• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

I don't mean to start a war but whose worse? Adachi or Nanako? Or how Atlus handled Marie?

For the longest time, I thought Nanako was annoying until a certain HUGE scene happened. Don't really get the love for Adachi and Marie? Lmao just what exactly is going on with her????
I thought Nanako was annoying too but I got used. Adachi was pretty okay for me, but I can't stand his popularity in Japan. It always baffles me because he isn't that great and cabbage jokes aren't funny. And Marie, well, she grew on me after three games. I like her now and her poems are hilarious in Persona Q.

I don't mean to start a war but whose worse? Adachi or Nanako? Or how Atlus handled Marie?

For the longest time, I thought Nanako was annoying until a certain HUGE scene happened. Don't really get the love for Adachi and Marie? Lmao just what exactly is going on with her????

I thought Nanako was generally really well liked. You're definitely in the minority if you thought she was annoying, anyway.

Marie's SL in P4G was pretty terrible, but I didn't mind her that much. Then I watched P4GA, now I can't stand her. She's gotten a pretty polarising reception, anyway. I think the western consensus is that she sucks, but she has a decent following in Japan. She did get a little better in PQ, since making her character into a big joke was actually very fitting for once.

As for Adachi, I thought he was a very interesting character in vanilla P4. He was pretty fresh back then, since they hadn't really done anything like him before in Persona. Like every other character though, he's worn out his welcome by now imo and his "character thing" has long since worn thin. The additional exploration he got in P4G and P4GA was pretty great, though. It's almost like they remembered how to write convincing characters for a bit.

I just wrote up a paragraph on *that* character without using spoiler tags. I live dangerously.

DNAbro

I thought Nanako was annoying too but I got used. Adachi was pretty okay for me, but I can't stand his popularity in Japan. It always baffles me because he isn't that great and cabbage jokes aren't funny. And Marie, well, she grew on me after three games. I like her now and her poems are hilarious in Persona Q.

Marie was definitely kind of crappy in P4G but she was great in PQ.

daevious

Atlus' handling of Marie is easily the worst of the three. They got better with her in Q and DAN but by then the damage was done.

Also, you're in a small minority of players who ever found Nanako annoying. Hell, she's frequently used as an example of a child character that ISN'T annoying in a video game.

Skii

Wow, I thought Marie was pretty well liked. I always found her funny and unique. She was constantly irrational but that clearly stemmed from the fact that she was "different" from the others. Also found her poems interesting.

Tbh, I find everything in Persona 4 Golden absolutely brilliant. The only thing I probably disliked was lack of dungeon variety.

Wow, I thought Marie was pretty well liked. I always found her funny and unique. She was constantly irrational but that clearly stemmed from the fact that she was "different" from the others. Also found her poems interesting.

She's not that bad in P4G, but her SL is trash. Way too many times is it nothing but "you take Marie over there and suddenly everyone else appears, fade to black". P4GA was nothing but that, plus Marie acting like Shadow the Hedgehog over her amnesia all the time. The ideas behind her aren't bad, but the execution was terrible.

Persona Q plays up the emo Hot Topic teenager who writes awful and embarrassing poetry that she's really proud of angle over everything else, and she was a much better character as a result. Kind of the opposite to what they've been doing to Chie and Akihiko.

Also, you're in a small minority of players who ever found Nanako annoying. Hell, she's frequently used as an example of a child character that ISN'T annoying in a video game.
For me, it's only the "big bro" stuff and I'm not a fan of her voice. But in the end, she is great and her farewell is the most hearbreaking.

Zolo

Oh neat. So he's the どうせリュージのやつ. Interesting.

I don't think that's about Ryuji's role as much as Morgana just mentioning him in general. At least, that's what my limited Japanese + Google Translate tells me. Morgana's Japanese is rrrreeeeaaaalllllllllllly slangy so it's kind of almost impossible for me to understand them clearly, though.

Mediking

Yeah, I know Atlus can write good child characters. Anybody remember the kid social link who had parental issues in Persona 3? She was adorable. But Nanako? I thought she was annoying and a eyesore until a particular BIG scene and I grew to like the character.

But Adachi?! How is he popular... AT ALL?

And Marie... Just what was Atlus thinking... Great character design but literally everything else is garbage.

jzbluz

I also don't understand Adachi's popularity, but then I haven't finished P4G so his sl might change my mind (doubtful).

I also don't understand Adachi's popularity, but then I haven't finished P4G so his sl might change my mind (doubtful).

You mean aside from the fact that [P4 SPOILERS]
he's the only halfway-decent human villain the series has had?

Or do you actually think Takaya or Sho were decent?

Welllllllllllllllllllll,
why do people like villains? Adachi happens to be a pretty effective one, something the series kinda lacks, as well as a good foil for the protagonist. He's kind of an irredeemable psychopath so I'm not sure they really meant for him to blow up like that. But, like they often shouldn't, Atlus rolled with it.
He's pretty cute, too.

tumblr_mzruueijs11spdy36o9_500.png

Sophia

ALL SERIES SPOILERS, INCLUDING P4:

Did you just say that Takahisa Kandori, Maya Okamura, The Masked Circle/Masquerade and both Jokers were not decent villains? :|

jzbluz

Did you just say that Takahisa Kandori, Maya Okamura, The Masked Circle/Masquerade and both Jokers were not decent villains? :|

I was about to mention
Kandori.
Worse than dead, forgotten.

Adachi is also kinda different in that (P4 spoilers obviously)
you're supposed to trust him and find him endearing and/or quirky for most of the game. He seems like kind of a loser, "accidentally" leaks you info when your hot uncle is all about shutting you down... he kind of acts like he could be a future party member if you didn't know any better. His true character being revealed betrays what you've thought of him up until that point, assuming you weren't suspicious of him already. He's kind of a similar character to Izaya from Durarara!!, who happens to also be pretty massively popular.

Setsu00

Welllllllllllllllllllll,
why do people like villains? Adachi happens to be a pretty effective one, something the series kinda lacks, as well as a good foil for the protagonist. He's kind of an irredeemable psychopath so I'm not sure they really meant for him to blow up like that. But, like they often shouldn't, Atlus rolled with it.
He's pretty cute, too.

tumblr_mzruueijs11spdy36o9_500.png

I always thought Adachi was rather plain looking, at least in Soejima's drawings. Sogabe made him a lot more handsome, though.

kinda disappointed in P4G
Come on MC, Rise invites you to her house and you decline (on 01/01)? Come on dude, why'd you do that? Lol

(I'm 16 myself so I was kinda looking forward to some fanservice at least, heh)

I got the choices and whatnot right, Marie is maxed... I just need to do some stuff on March 20th and clear Marie's dungeon to get the Golden Ending, right?

Is there anyone on Youtube who recorded all the romantic events (Christmas etc.) in P4G?

I got the choices and whatnot right, Marie is maxed... I just need to do some stuff on March 20th and clear Marie's dungeon to get the Golden Ending, right?

Is there anyone on Youtube who recorded all the romantic events (Christmas etc.) in P4G?

You're locked into doing Marie's dungeon, so there's nothing for you to worry about there. There's some specific stuff you have to do at the end of the game to get the true and golden endings, but I'm assuming you're aware of that?

Here's all the Christmas events. (edit: it's missing Ai but oh well) It's P4 vanilla, but I don't think they added any in P4G. And you get to hear the
superior
OG Chie and Teddie voices! The New Year's and Valentines events are floating around the you tubes as well.

Gecoma

I always thought Adachi was rather plain looking, at least in Soejima's drawings. Sogabe made him a lot more handsome, though.

P4 spoilers:
When you look at some of the original designs they make him look super creepy & much more obviously a suspect. They definitely 'plained' up his design deliberately.

SL Spoilers ect ect.
While his SL is bad/boring that one optional scene near the end is genuinely one of my favourite scenes in any Persona game. Heck in ANY game.

In all fairness,
I knew I was going to get called out on not including P1/P2 characters. I meant more the "modern"(?) entries in the series.

Sorry, my bad.

Setsu00

P4 spoilers:
When you look at some of the original designs they make him look super creepy & much more obviously a suspect. They definitely 'plained' up his design deliberately.

Oh I know that his plainess is deliberate. I just don't see the appeal of a character that has neither a favorable personality nor especially good looks. Adachi works wonderfully in P4 and is a great character in the context of that game, but the extent to what some parts of the fandom idealize him is absolutely creepy.

Dantis

Oh I know that his plainess is deliberate. I just don't see the appeal of a character that has neither a favorable personality nor especially good looks. Adachi works wonderfully in P4 and is a great character in the context of that game, but the extent to what some parts of the fandom idealize him is absolutely creepy.

Absolutely agree.

People just like to pick the obnoxious choice.

You're locked into doing Marie's dungeon, so there's nothing for you to worry about there. There's some specific stuff you have to do at the end of the game to get the true and golden endings, but I'm assuming you're aware of that?

Here's all the Christmas events. (edit: it's missing Ai but oh well) It's P4 vanilla, but I don't think they added any in P4G. And you get to hear the
superior
OG Chie and Teddie voices! The New Year's and Valentines events are floating around the you tubes as well.

Those choices are talking to the maxed social links and going to Junes, right

Oh well, got a bit too cocky with the above tags. I'll probably forget about those names before I get to play P1&P2 though (assuming the first two names were from those games in the "all series spoilers" post...). My fault.

Loving P4G
Winter is so beautiful man. It's back to the cheerful P4G again. Can't wait for the ski trip! Wonder what the justification for the Marie dungeon is?

Are Golden Ending and True Ending wildly different? AFAIK, Golden Ending includes some scenes afterwards, that being the difference. Not sure though.

The Snowy Inaba theme fucked my shit right up, saddens me so much yet it's so heartwarming ;-;

Sophia

Oh well, got a bit too cocky with the above tags. I'll probably forget about those names before I get to play P1&P2 though (assuming the first two names were from those games in the "all series spoilers" post...). My fault.

Loving P4G
Winter is so beautiful man. It's back to the cheerful P4G again. Can't wait for the ski trip! Wonder what the justification for the Marie dungeon is?

Are Golden Ending and True Ending wildly different? AFAIK, Golden Ending includes some scenes afterwards, that being the difference. Not sure though.

The Snowy Inaba theme fucked my shit right up, saddens me so much yet it's so heartwarming ;-;

Don't worry about the spoilers too much. I only spoiler tagged it because others were mentioning a certain someone else under spoiler tags too. :p

There are essentially two versions of the Good ending, and of the True ending. One version is the original version from P4, the other is the the newer version for Persona 4 Golden that happens if you cleared Marie's dungeon. Some new scenes are added, and you get an epilogue after the ending if you got the True ending as well.

Don't worry about the spoilers too much. I only spoiler tagged it because others were mentioning a certain someone else under spoiler tags too. :p

There are essentially two versions of the Good ending, and of the True ending. One version is the original version from P4, the other is the the newer version for Persona 4 Golden that happens if you cleared Marie's dungeon. Some new scenes are added, and you get an epilogue after the ending if you got the True ending as well.

Thanks!

Sophia

Lemme just go ahead and post this. All possible endings in Persona 4 + Persona 4 Golden, spoilers ahoy!

1. You throw Namatame into the TV.
    (Bad Ending) (Final Boss: Kunino-sagiri)
  2. You don't throw Namatame into the TV but he's accused of the murder.
    (Neutral Ending variation #1) (Final Boss: Kunino-sagiri)
  3. You figure out that Namatame is not the murderer, but are unable to figure out who the real murderer is.
    (Neutral Ending variation #2) (Final Boss: Kunino-sagiri)
  4. You figure out that Adachi is the murderer, but do not tell anyone, and either do not burn the evidence, or select anything that does not lead to the evidence burning.
    (Neutral Ending variation #3/
    Accomplice Ending failure
    ; Golden exclusive) (Final Boss: Kunino-sagiri)
  5. You figure out that Adachi is the murderer, do not tell anyone, and burn the evidence.
    (
    Accomplice
    Ending; Golden exclusive) (Final Boss: Kunino-sagiri)
  6. You figure out that Adachi is the murderer, purse him into the TV, and defeat Ameno Sagiri.
    (Good ending variation #1) (Final Boss: Ameno-sagiri)
  7. You figure out that Adachi is the murderer, purse him into the TV, and defeat Ameno Sagiri. You also maxed out Marie's social link and completed her dungeon.
    (Good Ending variation #2; Golden exclusive) (Final Boss: Kusumi-no-Okami)
  8. You figure out that Adachi is the murderer, purse him into the TV, and defeat Ameno Sagiri. Instead of going home on the last day, you head to Junes and figure out the identity of the person responsible for the story.
    (True Ending variation #1) (Final Boss:
    Izanami-no-Okami
    )
  9. You figure out that Adachi is the murderer, purse him into the TV, and defeat Ameno Sagiri. Instead of going home on the last day, you head to Junes and figure out the identity of the person responsible for the story. You also maxed out Marie's social link and completed her dungeon.
    (True Ending variation #2 + Epilogue; Golden exclusive) (Final Boss:
    Izanami-no-Okami
    )

Lemme just go ahead and post this. All possible endings in Persona 4 + Persona 4 Golden, spoilers ahoy!

1. You throw Namatame into the TV.
    (Bad Ending) (Final Boss: Kunino-sagiri)
  2. You don't throw Namatame into the TV but he's accused of the murder.
    (Neutral Ending variation #1) (Final Boss: Kunino-sagiri)
  3. You figure out that Namatame is not the murderer, but are unable to figure out who the real murderer is.
    (Neutral Ending variation #2) (Final Boss: Kunino-sagiri)
  4. You figure out that Adachi is the murderer, but do not tell anyone, and either do not burn the evidence, or select anything that does not lead to the evidence burning.
    (Neutral Ending variation #3; Golden exclusive) (Final Boss: Kunino-sagiri)

1. About Neutral Endings
    What's this stuff about evidence burning and protecting Adachi? I just thought of Adachi at Aiya's (where not picking him gets you an ending) and that led to everything from him fleeing into the TV to defeating Ameno-sagiri. I don't think I came across any choice that could lead to me protecting him at all. Is there a video/LP anywhere that shows where those options appear? I'm VERY sure I never came across anything related to defending Adachi.

Mediking

Yeah.... The fanservice stuff definitely took a hit in Persona 4 and I'm almost positive its because of "feedback" of how the MC in Persona 3 was a Harem King. If you played Persona 3 a certain way then you was truly a Harem King. The little fanservice stuff in Persona 4 doesn't really stack up to the huge fanservice in Persona 3. It's sad, though but there isn't even an attractive woman in Persona 4, in my opinion.

Sophia

About Neutral Endings
What's this stuff about evidence burning and protecting Adachi? I just thought of Adachi at Aiya's (where not picking him gets you an ending) and that led to everything from him fleeing into the TV to defeating Ameno-sagiri. I don't think I came across any choice that could lead to me protecting him at all. Is there a video/LP anywhere that shows where those options appear? I'm VERY sure I never came across anything related to defending Adachi.

The option only shows up if Adachi's social link is as far as possible as it can go at the time when you chose who the murderer is. You'll be given the option to tell the others about Adachi (leading onward in the game to the good ending) or not. If you chose not to tell anyone about Adachi after selecting him as the murderer, you'll be given the option to confront him directly at the end of the game. If you select the correct options and burn the evidence, you get the Accomplice Ending. If you chose any other options that do not lead to the evidence burning, then you get another variation of the Neutral Ending. If Adachi's social link isn't as far as it can go by this point, then the game never offers the option.

Setsu00

Yeah.... The fanservice stuff definitely took a hit in Persona 4 and I'm almost positive its because of "feedback" of how the MC in Persona 3 was a Harem King. If you played Persona 3 a certain way then you was truly a Harem King. The little fanservice stuff in Persona 4 doesn't really stack up to the huge fanservice in Persona 3. It's sad, though but there isn't even an attractive woman in Persona 4, in my opinion.

Are you really playing these games for the fanservice?

FluxWaveZ

The Problem.

The option only shows up if Adachi's social link is as far as possible as it can go at the time when you chose who the murderer is. You'll be given the option to tell the others about Adachi (leading onward in the game to the good ending) or not. If you chose not to tell anyone about Adachi after selecting him as the murderer, you'll be given the option to confront him directly at the end of the game. If you select the correct options and burn the evidence, you get the Accomplice Ending. If you chose any other options that do not lead to the evidence burning, then you get another variation of the Neutral Ending. If Adachi's social link isn't as far as it can go by this point, then the game never offers the option.

Oh, so that's what I was missing by not upgrading his S.Link, then. Thanks!

DNAbro

180px-WHY.jpg

Sophia

Oh, so that's what I was missing by not upgrading his S.Link, then. Thanks!

There's actually a bit more you missed. Specifically, if you chose to head onto the Good/True ending, there's an optional sequence that can happen prior to Magatsu Inaba where his social link will change from Jester to Hunger. There's also additional dialogue pieces later on where his social link continues to rank up. Regardless if you select the accomplice ending (where it's Jester) or continue onto the good/true ending (where it becomes Hunger) it will eventually max out.

You... do realize how inane this is to say on a forum where there's a prevalence of woman right? Just curious. :p

12BoM

There's actually a bit more you missed. Specifically, if you chose to head onto the Good/True ending, there's an optional sequence that can happen prior to Magatsu Inaba where his social link will change from Jester to Hunger. There's also additional dialogue pieces later on where his social link continues to rank up. Regardless if you select the accomplice ending (where it's Jester) or continue onto the good/true ending (where it becomes Hunger) it will eventually max out.

You... do realize how inane this is to say on a forum where there's a prevalence of woman right? Just curious. :p

Um, I think that's a little unfair of you tbh. Just because there are women on this site doesn't mean he has to find the girls in the game attractive. Matter of fact, I don't even think that opinion has anything to do with anybody who posts on this forum.

Thanks for the info! That's good to know. :)

Guess Who

Banned

gRmPMtQ.png

jzbluz

Yu is a bigger harem king than the P3MC since he can even sl the guys, and sure, no one is as hot as Mitsuru, but the P4 girls are fairly attractive.

Sophia

Um, I think that's a little unfair of you tbh. Just because there are women on this site doesn't mean he has to find the girls in the game attractive. Matter of fact, I don't even think that opinion has anything to do with anybody who posts on this forum.

You're right, my apologizes.

tumblr_inline_nffxazjs9T1szxlq3.png

Well.... I was sleepy when I typed up my last post on the site so forgive me, Persona Community!!!! ;_;

No hard feelings. It's all a part of being a newbie.

> ADead reminisces about the stupid shit that got him on Personaism.txt...

tumblr_ne8pdk2dKj1t6xtc8o2_r1_500.gif

artsi

I've been in a Persona hibernation mode since the delay announcement, licking my wounds, but finally tomorrow I can think again that I'll play Persona 5 this year. Maybe in less than 6 months.

Hype is starting to build up again.

Top Bottom