• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Mediking

I mean, even P2 is somewhat of a direct sequel to P1. Returning cast members and such.

What the hell is with me and double posts this week jesus christ.

If old Persona games can get actual sequels then why can't Persona 3 and Persona 4? Stop the spinoffs and continue the story. I'm really talking about Persona 3 because the way that game ends REALLY needs to be continued.

Sophia

I mean, even P2 is somewhat of a direct sequel to P1. Returning cast members and such.

What the hell is with me and double posts this week jesus christ.

It's why I'm not too opposed to having characters from P3 or P4 appear in future installments to some degree. Persona 2 proved you could handle it right without being a deterrent to the story.

It's also why the Arena spinoffs disappoint me so, with their
blatant lack of character development for the Persona 4 cast.

It's why I'm not too opposed to having characters from P3 or P4 appear in future installments to some degree. Persona 2 proved you could handle it right without being a deterrent to the story.

It's also why the Arena spinoffs disappoint me so, with their
blatant lack of character development for the Persona 4 cast.

That's pretty much why I want either one last P3/P4 game or none at all. After Ultimax, I don't expect to be satisfied with the treatment of these characters anymore.

If Arena doesn't have the same writers as the original game, I can see why they'd be hesitant to do any character development that's off from the original unlike EP which was a full fledged sequel with at least most of the same team.

And yet that's why the spinoffs fail in my eyes.

Zolo

If Arena doesn't have the same writers as the original game, I can see why they'd be hesitant to do any character development that's off from the original unlike EP which was a full fledged sequel with at least most of the same team.

Sophia

That's pretty much why I want either one last P3/P4 game or none at all. After Ultimax, I don't expect to be satisfied with the treatment of these characters anymore.

I'm all for spinoffs, but good god (ULTIMAX SPOILERS)
regulate the Persona 4 cast to sidekick territory where they belong. The best they could come up for why the P4 cast are even involved is "It's happening in our town." and "The town may or may not have summoned in that godlike being in the first place. Maybe. We're not sure." Absolutely pathetic excuses for a story.

Irregardless of who is writing it, they're still in the same company. Either be coherent or don't make it at all.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
if by the end of january we don't get any p5 news i will start a 2nd playthrough of p4g, this time to platinum (pretend its a bad thing)

they need to start talking soon as i'm sure this time it won't be delayed

PK Gaming

If old Persona games can get actual sequels then why can't Persona 3 and Persona 4? Stop the spinoffs and continue the story. I'm really talking about Persona 3 because the way that game ends REALLY needs to be continued.

Well, I've got good news for you because

126795329639.jpg

FluxWaveZ

Those are awesome, as are the others on the tumblr. That peach sure is... interesting, though. But hey,that's persona for you.

Actually missed some of them on my first look. Just saw the Robin one:
Alternate universe Genei Ibun Roku #FE, heh. If Atlus wanted to make something totally different and wild, I'm sure many people wouldn't have been opposed to actual Fire Emblem characters reinterpreted as high school kids in a modern day context, and who gain Personas.

Weiss

Banned
Actually missed some of them on my first look. Just saw the Robin one:

Alternate universe Genei Ibun Roku #FE, heh. If Atlus wanted to make something totally different and wild, I'm sure many people wouldn't have been opposed to actual Fire Emblem characters reinterpreted as high school kids in a modern day context, and who gain Personas.

Oh wow, that is definitely the best one. Reminds me a lot of the designs from P1 and 2.

Lunar15

Not that it matters anymore, but Atlus never did release PV02 officially, did they? Weird.

I still think the music in PV02 is the regular battle theme. PV03 is the boss theme. PV02's music will have vocals where the guitar is, but PV03 will not have vocals.

Not that it matters anymore, but Atlus never did release PV02 officially, did they? Weird.

I still think the music in PV02 is the regular battle theme. PV03 is the boss theme. PV02's music will have vocals where the guitar is, but PV03 will not have vocals.

Makes too much sense!

Also yeah, PV02 isn't up on their YT channel.

BTW, if you're handheld fanboy do not, I repeat, do NOT watch the trailers on Vita. They look so damn good and unless PS Now makes a big surprise it'll be a pipe dream to play this on Vita. :(

Sophia

Makes too much sense!

Also yeah, PV02 isn't up on their YT channel.

BTW, if you're handheld fanboy do not, I repeat, do NOT watch the trailers on Vita. They look so damn good and unless PS Now makes a big surprise it'll be a pipe dream to play this on Vita. :(

I dunno about you, but I'll definitely be playing the game on the Vita. Remote Play and all that. Perfect for being around the house.

FluxWaveZ

I think the music in PV03 is dungeon music, not boss battle music.

The date the final episode of P4GA will be rebroadcast will be March 26. I think it's worth keeping in mind.

Nachos

Revised:

Code:
[s]All people are&#9834; Wanderers from afar&#9834;<LINE>
[s]They pursue the self from here to there&#9834;<LINE>
[s]That is the cross that they must bear&#9834;
Maybe it would help to know the context better, but are you paying attention to the line structure? It definitely comes across as singing a lot more than before, but syllable-wise, you go 4-6-9-8. It kind of comes across as avant-garde. If there's a specific song that accompanies the lines, I'd suggest matching the two up more.

Final call's ultimately yours for word choice, but here's an example of a 6-6-8-8 revision:
Souls of kind truly are&#9834;
Shining hopes come afar&#9834;
Pursuing self from here to there&#9834;
That is the cross that they must bear&#9834;

But I also don't know know what your intentions with the new line set. Are you trying to match the original as closely as possible? I doubt the "bearing a cross" idiom exists in Japanese, which would make the PS1 version itself an obvious localization. Do you have access to a more literal version of the Japanese lines? Are there any other ways you can think of taking things? It seems like the song is just going over the universality of yearning for a real, genuine identity.

I think the music in PV03 is dungeon music, not boss battle music.

The date the final episode of P4GA will be rebroadcast will be March 26. I think it's worth keeping in mind.
I don't see it. Not with those guitars. It's too bombastic for something to be exploring with and doesn't really have any downtime in it. Granted, that didn't stop Etrian Mystery Dungeon in its latter half, but I'd hope Meguro knows to avoid that, seeing as how that half's also when EMD got super grating.

Have the same plan with remote play. Usually avoid remote play that require quick response but RPGs are more manageable. Completed ff type 0 hd via remote play.

FluxWaveZ

I don't see it. Not with those guitars. It's too bombastic for something to be exploring with and doesn't really have any downtime in it. Granted, that didn't stop Etrian Mystery Dungeon in its latter half, but I'd hope Meguro knows to avoid that, seeing as how that half's also when EMD got super grating.

To me, it doesn't sound much more bombastic than Long Way or Castle from Persona 4. It would also depend on the context of the dungeon (like, one wouldn't necessarily imagine where Persona 4's Striptease would play without the context).

I keep looking at March in regards to something Persona related:

• Persona 3 The Movie Finale Event.
  • Persona 4 Golden one-day ski event.
  • End of the Persona 4 the Golden Animation rebroadcast.
  • First month since December 2015 without a planned Atlus game release in Japan.
  • Persona 3 and Persona 4 were announced in March.
For point 3, I heavily doubt it's going to happen for P4GA, but I do think about the recent Steins;Gate anime rebroadcast which altered the contents of episode 23 in order to promote Steins;Gate 0.

If we take Persona 5 to be a summer release in Japan, July would be suitable, it'd be the same release month as Persona 3 and Persona 4, and an announcement in March would hit that magical "4 month" number we've talked about in the past.

Sophia

To me, it doesn't sound much more bombastic than Long Way or Castle from Persona 4. It would also depend on the context of the dungeon (like, one wouldn't necessarily imagine where Persona 4's Striptease would play without the context).

The tempo and structure resemble Meguro's usual boss battle themes. In particular, the structure is very close to I'll Face Myself -Battle- and Danger Zone. It even has the same style of bridge-to-refrain buildup as Danger Zone. Contrast this to Long Way, which has a different tempo, and lacking the buildup in question.

I find it very unlikely it's dungeon music.

FluxWaveZ

The tempo and structure resemble Meguro's usual boss battle themes. In particular, the structure is very close to I'll Face Myself -Battle- and Danger Zone. It even has the same style of bridge-to-refrain buildup as Danger Zone. Contrast this to Long Way, which has a different tempo, and lacking the buildup in question.

I find it very unlikely it's dungeon music.

I've tried listening to as little as I can of the PV03 song ever since that Soejima illustration video so I'm mostly going by memory, but I remember at the time thinking that it just sounded like dungeon music to me. Could be boss music (or even alternate battle music), though. We won't know either way until we know.

Hex

Banned
So I went out and picked up a Vita for the main purpose of playing through the Persona series.
Looking forward to it....will regret the slow climb but it is worth it.

Mediking

Man, Yu Narukami's Awakening scene when he first activates his Persona is so freaking hype and amazing. I just watched it again on my Vita and I couldn't help but get excited. Like I said earlier... I really hope the P5 main guy's Awakening scene invovles him screaming, "PERSONNNAAAAAAA!!!!"

Guess Who

Banned
I've tried listening to as little as I can of the PV03 song ever since that Soejima illustration video so I'm mostly going by memory, but I remember at the time thinking that it just sounded like dungeon music to me. Could be boss music (or even alternate battle music), though. We won't know either way until we know.

No way is that guitar solo for dungeon music.

Man, Yu Narukami's Awakening scene when he first activates his Persona is so freaking hype and amazing. I just watched it again on my Vita and I couldn't help but get excited. Like I said earlier... I really hope the P5 main guy's Awakening scene invovles him screaming, "PERSONNNAAAAAAA!!!!"

Yeah, it's little things like
Yu's primal roar of manliness
that puts it over P3's
brain hemorrhage in the making
for me.

FluxWaveZ

You know, I either knew this and completely forgot, or I'm just learning this now, but I had no idea that Vanillaware and Atlus' history was so tied together. Vanillaware was actually formed from ex-Atlus developers who worked on Princess Crown, after Atlus finished working on the game.

And Sega was the publisher on Princess Crown, back in 1997. I have no idea why I'm so late on this knowledge; guess it might have always been understated. Man, Atlus, Sega, Vanillaware... it's/they're all coming together.

Edit: That's actually blowing my mind right now. So...

1. December 1997: Atlus develops Princess Crown, published by Sega.
  2. February 2002: Members of the Princess Crown development team split and form Puraguru (later known as Vanillaware).
  3. September 2013: Sega acquires Atlus.
  4. July 2015: Atlus announce full publishing partnership for Vanillaware titles.
It's like they split up (though, not completely since Atlus still published a couple of Vanillaware titles before the full partnership) and then came back together in this weird way.

Edit 2: Reading some more, things are more complicated than that, too. I guess extra dates would be:
  1. 1995: A friend from Sega introduces George Kamitani to Atlus, who proceed to save the Princess Crown project from oblivion as Kamitani's ragtag freelance development team goes bankrupt. He is eternally grateful for that.
  2. 1995-1997: George Kamitani joins an Osaka based "Atlus Kansai" team. Some members also eventually split off from that Atlus team to form Noise Factory.
  3. 1997-1998: Princess Crown ships, and it has real poor sales. Instead of "Atlus Kansai" becoming a distinct branch of Atlus, it gets dissolved and the Princess Crown developers split all over the place.
  4. 2002: Puraguru is formed and they begin development on Princess Crown 2 (later known as Odin Sphere). The team is only initially composed of 5 devs, and only two members are from the original Princess Crown: Kamitani and programmer Kentaro Ohnishi.
  5. 2002-???: Vanillaware seeks funding from Atlus, who are kinda reluctant because they remember how Princess Crown flopped.
  6. ???-2006: The development of Odin Sphere proceeds smoothly, except for its schedule (internal delays, I guess). Atlus isn't too into that, so they end up delaying Odin Sphere because they don't want it messing with Persona 3 and they later refuse to talk about a future project with Vanillaware until they see Odin Sphere's sales. This kinda puts Vanillaware in a tough spot because they're out of cash, so that's why they seek funding from NIS and Marvelous AQL for their future projects, and why Atlus only returned to publishing duties 7 years later with Dragon's Crown. That leads us to now with Odin Sphere Leifthrasir and future Vanillaware titles, with the publishing deal from Atlus ensuring that Vanillaware won't be on the verge of going bankrupt all the time because of risky situations.
Really interesting history; gotta read up more on this stuff. Basically, Vanillaware and Noise Factory exist pretty much because of Atlus Kansai.

Sora_N

Sup guys, I guess I've been a Persona fan for a while. I bought P3Fes/P4 but never played them, until I got P4G as a gift when I got a Vita.

Still slowly playing through the game now after P4 Dancing got me hooked on the music, felt I should finish the game.

Someone on Craigslist was selling these so I had to have the Yukiko one. :)

I only have one of these, didn't really collect them but I guess I'm on a Persona and Nendoroid kick right now.

Sup guys, I guess I've been a Persona fan for a while. I bought P3Fes/P4 but never played them, until I got P4G as a gift when I got a Vita.

Still slowly playing through the game now after P4 Dancing got me hooked on the music, felt I should finish the game.

I only have one of these, didn't really collect them but I guess I'm on a Persona and Nendoroid kick right now.

Welcome to PersonaGAF. I'm sure we'll get along fine on at least one thing. :p

So I got a Vita for my birthday a few weeks back, and I remembered that for all I love it, I've never actually finished P3 all the way through.

I guess I can work on that and my P4G platinum while I wait -_-

That would explain a few things. XD

So I got a Vita for my birthday a few weeks back, and I remembered that for all I love it, I've never actually finished P3 all the way through.

I guess I can work on that and my P4G platinum while I wait -_-

Banzai

I completed Persona 4 Golden three times with the same file and just completed the compendium and I STILL don't have the "Nose doesn't always know" trophy (fusion accident). I got "Hardcore Risette Fan" easily in comparison. What to do?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I completed Persona 4 Golden three times with the same file and just completed the compendium and I STILL don't have the "Nose doesn't always know" trophy (fusion accident). I got "Hardcore Risette Fan" easily in comparison. What to do?

Save up some money, then randomly fuse in succession if it doesn't happen after 30 or something tries reload.
It's totally up to chance.

Welcome to PersonaGAF, we don't actually argue about waifus as much as the stories would have you think.

Nendos are a slippery slope. It's always just one or two at first, but before you know it you have 13 Mikus.

Pray for the RNG to take mercy on you. It's only happened once to me, and it never happened through three playthroughs of vanilla P4.

Drop

Fuse a lot, it's a random occurrence so that's the only thing you can do, but man, three playthroughs without one fusion accident? That deserves an achievement of its own.

I got it multiple times in each of my runs of p3 and p4, still haven't gotten one on my current p4g run though.

I'd almost consider yourself lucky, considering the amount of times I've had Igor mess up a really good fusion.

It's completely random though. Just fuse cheap Personas over and over.

Sophia

I'd almost consider yourself lucky, considering the amount of times I've had Igor mess up a really good fusion.

It's completely random though. Just fuse cheap Personas over and over.

If the numbers are the same between Persona 3 and Persona 4 (and all re-releases of those games) then the chance for a fusion accident is 1/64 for a regular fusion and 1/32 for a triangle fusion. Or at least that's what they were in Persona 3 anyhow. Special fusions never resulted in an accident.

cj_iwakura

Maybe it would help to know the context better, but are you paying attention to the line structure? It definitely comes across as singing a lot more than before, but syllable-wise, you go 4-6-9-8. It kind of comes across as avant-garde. If there's a specific song that accompanies the lines, I'd suggest matching the two up more.

Final call's ultimately yours for word choice, but here's an example of a 6-6-8-8 revision:

But I also don't know know what your intentions with the new line set. Are you trying to match the original as closely as possible? I doubt the "bearing a cross" idiom exists in Japanese, which would make the PS1 version itself an obvious localization. Do you have access to a more literal version of the Japanese lines? Are there any other ways you can think of taking things? It seems like the song is just going over the universality of yearning for a real, genuine identity.

For now I'm adhering to Atlus USA's translation and cleaning it up.
If you like, here's the original script:

Code:
<0003D1A4>&#9166;
<COLOR=YL>&#12505;&#12521;&#12489;&#12531;&#12490;<COLOR=WT><LINE>&#9166;
[s]&#20154;&#12399;&#30342;&#65374;&#9834;<LINE>&#9166;
[s]&#33258;&#20998;&#12392;&#12399;&#20309;&#12363;&#12434;&#27714;&#12417;&#32154;&#12369;&#12427;&#12289;&#27704;&#36960;&#12398;&#12373;&#12377;&#12425;&#12356;&#20154;&#65374;&#9834;<LINE>&#9166;
[s]&#12381;&#12428;&#12364;&#12289;&#20154;&#12398;&#32972;&#36000;&#12356;&#12375;&#21313;&#23383;&#26550;&#12394;&#12398;&#12391;&#12375;&#12423;&#12358;&#65374;&#9834;&#9166;
<END2>

I do appreciate the feedback, I'm not familiar with proper lyric setups, I just wanted to have it at least sound melodic.

You'll notice Atlus USA by and large didn't tweak things too much, especially punctuation, hence all the ellipses everywhere.

Fuse a lot, it's a random occurrence so that's the only thing you can do, but man, three playthroughs without one fusion accident? That deserves an achievement of its own.

I got it multiple times in each of my runs of p3 and p4, still haven't gotten one on my current p4g run though.

Godot is a total babe.

Top Bottom