• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

JCX

I gotta thank SMT IV for convincing me to give P4G another chance. Liked press turn system, then jumped to P4G because it was more fun. Those early SMT IV bosses are tough, but once you have a team with skills that hit their weaknesses, you'll steamroll then.

Still haven't finished SMT IV though, tried it again but dropped it for P3P.

I gotta thank SMT IV for convincing me to give P4G another chance. Liked press turn system, then jumped to P4G because it was more fun. Those early SMT IV bosses are tough, but once you have a team with skills that hit their weaknesses, you'll steamroll then.

Still haven't finished SMT IV though, tried it again but dropped it for P3P.

Once you get past a certain point in SMT4, you can bust it wide open and have a blast.
Admittedly, for me that was after I got the White ending for easy NG+.
I'll never forget the encounter that got me to lvl. 99 ;_;

so how much longer with these avatars?

I think it's either the next time a trailer comes out or till we feel like it.
I'm just stuck with this cause I can't find a distinct D in the games I've played.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I didn't really pick up the proper learning curve with SMT IV because one of my demon recruits had a spell change to megido fairly early on (spoiler)
shortly after getting to Tokyo
. I whispered it to Flynn and then spent the rest of the game stomping most demon encounters in a turn or two. I knew it was going to end up like that but I couldn't help myself.

If you can get Flynn to hold all elemental magic types and drain/mana drain you're pretty much set. IIRC you can get drain from Churel, who you can get at around level 30 or so.

SMT4's difficulty curve is awkward because it is absolutely brutal at the beginning but soon becomes a cakewalk. Like, Medusa seems tough as heck, but you can literally get... Raiju (level up a Gremlin), I think? And she literally can't deal damage to it because it's immune to everything she's got.

Anyway, SMT4F seems to be tackling the "Every demon ends up having the same skills" problem by giving demons skill affinities. Mermaid, for example, is great with Ice (+3), good with Force/Ailments/Healing/Support (+1), bad with Phys (-2) and awful with Lightning (-4). I assume this'll be like when the main character levels his skills up (+1, +4, etc), so higher affinity means cheaper MP cost/more damage/healing/whatever, and lower affinity means more expensive and less damage.

I can't wait to see what Persona 5's plan for it is.

Sophia

Anyway, SMT4F seems to be tackling the "Every demon ends up having the same skills" problem by giving demons skill affinities. Mermaid, for example, is great with Ice (+3), good with Force/Ailments/Healing/Support (+1), bad with Phys (-2) and awful with Lightning (-4). I assume this'll be like when the main character levels his skills up (+1, +4, etc), so higher affinity means cheaper MP cost/more damage/healing/whatever, and lower affinity means more expensive and less damage.

Did they say how they were handling the main character's affinities? Maybe that's modified at the demon at the time of a whisper?

VegiHam

Medusa is weak to Zan. Pixie should already have that skill. You should try to get Zan onto your protag and fill your party with demons capable of using Zan. Medusa uses gun and electric attacks, so try not to have too many demons with weakness to those as she'll easily rack up turns. I think at that point in the game you also have access to Sukukaja/Tarukaja/Rakukaja (and maybe Rakunda/Tarunda/Sukunda? don't remember too well). Buffs and debuffs are essential. Also try to get Media.

I'm not really sure how you're having trouble fusion though lol. If you have played Persona 4 Golden or Devil Survivor, it's very similar in that you can search and see all the possible demons you can make through fusion, or you can manually select demons and fuse them together. You can also choose which skills the resulting demon inherits. I remember SMT IV having a lot of ways to filter your searches for demon fusing, so you might have to mess around in the menu for a minute.

I find that with negotiation, denying the demon what they want or "end negotiations" works a lot of the time. It sucks when you mess up a negotiation and you get killed, but that's just how it goes, especially in the beginning. As far as getting the demons you want to recruit to show up, you'll just have to deal with encounters until you find the one you want.

The beginning of the game is definitely the toughest part, but the difficulty starts to drop off pretty fast, like others have said above.

Ganbatte.

Well, Dreamcast nailed the rest of the stuff, so let me clarify on this. Generally, demons have one of two types of events that'll happen. One is a question. The answer to this is based off their personality, so there's an element of luck unless you REALLY know your demons well. But you can get a general idea of what to answer based upon the demon. The other is a request for something. Usually, after two or three events, you'll get the option to stop negotiating with that demon via an option called "End Talks." For many demons, this will usually get them to join you. Some demons will join you right after the first question if you luck out/correctly select the right answer tho.

In general, just know when to stop negotiating with a demon. If you don't end the talk, you'll have a much harder time convincing them to join. Also, another reason why you want to recruit as many demons as possible is because negotiating with a demon that's already in your party has many benefits. You could be healed HP/SP, you could get an item, or money, etc. In all cases, it'll also end the battle immediately which is a FANTASTIC way to not get slaughtered if you run into a bad scenario.

Guys, I did it! Thank you both, and everyone else, so much for all the help! In the end I fused my Pixie, who had Zan, with a guy that Zan enhancing skills to make a Zan machine she could barely hurt and after a bit of training I got her! 'End Negotiation' really did seem to be the trick I was missing. Might stick with this game a bit longer now.

Did they say how they were handling the main character's affinities? Maybe that's modified at the demon at the time of a whisper?

I think he just has neutral affinity with everything, and levels skills up like in SMT4. Which, on one hand, means he has the potential to be more powerful, but on the other means he has to work more for it than the demons who come in with default +3 to phys or whatever.

Here's the video of the Medusa battle they showed. When they start showing the demon status, you can see their affinities listed under the stat spread (and can see it reflected on their skill lists).

Weiss

Banned
SMT4's difficulty curve is awkward because it is absolutely brutal at the beginning but soon becomes a cakewalk. Like, Medusa seems tough as heck, but you can literally get... Raiju (level up a Gremlin), I think? And she literally can't deal damage to it because it's immune to everything she's got.

That sounds awesome. The most disappointing thing about SMT4's huge amount of demons was that they all felt pretty interchangeable after a while.

PK Gaming

That sounds really awesome actually, can't wait to see how that plays out.

Guys, I did it! Thank you both, and everyone else, so much for all the help! In the end I fused my Pixie, who had Zan, with a guy that Zan enhancing skills to make a Zan machine she could barely hurt and after a bit of training I got her! 'End Negotiation' really did seem to be the trick I was missing. Might stick with this game a bit longer now.

commie-persona-4-23-e7f55519-mkv_snapshot_22-00_2012-03-17_10-28-58_zps62967a11.jpg

Nice!

There'll still be some rough spots, but the hardest part of the game is behind you now.

:D

Did you match your Avatar on purpose?

Well, today I've been wondering around Tokyo, and working out where to go and where anything is is way harder than that boss was...

When you can, invest in a multi-target physical technique. Great way to blast away random encounters later on.

Apparently this is faster than the average....?

I got encouraged to play too, and i also remembered my friend madfe me borrow his cartridge and told me to play it like 6+ months ago, and seeing others reactions finally got me to start it. Let's just say i've been hooked, and it's been one hell of a ride

On other topic: Just heard Rise's JP VA. This is one of the few cases I can absolutely say the English VA is better.

My personal preferences

Persona 3 - Japanese VA

Persona 4 - English VA

Makio

Persona 3 - Japanese VA

I kinda relate with that , as much i love Persona 3 english cast , is like nothing special. I mean Michelle Ruff and Vic Mignogna are great as Yukari and Junpei but besides that is just great actors been regular in those roles
Tara Platt as Mitsuru or Liam Brien as Akihiko are generic as fuck.
Fuuka and Ken thanks god get change in the spinoffs
Karen Strassman as Aigis gets better in the Answer / later games but her performance in the original P3 is lacking and stiff. (Yeah i know she change her voice in The answer because spoilers ... but still).

Compare to the great Persona 3 japanese cast they got beaten for sure in some cases.
(Still prefer english Yukari / Junpei over the Japanese ones).

Persona 4 english cast have better deliver in my opinion or at least more "recognizable" tone or performance.

The menus and presentation in Dancing All Night confirms what I already knew: no one does menus/ui like the Persona team.

Side note: Just got my Persona 4 platinum at 135 hours! The books and skill cards made me go back a third time.

I kinda relate with that , as much i love Persona 3 english cast , is like nothing special. I mean Michelle Ruff and Vic Mignogna are great as Yukari and Junpei but besides that is just great actors been regular in those roles
Tara Platt as Mitsuru or Liam Brien as Akihiko are generic as fuck.
Fuuka and Ken thanks god get change in the spinoffs
Karen Strassman as Aigis gets better in the Answer / later games but her performance in the original P3 is lacking and stiff. (Yeah i know she change her voice in The answer because spoilers ... but still).

Compare to the great Persona 3 japanese cast they got beaten for sure in some cases.
(Still prefer english Yukari / Junpei over the Japanese ones).

Persona 4 english cast have better deliver in my opinion or at least more "recognizable" tone or performance.

Karen Strassman was great as Aigis. Shame she went back to being robotic for the spinoffs. Even the ones where she really shouldn't be. :/

JP Teddie and Rise make it a no-contest for the ENG P4 cast.

Sophia

Karen Strassman was great as Aigis. Shame she went back to being robotic for the spinoffs. Even the ones where she really shouldn't be. :/

As great as Karen was as Aigis, sadly the Japanese voice actress for Aigis is no other than Maaya Sakamoto. Which automatically puts her up on a pedestal. Her performance as Aigis is awesome. <3

Makio

Thoughts on Japanese Yosuke?

Better than Lowenthal for sure in my book , well since i not fan of Lowenthal at all with some exceptions like P3MC in Persona Q.

Gotta give credit to make those voices so different for that game (P3MC vs Yosuke).

(Aki VA is great in Catherine for sure... in Persona 3 and spinoff meh).

VegiHam

I don't even remember what the Japanese voices sound like for this franchise. I know they annoyed me in P4D trailers, and that I much prefer having the game in a language I speak though.

I only heard the JP voices in the Golden Animation, and I thought they were alright. I definitely prefer the English cast, though. It's probably the best voice acting I've ever heard.

FluxWaveZ

The end of the year is actually fairly close now, so I thought I'd make a new poll: Poll #011: Will there be any new Persona 5 information before 2016?

Anything at all that's already been stated before does not count. Screenshots or art do not count if they're something we've seen before, but just in a higher resolution. A public release of PV#02 would not count. An English trailer of PV#03 would only count if it was dubbed (hence, new information on VAs). Basically, it has to be new with no buts.

Also, determining this community's capability of predicting the future:

Poll #003: Will Famitsu Issue August 7 [2014] have Persona 4 Dancing? - Won (70%)
Poll #004: The September 1st SCEJ conference [2014] will show off... - Lost (83%)
Poll #005: Will Persona 5 resurface in any way at or around the PlayStation Experience event [2014]? - Won (52%)
Poll #006: Will Persona 5 get new, significant information before February 5th, 2015? - Won (68%)
Poll #007: Will Persona 5's release date be announced on February 5th? - Lost (73%)
Poll #008: When will Persona 5's Exact, Japanese Release Date be Announced? - Lost (95%)
Poll #009: Will anything new happen at all concerning Persona 5 on May 5, 2015? - Lost (59%)
Poll #010: Will Persona 5 get ANY new media before the SCEJ 2015 conference? - Lost (64%)
Poll #010.5: #InHardinWeTrust vs. #TeamRuin - Lost (83%)

I don't even remember what Poll #001 and Poll #002 were. Trying to look back and find them but I can't.

Anyways, more devastating losses than wins, especially now with a 5-loss streak.

The end of the year is actually fairly close now, so I thought I'd make a new poll: Poll #011: Will there be any new Persona 5 information before 2016?

Anyways, more devastating losses than wins, especially now with a 5-loss streak.

Where the option for yes + another Persona game for that maximun optimism? :p

Still voted yes though, roughly two and a half months is a big window and even a tiny bit of news counts. Maybe we're in for another drought though and we'll see actual information a few months befire release.

You can trust me on this, just look at my avatar, I'm an expert.

I don't expect anything major before 2016, especially with Odin Sphere and SMT IV Final for them to focus on now, but it's still a decent window, so I don't think it's unthinkable that we might get something in that time, although it will probably only be minor.

Would you count a slightly narrower NA date ie. "Summer 2016", or vague dev quotes such as "development is proceeding smoothly" as new news?

There's still a Persona Magazine technically due later this year too.

MSMrRound

Whatever it is, it's going to be pretty hard (IMO) for AtlusUSA to match Persona 5's list of Japanese voice cast.

It's basically an all-star ensemble.

Almost all of the main cast so far had iconic roles in pop culture.

P5MC (Lelouch from Code Geass)
Ann (Fate Testarossa from Nanoha series or Hinata from Naruto for those not familiar with Nanoha)
Ryuji (Okabe Rintaro aka the mad scientist from Steins Gate)
Morgana (THE Pikachu from Pokemon, or the lovable reindeer Tony Tony Chopper from One Piece).
Yusuke (Oh come on, it's SUGITA! Gintoki Sakata from Gintama, Chrom from Fire Emblem, Gundham Tanaka from Danganronpa 2 and so on and so forth).

The rest of the supporting cast sent chills up my spine, including some of my favourites e.g Aoi Yuuki (Madoka), Jouji Nakata (Nyanta from Log Horizon/ Kirei Kotomine from Fate/Zero or the Fate/Stay Night series)

FluxWaveZ

Would you count a slightly narrower NA date ie. "Summer 2016", or vague dev quotes such as "development is proceeding smoothly" as new news?

There's still a Persona Magazine technically due later this year too.

Hell no those wouldn't count. It has to be something meaningful at this point. I consider those to be pretty much empty words now, and the same goes for a narrower NA release date. Exact date? Sure, that would count. Anything else, nope.

Oftentimes in the last page of the Persona Magazine issues, they would list the release window for the next issue, but that wouldn't actually happen. I wouldn't be surprised if the Winter 2015 issue got pushed back; they wouldn't be able to include much in a new issue to drive sales.

Lunar15

I chose no. We will not learn any more before year's end. At best, we'll see Atlus USA's translated PV#03 at PSX and that's it. I still believe that, even despite the delay, Atlus doesn't want to say very much about this game until the points where it absolutely has to.

Atlus has to focus on the other games its selling at this point. It's got plenty to talk about with #FE and SMTIV:F right now.

Whatever it is, it's going to be pretty hard (IMO) for AtlusUSA to match Persona 5's list of Japanese voice cast.

It's basically an all-star ensemble.

Almost all of the main cast so far had iconic roles in pop culture.

P5MC (Lelouch from Code Geass)
Ann (Fate Testarossa from Nanoha series or Hinata from Naruto for those not familiar with Nanoha)
Ryuji (Okabe Rintaro aka the mad scientist from Steins Gate)
Morgana (THE Pikachu from Pokemon, or the lovable reindeer Tony Tony Chopper from One Piece).
Yusuke (Oh come on, it's SUGITA! Gintoki Sakata from Gintama, Chrom from Fire Emblem, Gundham Tanaka from Danganronpa 2 and so on and so forth).

The rest of the supporting cast sent chills up my spine, including some of my favourites e.g Aoi Yuuki (Madoka), Jouji Nakata (Nyanta from Log Horizon/ Kirei Kotomine from Fate/Zero or the Fate/Stay Night series)
but of all those I watched, I watched in english anyway. (J. Michael Tatum is such a good okabe)

Weiss

Banned
I'll err on the side of caution this time.

I'm ready to just tune out on P5 for the next six months. Least SMT4F will hold me over.

Karen Strassman as Aigis gets better in the Answer / later games but her performance in the original P3 is lacking and stiff. (Yeah i know she change her voice in The answer because spoilers ... but still)

I really like Karen's, but Maaya's voicework barely beats out Aigis' english voice

Top Bottom