• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

I'm a fucking idiot (p4g BIG SPOILERS)
I thought I'd just get my mind off of midterms for an hour or two, got to Nanako's dungeon before maxing out Rise's social links... fuck

Utterly hooked right now, even to the JRPG part of the game.

hughesta

Banned
I think I felt like that as well, the world and characters were immediately charming to me, which made P4G really easy and fun to get into.
I recently started with P3FES, which is giving me a slightly harder time getting into it. The story feels like it takes more of a back seat in the beginning, and so do the characters. I'm enjoying it, but it'll probably take a bit for me to love it.
P3 is a much slower burn than P4, it really takes its time getting going. But when it does, you're really in for a treat.

Gecoma

So I've recently come to the conclusion that despite not knowing a single thing about the Japanese language & having never imported a game that is in another language before I'm going to import Persona 5 when it releases in Japan.

Considering I'm in Europe & I'd have to wait even longer for an english version anyway I've decided unless a simultaneous US/JPN release happens
lol
this is the road I'll have to take to play my most anticipated game ever asap.

I'm probably going to end up with 3 copies of this game (JAP, US, EU) Sure hope it's worth it, no pressure Atlus :p

So yeah... who else is on this crazy train with me?

So I've recently come to the conclusion that despite not knowing a single thing about the Japanese language & having never imported a game that is in another language before I'm going to import Persona 5 when it releases in Japan.

I mean, it's obviously up to you so you can do what you want but why would you play a J-rpg if you can't understand the story? (which is the main draw of the game IMO)

Wouldn't you just get stuck at some point?

-------

I'm in EU and I'm probably going to import the USA version, I've waited so long already, I can wait a few months more.

Gecoma

I mean, it's obviously up to you so you can do what you want but why would you play a J-rpg if you can't understand the story? (which is the main draw of the game IMO)

Wouldn't you just get stuck at some point?

I'm in EU and I'm probably going to import the USA version, I've waited so long already, I can wait a few months more.

I like the Persona 3/4 gameplay & characters more than the story honestly. (& yeah I know I wouldn't get much out of P5's characters in Japanese but still)

I doubt I'd finish the imported version. I just want to play at least some of it. Hopefully the semi english menus would make navigating some stuff easier & there'll be some translations out there when it comes out. Plus plenty of RPG & Persona experience.

The reason I even brought it up is because my concern Is that even the American version will be more than a few months after the Japanese one. Never mind Europe. Obviously If an English date is announced for soon after the Japanese one at release then yeah I'll wait. But no date or a far off date would be to much for my impatient self.

???

You're just gonna spend hours clicking through dialogue you don't understand. Whatever floats your goat I guess.

*edit: oh and spend a ton of money to do so haha

Considering I'm in Europe & I'd have to wait even longer for an english version anyway I've decided unless a simultaneous US/JPN release happens
lol

I'm probably going to end up with 3 copies of this game (JAP, US, EU) Sure hope it's worth it, no pressure Atlus :p

Don't.
Don't do this to yourself.

Sophia

lol

I don't advise this. You'll run into trouble with social link-like stuff. :\

Gecoma

Like I said, only importing If there's no
good
english release date at the Japanese launch. Not going to finish it in Japanese anyway If that happens & I don't really mind about mashing through dialogue to get to the dungeon stuff.

I don't advise this. You'll run into trouble with social link-like stuff. :\

Trouble not understanding it yeah, but I doubt early/mid game non main-story dialogue choices will stop the player from advancing if they chose the 'wrong' options. If info comes out over the next 1/2 year about how the SL-like stuff is much deeper/complicated than previously I'm sure I'll reconsider.

---

Don't worry about me, I'm just swept up in the hype & don't think I'll be able to wait months to at least start/see some to it.

Like I said, only importing If there's no
good
english release date at the Japanese launch. Not going to finish it in Japanese anyway If that happens & I don't really mind about mashing through dialogue to get to the dungeon stuff.

Trouble not understanding it yeah, but I doubt early/mid game non main-story dialogue choices will stop the player from advancing if they chose the 'wrong' options. If info comes out over the next 1/2 year about how the SL-like stuff is much deeper/complicated than previously I'm sure I'll reconsider.

---

Don't worry about me, I'm just swept up in the hype & don't think I'll be able to wait months to at least start/see some to it.

Fat chance you'd have been able to (P4 ROUTE SPOILERS)
not kill Namatame
without understanding the options. :p

Sophia

not kill Namatame

Indeed. Things like this, if they're present, will make the game virtually impossible to progress without guesswork and/or the assistance of the internet.

Just wait, import the English NA version, save yourself some cash, and play with the rest of us.

Gecoma

not kill Namatame

Indeed. Things like this, if they're present, will make the game virtually impossible to progress without guesswork and/or the assistance of the internet.

Well like I said multiple times now I'm not gonna get anywhere close to that far into the game If I do import unless they front load the choices in this game. Not like guessing/finding translations would be impossible either.

aaaaand a misclick just swallowed the rest of this comment gah! Basically It amounted to: I would expect to only play 10-ish hours to check out how it looks/sounds/plays. Spoilers don't bother me so that's not a factor & being confused by the Japanese version wouldn't affect how I much I enjoy an English copy later. If I'll have the time/funds why the heck not try out a game I'm so so so looking forward to a bit earlier?

But I can tell people don't think much of this idea so let's just drop it haha. Besides none of this matters If It comes out in English at the same time/soon after the Japanese version anyway. Maybe Atlus will surprise me.

Nachos

I'm still not quite sure what you're hoping to get out of importing the game. Being able to relish the atmosphere? A lot of the reasons you listed are things that could be gleaned from trailers. You're both underestimating how much not even being able to read things on even a rudimentary level would hamper you, and overestimating the likelihood of a saintly translator indulging the small minority who'll import. RPGs have a huge amount of text to parse through, and that's both going to compound your confusion and make for a bigger undertaking for someone else to turn into a guide.

Ultimately it's your money, but I'd honestly suggest watching the streams that'll inevitably pop up around release and putting your money elsewhere. Maybe put it towards learning Japanese, so you can be there on the ground floor the next time a Persona game comes out?

Xenoflare

Nozomi Nakahara from Kanamin Kitchen (Persona 4 Dancing all Night character)
char_146109.jpg

That expression always looked a bit awkward... but so does all the other Kanamin Kitchen members

Am I the only one who's not worried about the European release? P4D released only about a month later here, PQ only a few days. NISA seems to do a pretty good job recently.
Then again, DS2:RB released half a year later here, so they're a bit inconsistent I guess. :p

When we still have like four different publishers bringing these games over and the most reliable one can take anywhere from a few days to more than six months, I can't not worry.

daevious

When we still have like four different publishers bringing these games over and the most reliable one can take anywhere from a few days to more than six months, I can't not worry.

This is why I'm tempted to import a US copy when that version comes out. It also allows me to be on the internet without fear of being spoiled. >_>

Tamanon

Banned
After playing Tales of Zestiria on my PC......I wouldn't mind a PC port of Persona 5!

But I'll be happy with just the game out.:)

Dugna

I don't very much care if P5 runs at 60fps or not, pump out those visuals heavily before you focus on that. Its going to be mostly turn based anyway, from what we have seen in the videos.

Makio

Im most "worried" about how diferent the two versions of Persona 5 gonna be (PS4 vs PS3).

I hope all these delays was not for put all the cool / good stuff into the PS4 version and the ps3 ones we get a "inferior" version.

Tamanon

Banned
Im most "worried" about how diferent the two versions of Persona 5 gonna be (PS4 vs PS3).

I hope all these delays was not for put all the cool / good stuff into the PS4 version and the ps3 ones we get a "inferior" version.

I imagine the PS4 version will just have a higher resolution. I think they'll look pretty similar since it's more of an artstyle thing for Persona games.

do you guys think persona 2 would be too dated for someone who's just recently got into and loved persona 3?

i also have 4 waiting in the wings just thought i'd ask

this is the kind of series that once you get into you wanna get your hands on everything but i might be getting too crazy

do you guys think persona 2 would be too dated for someone who's just recently got into and loved persona 3?

this is the kind of series that once you get into you wanna get your hands on everything but i might be getting too crazy

Gameplay-wise, absolutely. I just couldn't get into it. It's really tedious. If you can, though, give it a try anyway. It might end up endearing itself to you.

Tamanon

Banned

Keep in mind that the earlier Persona games are completely different beasts. They play more like your Final Fantasy games where there's a plot and you just advance along the story. Social links and the calendar systems are from P3 onwards.

Persona 2 was amazing at the time, and the characters are great, but I imagine it'd be a slog to get through now.

cj_iwakura

I still love P2 dearly and replay it very often, but I practically grew up on classic RPGs. If you can play any classic FF, you can play P2.

FluxWaveZ

I was just proud of getting the King Crazy on it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If I was going for score I would have put modifiers on.

I grabbed the mic you dropped and then threw it over my shoulder. You should try to play more with modifiers, though; I find that to be way more fun than vanilla, and it's made vanilla a cakewalk on all songs.

12BoM

Yeah, ruin the game thats extremely plot and character centric you've been so looking forward to by importing it in a language you absolutely do not understand.

Wow

cj_iwakura

I grabbed the mic you dropped and then threw it over my shoulder. You should try to play more with modifiers, though; I find that to be way more fun than vanilla, and it's made vanilla a cakewalk on all songs.

Perfect Attacking is generally more impressive, IMO. That's why the Bemani community tend to put more emphasis on FPCs(or SDG, single digit greats).

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
My main aim with the game is King Crazy everything on All Night, then I might start messing around with modifiers and building up my scores.

Top Bottom