• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

FluxWaveZ

Oh wow, I was just made aware of something that Hashino said about Persona 5 last year, before we ever saw PV01 on February 5, 2015. Other sites glossed over it, but I guess I had an inkling at the time that it was important:
Additionally, in the same interview, Hashino mentions how a 2014 game that particularly impressed him was inFamous: Second Son for the PS4, as it had several moral choices between good and bad that engage the player.

Three 2014 entertainment releases other than video games which Hashino enjoyed were Japanese films: Gatchaman, Kikaider Reboot and Lupin the Third.
It was there all along.

Sophia

You're all off the hook on Danganronpa:

cqwng0bw8aenwvwt5ydz.jpg

(I've only had the games about eight hours. >_>)

Oh wow, I was just made aware of something that Hashino said about Persona 5 last year, before we ever saw PV01 on February 5, 2015. Other sites glossed over it, but I guess I had an inkling at the time that it was important:

It was there all along.

The mention of Gatchaman is rather curious and kind of interesting. Especially with it being one of the two sources for Phoenix Ranger Featherman.

(The other of which was the Super Sentai series Jetman, which was also based off Gatchaman.)

Sophia

Maybe not that sexy like the image , more tomboy like someone point out.

But i will surprised too if Atlus dont give us another mascot waifu like Aigis or
Alice Teddie

I mean, i wouldn't mind another Aigis

It would have to feel unique to not feel shoehorned in though. That's what i love about Aigis. I was already surprised with Labrys, but i don't think it can happen a third time, unfortunately

daevious

Hmm.... not to derail this thread too much, but (minor DR1 spoilers) do you really think it'll take that long?

LENGTH SPOILERS
There's only six chapters total and the last one is basically half the length of a normal chapter, so you'll be done soon enough unless you intend to take on School Mode (Which is only recommended if you really want to see all the free time events). I guess it's more accurate to say you'll have it finished within the week instead.

(In Chinese) will never not be hilarious.

Sophia

I apologize for being off-topic again, but I just want to say a few things.

Firstly, Happy (late?) birthday Vox!!!!

Secondly...

Apparently this is faster than the average....? Anyhow, and now for something on-topic...

Looks like Katsuya's persona, Helios I think.

And eeh, I'd rather not have another meta-morphing mascot in this game.

With how many Persona 2 inspired elements in Persona 5, saying it looks a bit like Helios isn't much of a stretch, actually.

DNAbro

I apologize for being off-topic again, but I just want to say a few things.

Firstly, Happy (late?) birthday Vox!!!!

Secondly...

Apparently this is faster than the average....? Anyhow, and now for something on-topic...

With how many Persona 2 inspired elements in Persona 5, saying it looks a bit like Helios isn't much of a stretch, actually.

20 hours is about right

Random recommendation, but if you guys like good RPGs( which i know you do cause you are here) you should buy Undertale. One of the most enjoyable experiences I've had with a game and currently my GOTY.

JCX

Just got past the
Inaba Tennis camp
scenes in P3P FeMC. Without specifics, do they ever address
Why the P3 gang can use personas anywhere but P4 only can in the TV world? I don't remember P4 group ever using them outside the TV.

Just got past the
Inaba Tennis camp
scenes in P3P FeMC. Without specifics, do they ever address
Why the P3 gang can use personas anywhere but P4 only can in the TV world? I don't remember P4 group ever using them outside the TV.

Evokers? I don't think they say exactly.

FluxWaveZ

Evokers?

It's not the method because the Persona 1 and Persona 2 casts use their Personas in the real world.

It's mainly because the P4 gang suck. If there were to be a functional reason for it, I guess it'd have to be because P4's fighting never happens in the real world, or in a counter-part to the real world. For a fictional reason, I guess it'd be a similar reason and because they awoke to their Personas in a separate dimension.

I partially agree with Flux here.

I believe that the 'other world' is where Shadows and Personas can actually take form, but the scientists in P3 devised a way to "evoke" them in the real world.

I think?

FluxWaveZ

I partially agree with Flux here.

I believe that the 'other world' is where Shadows and Personas can actually take form, but the scientists in P3 devised a way to "evoke" them in the real world.

I think?

But... Persona 1 and Persona 2? And that's wrong, since Persona 4 Arena straight up shows the Persona 3 cast summoning their Personas in the real world without an evoker, with an explanation as to how they could always do that and everything.

squadr0n

Im going back through Persona 4 Arena Ultimax to get 100% on both sides. Does anyone here remember off the top of their heads which episodes are the ones with the dialog choices before the end?

Im going back through Persona 4 Arena Ultimax to get 100% on both sides. Does anyone here remember off the top of their heads which episodes are the ones with the dialog choices before the end?

It's just the one before the fight with Kagutsuchi. I think that's the only choice which has any impact on 100%.

Setsu00

But... Persona 1 and Persona 2? And that's wrong, since Persona 4 Arena straight up shows the Persona 3 cast summoning their Personas in the real world without an evoker, with an explanation as to how they could always do that and everything.

I believe it was explained somewhere in Arena that Evokers only make it easier to summon a Persona and while it's possible to someone one in the real world, it's a lot harder to do so. The TV world, however, is connected to the Collective Unconscious and that is why the characters don't need Evokers in P4 and Arena.

I know how much almost everyone here hates the Naoto novel, but it also reiterates that Naoto couldn't use any of her Personas before Amatsu-Mikaboshi (the one she gains in the novel) in the real world. She even compares it to Mitsuru's Persona IIRC. That possibly means that there are various kinds of Personas that can be summoned under different circumstances. It'll be interesting to see how P5 handles this.

P5 will be interesting seeing as
it looks as if the supernatural impact on the real world is much heavier than it was in 3 or 4. We've seen the MC in his thief attire outside of the Palace at the very least, and that seems to be somewhat tied to his Persona.

FluxWaveZ

The TV world, however, is connected to the Collective Unconscious and that is why the characters don't need Evokers in P4 and Arena.

I feel like I'm the only one who is taking into account P1 and P2. Awakening through the "Persona game" didn't need any Collective Unconscious to ease the summoning of Personas in the real world, in those games.

There are certainly various kinds of Personas that can be summoned under different circumstances, as shown through the different ways the characters have awakened to them throughout the series and the expanded explanations in the spin-off games. I don't acknowledge the Naoto novel, just like I don't acknowledge Trinity Soul.

Setsu00

P5 will be interesting seeing as
it looks as if the supernatural impact on the real world is much heavier than it was in 3 or 4. We've seen the MC in his thief attire outside of the Palace at the very least, and that seems to be somewhat tied to his Persona.

I think it's pretty much confirmed at this point that the thief costumes are a result of their Persona abilities. You can even see how Yusuke transforms in the latest trailer.

I feel like I'm the only one who is taking into account P1 and P2. Awakening through the "Persona game" didn't need any Collective Unconscious to ease the summoning of Personas in the real world, in those games.

That's why I mentioned the different kinds of Personas that are basically implied in the series. Those from P1 and P2 were pretty much the result of Philemon's intervention, while those from P3 and P4 had different origins.

Sophia

To be exact. The explanation provided by Mitsuru is that with practice and concentration she could. Also that, unlike most other members of the P3 cast, she did not have an Evoker the day of her first summoning either. Likewise, Koromaru and
the protagonist technically
also summon theirs without an Evoker the first time too, even if they use one later.

The implication of this, of course, is that the Persona 4 cast could do so as well. Just like how the Persona 1 and Persona 2 characters could. The Evokers are basically a cheating tool that allows people with the potential to skip the practice and concentration part. :p

FluxWaveZ

The implication of this, of course, is that the Persona 4 cast could do so as well. Just like how the Persona 1 and Persona 2 characters could. The Evokers are basically a cheating tool that allows people with the potential to skip the practice and concentration part. :p

Nah, the Persona 4 cast straight up can't summon theirs in the real world. It was mentioned explicitly in P4A and P4AU, but they also reiterate that in P4D, though I only took this single screenshot of the conversation.

Sophia

Nah, the Persona 4 cast straight up can't summon theirs in the real world. It was mentioned explicitly in P4A and P4AU, but they also reiterate that in P4D, though I only took this single screenshot of the conversation.

Weird that they're the outliners of the entire franchise then. The rules of summoning Personas have been fairly consistent to some degree. One of the only exceptions has been them, with the other being the Wild Card being a slight retcon.

I remember them mentioning they couldn't in P4A/AU, which makes it curious as to how the P3 cast managed to do it in the same style as the P1/P2 cast. Even odder that Dancing All Night reinforces that.

I don't think there is anything guaranteeing that they can't, even if that is likely. They definitely said they can't, but that can always also mean that they just don't know how.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think there is anything guaranteeing that they can't, even if that is likely. They definitely said they can't, but that can always also mean that they just don't know how.

I'll take it to mean that they can't, because that's obviously what the creators intended to convey in P4, P4A, P4AU, PQ and P4D (which all mention how P4 can't summon in the real world). Anything can turn into anything if we want to wildly speculate without evidence.

Realistically, I think the decision was made not just because "P4's fighting never happens in the real world, or in a counter-part to the real world," but also so that they wouldn't run into any weird situations where a real world problem could be solved by "summoning a Persona." There were some weird dissonant moments in Persona 3, like when
Yukari was confronted by thugs or when Yukari, P3MC and Junpei are before being rescued by Shinji.
When that happened, I'm sure most people were thinking, "Wait, you guys deal with Tartarus and crazy monsters. How is this a big deal?" I'm guessing they didn't want that kind of stuff to pop up.

Plus, Persona 4's cast lacks the discipline of Persona 3's. I'm guessing if they could, the Investigation Team would be summoning their Personas all over Inaba to do dumb crap, just like how certain Persona 2 characters would.

How Persona 5 handles this will definitely be interesting. I'm guessing that how they use their Personas will be more important and fundamental to their interactions with the real world than they have been in previous games.

Plus, Persona 4's cast lacks the discipline of Persona 3's. I'm guessing if they could, the Investigation Team would be summoning their Personas all over Inaba to do dumb crap, just like how certain Persona 2 characters would.

How Persona 5 handles this will definitely be interesting. I'm guessing that how they use their Personas will be more important and fundamental to their interactions with the real world than they have been in previous games.

When you put it like that, I can easily see the Persona 5 cast being pretty irresponsible with using their Personas, if they can use them in the real world.

Zolo

Well, part of the Persona 1 cast straight up used their personas to get the edge like Toro using his to improve sales and Nanjo using his own for.....whatever improvements I forgot.

That their thief outfits
are a result of their Personas more or less confirms to me that they can summon in the real world. At that point, you can argue that the costumes themselves--but especially the masks--are their Personas (or a closely related phenomenon), because the masks vanish as their Personas appear and reappear as their Personas vanish, and the masks clearly exist in the real world, as do the costumes.

You know how superhero stories like to play up the "your secret alter-ego is your real identity" dilemma? That's this game, except with Persona-sourced costumes it's even more literal. Literally wearing their real identities.

I am very curious to see where it all goes.

Meia

First, Undertale is amazing and if you loved games like Earthbound and haven't played it yet, for shame. :p

Two, in terms of the P4 cast summoning, it could be argued that
proof of not being able to naturally is the one part of the game Naoto is being chased by shadows in the real world(don't catch Adachi in time) and she can't summon in that circumstance I guess.
Of course, the P3 cast can't either(for the most part) without a tool, so it's not impossible to think if Mitsuru gave them Evokers they couldn't either, but probably not something that'll ever come up.

I'm sure when P5 comes out it will add even more wrinkles to this whole thing. :p

Top Bottom