• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Dantis

He has yet to top his jamming in the DDS1 OST, oh my god. Track to track, it was bliss.

Isn't there only a handful of tracks where does it in DDS? He generally does it for a few tracks in all his OSTs. Strange Journey is the only one without it.

Also, great pics, Arue and 84!

Kazzy

They're both super nice. Even chatted for a bit with Yuri about the poster (he loved it).

Only thing that kinda bugs is that he wrote "Tune in to the Midnight Channel." After I realized what he was writing I was thinking "Nooooooooo! Wrong game!" lol.

Well, to be fair, P4 is his mark on the franchise. If anything, you should be disappointed if he hadn't written that!

Kazzy

Yes

Play as the female character though

Do you know what is worse than people deriding the lack of FemMC in the extended canon? People trying to impose those opinions/views onto others.

Truth be told, both routes are perfectly valid, though I do tend to agree with the game's suggestion of going for the male route first. It is, for all intents and purposes, canon - meaning you'll encounter that version of events in all extended media. It may cause a little bit of confusion later, if you choose to go the other route; though that also assumes you'll want to play it again, and that you'll stick around for everything else. It's the 'intended' experience, whatever sway that holds over you.

The female route carries a lot of affection for most (me included), precisely because it builds upon on what you already know. By the point of P3P's release, fans were already well-aware of established character relationships and quirks, so it especially novel to see all that turned on its head, and being allowed as the player avatar, to approach these personalities on completely different terms. I think a lot of the fun of this route, comes from the subversion that takes place.

You can't really make a wrong choice - it's just that there are caveats to each!

Dugna

Or they could just play both and appreciate the changes that P4 gave Atlus to make better writing choices for FemMC that they couldn't to the MaleMC.

Do you know what is worse than people deriding the lack of FemMC in the extended canon? People trying to impose those opinions/views onto others.

Woah, I really didn't say that to "impose my opinion" or anything, kinda harsh to just assume that.

I mean, FES also exists. If you're already going to play as a male wouldn't that be the "better, more intended" way to play?

Woah, I really didn't say that to "impose my opinion" or anything, kinda harsh to just assume that.

I mean, FES also exists. If you're already going to play as a male wouldn't that be the "better, more intended" way to play?

Exactly. That's why ty_hot should ignore everyone but me and play P3FES instead of portable

arue

Speaking of P3P:
tumblr_nx5bj9QP3K1tpb3euo2_1280.jpg
*throws up art*

Throwing my opinion out there, play P3MC first, then do FeMC afterwards. P3MC is the canon route that all P3 media follows, and FeMC was added in afterwards. Think of FeMC as a "what if" scenario, or an alternate timeline. I also don't really know how FeMC can change your views on the game's themes, but i played P3MC first in P3: FES

oook guys, thanks for coming to a split decision :p
cant play P3FES as I dont have a ps2 anymore (10 years maybe?).

It's also available on PS3 on the PSN. Goes on sale pretty frequently, too.

Unless you're like me and are hoping for a rerelease announcement for its 10th anniversary next year...

Kazzy

When you post a brief answer, devoid of any real explanation, it really does convey a tone, whether you intend it to or not.

Also, it isn't the first time I've seen you reply to this subject, and you were similarly flippant then.

But that's probably just me though, and those who have gotten on their soapbox about this has begun to grate. Sorry!

When you post a brief answer, devoid of any real explanation, it really does convey a tone, whether you intend it to or not.

Also, it isn't the first time I've seen you reply to this subject, and you were similarly flippant then.

But that's probably just me though, and those who have gotten on their soapbox about this has begun to grate. Sorry!

I'm sorry too if I offended you.

Thing is, it's always hard to explain a choice that a new player has to make before he even has any experience with the game. I mean I could say that you get S.links with male party members but I doubt a beginner would even know what that means.
Whatever I say, it's always going to be vary vague since you also have to avoid spoilers and stuff so I personally don't really see a reason to go into detail why one should pick it.

I mean, I could say that FemC "fleshes out the male cast more" (which happens to be the main reason why I prefer the route) but without a frame of reference of who these male characters even are it feels rather useless.

I say it more because I think that people should be aware that FemC is a legit choice to pick, especially since the whole "recommended for new players" thingy shown when you try to pick the male version kinda sways people to think that male is "the only way to go" at the start, at least that's what I've noticed when I talked to some people who played P3P male route.

Me saying that someone should play FemC is more of a "hey, if you wanna play as this one at the start you should totally do it" and not an "You must play FemC since it's superior.

But if it confuses people I'll word it different in the future.

Sorry again, I never like it when I upset people <3

Asukafag

Banned
Do the male version first if you like it try out the female version afterwards the female does have better social links though.

Sophia

Aigis is pretty much the canon love interest anyway for both paths.

:|

Aigis wasn't even a social link in the original version of Persona 3. Yukari seems to have been the intended love interest originally, before the introduction of social links.

The "love" you see is platonic. Yukari is the only character who is pushed at all onto P3MC. Now if you actually finish Aigis' social link, then the story makes it look like she is the love interest, with her social link in mind. But the game actually assumes you've done no social links to stay on one canon route throughout games, so it's not canon (sadly)

Kazzy

As already been mentioned, anything that allowed/showed the MC reciprocating anything, or even depicted that kind of relationship, are all elements that weren't present originally.

What you're referring to is purely conjecture, and part of plot elements that are later resolved within the course of the story.
It's certainly presented that way (initially), with Aigis' stalking, so I can understand why some misconstrue that, but it's more of a device to create intrigue at that point in the story.

Kazzy

:|

Aigis wasn't even a social link in the original version of Persona 3. Yukari seems to have been the intended love interest originally, before the introduction of social links.

That's how I always viewed it, too.

Yukari is the 'intended' route in P3, whilst Yukiko is the same in P4. As much as I prefer Rise, I think her boldness in proclaiming her interest in Yu, is the typical cliché of the bold girl being introduced to incite some sort of drama and tension, within the established dynamic. As much as I like that archetype, you rarely see them treated with any sort of seriousness in media, unfortunately. Well, at least in terms of them winning out in the romance stakes.

CorvoSol

Truth be told, both routes are perfectly valid, though I do tend to agree with the game's suggestion of going for the male route first. It is, for all intents and purposes, canon - meaning you'll encounter that version of events in all extended media. It may cause a little bit of confusion later, if you choose to go the other route; though that also assumes you'll want to play it again, and that you'll stick around for everything else. It's the 'intended' experience, whatever sway that holds over you.

The female route carries a lot of affection for most (me included), precisely because it builds upon on what you already know. By the point of P3P's release, fans were already well-aware of established character relationships and quirks, so it especially novel to see all that turned on its head, and being allowed as the player avatar, to approach these personalities on completely different terms. I think a lot of the fun of this route, comes from the subversion that takes place.

You can't really make a wrong choice - it's just that there are caveats to each!

Good grief it's a fucking video game

Dantis

Pretty sure there isn't a 'proper' love interest for Narukami.

All four of the girls show interest in him within story scenes.

Sophia

That's how I always viewed it, too.

Yukari is the 'intended' route in P3, whilst Yukiko is the same in P4. As much as I prefer Rise, I think her boldness in proclaiming her interest in Yu, is the typical cliché of the bold girl being introduced to incite some sort of drama and tension, within the established dynamic. As much as I like that archetype, you rarely see them treated with any sort of seriousness in media, unfortunately. Well, at least in terms of them winning out in the romance stakes.

I don't think Yukiko was the intended love interest in Persona 4. All four female characters get scenes indicating that they like the protagonist, and Persona 4 was firmly developed with the social link system in mind. Yukari, on the other hand, was explicitly stated as the heroine/love interest by Soejima prior to adding the social link system. She's also the only female to get clearly romantic scenes with him, in contrast to the others. Aigis does get a lot of scenes in vanilla Persona 3 near the end, but they're not romantic on their own.

Pretty sure there isn't a 'proper' love interest for Narukami.

All four of the girls show interest in him within story scenes.

Exactly. Hell, the game even pushes both Chie and Yukiko on a New Game Plus mode through gameplay options. :p

Kazzy

Good grief it's a fucking video game

Says the person who posts long, rambling posts, about that very subject.

I don't think Yukiko was the intended love interest in Persona 4. All four female characters get scenes indicating that they like the protagonist, and Persona 4 was firmly developed with the social link system in mind.

I didn't mean in terms of canon, just what I felt the most keenly, back when I played it for the first time.

She's definitely not as concrete as Yukari, but I always got the sense that the story was pushing her the strongest. But that said, perhaps that speaks more to her character, where a situation does need to be contrived for her at the beginning, simply because of her personality.

Also, there is the fact that she is the first real dungeon, so her character does get a lot of focus upfront.

Sophia

I didn't mean in terms of canon, just what I felt the most keenly, back when I played it for the first time.

She's definitely not as concrete as Yukari, but I always got the sense that the story was pushing her the strongest. But that said, perhaps that speaks more to her character, where a situation does need to be contrived for her at the beginning, simply because of her personality.

Also, there is the fact that she is the first real dungeon, so her character does get a lot of focus upfront.

The problem there is that the game unquestionably and factually pushes Rise the strongest, in terms of sheer scene count. She flirts with the protagonist almost every chance she gets, romance or not. :p

Kazzy

The problem there is that the game unquestionably and factually pushes Rise the strongest, in terms of sheer scene count. She flirts with the protagonist almost every chance she gets, romance or not. :p

Yeah, Rise is the most overt, in that she's the only character who actually exhibits romantic feelings outside of s-link scenes, whereas everyone else does tend to dwell in a emotional ghetto. So in as much as you do get that odd disconnect between story and romance (which makes zero sense as certain points), Rise is luckily exempt from that.

That's her personality though, so even if feelings aren't reciprocated, it doesn't create any dissonance for that to be included in story scenes. She's establishing her dominance with her overtures towards Yu, and she is pretty much the alpha-female of the group. For as much as Chie postures, her resolve does crumble pretty quickly, and Yukiko and Naoto are, by their own accounts, pretty introverted. Rise joins the group later than all but one, and she knows how this game's played!

But of course, my opinion on this is deeply coloured by my initial impressions, which of course, are strongly directed towards Yukiko. She gets that strong push, and I somewhat resented the character, for that reason.

Lunar15

P5 MC then went on to stunt on errybody

Anyway, instead of ranking women, let's talk about how awesome Meguro is instead. Because I think he went all out on P3P's new songs:

Time

Danger Zone

Also, super bonus: I think Spider's String from DDS is a heavily underrated and amazing song. Hope we get some mellow, jammy songs like this in P5. DDS is his best work and Persona goes for a different angle, but since P5 seems to have a lounge-y slant, I'd love to see his more progressive sound. P4 had The Almighty, which came really close, but I'd like even more.

JCX

I'm near the end of my first P3P FeMC run. I'll go the male route if/when they make Persona 3 Complete.

PK Gaming

P5 MC then went on to stunt on errybody

Anyway, instead of ranking women, let's talk about how awesome Meguro is instead. Because I think he went all out on P3P's new songs:

Time

Danger Zone

Also, super bonus: I think Spider's String from DDS is a heavily underrated and amazing song. Hope we get some mellow, jammy songs like this in P5.
Great post, but it could use a dash of

Been a little while but I'm still battling
Moving fast while you's just prattling
No time for me
No tangling
Hit you in the spot with no angle and
I'm not a princess
(A lot of anger in it)
Not a cutie girlfriend, oh no
don't you know?

Top Bottom