Tarunda/Sukunda? don't remember too well). Buffs and debuffs are essential. Also try to get Media.

I'm not really sure how you're having trouble fusion though lol. If you have played Persona 4 Golden or Devil Survivor, it's very similar in that you can search and see all the possible demons you can make through fusion, or you can manually select demons and fuse them together. You can also choose which skills the resulting demon inherits. I remember SMT IV having a lot of ways to filter your searches for demon fusing, so you might have to mess around in the menu for a minute.

I find that with negotiation, denying the demon what they want or "end negotiations" works a lot of the time. It sucks when you mess up a negotiation and you get killed, but that's just how it goes, especially in the beginning. As far as getting the demons you want to recruit to show up, you'll just have to deal with encounters until you find the one you want.

The beginning of the game is definitely the toughest part, but the difficulty starts to drop off pretty fast, like others have said above.

Ganbatte.

Question for those of us who have finished PQ (spoilers for that and P3 ahead).
I went over the footage I recorded of the Chronos battle, and my team consisted of Yu, Makoto, Yukari, Yukiko, and Shinjiro. When Chronos used Gears of Time, the timer for Yu, Yukiko, and Yukari was 7, for Shinji and Makoto, it was 3. Is it possible this was intentional foreshadowing for their upcoming demise?

DNAbro

Question for those of us who have finished PQ (spoilers for that and P3 ahead).
I went over the footage I recorded of the Chronos battle, and my team consisted of Yu, Makoto, Yukari, Yukiko, and Shinjiro. When Chronos used Gears of Time, the timer for Yu, Yukiko, and Yukari was 7, for Shinji and Makoto, it was 3. Is it possible this was intentional foreshadowing for their upcoming demise?

pretty sure it's random

Sophia

Well, Dreamcast nailed the rest of the stuff, so let me clarify on this. Generally, demons have one of two types of events that'll happen. One is a question. The answer to this is based off their personality, so there's an element of luck unless you REALLY know your demons well. But you can get a general idea of what to answer based upon the demon. The other is a request for something. Usually, after two or three events, you'll get the option to stop negotiating with that demon via an option called "End Talks." For many demons, this will usually get them to join you. Some demons will join you right after the first question if you luck out/correctly select the right answer tho.

In general, just know when to stop negotiating with a demon. If you don't end the talk, you'll have a much harder time convincing them to join. Also, another reason why you want to recruit as many demons as possible is because negotiating with a demon that's already in your party has many benefits. You could be healed HP/SP, you could get an item, or money, etc. In all cases, it'll also end the battle immediately which is a FANTASTIC way to not get slaughtered if you run into a bad scenario.

Top Bottom