• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

N° 2048

27 hours into Persona 4 and I can finally start making Rise my waifu. Took damn long enough for her Social Link to open up.

Also is going back to Persona 3 after 4 ok? Dates well?

27 hours into Persona 4 and I can finally start making Rise my waifu. Took damn long enough for her Social Link to open up.

Also is going back to Persona 3 after 4 ok? Dates well?

Other than the battle mechanics (unless you're playing P3P), its pretty much exactly the same gameplay wise as P4.

Story is great too, so you should definitely play it.

Which is recommended, FES or P3P?

It begins again

*Basically, FES has
+ better graphics/atmosphere
+ animated cutscenes
- slightly dated gameplay

Portable has
+ improved gameplay
+ female protagonist with better social links
- very scaled back presentation, everything is a 2D visual novel outside of dungeons

It's debatable which is better, so pick whichever sounds more appealing to you.

I think we need a post linked to the original post that details all the pros and cons of FES and P3P, so we can link that up every time we have someone who wants to know the differences

Either that or i send angry emails to Hardin weekly asking him to bug Atlus to make a definitive version (i'm only joking...or am i?)

portable seems worth it, just because AI doesn't control your teammates.. they are MORONS in FES. also i heard there are skill cards in p3p... which unless you love maybe .. HOURS of trying get your personas to inherit the right skills... a plus.

kama

Ok, I need some help here. It's been years since I last bought anime on physical media and back in the happy days of DVD we (Europe) used to share a region code with Japan. Now in the age of Bluray: not so much.

I missed the US release of the first Persona 3 movie when that was first released and since it seems to be sold out I'm considering getting the Japanese release. As I understand it it has become somewhat common practice for Japanese companies to release their domestic versions region free and with English subtitles. Is this the case with the Persona 3 movies?

On play-asia it's listed as Region A:
http://www.play-asia.com/persona-3-the-movie-1-spring-of-birth-blu-raycd-limited-edition/13/707iy5

Other places say it's region free, but then again I'm not entirely sure they aren't refering to the US release.

Can someone clarify this for me?

Ok, I need some help here. It's been years since I last bought anime on physical media and back in the happy days of DVD we (Europe) used to share a region code with Japan. Now in the age of Bluray: not so much.

I missed the US release of the first Persona 3 movie when that was first released and since it seems to be sold out I'm considering getting the Japanese release. As I understand it it has become somewhat common practice for Japanese companies to release their domestic versions region free and with English subtitles. Is this the case with the Persona 3 movies?

On play-asia it's listed as Region A:
http://www.play-asia.com/persona-3-the-movie-1-spring-of-birth-blu-raycd-limited-edition/13/707iy5

Other places say it's region free, but then again I'm not entirely sure they aren't refering to the US release.

Can someone clarify this for me?

Yes, the Persona 3 movies are region free and come with English subs. I'm in the UK, and they work perfectly fine for me.

Also, on the difference in presentation and overworlds between P3 and P3P:

Persona 3:
25-Persona3-45-074.jpg

Persona 3 Portable:

Persona 3:

Persona 3 Portable:

Persona 3:

Persona 3 Portable:

Persona 3:

Persona 3 Portable:

portable seems worth it, just because AI doesn't control your teammates.. they are MORONS in FES. also i heard there are skill cards in p3p... which unless you love maybe .. HOURS of trying get your personas to inherit the right skills... a plus.

Are you using tactics? Always use tactics, do not rely on free control 100% of the time.

Jachaos

I'll make a video comparison some day to better answer this recurring question. I'll get a few seconds of the intro/animated cutscenes, combat visual and gameplay differences, overworld, dungeons, social links, plot progression, female/male differences and more.

I'll make a video comparison some day to better answer this recurring question. I'll get a few seconds of the intro/animated cutscenes, combat visual and gameplay differences, overworld, dungeons, social links, plot progression, female/male differences and more.

Nice, looking forward to it.

That'd be very handy.

I'm kinda let down by the extended P4D soundtrack. Most of the long mixes don't have anything substantial added to them. Some are even a little worse.

edit: nvm the extended mix of Heaven has redeemed it

edit: nvm the extended mix of Heaven has redeemed it

I love hearing the long version of Dance! as well as Backside of the TV, but the Heaven remix is what's worth the cost of the album itself.

It's my favorite track to put on repeat while driving, just because is so damn good.

Everyone streaming on Twitch is ALWAYS playing the shit songs.
I can't wait till this game is released state side so I can see what *I* want to see.

So I'm thinking of doing something crazy again because my carnal lust for Persona 5 wills it.

I'm currently saving up for my next trip to Japan - most likely for an as-of-yet-determined concert containing Persona 5 music, much like I did for Persona Super Live.

If anyone else is planning on doing something similar, I would definitely be up for a PersonaGAF meetup there - although it's still several months off, if it is even going to happen, so planning something like this may be entirely moot until an actual concert is announced. On the off-chance there won't be any concerts whatsoever, I'll just find another excuse to save up for another trip to Japan.

So I'm thinking of doing something crazy again because my carnal lust for Persona 5 wills it.

I'm currently saving up for my next trip to Japan - most likely for an as-of-yet-determined concert containing Persona 5 music, much like I did for Persona Super Live.

If anyone else is planning on doing something similar, I would definitely be up for a PersonaGAF meetup there - although it's still several months off, if it is even going to happen, so planning something like this may be entirely moot until an actual concert is announced. On the off-chance there won't be any concerts whatsoever, I'll just find another excuse to save up for another trip to Japan.

I'd be up for this - assuming the timing works for me.

In the past year I've gotten 3 of my 4 closest friends into Persona, with the last one planning to buy it when it goes on sale next. We also happen to REALLY want to go to Japan together, and are saving for it. (+ Waiting for the Canadian dollar to stop dying)

Because of these two facts, personally, I think having a PersonaGAF meeting sometimes in the next two years sounds like fun.

XM1049

Neo Member
After 90 hours I finally got the true ending for Persona 4 on PS2, what a ride. Worst bits was getting KOed a few times by random enemies and losing 1-2 hours of progress in the beginning which really frustrated me and nearly made me give up on this game, but I'm glad I stuck through till the very end.

Really gonna miss all the characters and I hope they cameo in P5. Gonna wait a few weeks before starting FES to avoid burning out

Jachaos

After 90 hours I finally got the true ending for Persona 4 on PS2, what a ride. Worst bits was getting KOed a few times by random enemies and losing 1-2 hours of progress in the beginning which really frustrated me and nearly made me give up on this game, but I'm glad I stuck through till the very end.

Really gonna miss all the characters and I hope they cameo in P5. Gonna wait a few weeks before starting FES to avoid burning out

See I'm glad P4 Golden let you restart at the beginning of the floor instead of losing hours of progress due to a fluke. Was rough playing P3FES without having been used to that. You should watch some of the extra P4 Golden content sometime, particularly the epilogue.

Nice, looking forward to it.

That'd be very handy.

So I've quickly thrown together the P3 FES/P3P comparison video. It's getting late so I'll get back to it and fix the ending and try to pace things better but for now that's generally what it should be.

Shun

I hope Philemon plays a bigger, more apparent role than just observe as a butterfly in Persona 5.

I also wonder what kind of alternate theme we will get for the Velvet Room since Persona 3 gave us Blues in the Velvet Room, Persona 4 gave us Electronica in the Velvet Room, and Persona 4 Dancing gave us Disco in the Velvet Room.

I also wonder what kind of alternate theme we will get for the Velvet Room since Persona 3 gave us Blues in the Velvet Room, Persona 4 gave us Electronica in the Velvet Room, and Persona 4 Dancing gave us Disco in the Velvet Room.

Oh, you're talking about the musical variation of "Aria of the Soul". I could see it going classic James Bond theme song style, myself.

Makio

Is funny how Kanamin was given the 2 robochicks colours (Labyrs and Metis).

I dont have words to say how much i love this set , i love all of them so much

Not fan of the Nanako and Teddie one ... but i love the references in there.

(Kinda sad Elly from Persona 1 didnt make it , but Yosuke as Brown and Rise as Yuka looks amazing , mostly Rise).

Weiss

Banned
So who's Yosuke supposed to be? Is it just a St. Hermelin uniform?

Also, Teddie. I don't recognize the outfit.

The only thing I want from the US/EU release of DAN is that all the DLC be released at once.

I dont want the DLC which is already all out in Japan to be staggered over several months.

But, I know this is likely to happen in order to improve retention of the game over here.

I know it's dumb, but I'd rather drop an extra £40 on DLC all at once rather than £5 a week for the next 2-3 months.

Dantis

I really like those recolours, but I kind of think they should have just gone the whole hog and made entire crossover outfits. Some of them are really close as it is.

I mean, would it have killed them to make Kanji's jacket a bit longer? To give Naoto a skirt? To give Rise a tie?

Almost seems weird not to do those things, really.

Xenoflare

I really like those recolours, but I kind of think they should have just gone the whole hog and made entire crossover outfits. Some of them are really close as it is.

I mean, would it have killed them to make Kanji's jacket a bit longer? To give Naoto a skirt? To give Rise a tie?

Almost seems weird not to do those things, really.

Yeah, it made sense in games like Ultimax since a small alteration would require sprite redraws but it doesn't make much sense for DAN since the characters are cel-shaded models.

Oh and hey it's OT8.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, it made sense in games like Ultimax since a small alteration would require sprite redraws but it doesn't make much sense for DAN since the characters are cel-shaded models.

It's because they're giving these for free, and many were made within the span of only 2-3 weeks based on fan requests.

So I've quickly thrown together the P3 FES/P3P comparison video. It's getting late so I'll get back to it and fix the ending and try to pace things better but for now that's generally what it should be.

Thank you very much - looking forward to the V2. If you could add videos for the last few messages, that'd be great.

Personally I think P3P vs. FES is a moot argument. One has an entirely new character option with new social links, cameos, gameplay improvements, and music (P3P); while the other has 3D environments, animation, and an epilogue portion (The Answer; 80% Gameplay, 20% Story, in FES) I think both have their strong points, and both are equally good for beginners. P3P is easier to play and is portable, FES looks nicer in places and is locked to a PS2 or PS3.

It really depends on the person, their console, and their preferences. (Until we get Persona 3 Platinum which has the best of both.)

i play P3FES at the moment, and i'm tired of it.

I'm in January, 244 floor in tartarus. My party level is around 66.

Honestly, i don't have the strength to go on.
I should level up, fuse personas etc but the idea of spending more time in this fucking dungeon is unbearable. I didn't do every side quests (far from it), i don't care about half the cast...

Should i keep playing (interesting last fight(s)? cool stuff at the end? plot twist?) or watch the ending on youtube and move on to P4?

Sophia

I should level up, fuse personas etc but the idea of spending more time in this fucking dungeon is unbearable. I didn't do every side quests (far from it), i don't care about half the cast...

Should i keep playing (interesting last fight(s)? cool stuff at the end? plot twist?) or watch the ending on youtube and move on to P4?

You are literally at the end of the game. Don't give up now; you'll feel cheated if you watch the ending online. Keep at it!

You've got two fights with Strega left and the awesome final boss battle. As well as a number of plot twists.

January? You're extremely close to finishing the game. It's definitely worth it to keep going

I suppose you wouldn't care much for playing The Answer then, huh............

But yeah, you're deffo way too close to the end to give up now.

Jachaos

Considering you've finished about 95% of the game and that you've gone through almost all of Tartarus already... keep at it. You're almost at the end and yes to the bolded. Much of what you find exhausting is the dated stuff but you're just about done with that. I'm talking about stuff like Tartarus (a single dungeon vs multiple dungeons differing in styles of aesthetic and music in P4) and not having S. Links with all the party members (unlike P3P and P4) for example. If there's one thing you should watch on Youtube, after completing the game, it's the cutscenes for The Answer (the epilogue which is more and more dungeon crawling, a no go at this point for you).

Top Bottom