• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

I very recently finished P4G and I didn't use any guide on what to do. The game isn't strict on what you do in your free time, and until you reach the last 20-30 hours,almost nothing you do matters for the ending you get (one or two S.Links matter, besides that, it's mostly a series of choices near the end). As for which S. Links to pursue, just hang out with people you like. They just grant bonus XP (and occasionally a skill or two or perks to party members such as helping a downed ally back up). P4G's all about living the life you want, don't fret over it. You'll have ample time.

Basically this. P4G gives you all the time in the world to do everything you want to. You only really have to follow a set schedule if you're going for 100%, which you should most definitely not try on a first playthrough.

Guess Who

Banned
Starting P4G right now- first SMT/Persona game ever.

I've already put aside the notion of 100%-ing the game, but I'm still finding the number of things I need to fit into limited time kind of daunting- not really sure how to prioritize stuff other than just doing sports on the practice days, and making sure I clear a dungeon under the limit/as quickly as possible. Any pointers on how to deal with managing the social link aspect of the game? I can't really make informed decisions on what to pursue when I don't know what arcanas lead to what, what I'll need at any given moment, and which links are going to have more time and opportunity to work on.

Just as a general tip, most any day you can Social Link, you should probably do a Social Link, and try to go to dungeons on rainy days when no one can hang out anyway. Ideally a dungeon shouldn't take you more than one or two days tops.

What arcana you should focus on when isn't really a big deal.

I've already put aside the notion of 100%-ing the game, but I'm still finding the number of things I need to fit into limited time kind of daunting- not really sure how to prioritize stuff other than just doing sports on the practice days, and making sure I clear a dungeon under the limit/as quickly as possible. Any pointers on how to deal with managing the social link aspect of the game? I can't really make informed decisions on what to pursue when I don't know what arcanas lead to what, what I'll need at any given moment, and which links are going to have more time and opportunity to work on.

Prioritise social links of your party members over non party members, but really, you don't worry about it at all on your first play through. Just have fun with the game. It's verf hard, if not impossible, to see everything on playthrough #1 anyway.

Sophia

Just as a general tip, most any day you can Social Link, you should probably do a Social Link, and try to go to dungeons on rainy days when no one can hang out anyway. Ideally a dungeon shouldn't take you more than one or two days tops.

What arcana you should focus on when isn't really a big deal.

To add on this, both Persona 3 and Persona 4 are designed so that any social link you can do at the time will provide you with viable Personas. Likewise, Igor will usually inform you if you try to fuse a Persona of an Arcana of which you have not established the Social Link in, and if that social link is already available or coming up. You really do not need to worry about that kind of stuff at all.

You can usually finish a dungeon within a few days in Persona 4. Early on it's a bit harder to finish a dungeon in a single day due to a limited ability to restore SP. But eventually you'll unlock the ability to recover SP + you'll be able to more easily get SP restoring items.

To add on this, both Persona 3 and Persona 4 are designed so that any social link you can do at the time will provide you with viable Personas. Likewise, Igor will usually inform you if you try to fuse a Persona of an Arcana of which you have not established the Social Link in, and if that social link is already available or coming up. You really do not need to worry about that kind of stuff at all.

You can usually finish a dungeon within a few days in Persona 4. Early on it's a bit harder to finish a dungeon in a single day due to a limited ability to restore SP. But eventually you'll unlock the ability to recover SP + you'll be able to more easily get SP restoring items.

Speaking of which, checking the vending machines is probably in your best interest.

Mediking

Oh yeah... Thanks for reminding me that the time mechanic in Persona 3 and 4 is dumb. I know its necessary to push along the plot but still...

Setsu00

Oh yeah... Thanks for reminding me that the time mechanic in Persona 3 and 4 is dumb. I know its necessary to push along the plot but still...

S.Links in their current form only work because of the time mechanic. There would be no challenge to them if you had infinite time. You are supposed to spend your time meaningfully.

Sophia

You weren't even meant to 100% max all the social links anyhow. Vanilla Persona 3 had no reward for it because they didn't think people were crazy enough.... :p

You weren't even meant to 100% max all the social links anyhow. Vanilla Persona 3 had no reward for it because they didn't think people were crazy enough.... :p
P4G does have a Trophy for it, right? I didn't even start some, but hope to do more in the second playthrough I'll do some day.

Lunar15

Man, I've been watching a lot of #FE stuff, and the presentation during battles actually makes P5 look somewhat outdated. Really great battle animations and really slick presentation. Also, the battle system itself seems like a pretty clever evolution of the press turn/one more system, what with sessions being a cool idea.

That said, P5 has a lot more going on outside of battle and I'm way more into the themes of P5 than I am #FE. The jealousy is a bit real, though!

Really though, I'm not sure if I can play two persona-esque games in one year. I'll have to see how the situation evolves

Sophia

P4G does have a Trophy for it, right? I didn't even start some, but hope to do more in the second playthrough I'll do some day.

It does. Every version of Persona 3 and Persona 4 since vanilla Persona 3 has gradually made it easier to max them all out. As

I managed to complete all the social links in P4G the first time without a guide, but I still didn't see everything. Don't worry about it.

... proved, it's pretty easy to do so even without a guide. Although still difficult if you're unfamiliar with the game.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
♫oooooh Shadow♫

I maxed out Naoto's S.link before Christmas.
You know what that means?!
Naoto in a girls yosogami uniform!

Mediking

Man, I've been watching a lot of #FE stuff, and the presentation during battles actually makes P5 look somewhat outdated. Really great battle animations and really slick presentation. Also, the battle system itself seems like a pretty clever evolution of the press turn/one more system, what with sessions being a cool idea.

That said, P5 has a lot more going on outside of battle and I'm way more into the themes of P5 than I am #FE. The jealousy is a bit real, though!

Really though, I'm not sure if I can play two persona-esque games in one year. I'll have to see how the situation evolves

I'm buying both. I already can tell Eleanora from #FE will be my waifu in that game.

Yeah, I've been really impressed with the general animations and attention to detail during the battles in that game, even with regards to things like status ailments. I can't think of another turn based JRPG that really compares to it on that level.

I do like P5's artstyle more though, and we don't really have that much battle footage from that game to actually compare.

Sophia

As someone who wasn't all that thrilled with the concept of SMTxFE, Genei Ibunroku looks fantastic to me. Definitely going to purchase it when it comes out in English.

Lunar15

Well, the thing is that we've barely seen anything from P5's battle system. It could turn out to be just as dynamic as #FE.

There was that really cool volleyball/nuke attack from the castle boss. So, there's definitely the chance. And there's still the stylish intro into all-out attack.

I think i'm still just in awe of #FE right now. Battle animations seriously look great. So much Atlus Style™ going on in that game. Even the idea of their special attacks using their celebrity signatures is pretty clever. I may not be too into the entertainment industry theme they've got going, but they didn't half-ass it, that's for sure.

Also, using this for a menu screen is anime as fuck.

Ibnroku_menu_background.jpg

MSMrRound

how do I catch up on all the P5 info so far? Is there any sort of masterpost that links to all the trailers etc.?

Persona Central by our community's own FluxWaveZ is considered very up to date with the latest P5 info.

You can also follow fellow PersonaGaffers such as Mystic (@MysticDistance) or Pepsiman (@iiotenki) as they are usually among the first few to translate some of the latest magazine info and stuff (e.g Mystic's fansubs for Persona trailers, while Pepsiman or Bobrossfreak translated quite a few of the Persona 4 Ultimax trailers).

I personally enjoy reaction videos a lot (especially when they are genuine emotions and not playacting for the camera), so this Feb 05 Persona Budokan Reaction to Persona 5 PV01 might get you excited as well.

I usually rewatch that whenever I'm feeling bored or tired from work. There's quite a few good reactions to PV03 (the latest Persona 5 trailer) as well!

Persona Central by our community's own FluxWaveZ is considered very up to date with the latest P5 info.

You can also follow fellow PersonaGaffers such as Mystic (@MysticDistance) or Pepsiman (@iiotenki) as they are usually among the first few to translate some of the latest magazine info and stuff (e.g Mystic's fansubs for Persona trailers, while Pepsiman or Bobrossfreak translated quite a few of the Persona 4 Ultimax trailers).

I personally enjoy reaction videos a lot (especially when they are genuine emotions and not playacting for the camera), so this Feb 05 Persona Budokan Reaction to Persona 5 PV01 might get you excited as well.

I usually rewatch that whenever I'm feeling bored or tired from work. There's quite a few good reactions to PV03 (the latest Persona 5 trailer) as well!

Thanks a lot, that's some amazing info!

I honestly think that the main theme is fucking perfect. 10/10 song for me, could listen to it for hours on end.

FluxWaveZ

It's interesting. Last year, the first issue of Famitsu celebrated the games to be released in 2015:
Looking at it now, and thinking back to how Sony avoided specifically pointing out Persona 5 as a 2015 game, I can't help but think some people high up were very aware the game was likely not going to make it.

This year, Persona 5 will be one of the games on the cover.

Lunar15

I have full confidence it'll come out in 2016... in Japan.

Pure curiosity: do we know when the next P-Mag will hit? Or have they not suggested a 2016 schedule yet?

Top Bottom