• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

If the numbers are the same between Persona 3 and Persona 4 (and all re-releases of those games) then the chance for a fusion accident is 1/64 for a regular fusion and 1/32 for a triangle fusion. Or at least that's what they were in Persona 3 anyhow. Special fusions never resulted in an accident.

And now I'm glad again there aren't accident-exclusive Personas like the Famed demons in SMT4.

There's usually a way to force accidents in mainline SMT games though.

I think using Foul demons increases the chance, along with using KO'd demons.

Depends on the game. My memory might be fuzzy on this but in Strange Journey you could use a plug in that forced a fusion accident every time, and in Soul Hackers there's something similar, which dramatically increases the chance of accidents.

I don't think SMT IV had anything as clear cut as that, but I remember reading that if you use a certain class (foul/undead?) on a full moon it increases your chances.

SMT4 didn't have moon phases.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Didn't it had to do with the moon phases?

Depends on the game. My memory might be fuzzy on this but in Strange Journey you could use a plug in that forced a fusion accident every time, and in Soul Hackers there's something similar, which dramatically increases the chance of accidents.

I don't think SMT IV had anything as clear cut as that, but I remember reading that if you use a certain class (foul/undead?) on a full moon it increases your chances.

Sophia

In Nocturne, a full moon greatly increases the chance of an accident.

Strange Journey had two apps, one that increased it and one that prevented it.

In IV, using a demon of the Foul alignment increased the chance up to 6/64th of a chance.

Sora_N

After almost 2 years hiatus, I finally finished the
Rise
dungeon in P4G.

I was a little underleveled but made it through the boss fight, is there a recommended team for the next segment/dungeon? I stuck to the original 4 so far.

After almost 2 years hiatus, I finally finished the
Rise
dungeon in P4G.

I was a little underleveled but made it through the boss fight, is there a recommended team for the next segment/dungeon? I stuck to the original 4 so far.

IMHO the next dungeon was the hardest in the game. Complete the dungeon twice over, especially if you were underleveled in Rise's dungeon.

Kanji is one hell of a Phys damage guy, his Elec is amazing as well. He'll certainly be helpful, I used it until the end.

Zolo

Also, just a quick tip for the boss of the next dungeon if you're having trouble which is likely: Black Frost with Agidyne and fire amp will help you immensely.

Sora_N

IMHO the next dungeon was the hardest in the game. Complete the dungeon twice over, especially if you were underleveled in Rise's dungeon.

Kanji is one hell of a Phys damage guy, his Elec is amazing as well. He'll certainly be helpful, I used it until the end.

Also, just a quick tip for the boss of the next dungeon if you're having trouble which is likely: Black Frost with Agidyne and fire amp will help you immensely.

Yikes, sounds good I will keep that in mind.

The exams and stuff were so fun after
Rise's dungeon and the Teddie reveal
lol. I always get so caught up in that stuff over the combat.

The exams and stuff were so fun after
Rise's dungeon and the Teddie reveal
lol. I always get so caught up in that stuff over the combat.

Dude I neglected my impending my math exam due to that part of the game
Failed (as in, got worse than needed) and am now ineligible for Math AP at school.
I don't regret it the slightest bit, that was probably my favorite arc in P4G.

Also
Black Frost is a top tier Persona, definitely fuse it. I used it myself.

Shun

Imagine T2 tony doing art for more Sega owned stuff, eventually doing Persona and Vanilaware.

What a day that would be.

Heavy P4G spoiler
so IIRC the reason Rise appeared as a stripper etc. was actually because that's how the victim was perceived by the masses, Namatame is evidence to that. The thing is, if that is the case, how come are those manifestations the EXACT SAME THINGS the victims had refused to accept inside them?

Mediking

I've been playing the blatant Persona clone known as Mind Zero.

Why the heck is the first boss so hard?!

Edit: I beat it! :D

Drop

Heavy P4G spoiler
so IIRC the reason Rise appeared as a stripper etc. was actually because that's how the victim was perceived by the masses, Namatame is evidence to that. The thing is, if that is the case, how come are those manifestations the EXACT SAME THINGS the victims had refused to accept inside them?

endgame spoilers

It's been a while since I beat the game but I'll try.
The shadows have no relation to what the masses think, they come from the victims, in fact they only appear once the victim is in thrown in the tv.
Iirc the midnight channel shows what's on people's mind only until someone is thrown in, then it shows what's going on inside, which is the victim's struggle.
What people see before then are not shadows, Remember how Yukiko wears a kimono the first time you see her in the tv as opposed to the dress her shadow wears?

someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: btw your nickname and matching avatar are great.

Yosuke/Yukiko/Teddie is usually my party for the whole game. This means the protag will have to take care of physical attacks, with Yosuke as backup on that front, but you get really easy recovery and heavy magic damage in return.

Feel free to experiment, though. Any party members who fall behind will get extra EXP through battles, so keeping everyone up to date is a small effort.

endgame spoilers

It's been a while since I beat the game but I'll try.
The shadows have no relation to what the masses think, they come from the victims, in fact they only appear once the victim is in thrown in the tv.
Iirc the midnight channel shows what's on people's mind only until someone is thrown in, then it shows what's going on inside, which is the victim's struggle.
What people see before then are not shadows, Remember how Yukiko wears a kimono the first time you see her in the tv as opposed to the dress her shadow wears?

someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: btw your nickname and matching avatar are great.

Thanks for both the answer and compliment! :)

(P4G spoilers ahead)
I see what you mean but Rise's a weird case then because IIRC both her first appearance and her actual Shadow were along the lines of being a stripper (don't really know how to put it eloquently).

Drop

(P4G spoilers ahead)
I see what you mean but Rise's a weird case then because IIRC both her first appearance and her actual Shadow were along the lines of being a stripper (don't really know how to put it eloquently).

You see her spot in swimsuit on tv before she appears on the midnight channel, and she's an idol, with the midnight channel showing what the mass thinks of her it's only natural that she appears to be showing off her body.

JediLink

I never thought I would be the type of person to do this but I just thought of a random ass yet perfect ship/teamup. Aigis and Mega Man X. They're both robots with human feelings. They both have "limitless potential" (Aigis with the wild card, X with the variable weapon system). They're basically exactly the same. Now I want to get an Aigis figure approximately the same size as my Mega Man X one so I can pose them together.

You see her spot in swimsuit on tv before she appears on the midnight channel, and she's an idol, with the midnight channel showing what the mass thinks of her it's only natural that she appears to be showing off her body.

Well, that makes sense!

Thanks again for explaining.

I never thought I would be the type of person to do this but I just thought of a random ass yet perfect ship/teamup. Aigis and Mega Man X. They're both robots with human feelings. They both have "limitless potential" (Aigis with the wild card, X with the variable weapon system). They're basically exactly the same. Now I want to get an Aigis figure approximately the same size as my Mega Man X one so I can pose them together.

Well, I've heard of worse crossover ships. :p

(P4G spoilers ahead)

Rise's Case: Major spoilers ahead

So, Rise is an Idol, which means modelling, singing, acting etc. The first time you actually see Rise is at the very start of the game, she's the girl in the bikini in the Quelorie Magic commercial.

So Rise's whole deal is that because she has all of these different jobs, she's concerned that no one gets to see the 'real her'. Because people get to see Model Rise, or Singer Rise, or Actor Rise, but they never actually get to see her for who she actually is. She's not being herself when she's idolling, she's got all of these different facades that she switches between depending on the situation.

This comes across in her shadow. Now, as you, hopefully, have realised by this point in the game, shadows come across and say "this is what you truely are" and then the characters reject them and they fight, and then they accept their shadow. But one of the most common misconceptions that people make is that the shadows genuinely are what the characters are truely like inside, but that is not the case.

The shadows are what happens when a character's emotions go haywire. They are an exaggeration of a feeling that they dont want to accept. The easiest example is Kanji. Kanji's shadow is this super camp, flamboyant personality that goes around shouting how much he likes men. But that's not what Kanji is. Kanji is someone who is into traditionally feminine activities, sewing, crocheting, knitting etc. And as a result of this, he got made fun of by girls as a kid, so his personality changes, he becomes this hyper agressive, loud, manly man, because that is what he thinks people expect a man to be like. But this personality is one that pushes people away from him. In the end, he thinks that feminine activities cause girls to think less of him. "Oh you like to sew, what a queer" I think is one of the lines the shadow gives. So his shadow manifests like it does because "guys dont say things like that".

In the end, Kanji accepts that this side of him exists, but it was never about men or women, he was just scared shitless of being rejected. But this shadow was the manefestation of an exaggeration of these emotions.

Now, back to Rise, her stripper shadow is in a similar vein. She's 'exposing herself' for everyone to see, because that's what the real Rise want's to do, but in a metaphorical sense, rather than the literal sense of, well, exposing herself. She want's to get rid of, or strip herself from, the multiple Rise's caused by her showbiz lifestyle, and want's the world to see her for who she truely is, or her 'naked' self. In the end, she accepts that there is no single version of 'the real me' and that all of her different personalities were born from inside her. That is what the stripper shadow represents, it's her wanting to cast away all of these other Rise's so that people see who she truely is, but this is manefested as casting away her clothes so that people see the naked self.

Hopefully this helped, I probably messed up a point here and there, but its been a while since I played and I'm reciting this from memory. Either that or this whole thing had nothing to do with what you were asking.

Lunar15

I always viewed it as the shadow being the person's true feelings twisted by the rumors and perceptions of society. The investigation team is traversing the rumor and battling the shadow to find the "truth". The dungeon and the shadow come about because the person forgets the truth and buys into the rumor.

There's the truth of how you feel inside: "I don't exist for myself" that manifests into how people perceive you: "You exist for your body". The dungeon and Boss reflect the latter, and the reward is understanding and accepting the former.

Rise:
Rise's dungeon is really about ownership of her own identity. As soon as she forgets why she likes being an idol, she buys into the common belief that she's simply selling out her body.

A lot of the characters' personal struggles come down to ownership of identity. It's usually always a struggle between how they view themselves and how society views them.

I always viewed it as the shadow being the person's true feelings twisted by the rumors and perceptions of society. The investigation team is traversing the rumor and battling the shadow to find the "truth". The dungeon and the shadow come about because the person forgets the truth and buys into the rumor.

There's the truth of how you feel inside: "I don't exist for myself" that manifests into how people perceive you: "You exist for your body". The dungeon and Boss reflect the latter, and the reward is understanding and accepting the former.

Rise:
Rise's dungeon is really about ownership of her own identity. As soon as she forgets why she likes being an idol, she buys into the common belief that she's simply selling out her body.

A lot of the characters' personal struggles come down to ownership of identity. It's usually always a struggle between how they view themselves and how society views them.

Rise's Case: Major spoilers ahead

Hopefully this helped, I probably messed up a point here and there, but its been a while since I played and I'm reciting this from memory. Either that or this whole thing had nothing to do with what you were asking.

Holy shit, that explains a lot! Thank you!

Sophia

Did someone say "Aigis is the best!"? Because Aigis is indeed the best robot.

I kind of wanted Atlus in Project x Zone 2, so we'd have an Aigis/Mega Man/KOS-MOS team up.

Lunar15

Well, to go one step further, it's not really society's rumors, it's the victim's own perception of how society perceives them. That's what I mean by the victim "buying into" the rumor.

It's complicated and really, really Japanese. Sure, we can all relate, but I think the idea of conforming to what you think society says you should be based on your problems is a bigger deal in japan.

The problem is that it's not super consistent in game, and a lot of the time they're making some logical leaps in order to have something that's really just either shocking or stylish. It works overall, but I do have some small problems with it.

P5 on the other hand, at least as far as we've seen, looks a little more straightforward, with each dungeon being some kind of sin. That's my theory, at least.

Mediking

Playing through P4G again... Man, Yukiko's Castle is tough. Conserving MP is such a pain. I know its like that so you don't spam skills but sheesh!

Venfayth

At least in vanilla P4 you can stock up on soda before you go in to the dungeon the first time. I abused saves to make sure I won the soda lottery a few times. That helped significantly.

The Answer hint?
I can wish

There was a rumor going around on twitter (that i now think is fake) that has a "punch card" type of thing, where every movie you'd stamp a spot at the theater, and there were 5 spaces. Originally thought it was confirming The Answer, but i realized it would have been formally announced beforehand, and that no one else seems to have seen it and not a single site had talked about it either

However Aigis holding an evoker may give me some more hope to work with again.

The pessimist in me is saying that it's just representing Aigis mourning since we don't know WHEN she takes the evoker

Sophia

There was a rumor going around on twitter (that i now think is fake) that has a "punch card" type of thing, where every movie you'd stamp a spot at the theater, and there were 5 spaces. Originally thought it was confirming The Answer, but i realized it would have been formally announced beforehand, and that no one else seems to have seen it and not a single site had talked about it either

However Aigis holding an evoker may give me some more hope to work with again.

The pessimist in me is saying that it's just representing Aigis mourning since we don't know WHEN she takes the evoker

It wasn't a rumor, it was just a guess based upon the fact that the punch card included with the first movie did indeed have five spaces. Also, they technically have not announced ANY of the movies ahead of time, so there's no reason to assume it'd be the same with The Answer. :p

To be honest I could see them making a movie on the answer, it would make sense.

It does add a lot to the story, although I still like the approach the manga took by incorporating most if it directly into the main story itself.

Top Bottom