• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

mapYok0.png
4YlFj0T.png

You already got your P3 sequels and they were awful.

Sorry, that's P4.

Even though it revolves around the actions of a P3 organization and left an open thread concerning a major character from that game.

P4 was attached cause it was more recent, but hey; it's not P4's fault it's self-contained.

True, but they're sadly still canon. Easy to ignore if you want to, but canon nonetheless.

The P4 guys are practically minor characters compared to the P3 cast in Arena. It's not any less a P3 sequel, just more direct of a P4 one.

Yeah, but you guys know what I'm talking about as a sequel, a real Persona game, a RPG, not a fighting game. So I gave a cynical response to a cynical reply, no offense Ludger Kresnik. lol

Lunar15

For some reason playing through P4G right now for the second time I'm finding the mannerisms of the main character to be hilarious. His slouched over "I really wish I was doing anything else" sitting pose, blank deadfaced stares, I dunno.

Yes, there's something weirdly endearing about his animations, despite being a "blank-state" protagonist. I think he's a huge reason I liked the game.

Yeah, but you guys know what I'm talking about as a sequel, a real Persona game, a RPG, not a fighting game. So I gave a cynical response to a cynical reply, no offense Ludger Kresnik. lol

I got you. I'm not sure how much of a story there is left to tell with the P3 cast, though. The Dark Hour ended and everyone dealt with their issues and moved on. They could just throw them into Shadow Operatives mission fluff, sure, but where would they take the characters? Characters developing through their struggles is the main appeal of the series, which is why P3 was so poignant and Arena... wasn't. The only exception to that was Labrys, a totally new character.

I may sound like I have little to no faith in the writers, but I think the P3 and 4 casts are played out by now. It'd be cool if they could actually produce a great, non-contrived narrative for these guys, but I'd much rather just have an Aigis sitcom spinoff alongside actually new things with room for real development and fleshing out.

FluxWaveZ

I may sound like I have little to no faith in the writers, but I think the P3 and 4 casts are played out by now.

Obviously, it's not about having faith in the writers or not. It's just that some stories don't need direct continuations and work best stand-alone. Any sort of follow-up would immediately dilute the first game's story, or would feel highly unnecessary.

I much prefer new, not old. Spin-offs are the perfect realm for ridiculous follow-ups that, to me, don't really impact the sanctity of the original games' stories.

I got you. I'm not sure how much of a story there is left to tell with the P3 cast, though. The Dark Hour ended and everyone dealt with their issues and moved on. They could just throw them into Shadow Operatives mission fluff, sure, but where would they take the characters? Characters developing through their struggles is the main appeal of the series, which is why P3 was so poignant and Arena... wasn't. The only exception to that was Labrys, a totally new character.

I may sound like I have little to no faith in the writers, but I think the P3 and 4 casts are played out by now. It'd be cool if they could actually produce a great, non-contrived narrative for these guys, but I'd much rather just have an Aigis sitcom spinoff alongside actually new things with room for real development and fleshing out.

You're probably right, is the reasonable thing to do: don't mess with what is already perfect/great.

I may sound like I have little to no faith in the writers, but I think the P3 and 4 casts are played out by now.

I think you can work another game's worth of development out of them, but the reason they've been stuck as caricatures is probably due to them leaving an opportunity for yet another 'next time'.

Sophia

I'd rather not have spinoffs if they have no idea where to take the characters in them. That's exactly what happened in both Arena and Ultimax for the Persona 4 characters. :\

cj_iwakura

I'd never heard of that. Well, we have the PS1 EP on NA Vitas at least. :p

I'm surprised, with all the fuss we've been making to get Atlus USA to localize it.

Well, we meaning like seven people. It's the reason I've got this couple hundred pages of script to edit right now. Thanks Atlus!
(Wouldn't have it any other way.)

QuadOpto

...Is it sort of bad that I really want to see a Persona 5 Arena shortly after Persona 5 comes out?

...I just really want to see how the dynamic between their team and the others would play out, even though we don't really have much more than a general idea of the Persona 5 Team for now.

...Also they'd finaaly have to re-design everyone from P4. And obviously the well-built and formulated re-designs of Persona characters is what we all really wanted from P4A/AU!

Sophia

Sorry, I think that one would be a bit tough simply because of the hair (there are a lack of options in Black Desert for that). I made Liz, though:

Check the Valkyrie for females, you might be able to make make something with that. There's a Mitsuru-ish style hair in there.

FluxWaveZ

Check the Valkyrie for females, you might be able to make make something with that. There's a Mitsuru-ish style hair in there.

The hairstyles are class-dependent, but there aren't any that I can really replicate Mitsuru's hair with. There's one specific one I could use, but the hair at the front covers the right side of her face, and not the left side like Mitsuru's.

Rock94

Neo Member
...Is it sort of bad that I really want to see a Persona 5 Arena shortly after Persona 5 comes out?

...I just really want to see how the dynamic between their team and the others would play out, even though we don't really have much more than a general idea of the Persona 5 Team for now.

...Also they'd finaaly have to re-design everyone from P4. And obviously the well-built and formulated re-designs of Persona characters is what we all really wanted from P4A/AU!

I don't think it's wrong to want a Persona 5 Arena. I'm sure Atlus will most likely capitalize on Persona 5 (as it is very likely to sell well) to make further games involving their casts, and another Arena game isn't unlikely. It be interesting to see the three casts interact (with redesigns for the characters from previous games as well most likely), and to play as the Persona 5 cast in a fighting game as well.

Sorry, I think that one would be a bit tough simply because of the hair (there are a lack of options in Black Desert for that). I made Liz, though:

The resemblance is very life like to Elizabeth. Very well done.

Sophia

The hairstyles are class-dependent, but there aren't any that I can really replicate Mitsuru's hair with. There's one specific one I could use, but the hair at the front covers the right side of her face, and not the left side like Mitsuru's.

There's one in the Valkyrie (I think it was?) that's probably the closest to Mitsuru. Had the hair on the same side and everything. I can't check tho, because I deleted the character designer already.

Class-dependant hairstyles is duuumb.

FluxWaveZ

I want another fighting game simply because I really enjoyed P4A and P4AU. But I want P5 to have time to breathe before it gets its own spin-off stuff.

There's one in the Valkyrie (I think it was?) that's probably the closest to Mitsuru. Had the hair on the same side and everything. I can't check tho, because I deleted the character designer already.

Class-dependant hairstyles is duuumb.

Here's a video showcasing the hairstyles; which one do you mean?: https://youtu.be/jAFtdWw3Njs?t=3m33s

I've spent too much time going through each one individually, so I'm fairly sure I never came across one that I could really use. I looked into trying other characters, too, but the hair is really a limiting factor for most of them. It also seems to be easier to create better female representations than male.

Sophia

I want another fighting game simply because I really enjoyed P4A and P4AU. But I want P5 to have time to breathe before it gets its own spin-off stuff.

I mean. I'm of the camp that Arena and Ultimax's stories weren't that bad, but there's no denying they need a fresher approach to how the cross-over the casts. Especially if they chose to include the Persona 4 cast, who just sat around and played backup to either Yu or the P3 cast.

Assuming P5's plot allows it, a sequel that's P3 and P4 vs P5 would be pretty fantastic.

IHere's a video showcasing the hairstyles; which one do you mean?: https://youtu.be/jAFtdWw3Njs?t=3m33s

I've spent too much time going through each one individually, so I'm fairly sure I never came across one that I could really use. I looked into trying other characters, too, but the hair is really a limiting factor for most of them. It also seems to be easier to create better female representations than male.

Second row, furthest one on the right. Make it shorter. It's the closest you can get to Mitsuru.

FluxWaveZ

Second row, furthest one on the right. Make it shorter. It's the closest you can get to Mitsuru.

Oh, that one. Hm... maybe I'm being too picky, but I don't like it. Aside from the amount of hair missing in the back, there's also too much in the front even if I shorten it. Also, it exposes too much of her forehead, which Mitsuru's actual hair doesn't.

I could try it, but the hairstyle is a big factor in character resemblance, and I'm not sure I'd be able to pull it off with that.

As I've journeyed through P4G, I've found that you can get models of the scooters for all your teammates and display them on your shelf.
What else can you get 6 models of? Mecha.

Persona 4 Mecha confirmed.

Lunar15

P3's story is one of the best endings in gaming. Any time they've tried to continue it, the results have been mixed. I honestly do not believe it needs a sequel because thematically, it's finished.

I really strongly adore P3 and P4's initial adherence to a single, thematic concept and seeing it through to its ultimate completion. Sure, there have been spinoffs, but those just are fun goof offs with the characters. Ultimately, the stories told within those two main-line games are complete.

PK Gaming

For some reason playing through P4G right now for the second time I'm finding the mannerisms of the main character to be hilarious. His slouched over "I really wish I was doing anything else" sitting pose, blank deadfaced stares, I dunno.

I feel you. I always get a laugh out of seeing him swing his sword like it's a goddamn plank of wood. I also like the mannerisms of various npcs, like that one kid who runs to school like he stole a fuckton of cash and he's being chased by the cops.

I'm having fun kind of imagining him to be a confused guy that people are magnetically drawn to for no reason and strange events just keep happening to him.

But really, the P3 guy had some funny mannerisms (like, just equip boxing gloves on him and enjoy the show) but they felt just straight bizarre and out of visual character but everything the P4 guy does is both funny and completely natural.

Are spoilers for Persona 3 allowed without tags ITT? IDK who it was, but someone posted untagged P3 spoilers up there. (Doesn't seem to be too important, but I digress.)

Oh man, where do i even begin. P3 Movie 3: Falling Down was pretty damn good, probably the most emotional to me. They kicked me pretty damn hard, i can't imagine how hard it will be to get through the 4th movie, it's going to destroy me.

I already like Aigis the most out of all the P3 character, and despite how much screentime Aigis got (and holy shit i was practically melting when Aigis chased Makoto down when still hurt and fell into Makoto's arms), i think i was most excited to see how Chidori and Junpei's scenes would go.

(I forgot to mention Ikutsuki's betrayal). Just like Reanimatoin said, Ikutsuki's betrayal and the crucifixion scene seems rushed, but seeing Aigis break free over Ikutsuki's control is something that i really liked seeing in animation. It shows the strength of her heart, even if she doesn't realize it yet, which is another reason why i like Aigis so much.

When you can see a character fully animated, it brings new life to their character. Junpei and Chidori's scenes felt so genuine, i know it's a spot that always gets to me in the game, but seeing it in the movie made me completely break down. Seeing Junpei facing Chidori and her eventually understanding that it was ok to fear death was extremely well done. And so was Junpei's "death" scene. One shot to the heart, him immediately collapsing over, blood welling up...it was much harder to watch, even already knowing that he would be brought back. Their shared unconsciousness and Fuuka's realization that Chidori was sacrificing herself to give Junpei her life...the tears were rolling. I loved this scene before, and i love it even more here.

And i actually like how the movie isn't following P3 100% of the time. It goes off-course and adds events or replaces them with equally great events. Such as Makoto's arc with being hurt by losing his friends and having to pull himself through it, Ryoji's initial appearance, Aigis' infiltration, Makoto's laugh (this was very special to me, considering his personality in the previous movies), just things like that. I think it was well done.

Now, i know that i said that Chidori and Junpei's scene was my favorite here, but the meeting with Aigis and Ryoji really connected with me. The way her memories came back, her ferocity against Ryoji to fulfill her mission, brought back many memories of my first playthrough at this point, which was an extremely emotional point for me when i first really latched onto Aigis and began to really care for her. I know the praise i'm giving this scene just applies to me because how much i ADORE the game, characters, and themes, but the rush from feeling all of this emotion yet again was really hard to go through and was really hard for me to process, making me feel overloaded. It's a huge part of my own personal reasons why P3 means so much to me.

I guess I must have had this in the back of my mind when I made the comment, but I just got reminded of this: https://youtu.be/01WpV6uDVKA?t=4m54s (P3 SPOILERS)

This is the first thing i thought when i saw this poster. There are several hints to The Answer already, hoping for a movie based around The Answer doesn't seem too far-fetched anymore

FluxWaveZ

March continues to seem to be where Persona stuff either ends, or is currently scheduled to take place in and not after.

1. Persona 3 Movie #4 Pasela Resort collaboration ends on February 29.
  2. Persona 3 The Movie Finale event takes place on March 5.
  3. Persona Q Side: P4 releases on March 9.
  4. Persona 4 Golden ski tour takes place on March 12.
  5. Persona 3 Escape Game ends on March 13.
  6. Persona 4 Golden anime rebroadcast ends on March 26-27.
Nothing for April yet.

daevious

March continues to seem to be where Persona stuff either ends, or is currently scheduled to take place in and not after.

1. Persona 3 Movie #4 Pasela Resort collaboration ends on February 29.
  2. Persona 3 The Movie Finale event takes place on March 5.
  3. Persona Q Side: P4 releases on March 9.
  4. Persona 4 Golden ski tour takes place on March 12.
  5. Persona 3 Escape Game ends on March 13.
  6. Persona 4 Golden anime rebroadcast ends on March 26-27.
Nothing for April yet.

So we're writing off February in terms of possible news dropping?

Fair enough, although I do think that people should keep their expectations in check and not expect new info on each date.

Lunar15

Fair enough, although I do think that people should keep their expectations in check and not expect new info on each date.

At first I considered February as a target for some potential info, but then I realized that last year's blowout was due to Persona Music Live, which isn't scheduled yet.

March really does seem like our best bet at this point.

The only one of those events that even has the smallest possibility of having new info is the Movie Finale event. And even then, if there was any news there it would probably be anime related.

Atlus only really has SMT IV F to push right now so really I could see P5 news dropping at any point.

FluxWaveZ

I've always thought March, if nothing else but because of Shin Megami Tensei IV Final. Also worth keeping in mind that that's the month when Persona 3 and Persona 4 were announced. I don't think anyone should expect any Persona 5 info at any one of those particular listed dates, though.

Poll #012: Will the end of Persona 3 The Movie #4 tease something? We'll be finding out in about 12 hours.

For Poll #011, I guess I'll go with the 64% who voted for something other than "Yes" being wrong, 'cause that Game Informer interview technically did have a few new tidbits in 2015.

Dantis

His art's kind of weird, but I dig it. Kanji looks hilarious.

I'm sure as hell glad that it's not.
It reminds me of Jojo art, but that might be because I've barely seen any Jojo art.

Either way, it's the first official illustration where Naoto is wearing a skirt, so that's, y'know, something.

Why do I love this image so much? Something about sexy Rise and Naoto with Kanji looking like an absolute boss.....ITS THE BEST!
U22EKh3.jpg

I like it as a funny one-off of sorts (especially that Rise <3) but I am not sure I'd use it for any cover/media. That said, I've only played P4G so I do not know if P4U has a different vibe that would suit this picture.

Top Bottom