• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

More P4U2 manga promo artwork

CZZqx4lVIAAeWn3.png

Classy ladies

This is my guilty pleasure

So what's up with that one scene in P4 where Yosuke randomly says they should get adult diapers when preparing to stake out Rise's place? Like, I get what he's sort of going for but that's like the first thing he thinks they should get. It's like, jeez Yosuke, keep your weird fetishes to yourself.

More P4U2 manga promo artwork

CZZqx4lVIAAeWn3.png

Classy ladies

This is better because it has Yukiko.

Here is a short but cool interview with Lotus Juice. He discusses how he got the job for P3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pGn26IbcBw&feature=youtu.be&t=5m25s

It's so surreal hearing him talk normally in a voice I've come to so closely associate with suave rapping about going gorillas bananas and connecting three dots to rectangles.

And he couldn't get into P1 and 2. Poor that.

So what's up with that one scene in P4 where Yosuke randomly says they should get adult diapers when preparing to stake out Rise's place? Like, I get what he's sort of going for but that's like the first thing he thinks they should get. It's like, jeez Yosuke, keep your weird fetishes to yourself.

Yosuke is a total creeper so it makes sense he'd have some of the more obscure fetishes.

KanameYuuki

I don't understand why Yu is able to change his persona while the others only had a true one and ofc the "awaken one", is it explained in the game?

I gotta say the dub is quite good on this game, I usually just go to jp and never gave English ones a chance, Kanji and Nanako are great as expected, but my other favorite has to be Chie, sounds like the actress was having a blast while doing it.

I don't understand why Yu is able to change his persona while the others only had a true one and ofc the "awaken one", is it explained in the game?

I gotta say the dub is quite good on this game, I usually just go to jp and never gave English ones a chance, Kanji and Nanako are great as expected, but my other favorite has to be Chie, sounds like the actress was having a blast while doing it.

All Social Links are bound to a tarot card. For people with Persona, that tarot card (Death, Judgment, etc.) is also their Persona's arcana. Yu's arcana is The Fool (0), which has the exceptional power of being able to control other Persona as well.

I am aware I'm beaten, but I wanted to clarify.

Guess Who

Banned

In-game explanation is "Yu's got the Wild Card/Fool arcana so he's special." Real world reason is:

SO IF THESE PERSONAE ARE THINGS THAT YOU BUILD BETWEEN YOURSELF AND OTHERS, IT IS EASY TO SEE HOW THE HERO MIGHT HAVE MULTIPLE PERSONAE TO UTITLIZE… BUT WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT HIS PARTY MEMBERS AND THEIR INABILITY TO HAVE MORE THAN ONE PERSONA?

HASHINO: That was a compromise we had to make for the game. The player needs to relate to the Hero more than the other characters, so we gave the player a tangible system through which they could manage all of the Hero’s personae. It is completely reasonable to think that, in terms of psychological personae, the other characters had various ones for when they were shopping, hanging out with friends, and doing a multitude of other things that the Hero has absolutely nothing to do with. We just couldn’t bring all of that into the mix because we needed some way to create a definitive separation between the Hero and the other characters, from the player’s point of view.

SO A SIMPLE WAY TO EXPLAIN IT WOULD BE TO SAY THAT THE ONLY REASON WHY THE OTHER CHARACTERS ONLY SEEMED TO HAVE ONE PERSONA WAS BECAUSE THAT WAS THE PERSONA THEY HELD FOR THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE HERO.

HASHINO: That’s an excellent way to explain it.

SOEJIMA: I… had no idea.

HASHINO: Did you really think the other characters were just one-dimensional? Of course they have complicated minds and hearts, just like us. We just couldn’t make that a part of the gameplay because messing with and controlling other peoples’ personae would have just been…

…WRONG?

HASHINO: Yes! It would have been wrong, for this game. There are a lot of RPGs out there where you can control every aspect of your party members, including what kind of underwear they are wearing… but because we wanted the player to relate to the Hero more than any other character in “Persona 3”, we wanted the other characters to feel like “other people”.

There are a lot of RPGs out there where you can control every aspect of your party members, including what kind of underwear they are wearing

I feel like that feature would truly have pushed P3 to greatness.

It's too bad you're playing P4G and not P4 vanilla.

FluxWaveZ

You guys need to get a hold of the Persona art books. The commentary and interviews in them from the devs are fantastic. The Persona Q art book will be released in English this summer.

Really want Udon to handle the P4A+P4AU art book. It's an awesome one, and I bet there's a bunch of info in that P4AU interview that has never surfaced in English.

Setsu00

You guys need to get a hold of the Persona art books. The commentary and interviews in them from the devs are fantastic. The Persona Q art book will be released in English this summer.

Really want Udon to handle the P4A+P4AU art book. It's an awesome one, and I bet there's a bunch of info in that P4AU interview that has never surfaced in English.

It's a real shame that the Catherine one was never translated. The interview with Hashino and Soejima is a great read.

FluxWaveZ

It's a real shame that the Catherine one was never translated. The interview with Hashino and Soejima is a great read.

Man, that one was a real miss, especially when we consider that Catherine was the most successful Atlus USA game until that point in time. No idea why that's the one that got skipped. Hopefully, we're past the point of Atlus games being so niche now that we can't get the high profile art books.

Still waiting on the SMT IV one.

I gotta get this one, too. Art books, at least the ones I get, always tend to get silently delayed. Several times, too.

We need the P4A+P4AU art book and the P4D one. Unfortunately, we'll probably only be getting the former in Q2 2017 at the earliest, and the P4D one either late 2017 or early 2018. Sometimes those developer interviews have some blatant hints regarding future games, so the delay kinda sucks. If we had gotten the P4A art book back when that was released in Japan, I would have been 100% convinced there would be a P4A2.

Setsu00

Man, that one was a real miss, especially when we consider that Catherine was the most successful Atlus USA game until that point in time. No idea why that's the one that got skipped. Hopefully, we're past the point of Atlus games being so niche now that we can't get the high profile art books.

I guess the reason might be that the book includes the entire script of the game. There might be some licensing problems because of that.

PK Gaming

The way I read it, it was just Yosuke getting excited about the stake out and blurting the first thing that came to mind, like your average dumb ass teen. That boy doesn't really know how to talk around people (especially around girls).

Thanks Guess Who

HASHINO: Yes! It would have been wrong, for this game. There are a lot of RPGs out there where you can control every aspect of your party members, including what kind of underwear they are wearing… but because we wanted the player to relate to the Hero more than any other character in “Persona 3”, we wanted the other characters to feel like “other people”.

I got that sense for sure in 3 more than in 4.

Mediking

Spoilers for P4G:
Does anybody know where I can find some great time skip fan art of the cast? I mean... there IS an ending where it shows how the characters age after all. I wanna see more of them older!

Spoilers for P4G:
Does anybody know where I can find some great time skip fan art of the cast? I mean... there IS an ending where it shows how the characters age after all. I wanna see more of them older!

Search through the character tags on Tumblr and Pixiv and you're bound to find something. I'm not sure if Pixiv has a specific tag for
time skip characters
so you might have to sift through some defaults.

Unless someone bothered to put together a compilation.

Mediking

Search through the character tags on Tumblr and Pixiv and you're bound to find something. I'm not sure if Pixiv has a specific tag for
time skip characters
so you might have to sift through some defaults.

Unless someone bothered to put together a compilation.

Thanks! Sadly... this is all I can find... Everyone's design looks SOOO MUCH BETTER with the
time skip.
maxresdefault.jpg

AND...
maxresdefault.jpg

Mediking

I just started watching Persona 3 the Movie: #2 Midsummer Knight's Dream and I wanna drop a few quick impressions:

1: I love how it starts! Hahah I really love how it starts.
2: It's animated VERY well! I'm super impressed
3: It's very loyal to the game!

But I hate how they're portraying Yuki aka the main guy. I'm not liking this at all. He's not distant (to an extent). He's not unemotional. He's not uppity. He's not egotistical. He's not moody. He's NONE of those things, Atlus!!! There's a scene of everyone on the beach and Yuki was just so dry and boring until Aigis showed up. I stopped the film immediately. I have my own view of how the main guy is and this version of him that's in the film is just ticking me off.

FluxWaveZ

But I hate how they're portraying Yuki aka the main guy. I'm not liking this at all. He's not distant (to an extent). He's not unemotional. He's not uppity. He's not egotistical. He's not moody. He's NONE of those things, Atlus!!! There's a scene of everyone on the beach and Yuki was just so dry and boring until Aigis showed up. I stopped the film immediately. I have my own view of how the main guy is and this version of him that's in the film is just ticking me off.

The version of Makoto Yuki that is in the films is how most fans perceived the P3MC. This is why he is portrayed that way in the films, and in other extended media like the manga, Persona Q, or those comedy comics. The developers claim they did not mean to design him to convey any active personality, but his body language, responses from other characters, and dialog choices in Persona 3 itself all contributed to this perception of the character. It also makes for a more compelling character arc and it fits with the themes and the character's background, which most viewers of the films seem to appreciate.

There's nothing egotistical or "uppity" about how Yuki is portrayed in the movies at all; if that's how you're seeing him, you're probably not looking at his actions from the right angle.

hughesta

Banned
The characterization of Makoto in the movies is probably the most interesting thing about him. The arc in the second movie about
him not wanting to go all out in fighting shadows because his power makes him special, even at the risk of the safety of the other SEES members
is something that was very briefly touched upon in P3 itself with Junpei, but mostly left alone. I'm really hoping the third movie continues that arc in some way.

please ship my movie aniplex

I just started watching Persona 3 the Movie: #2 Midsummer Knight's Dream and I wanna drop a few quick impressions:

I think it's tied to how the movies are
pushing Aigis as the twu wuv.

I'm a touch salty.

PK Gaming

Wait, did you not watch the 1st movie? His characterization in the 2nd movie is pretty damn consistent with the first movie. But leaving the movies aside, what Flux said is pretty much on point. Everything from how Makoto is portrayed in side material (manga, Persona Q, drama CD) to even his mannerisms/dialogue responses in Persona 3 point towards a specific type of person. Like... I hate to break it you man, but if you were expecting Makoto to be this cool and wild dude that bangs all the chicks then you're going to have a bad time.

So I've been playing P3FES until the early August part of the game and decided to just give P3P a shot and man, does it get rid of so many little annoyances that bothered me in FES. The day-change animation is much faster, you can see party member stats in the triangle-menu, the square-menu is super convenient for quickly going places, you don't have to watch the slow-ass monorail going every time you go somewhere on the town map... Everything just flows much better than in FES, so I'll probably stick to it, though it's a shame the cutscenes are completely removed.

Also the intro is epic.

By the way, does the Data Install option do anything when the game is downloaded on Vita, or is that just for people playing the original UMD version?

So I've been playing P3FES until the early August part of the game and decided to just give P3P a shot and man, does it get rid of so many little annoyances that bothered me in FES. The day-change animation is much faster, you can see party member stats in the triangle-menu, the square-menu is super convenient for quickly going places, you don't have to watch the slow-ass monorail going every time you go somewhere on the town map... Everything just flows much better than in FES, so I'll probably stick to it, though it's a shame the cutscenes are completely removed.

Also the intro is epic.

By the way, does the Data Install option do anything when the game is downloaded on Vita, or is that just for people playing the original UMD version?

P3P really does make the game much less annoying to play, but it's such a shame that they had to completely demolish the presentation in return. Please watch the anime cutscenes on YT because the crap they were replaced with does not do the original vision justice.
And I hope you picked the female MC.

I'm not sure about Data Install since it's been years I last touched my UMD copy. iirc around 500-ish MB are installed, while the game itself is 1.3GB.

P3P really does make the game much less annoying to play, but it's such a shame that they had to completely demolish the presentation in return. Please watch the anime cutscenes on YT because the crap they were replaced with does not do the original vision justice.
And I hope you picked the female MC.

I was definitely planning on watching the anime cutscenes later. Picked the male MC because I still consider this my first playthrough as I didn't finish FES, but I'm picking the female MC for sure on my second playthrough!

I'm not sure about Data Install since it's been years I last touched my UMD copy. iirc around 500-ish MB are installed, while the game itself is 1.3GB.

When browsing through the manual I read they're supposed to speed up load times, but those are already really short, so I assume it's for UMD players only.

Damn, so Yu is going to get a solo one?

Or with Minazuki maybe.

----

Where do you find these btw?

I just find them on twitter, i follow a fair few persona based accounts so they get retweeted a lot.

I hope the Yu art isnt the last one, Id like to see this artist do the P3 cast and the velvet room girls as well!

Real world reason is:

I love this about P3. Made the characters feel like their own beings than just game characters.

That's how he's been for the first movie too. He's been (end-game P3 spoilers)
harboring death inside of him for 10 years when he was still a young child, and has never had any real family to stay with after his parents died that night

It matches the themes very well, too

KanameYuuki

Alright I just defeated the final boss, I gotta say it was seriously easy, I had waaaaaaay more troubles with the last 3, I did it on 73 hours, I'm amazed how the time flies with this game, it is technically a game with time management but there is just so much content, heck and I'm still missing from Jan to March, and gotta love Naoto's Xmas txt mgs

"SEE U TOMORROW?
Y/N
PLZ REPLY ASAP"

So out of place from her and that makes it so funny and I mean it's for xmas eve, you can feel the urge, I don't even know what to think abut her gift.

Top Bottom