• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Setsu00

It's because Katsura Hashino took over as director starting with Persona 3.

3/4 have a different vibe than the earlier games, but I can say that the Persona 2 games have a great story/cast that's worth putting up with the poorly-aged gameplay. I haven't played the original SMT: Persona though.

I would argue that Soejima being the art director was just as important. P1 and P2 aren't nearly as stylish as the later games.

Edit: Here's a quick PSA - you should all play Life Is Strange. I've only beaten the first episode so far, but the game feels a lot like the more mundane parts of Persona.

silva1991

The first boss in Q was hard I didn't play the game again because of it(after beating the boss). I don't know if it's much harder than P3 and 4 or was I underleveled. the story wasn't interesting enough to get back to it.

Sophia

The third dungeon's puzzles really turned me off Persona Q. I crashed hard there. Last time a game made me lose all motivation like that was the sewers in Lost Odyssey, which also coincidentally had some dumb puzzles.

squadr0n

Level 2 of You in Wonderland. 2 hours only.

Im like 8 hours in and im at like 66% done with level 3 of this dungeon lol. Not sure im giong to like it if the first boss is as hard as some have mentioned and the dungeon puzzles get harder.

I really want to play Eternal Punishment but ive been waiting for the psp release to get translated. The adult cast seems like something I would really like.

cj_iwakura

3/4 have a different vibe than the earlier games, but I can say that the Persona 2 games have a great story/cast that's worth putting up with the poorly-aged gameplay. I haven't played the original SMT: Persona though.

P1 has a great cast. The core plot is by the numbers, but their banter is a lot of fun(especially Mark and Nanjo's). Ayase is a gem.

I would argue that Soejima being the art director was just as important. P1 and P2 aren't nearly as stylish as the later games.

Eh, with reason, I think. They're more subdued.

I wanted to post that amazing Kaneko group drawing from IS, but the Allegory of Whatever is gone. :( It's an IS fansite that was around when EP PS1 came out. It was THE resource prior to the fan translation.

Dugna

Persona Q has some great cast interactions but man I just said screw it after the
festival dungeon
and just used a guide for the maps I didn't care anymore about doing it personally.

squadr0n

Persona Q has some great cast interactions but man I just said screw it after the
festival dungeon
and just used a guide for the maps I didn't care anymore about doing it personally.

Are the dungeon puzzles easier if you have a full drawn map?

P1 has a great cast. The core plot is by the numbers, but their banter is a lot of fun(especially Mark and Nanjo's). Ayase is a gem.

Eh, with reason, I think. They're more subdued.

I wanted to post that amazing Kaneko group drawing from IS, but the Allegory of Whatever is gone. :( It's an IS fansite that was around when EP PS1 came out. It was THE resource prior to the fan translation.

tsumi-group-1.jpg

This image?

Dugna

definitely, and overall if you really want to spend the extra hour or 2 filling each map 100% then its not overall hard. Its just very boring to do, only thing that kept me going in PQ was the cast.

Edit: Here's a quick PSA - you should all play Life Is Strange. I've only beaten the first episode so far, but the game feels a lot like the more mundane parts of Persona.

Thanks, but no thanks. I've watched a Let's Play of the first episode and the dialogue is so, so, so cringe-worthy. It reminded me a lot of Dawson's Creek from back in the 90s - there are no teenagers that converse like that in real life. And like Creek, it just came across as incredibly pretentious and trying way too hard to be "cool".

Plus, I got spoiled on the whole thing anyways, and it does the thing many Western games that revolve around player choice do in the end.

Thanks, but no thanks. I've watched a Let's Play of the first episode and the dialogue is so, so, so cringe-worthy. It reminded me a lot of Dawson's Creek from back in the 90s - there are no teenagers that converse like that in real life. And like Creek, it just came across as incredibly pretentious and trying way too hard to be "cool".

Plus, I got spoiled on the whole thing anyways, and it does the thing many Western games that revolve around player choice do in the end.

So you'd say it's hella overrated? :p

Sophia

Hmm? It's still there.

Most of them revolve around FOEs and thus get significantly easier with a better map, but there's a few in the third dungeon that are independent of the map and are total ass because of it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
The third dungeon's puzzles really turned me off Persona Q. I crashed hard there. Last time a game made me lose all motivation like that was the sewers in Lost Odyssey, which also coincidentally had some dumb puzzles.

The first one with the schedule was so badly explained.

The fourth dungeon is even worse because there is a bit of back-tracking and other nonsense. I just said fuck it at one point and just looked on gamefaqs for the maps, it was just so damn tedious.

Sophia

The first one with the schedule was so badly explained.

The fourth dungeon is even worse because there is a bit of back-tracking and other nonsense. I just said fuck it at one point and just looked on gamefaqs for the maps, it was just so damn tedious.

I want to see the Japanese version of this. I think it may have been a translation issue. It was joke for me to figure out when I actually charted it down in a spreadsheet. I bet the Japanese version here uses kanji for each class, making it easier to read than the English version.

DNAbro

A few pics from the persona meetup at London MCM Comic-con today!

Apologies if the formatting is fucked, im on mobile atm.

That Igor is amazing. Seeing a cosplay for Yusuke is cool as well.

Also since when did the new Velvet room twins have names? I was looking up Yusuke's name found out they were named.

QuadOpto

Since the stream before PV#03. In one of the moments during the countdown(I think a bit before it reached to 0,actually), they introduced themselves by name.

Zebetite

Banned
hey, personaGAF!

it's been a good long while since i've posted here. i'm sure this has upset and distressed you all greatly! as we grow ever-closer to persona 5 being a real thing, i assure you that you'll be seeing more of me.

so maybe now you're thinking "oh this guy just totally checked out, hung up his persona and persona accessories, until he could opportunistically swoop back in as soon as the gettin's good!" and, well, you're maybe partially right! but i didn't check out at all. i've spent loads of time skulking around our strange and wonderful irc channel, which i endorse wholeheartedly, but moreover, have spent a ridiculous amount of time writing an essay about How Persona 4 Saved Video Games.

the long and short of it is that depression can make you not-enjoy the things you used to love, and that happened between me and video games over a period of years. it was not until 2013, when i played persona 4, that the spell was (partially) broken and i could enjoy things again. it is equal parts a love letter/endorsement of persona 4 and a personal tale about trying to self-manage depression.

incidentally, i endured two depressive episodes while writing it, so it's taken me literally months to write! so if it seems to fall apart midway through, that's because it kinda did. but it's also 10000 words long, so i've earned some of the time i spent on it, i hope. it is the most i've ever written on any one topic, even including the deluge of essays i had to write academically.

anyways, i'm posting it here for anybody to read-- whether you just love persona 4, or like to read other people's sob stories, or whatever your reason, i hope this essay finds you and finds you well. i will be more and more honored for everyone who reads it.

a glowing endorsement from our own main man, my good friend, PK Gaming: "goddamn, people need to read this."

http://heyguysvideogames.com/2015/10/25/persona-4-like-a-dream-come-true/

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I want to see the Japanese version of this. I think it may have been a translation issue. It was joke for me to figure out when I actually charted it down in a spreadsheet. I bet the Japanese version here uses kanji for each class, making it easier to read than the English version.

I don't really remember what it was asking for, something about filling in the schedule, right? I think I couldn't even figure out WHAT it was exactly looking for.or I kept plugging in the wrong values. Then Naoto was oh "it's this" and I was still like "wut" .

Squire

Banned
hey, personaGAF!

it's been a good long while since i've posted here. i'm sure this has upset and distressed you all greatly! as we grow ever-closer to persona 5 being a real thing, i assure you that you'll be seeing more of me.

so maybe now you're thinking "oh this guy just totally checked out, hung up his persona and persona accessories, until he could opportunistically swoop back in as soon as the gettin's good!" and, well, you're maybe partially right! but i didn't check out at all. i've spent loads of time skulking around our strange and wonderful irc channel, which i endorse wholeheartedly, but moreover, have spent a ridiculous amount of time writing an essay about How Persona 4 Saved Video Games.

the long and short of it is that depression can make you not-enjoy the things you used to love, and that happened between me and video games over a period of years. it was not until 2013, when i played persona 4, that the spell was (partially) broken and i could enjoy things again. it is equal parts a love letter/endorsement of persona 4 and a personal tale about trying to self-manage depression.

incidentally, i endured two depressive episodes while writing it, so it's taken me literally months to write! so if it seems to fall apart midway through, that's because it kinda did. but it's also 10000 words long, so i've earned some of the time i spent on it, i hope. it is the most i've ever written on any one topic, even including the deluge of essays i had to write academically.

anyways, i'm posting it here for anybody to read-- whether you just love persona 4, or like to read other people's sob stories, or whatever your reason, i hope this essay finds you and finds you well. i will be more and more honored for everyone who reads it.

a glowing endorsement from our own main man, my good friend, PK Gaming: "goddamn, people need to read this."

http://heyguysvideogames.com/2015/10/25/persona-4-like-a-dream-come-true/

Phenomenal piece of work you have there. I think you have a very deep, very genuine understanding of Persona 4. I've made many of the same observations since I played the game myself, in 2012.

The Atlus (USA) site seems to redirect me to another site that does not look even remotely related to Atlus. Does this happen with anyone else or is something fucked up on my end?

Well then... Good to know, thanks.

You're not the only person I've seen with this issue. Apparently it's only on mobile though.

JCX

Thanks. I'll try the PSP version of 2.

Kind of surprised Atlus hasn't ported P4G to PS4. Could be a good way to build a larger audience ahead of P5.

cj_iwakura

Finished Smile Hirasaka in IS PS1, and I have to wonder... what does Maya and Ixquic's vocal quip(translated as 'it's whoop ass time!') really mean? I have no idea what she's saying, it's five syllables, two of which are repeated.

Redhood

So after looking at the disgusting amount of DLC that is available for Ultimax I have decided to go ahead with the purchase. Another question! Is
Adachi
the only character with story? Do Margaret and Marie come with their story too?

So after looking at the disgusting amount of DLC that is available for Ultimax I have decided to go ahead with the purchase. Another question! Is
Adachi
the only character with story? Do Margaret and Marie come with their story too?

Nope, Marie and Margaret are just VS characters.

Have you played DDS before? If not, you're in for a treat, particularly with DDS 2.

I've played P4 to completion, but never owned the disc. I played 2 months (in game) of P3FES before moving onto P3P because it was more convenient at the time.

All of the others I have never played before!

Top Bottom