• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Nimby

Banned
And if ~nothing~ is shown by the time Tokyo Game Show is over with, that would be the time to panic. ;__;

If TGS comes and no Persona 5, I will burn every Atlus product I own and DM the video to Hardin, that'll teach him!

I would never do this, I love Hardin and Atlus way too much. I'd be pretty disappointed though ._.

Weiss

Banned
Whether or not one of Atlus' biggest games of all time is going to be at Japan's biggest games show should not be a thing we even have to think about.

Just finished P3fes.

I was promised an awesome final battle, it wasn't. Absolutely boring...
The ending was cool.

pro and cons:
+ aki, mitsu and yuka. Most of the secondary characters (Yuko <3 ).
+ the character design.
+ musics (except the daytime music. I swear i'm gonna puke if i hear this one more time )
+ battle system
+ story... but the game drags on too long and its kind of deluted.
+ interesting and challenging boss battles
+ ending

but
- junpei. From day one i hated him. And predicted all the shit he did.
- who cares about the dog and the kid? Their inclusion in the game felt forced. Oh and the guy
who died. i can't even remember his name -_-; )
Never used them.
- some of the secondary characters sucks (strega aka pushover club. And those designs, urgh.)
- the whole aigis storyline felt forced as well.
I don't understand why the story focus on her in the end.
- enemies's design. Goes from grotesque to ridiculous to straight out of a middle schooler's scrapbook.
- the pace. Felt like a chore during the last part.
- full of JRPG cliché ("
adult sucks! my parents are dead! friendship gonna save us all!"

From what i read here, i'm gonna skip The Answer and move on to P4.

That's what I was getting at. Hardin can swear up and down that it's still coming in 2015, but it's difficult to believe him at this point.

Eh, I believe him, don't see Atlus would lie to us.

Like, no ads doesn't mean that the game will be delayed, that's what I hope at least ;)

- who cares about the dog and the kid? Their inclusion in the game felt forced. Oh and the guy
Never used them.

Shinjiro
, and yeah he's kind of a non-character who's only there to further other people's subplots. He gets to be a social link if you pick the girl in the PSP version, which really fleshed him out a lot.

The Answer has some nice character stuff and good closure, so if you care about that you should consider watching the cutscenes at least.

Also, P4 is way better.

If all we get from TGS is the trailer from the Blu Ray, then there is no doubt in my mind that this game isn't coming to NA in 2015, unless it really is a simultaneous release between Japan and NA (which I still don't believe will happen for a game of this size).

Weiss

Banned
Eh, I believe him, don't see Atlus would lie to us.

Like, no ads doesn't mean that the game will be delayed, that's what I hope at least ;)

I do still believe him. I genuinely think the reason they've been so insistent on 2015 is because Atlus Japan is holding them back, but it's still really frustrating as a consumer.

Mostly I think the problem stems from them first announcing the game back in 2013 and trickling small amounts of info between month long gaps, with the last publicly released trailer being shown in February, and how we're all so used to knowing games inside out before we play them these days.

Nimby

Banned
That's what I was getting at. Hardin can swear up and down that it's still coming in 2015, but it's difficult to believe him at this point.

He's either saying that because he knows for sure, or it's a reassurance from Atlus JP.

Just finished P3fes.

I was promised an awesome final battle, it wasn't. Absolutely boring...

- junpei. From day one i hated him. And predicted all the shit he did.
Never used them.
- some of the secondary characters sucks (strega aka pushover club. And those designs, urgh.)
- the whole aigis storyline felt forced as well.
I don't understand why the story focus on her in the end.
- enemies's design. Goes from grotesque to ridiculous to straight out of a middle schooler's scrapbook.
- the pace. Felt like a chore during the last part.
- full of JRPG cliché ("
adult sucks! my parents are dead! friendship gonna save us all!"

From what i read here, i'm gonna skip The Answer and move on to P4.

Im gonna focus on the negatives, because thats more fun.

Im surprised you liked Akihiko but disliked Junpei, but I'm going to assume you meant from a personality standpoint rather than a character development one. Junpei can be a jackass but has great character development, whereas Aki is probably one of the flattest characters in the game.

When it comes to Ken and Koro, people like Koromaru because he's a strong dog, and who doesnt love a puppy? The general consensus is that people dont like Ken because he's a little shit, although there are some Ken apologists around here :p

Im surprised you thought that Aigis was 'forced in' especially since she's one of, if not THE main catalyst in the entire story. A huge majority of the plot simply doesnt work without her.

As for the enemies, other than the bosses, theyre just jobbers, not meant to be imposing or threatening (that much). You're supposed to get a sense of "I can beat this" when you see them. P.s. The enemy designs remain the same in P4 with a few new ones in there too.

Everybody knows about P3's glacial pacing in the final 1/3 of the game, nothing new there.

You're the first person I've seen call the final boss boring though! A
multi-form boss that requires you to change tactics and adapt to a multitude of different styles
is hardly what I'd call boring.

Still, its good to see someone with a different viewpoint on the norm about P3. It'll be interesting to see what you think of P4, especially since the P3 vs P4 debates still rage on to this day.

multi-form boss that requires you to change tactics and adapt to a multitude of different styles

I dunno, I've seen more than a few people complain about the final boss going on for way too long.

I do still believe him. I genuinely think the reason they've been so insistent on 2015 is because Atlus Japan is holding them back, but it's still really frustrating as a consumer.

Mostly I think the problem stems from them first announcing the game back in 2013 and trickling small amounts of info between month long gaps, with the last publicly released trailer being shown in February, and how we're all so used to knowing games inside out before we play them these days.

My personal theory is that it's just some weird marketing strategy of Atlus, you know, the core fanbase will probably already buy P5 so there isn't a reason why Atlus should please them, better to just wait until a later moment, throw down a bunch of info and create a giant hype train which also sucks in some non-Persona fans.
Who knows at this point though, I'm also just some random guy theorycrafting :p

I think most of this "pessimism" is just the fact that people are really thirsty for new P5 info (which is understandable) and try to come up for reasons why they aren't getting it yet.

I dunno, I've seen more than a few people complain about the final boss going on for way too long.

I thought that it was pretty dull, you basically had to do the same thing over and over again, J-rpg final bosses are, mechanically, always a bit of a bland "war of attrition" in my experience.

The best part of the fight was that I bothered to fuse Mara and used him to deal the finishing blow lol.

I think most of this "pessimism" is just the fact that people are really thirsty for new P5 info (which is understandable) and try to come up for reasons why they aren't getting it yet.

I still believe in 2015, but at the same time I can't help thinking that P4D and P5 were in a similar position last year with complete silence until the 2015 delay was announced at TGS.

fdzxcxS.jpg

on another note: P4D launch edition box.

I caved in, this should be coming in the mail sometime soon. Someone finally put a listing up for it, and i had no idea how long until it would come back up again if i waited

33495.jpg

Im gonna focus on the negatives, because thats more fun.

Im surprised you liked Akihiko but disliked Junpei, but I'm going to assume you meant from a personality standpoint rather than a character development one.
Yes.
And I agree, if we speak about development, junpei is better. I just don't like him and his story is just cliché, i saw that kind of character too many time in other media, i knew exactly what was going to happen.

The general consensus is that people dont like Ken because he's a little shit, although there are some Ken apologists around here :p
i just didn't care about him and his storyline. he pops out of nowhere, join you for whatever reason... honestly his only purpose is to strenghten aki/shin storyline.
And who wants to play a kid in shorts? :p

Im surprised you thought that Aigis was 'forced in' especially since she's one of, if not THE main catalyst in the entire story. A huge majority of the plot simply doesnt work without her.
Plot wise she's necessary, yes. For a moment. What I'm talking about is
the relationship with the mc and the end game. It looks like they gonna end together, but maybe i'm wrong. Dunno, i feel like the devs were like "you gonna love this character now! we said LOVE HER :mad:" and it just didn't click with me. Why is she so obsessed with the mc? Guilt? Why are they so close? And she's a robot so who cares? i wanted to rest on yuko's thighs, not a robot :(

I didn't go through any of this. Full assault > he hit me twice > mediarahan > he does his moon stuff > full party on heal > full assault ... x infinity
In the end, all i did was invoke mediarahan and pop some soma -_-

Still, its good to see someone with a different viewpoint on the norm about P3. It'll be interesting to see what you think of P4, especially since the P3 vs P4 debates still rage on to this day.
I'm not gonna start P4 right away, i'm afraid i might get Persona fatigue, the two games don't seem that different from what i saw.

So this might be of interest to someone, I was looking around for Aigis The First Mission gameplay and came across this:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm185...id=26582605&mylist_sort=1&ref=mylist_s1_p1_n8

A Zero Escape style Persona 3 room escape mobile game.

Also, the Aigis the first mission gameplay:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15666036, links to later parts are in the description.

Youtube mirrors:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJeQnnilKUI_IqSsBoCewLUJeR7D_Y4kA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yQ0Ry2CgZE&feature=youtu.be

Sophia

And she's a robot so who cares?

Commencing Ignore Mode. :|

Plot wise she's necessary, yes. For a moment. What I'm talking about is
the relationship with the mc and the end game. It looks like they gonna end together, but maybe i'm wrong. Dunno, i feel like the devs were like "you gonna love this character now! we said LOVE HER :mad:" and it just didn't click with me. Why is she so obsessed with the mc? Guilt? Why are they so close? And she's a robot so who cares? i wanted to rest on yuko's thighs, not a robot :(

To actually answer these questions properly.
Aigis was the one responsible for sealing Death inside the protagonist ten years before the start of the story. Her memory was corrupt from the damage she sustained, but the knowledge of what she done and it's relation to the order she was given remained in her. It's only near the end does she fully retain her members. It originally wasn't romantic until she fully gained emotions near the end. At which point it took on a life on it's own, so to speak. The actual social link wasn't in vanilla P3 tho. It was added in FES.

Also, the Aigis the first mission gameplay:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15666036, links to later parts are in the description.

Woah, I think this is the first time I've ever seen actual gameplay of it. Usually all I've ever seen are the handful of screenshots from the web. Nice find!

Sophia

So yeah, I watched the ending to Aegis: The First Mission.

This game is a) definitely not canonical b) has terrible music and c) is a poor man's Ys game with Persona slapped over it. o_o

So yeah, I watched the ending to Aegis: The First Mission.

This game is a) definitely not canonical b) has terrible music and c) is a poor man's Ys game with Persona slapped over it. o_o

And to think the only Aigis-centric spinoff isn't that good :<

Jachaos

I'm not gonna start P4 right away, i'm afraid i might get Persona fatigue, the two games don't seem that different from what i saw.

Yeah that's a good idea. Are you going to be playing vanilla P4 or Golden on Vita? Both are improved in gameplay over P3FES though Golden is even more improved.

P4 and P3 share the same major gameplay mechanics and engine but they're pretty different in tone and atmosphere . Setting, music, UI and such all come together to give a different feel to both games even though they're on the same engine. The pacing's better in 4, the plot's different, the themes are different, the team dynamic/chemistry develops differently.

Is Hatsune Miku the last DLC for P4D (that we know of)? I'd assume Atlus wants to keep the focus on P4D until all the DLC is released,

No, the Lawson preorder costumes are scheduled for mid September.

Atlus have also talked about possible future patch content, which we have no schedule for.

FluxWaveZ

And to think the only Aigis-centric spinoff isn't that good :<

While not a spin-off, The Answer pretty much revolved around Aigis and I liked that.

Is Hatsune Miku the last DLC for P4D (that we know of)? I'd assume Atlus wants to keep the focus on P4D until all the DLC is released,

There are two pieces of DLC announced for after Hatsune Miku: the Lawson Original Costumes and the Amazon pre-order bonus Vita custom theme for September 24. Additionally, there might be more DLC after that, if the official website's teasing is accurate.

While not a spin-off, The Answer pretty much revolved around Aigis and I liked that.

When i think of a spinoff, i think of a different genre, or different mechanics. Answer was more of the same, and actually took out mechanics like the compendium.

I greatly enjoyed watching The Answer's story, and i'm (very) slowly getting through it myself because i want to experience the events for myself, and not though YouTube. Hard to explain it, but if i'm in control of the game, it's much more dramatic and immersive to me

So... I've been wondering - does Anne/Anzu have an "agreed upon" english name yet?

I've seen people use both, and personally I don't mind either.

Which would you all refer to see?

MSMrRound

What, are we at that stage where we are panicking before TGS is even here?

I'm still on #teamTGS.

I'm personally inclined to think that there might be a SonyxAtlus collab as well, announced on stage.

N° 2048

Not in the slightest.

that would be like playing Final Fantasy X spoiling Final Fantasy VII. They aren't directly related.

Thanks guys! Just got into Persona a few days ago with P4G, already 30 hours in.

It's just a perfect blend of what I want in a JRPG. Shame I had it sitting on my shelf for so long :(

Need more games like this series! (and Danganronpa!)

Weiss

Banned
So... I've been wondering - does Anne/Anzu have an "agreed upon" english name yet?

I'm thinking it's Anne, since her character design makes me think she's Caucasian between the seemingly undyed blonde hair and the blue eyes.

I've wondered this for many sleepless nights. I try to just avoid referring to her by name entirely until we know how it's supposed to be read.

Sophia

No official name yet, but I want it to be Anne Takamäki because the idea of a Finnish person in Japan sounds pretty interesting.

Top Bottom