• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Squire

Banned
That's a typo right? Surely you meant to say GTAIV
which is still fun but is a literal slideshow on PS3

I've already made my mind up that Persona 5 will squash P3 and P4.

No, I mean that Grand Theft Auto V, released in the summer of 2013, is an awful game.

Dantis

I have returned! You guys probably hadn't realised that I'd gone, but basically I'd lost my GAF password and couldn't be bothered to find it.

I started drawing again. Drew the Phantom:

tumblr_nwe2z18a401s602ggo1_r1_1280.png

Also drew Max from Life is Strange:

I upgraded my computer, which has let me use bigger canvases, as well as refining my brush settings. Who needs SAI? Pfft.

Lunar15

Dantis has returned. Now we can get into the real deep discussion.

What's the best kind of pop-tart and why does it make GTAIV a bad game?

JCX

Why does it seem like there's a big split between P1/P2 and P3/P4, is it just the change from PS1 to PS2? I'm close to finishing P3P so I want to try one of the older ones, but not if they are radically different.

Zolo

Why does it seem like there's a big split between P1/P2 and P3/P4, is it just the change from PS1 to PS2? I'm close to finishing P3P so I want to try one of the older ones, but not if they are radically different.
I'm pretty sure it was mostly a different team more than anything.

Setsu00

They are indeed incredibly different, but still worth playing if you ask me.

Persona 3 was the 4th installment.
Makes a lot more sense, considering how fun 4 is compared to FES.

Speak for yourself :p

No, I mean that Grand Theft Auto V, released in the summer of 2013, is an awful game.

Opinions

Because the style changed drastically.

Gecoma

Radically is a strong word, they're definitely recognizable as Persona games.

But no SL's, worse gameplay & some other stuff that hasn't aged well might make it hard to go back for some. (P3 alone is hard for me to go back to after P4 Golden)

The two P2's are really good, I'd say try them if you don't mind PS1 JRPG's.

1 is just a bad game nowadays & I wouldn't recommend going back unless you find you like P2 & really want more Persona.

Just my opinions & all that jazz.

It's because Katsura Hashino took over as director starting with Persona 3.

3/4 have a different vibe than the earlier games, but I can say that the Persona 2 games have a great story/cast that's worth putting up with the poorly-aged gameplay. I haven't played the original SMT: Persona though.

Verelios

It's because Katsura Hashino took over as director starting with Persona 3.

3/4 have a different vibe than the earlier games, but I can say that the Persona 2 games have a great story/cast that's worth putting up with the somewhat poorly-aged gameplay. I haven't played the original SMT: Persona though.

P2 has my favorite HS supporting cast (Lisa and Eikichi) who are genuinely great and show (Growth!) that they change over the course of events. Kind of like Junpei, but Junpei is the man anyway, top 10 Persona character, top 6 damage dealer, top 4, getting that LIFE.

Dantis

P1P is great. Brilliant soundtrack too. Miles better than the trash that was in the original.

The OST does change the feel of the game though. Makes the atmosphere more in line with the later games.

daevious

P1P is great. Brilliant soundtrack too. Miles better than the trash that was in the original.

I have to object to this, the soundtrack is the one thing about the original Persona that still holds up well. Yes it's completely out of line with the rest of the series, even Persona 2 doesn't sound similar to it, but I adore the dreamlike atmosphere it exudes, which can switch from ethereal (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GO8qjqoVWc) to nightmarish (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtG5SbzUeHk) without skipping a beat.

The remake's soundtrack isn't bad, but if there's anything that it can and should be criticised for it's the blatant music reuse going on because the remake soundtrack is noticeably smaller than the original one. This means that tracks like Kandori's theme are just completely gone and that's an absolute tragedy considering how important it is (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM3GuSmlRyc)

Like, I adore the originals soundtrack to the point that I wish that this remained the main theme of the series despite how great the Velvet Room theme is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8mM9co4UR8

DNAbro

I have to object to this, the soundtrack is the one thing about the original Persona that still holds up well. Yes it's completely out of line with the rest of the series, even Persona 2 doesn't sound similar to it, but I adore the dreamlike atmosphere it exudes, which can switch from ethereal (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GO8qjqoVWc) to nightmarish (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtG5SbzUeHk) without skipping a beat.

The remake's soundtrack isn't bad, but if there's anything that it can and should be criticised for it's the blatant music reuse going on because the remake soundtrack is noticeably smaller than the original one. This means that tracks like Kandori's theme are just completely gone and that's an absolute tragedy considering how important it is (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM3GuSmlRyc)

Like, I adore the originals soundtrack to the point that I wish that this remained the main theme of the series despite how great the Velvet Room theme is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8mM9co4UR8

tbh i didn't really like or hate any of those tracks you posted. Just kind of meh.

cj_iwakura

tbh i didn't really like or hate any of those tracks you posted. Just kind of meh.

Different strokes, the P1P OST neutered a four disc OST and removed character themes completely, i.e. Ayase's theme.

There's still no OST quite like P1's, aside from Devil Summoner 1's, little surprise since the composer is sadly deceased.

P1PSP's gameplay and translation with P1's OST would be the perfect game.

Sophia

The original PS1 soundtrack has higher highs and lower lows, where as the PSP soundtrack is more consistent in quality. I like both of them, to be honest.

Most of the character themes are pretty average tho. There's a few good ones like the previously linked Ayase and Maki's themes, but the rest are rather unremarkable.

I have returned! You guys probably hadn't realised that I'd gone, but basically I'd lost my GAF password and couldn't be bothered to find it.

I started drawing again. Drew the Phantom:

Also drew Max from Life is Strange:

I upgraded my computer, which has let me use bigger canvases, as well as refining my brush settings. Who needs SAI? Pfft.

These are very nice, congrats.

arue

Welcome back Dantis! Great drawings as always.
But SAI is the best!! I actually tried drawing with Photoshop and 0/10 would not try again.

Style

Banned
P1P is pretty great, and I'd recommend everyone to play through it. :|
The rearranged music for the re-release is pretty great too.

Top Bottom