• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Dugna

By the way, I'm curious to see what they'll say about Margaret's absence. In P4 we know why Elizabeth isn't in the Velvet Room. Maybe Margaret will have a reason as well?

Its not hard to imagine, I mean each velvet room so far has had different attendants that are usually specialized in only helping the current cast or MC, so Margaret being a special thing for only Yu would easily work.

They don't have to say anything about it really, it's already established that the Velvet Room is tailored to each specific guest, if they follow the same rules as P3/4. Although even then they might not.
Phantom sure doesn't seem to be there of his own free will at least, which is one major difference.

PK Gaming

hey, personaGAF!

it's been a good long while since i've posted here. i'm sure this has upset and distressed you all greatly! as we grow ever-closer to persona 5 being a real thing, i assure you that you'll be seeing more of me.

so maybe now you're thinking "oh this guy just totally checked out, hung up his persona and persona accessories, until he could opportunistically swoop back in as soon as the gettin's good!" and, well, you're maybe partially right! but i didn't check out at all. i've spent loads of time skulking around our strange and wonderful irc channel, which i endorse wholeheartedly, but moreover, have spent a ridiculous amount of time writing an essay about How Persona 4 Saved Video Games.

the long and short of it is that depression can make you not-enjoy the things you used to love, and that happened between me and video games over a period of years. it was not until 2013, when i played persona 4, that the spell was (partially) broken and i could enjoy things again. it is equal parts a love letter/endorsement of persona 4 and a personal tale about trying to self-manage depression.

incidentally, i endured two depressive episodes while writing it, so it's taken me literally months to write! so if it seems to fall apart midway through, that's because it kinda did. but it's also 10000 words long, so i've earned some of the time i spent on it, i hope. it is the most i've ever written on any one topic, even including the deluge of essays i had to write academically.

anyways, i'm posting it here for anybody to read-- whether you just love persona 4, or like to read other people's sob stories, or whatever your reason, i hope this essay finds you and finds you well. i will be more and more honored for everyone who reads it.

a glowing endorsement from our own main man, my good friend, PK Gaming: "goddamn, people need to read this."

http://heyguysvideogames.com/2015/10/25/persona-4-like-a-dream-come-true/

I can definitely vouch for this wickedly awesome essay on P4. Here's my favorite excerpt:

Again, there’s probably something stereotypically sad about finding joy in virtual video game friendships. I was too busy enjoying myself to worry too much about it. What I will say, in defense, is that these characters were written and drawn by real people. Isn’t that what art’s all about? The artist creates art in an attempt to communicate with an audience, to foster a mutual understanding, and to create and receive validation for and from the people who experience and are moved by that art. Any time you’ve been moved by a fictional friendship, you’ve experienced, in abstract, Persona 4. I am not convinced that the interactivity of the form is enough to turn this from art into something perverse. And with a game this good, who cares how sad you seem for enjoying it?

Yeah, definitely give it a read if you really enjoyed Persona 4.

Theodoricos

hey, personaGAF!

it's been a good long while since i've posted here. i'm sure this has upset and distressed you all greatly! as we grow ever-closer to persona 5 being a real thing, i assure you that you'll be seeing more of me.

so maybe now you're thinking "oh this guy just totally checked out, hung up his persona and persona accessories, until he could opportunistically swoop back in as soon as the gettin's good!" and, well, you're maybe partially right! but i didn't check out at all. i've spent loads of time skulking around our strange and wonderful irc channel, which i endorse wholeheartedly, but moreover, have spent a ridiculous amount of time writing an essay about How Persona 4 Saved Video Games.

the long and short of it is that depression can make you not-enjoy the things you used to love, and that happened between me and video games over a period of years. it was not until 2013, when i played persona 4, that the spell was (partially) broken and i could enjoy things again. it is equal parts a love letter/endorsement of persona 4 and a personal tale about trying to self-manage depression.

incidentally, i endured two depressive episodes while writing it, so it's taken me literally months to write! so if it seems to fall apart midway through, that's because it kinda did. but it's also 10000 words long, so i've earned some of the time i spent on it, i hope. it is the most i've ever written on any one topic, even including the deluge of essays i had to write academically.

anyways, i'm posting it here for anybody to read-- whether you just love persona 4, or like to read other people's sob stories, or whatever your reason, i hope this essay finds you and finds you well. i will be more and more honored for everyone who reads it.

a glowing endorsement from our own main man, my good friend, PK Gaming: "goddamn, people need to read this."

http://heyguysvideogames.com/2015/10/25/persona-4-like-a-dream-come-true/

Thank you so much for writing this. This is amazing and as someone who loves Persona 4 for many of the same reasons, reading through this has been a real treat. I'm glad that the game has helped you too in its own little way.

A P5 dynamic theme in the vein of all those slick menus would be the hottest shit ever.

You're promoted. Here's the key to my car. You've earned it.

bk05ufz.jpg

Sophia

Oh my god that new Persona 3 trailer O_O

Aigis.... Aigis....
why are you pointing your finger guns at your head?! AIGIS STAHP :<

daevious

Oh my god that new Persona 3 trailer O_O

Aigis.... Aigis....
why are you pointing your finger guns at your head?! AIGIS STAHP :<

Clearly she just felt left out of the evoker club and wanted to join in.

I'm curious to see if the film can somehow top the game in nailing that ending, because it's the most important part of Persona 3 and after that image I'll be really pissed if they somehow screw it up.

Sophia

Clearly she just felt left out of the evoker club and wanted to join in.

I'm curious to see if the film can somehow top the game in nailing that ending, because it's the most important part of Persona 3 and after that image I'll be really pissed if they somehow screw it up.

I think everyone agrees that the ending will determine how we look back at the anthology. If the finale is even remotely bad, it's going to retroactively reflect on the entire series. Lots of pressure for the team working on it. >_>;

In this sense, the 4th movie is perhaps the most important movie of the bunch. Even people who dislike Persona 3 will agree that it's ending is fantastic.

FluxWaveZ

In this sense, the 4th movie is perhaps the most important movie of the bunch. Even people who dislike Persona 3 will agree that it's ending is fantastic.

I don't know about that. We've had several discussions in this very community with people who very much disliked Persona 3's ending.

Sophia

I don't know about that. We've had several discussions in this very community with people who very much disliked Persona 3's ending.

True, guess there's always dissenting opinions. But in general, the final act + ending seemed to be highly liked as far as I could tell. Of course, it helps that the part before it is such a slog to play.

Please tell me who they are, Flux. I must invoke the Ritual of Stabbity Death on them. :|

True, guess there's always dissenting opinions. But in general, the final act + ending seemed to be highly liked as far as I could tell. Of course, it helps that the part before it is such a slog to play.

Please tell me who they are, Flux. I must invoke the Ritual of Stabbity Death on them. :|

So it begins... again.

Yes, I still think most would agree that Persona 3's ending was fantastic.

Page 48.

Hmm... *reads*

heheh... "Such theme"

FluxWaveZ

Yes, I still think most would agree that Persona 3's ending was fantastic.

Page 48.

arue

P3M #4
will be the death of me. I'm not ready to see the rooftop scene ;__;

They better include a scene of Pauwlonia Mall with all the Christmas lights.

What I don't understand is why Netflix has P3 Movie #2 but none of the other ones.

So I figured I might as well watch #2, but I haven't seen #1 or #3. ¯_(&#12484;)_/¯

I think everyone agrees that the ending will determine how we look back at the anthology. If the finale is even remotely bad, it's going to retroactively reflect on the entire series. Lots of pressure for the team working on it. >_>;

If the trailer reflects the quality, i think it's gonna be great. Just hoping the ending is just as much of an impact as the game

Hell, even PK likes it

Oh yeah, I remember that conversation. :|

Don't worry, it'll find it's way to come up again

P3M #4
will be the death of me. I'm not ready to see the rooftop scene ;__;

They better include a scene of Pauwlonia Mall with all the Christmas lights.

I really hope this makes it in too

So I found a good deal on SMT IV and decided to get it. I remember a few people giving tips for it in this thread a while back, but I can't find the page(s) they were in anymore. So either I was dreaming or I just can't find them for some reason. (I haven't looked at this thread since after my post about the P5 delay so I don't know how many new pages have been since then.)

So... does anyone have any tips for a SMT IV beginner?

So I found a good deal on SMT IV and decided to get it. I remember a few people giving tips for it in this thread a while back, but I can't find the page(s) they were in anymore. So either I was dreaming or I just can't find them for some reason. (I haven't looked at this thread since after my post about the P5 delay so I don't know how many new pages have been since then.)

Crank magic. Get critical wave.

pirata

Hey, guys. Tomorrow morning I'll be leaving on a 24-hour chartered bus ride across the country to attend a conference I'm going to in the place of someone else who had to back down at the last second. I'm going to bring some books and podcasts (Hardcore History updates tonight!) and stuff to write on, but I'm also bringing my 3DS. I just bought Omega Ruby, because it's been long enough since I've had my last Pokemon fix, but I want to get something else too...but no time and too much money to get another physical release! However, Soul Hackers is currently on sale on the eShop for 10 bucks, and Persona Q for 20. Which of those two do y'all recommend I pick up? I'm a huge Persona fan, but I know that Q plays more like Etrian Odyssey, which I've never tried before; I've also played a dozen hours or so of Nocturne, but kind of stopped (might go back to it another day). Is SH as hardcore as Nocturne? Anyway, just wanted some input.

DNAbro

Hey, guys. Tomorrow morning I'll be leaving on a 24-hour chartered bus ride across the country to attend a conference I'm going to in the place of someone else who had to back down at the last second. I'm going to bring some books and podcasts (Hardcore History updates tonight!) and stuff to write on, but I'm also bringing my 3DS. I just bought Omega Ruby, because it's been long enough since I've had my last Pokemon fix, but I want to get something else too...but no time and too much money to get another physical release! However, Soul Hackers is currently on sale on the eShop for 10 bucks, and Persona Q for 20. Which of those two do y'all recommend I pick up? I'm a huge Persona fan, but I know that Q plays more like Etrian Odyssey, which I've never tried before; I've also played a dozen hours or so of Nocturne, but kind of stopped (might go back to it another day). Is SH as hardcore as Nocturne? Anyway, just wanted some input.

I liked Soul Hackers world but the gamepaly bored me a bit. PQ is great imo if you like the Persona characters. Gameplay can be hit or miss and it becomes very easy to break the gameplay later on.

Nimby

Banned

Save often. Go for a magic build, unless you don't want to break the game.

Top Bottom