• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

FluxWaveZ

a bunch of college students who were killed and brought back to life by a curious deity that wanted to see how they would handle a second chance, however none of them know how they died and the game is part mystery in learning the cause and reacting to it

The World Ends With You 2

If I was a developer and I had a mission to make a Persona like experience that was still unique.... I would instantly start with characters that were in their 30's. The main person would be a employee who is having a mid life crisis and needs excitement badly. Then on one fateful night....

How would you guys create an Persona inspired game?

If I could make the next mainline Persona game as director and producer, it'd be set in New York City and will have a cast of high schoolers all with a different struggle people have in the Western world. I'd also want a more diverse cast, but not too diverse to where it feels forced.

I'd want the game to let you go through the Manhattan borough with trips to the other boroughs being a possibility as the plot goes on. As someone who was born in Manhattan and lived there his whole life, I'd want all audiences to see what makes New York what it is, like how Persona 5 is showing the Greater Tokyo Area and exactly what it is to other types of audiences.

The color scheme would be green and the music style would be a mix of genres (while still staying to one type of genre, like how P5 has jazz, but there are still rock tracks within, like in PV#03), similar to what TWEWY accomplished, and the plot would revolve around a plague infesting the minds of those who are truly corrupt and in power. So, it'd be up to the cast to understand what this plague is and how they can stop this corruption. Along the way, they'd fight Shadows and demons throughout dungeons based on different types of architecture and government.

There's more to it than this, especially when it comes to the plot devices, but this is just a simple description of how I'd want it to be.

pan-hime

Katsura Hashino (Atlus)

2016 Keyword: “I want to create an experience that will become etched within your hearts.”

I feel that games are different than movies and novels in the fact that there is an opportunity for players to feel responsibility in the endings produced by the choices they made. I also see my games as not time-killers, but games that are vivid and striking. It is that which inspired me to become a game developer in the first place. I feel that my next game reaches that ideal, if only just a bit. I’ll be very happy if this game is enjoyable for everyone who has been waiting so long.

In 2016, we plan to safely release one of our biggest games to date, Persona 5. When the game was delayed, we stated that we were going to do various finetuning to the game to ensure it was a quality product. However, I feel we’re almost at that point now. Please look forward to the next Persona 5 update soon!
From the latest Famitsu, translated by Mystic.

Mediking

I REALLY need to start learning the names of the developers of Persona games. Like did anyone from Persona 3 work on Persona 4? Same writer? Different writer? I don't even know. I feel ashamed. I just keep saying, "Atlus" because its easy. But yet for other games... I know the developers names. I shall learn their names and maybe even faces too!

Setsu00

HE SAID "SAFELY RELEASE"

but he also said "plan to"

make the ride stop i want to get off

Technically speaking he said "思っています", which means "I think", but Hashino uses that expression all the time. In fact he actually used it six times in various forms in that short blurb alone, usually when he's referring to his personal opinion. I honestly wouldn't interpret too much into it. Mystic's translation deviates a bit from what Hashino actually said, presumably to make it more natural to English speakers.

Hashino sounds incredibly apologetic and humble in the original text. I understand that it may be hard to get that across in a translation, but it should be pointed out nonetheless.

I REALLY need to start learning the names of the developers of Persona games. Like did anyone from Persona 3 work on Persona 4? Same writer? Different writer? I don't even know. I feel ashamed. I just keep saying, "Atlus" because its easy. But yet for other games... I know the developers names. I shall learn their names and maybe even faces too!

P3 and P4 were developed by the same team, most notably Hashino, Soejima and Meguro. The three of them are also the core creatives behind P5.

Lunar15

Well, the main name you can start with is the director of P3, 4, and 5: Katsura Hashino.

Lunar15

Technically speaking he said "思っています", which means "I think", but Hashino uses that expression all the time. In fact he actually used it six times in various forms in that short blurb alone, usually when he's referring to his personal opinion. I honestly wouldn't interpret too much into it. Mystic's translation deviates a bit from what Hashino actually said, presumably to make it more natural to English speakers.

Hashino sounds incredibly apologetic and humble in the original text. I understand that it may be hard to get that across in a translation, but it should be pointed out nonetheless...

Regardless of the translation, I tend to get that vibe from him as it is. I remember when the whole SEGA buy out from Index happened, he wrote this extremely relieved/humble/apologetic letter and it really framed my view of the guy.

Dammit, double post, meant to add to my previous one.

Setsu00

Regardless of the translation, I tend to get that vibe from him as it is. I remember when the whole SEGA buy out from Index happened, he wrote this extremely relieved/humble/apologetic letter and it really framed my view of the guy.

Dammit, double post, meant to add to my previous one.

Absolutely, yes. Hashino is probably the main reason why I am looking forward to P5. I really missed him in the spin off games.

daevious

Well, the main name you can start with is the director of P3, 4, and 5: Katsura Hashino.

Katsura Hasino also worked on the original version of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (Not Maniax edition, which is the default version overseas), alongside the Digital Devil Saga games.

12BoM

Yaaaaaayy!

Tbh from that last paragraph it sounds like they overshot their estimate at how long it would take to fine tune the game, considering he feels that they are pretty close to the product they are happy with.

IIRC they also said the game was pretty much done when they announced the delay they just wanted to finetune the gameplay to make sure it was perfect.

Really looking forward to upcoming news (hopefully this month!), and if we are extremely lucky, maybe bump up that release date for us huh ;)

Hashino sounds incredibly apologetic and humble in the original text. I understand that it may be hard to get that across in a translation, but it should be pointed out nonetheless.

Someone here said that Hashino went pale after seeing the internet reaction to the P5 delay announced at TGS. I don't think he's proud of the game not being out at all.

cj_iwakura

Looking for a consensus here: what do you all think of Belladonna as she is? Should her songs have more of a rhyme to them, or be more poetic, like this:

Code:
[s]All people are&#9834;<LINE>
[s]Eternal wanderers who pursue the self&#9834;<LINE>
[s]That is the cross that people must bear&#9834;
<END2>

Revised:

Code:
[s]All people are&#9834; Wanderers from afar&#9834;<LINE>
[s]They pursue the self from here to there&#9834;<LINE>
[s]That is the cross that they must bear&#9834;

FluxWaveZ

That rebroadcast for P4tGA starts today on Japanese TV stations. Still don't think that's just happening for nothing. If anything, it's at least meant to coincide with the P4G ski trip collaboration, but it could also be more than that.

That rebroadcast for P4tGA starts today on Japanese TV stations. Still don't think that's just happening for nothing. If anything, it's at least meant to coincide with the P4G ski trip collaboration, but it could also be more than that.

It's probably not for anything too interesting. They're also rebroadcasting the Tales of the Abyss anime from 2008 for that game's 10th anniversary. It's a low-effort gesture to renew interest in the IP and spread awareness for the big upcoming projects. (Tales of Berseria and P5, in this case)

Also insert P4GA shade here. Does anyone know how that show was received in Japan? I'd imagine it did okay based on brand strength alone, but even as P4 spinoffs go it's pretty fucking terrible.

FluxWaveZ

It's a low-effort gesture to renew interest in the IP and spread awareness for the big upcoming projects. (Tales of Berseria and P5, in this case)

That's pretty much what I mean. Ace Attorney is also getting its first anime adaptation because of its 15th anniversary and the upcoming game this year (AA6).

But what also makes the P4GA rebroadcast intriguing to me is that we also already had a confirmed TV broadcast for the Persona 5 anime. With that, the last movie in the P3M series releasing this month, and now the rebroadcast, I wonder if there's a specific schedule that's going on.

This is all leading up to Persona & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games.

------

Is there already a release date of that P5 anime thingy btw. I forgot.

Dantis

Persona 5 question: Are we assuming that the Phantom outfits are outfits that the characters physically own and put on, or are they magical outfits that appear on them when they enter the Palace? Because Hashino's comments alongside a few parts of PV03 lead me to believe that it's the latter.

Setsu00

Persona 5 question: Are we assuming that the Phantom outfits are outfits that the characters physically own and put on, or are they magical outfits that appear on them when they enter the Palace? Because Hashino's comments alongside a few parts of PV03 lead me to believe that it's the latter.

Magical outfits, I guess. I mean there is this
one scene in the second PV that shows how the protagonist awakens Arsene and how he transforms.

Lunar15

Yeah, between MC going through a literal burning transformation sequence, the fact that we see Ryuji looking at his outfit as if he just got it, and the interview notes about the outfits being tied to their powers, I'd say they're magical.

However, I think they exist in the real world, not just in Palace. There's several scenes in the trailer where the MC is wearing his phantom clothes in places that look like they take place in the real world. Of course, that assumes that Palace and the real world are separate places and that palace isn't a "state" of the world like, say, Limbo in bayonetta or even P3's own Dark Hour.

FluxWaveZ

Just came across this, but neat interpretations of Nintendo characters with Personas from this Tumblr.
tumblr_ny6tfbqqCe1ugm5xuo1_540.jpg
tumblr_nz2jypFva51ugm5xuo1_540.jpg
tumblr_nyg550CMVi1ugm5xuo1_540.jpg

I was pretty confused about the middle guy for a few minutes but now I'm pretty sure it's Marth. I'd totally see his and Peach's persona designs in an actual SMT game.

High school Samus is so cute tho

Meia

I was pretty confused about the middle guy for a few minutes but now I'm pretty sure it's Marth. I'd totally see his and Peach's persona designs in an actual SMT game.

High school Samus is so cute tho

High School Samus is Rio, as it should be. Probably would have worked better as a Chariot than Strength though.

Mediking

So, I finally got a Vita! I got a bunch of JRPGS too! Sooo... I wanna buy some old Persona games for it. What's the difference between Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment??? Why are there 2 Persona games called Persona 2??? I'm buying both. Just curious.

So, I finally got a Vita! I got a bunch of JRPGS too! Sooo... I wanna buy some old Persona games for it. What's the difference between Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment??? Why are there 2 Persona games called Persona 2??? I'm buying both. Just curious.

Eternal Punishment is the sequel to Innocent Sin.

Top Bottom