• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

WHAT KIND OF FRIGGIN SORCERY IS THIS, TATSUYA WAS MY P4G CHAR'S NAME, WHAT THR HELL IS GOING ON WITH THE MMO SLINK

I know it's a coincidence lol

daevious

Figures, it being called Innocent Sin Online and all.

Fun Fact: The original Japanese version of that S-Link referenced the original Megami Tensei series. Atlus USA changed it because it would have been way too obscure for an English speaking audience.

Tatsuya = N-jima (Nakajima, the protagonist, who created the demon summoning program to deal with bullies harassing him.)
Maya = Y-ko (Yumiko, the heroine and reincarnation of Izanami)
Innocent Sin Online = Devil Buster Online (This one's a reference to Megami Tensei II's game-within-a-game that serves as the tutorial dungeon.)

Fun Fact: The original Japanese version of that S-Link referenced the original Megami Tensei series. Atlus USA changed it because it would have been way too obscure for an English speaking audience.

Tatsuya = N-jima (Nakajima, the protagonist, who created the demon summoning program to deal with bullies harassing him.)
Maya = Y-ko (Yumiko, the heroine and reincarnation of Izanami)
Innocent Sin Online = Devil Buster Online (This one's a reference to Megami Tensei II's game-within-a-game that serves as the tutorial dungeon.)

Although at that point, Innocent Sin wouldn't have been available in English either

I am at the end of July, just started the void quest - love the style of it.

Oh my sweet summer child...

On P3P:

Just ended Floor 26 (the floor after the first trio of tough enemies in Block 2). I miss P4G's polish and 3D environments whatnot, but I love the music and somehow managed to get immersed in the combat. I need a bigger cast dammit, so far there's no character interaction at all. Not as in "P4G level amazing character interaction"- the characters simply do not interact between each other. It's pretty annoying but will hopefully be rectified when Akihiko's healed. Is there really no S. Links for individual party members or do those appear later? I wanna get to know Kirijo better, man.

On P3P:

Just ended Floor 26 (the floor after the first trio of tough enemies in Block 2). I miss P4G's polish and 3D environments whatnot, but I love the music and somehow managed to get immersed in the combat. I need a bigger cast dammit, so far there's no character interaction at all. Not as in "P4G level amazing character interaction"- the characters simply do not interact between each other. It's pretty annoying but will hopefully be rectified when Akihiko's healed. Is there really no S. Links for individual party members or do those appear later? I wanna get to know Kirijo better, man.

S.Links for the girls appear later on, none for the guys on Male route though.

Make sure you have Academics, Courage and Charm maxed out, otherwise you cant start the girls S.Links.

Setsu00

On P3P:

P3's male path has S.Links for the female party members (most of them require a certain amount of courage, knowledge, etc.) while the female route has S.Links for everyone in your party.

The group dynamic in P3 isn't nearly as good as in P4, if you ask me. It's one of the aspects that get mentioned the most when people compare the two games.

S.Links for the girls appear later on, none for the guys on Male route though.

Make sure you have Academics, Courage and Charm maxed out, otherwise you cant start the girls S.Links.

P3's male path has S.Links for the female party members (most of them require a certain amount of courage, knowledge, etc.) while the female route has S.Links for everyone in your party.

The group dynamic in P3 isn't nearly as good as in P4, if you ask me. It's one of the aspects that get mentioned the most when people compare the two games.
Thanks! What's the most effective way to farm Cha/Aca/Cour?

I know there are places (burger shops, desk, library, part time work, etc.) but which ones are better?

Will I know when S. Links start?

Thanks! What's the most effective way to farm Cha/Aca/Cour?

I know there are places (burger shops, desk, library, part time work, etc.) but which ones are better?

Will I know when S. Links start?

Café for charm and arcade for courage and academics was the most effective for me.

If you're gunning for Mitsy, you gotta wait until
November
and
have max academics

And have fun with your Kenji SL because Junpei doesn't want anything to do with you. :(

P3 dripfeeds you S.Links at a slower rate than P4 does and has more S.Links that require you to get to a certain level in another before you can start them.

VegiHam

Man, Xenoblade X has totally tempered my Persona 5 hype. If one of my all time favourite games can get a sequel that is pretty fun, great even, but not amazing then it stands to reason that Persona 5 may well similarly be a good game but not spectacular like 4G.

I mean, it's not that I didn't already know that; but I guess it hadn't sunk in. Persona 5 will almost certainly be great; but is it even possible for it to live up to 3 and 4?

Lunar15

Man, Xenoblade X has totally tempered my Persona 5 hype. If one of my all time favourite games can get a sequel that is pretty fun, great even, but not amazing then it stands to reason that Persona 5 may well similarly be a good game but not spectacular like 4G.

I mean, it's not that I didn't already know that; but I guess it hadn't sunk in. Persona 5 will almost certainly be great; but is it even possible for it to live up to 3 and 4?

To be fair, XBX is barely a sequel to Xenoblade. They were going for extremely different concepts, and only a few elements carried over. P5 is a lot closer to what P3/P4 established.

That said, yeah, there's always a chance it's not going to be as amazing as either of those games. So much of why we like things has little to do with the game's actual quality. Sometimes you're just never going to top your first experience with something.

Also, expectations color the way you approach something. If you're anything like me, P4 was a surprise: I hadn't read anything about it and just bought it on the brief reccomendation of a friend two years after it came out. With P5, however, I now have a set of expectations from my time with P4/P3.

They're also stylistically different, and there's a chance that style won't click as much as P4's did. P4 has a really nostalgic tone to it, something P5 doesn't appear to be chasing. Just like some people who prefer P3's tone to P4, P5 could be just the same. I think that works in the game's favor, but there's always a chance I might not prefer it to the others.

VegiHam

To be fair, XBX is barely a sequel to Xenoblade. They were going for extremely different concepts, and only a few elements carried over. P5 is a lot closer to what P3/P4 established.

That said, yeah, there's always a chance it's not going to be as amazing as either of those games. So much of why we like things has little to do with the game's actual quality. Sometimes you're just never going to top your first experience with something.

Also, expectations color the way you approach something. If you're anything like me, P4 was a surprise: I hadn't read anything about it and just bought it on the brief reccomendation of a friend two years after it came out. With P5, however, I now have a set of expectations from my time with P4/P3.

They're also stylistically different, and there's a chance that style won't click as much as P4's did. P4 has a really nostalgic tone to it, something P5 doesn't appear to be chasing. Just like some people who prefer P3's tone to P4, P5 could be just the same. I think that works in the game's favor, but there's always a chance I might not prefer it to the others.

Putting aside the fact that I don't think X executed its concept nearly as well as the original executed its own; my disappointment comes from expecting the same thing as going from P4G to P3P. I figured I'd initially miss the setting and characters I loved but enjoy the new stuff after a few hours. I ended up, just from the way X was structured, really disappointed in the setting and characters I was waiting forever to start really liking.

I feel really wrong for saying this; but I really don't want P5 to be fresh and experimental now. I hate to speak out against innovation; but I think what I actually want from the game is for it to be as P4 is to P3. I mean, overhaul the presentation and graphics and battle system all you want but I'm really hoping they don't mess too much with the structure that works so damn well. I kinda feel burdened by all these expectations of what I want it to be now.

Ultimately, I guess I'm just scared that they'll go for some kind of fresh ambiguity, or SMTesque storytelling through world development in sidequests, or something else I haven't thought of and I won't enjoy it. I suppose the only thing I can do is be realistic about what I'm excited about; because I won't do myself any good expecting a third Persona 3 if that's not what this is going to be.

Sophia

I'm not gonna judge Persona 5 on how it compares to past games myself. I'll judge it on it's own merits. It helps that it has a lot of things going for it already, like being a traditional RPG in an era of action RPGs and open world RPGs.

I've played through 3 and 4 so often and analysed them so thoroughly that I've stopped enjoying them as much as I used to, so I'm really just beyond ready to take P5 as its own thing. I'm not expecting as big a leap as 2-3, but I'm hoping they really shake it up in a big way.

xenoblade was already a slap in the face coming off of xenosaga, but persona 5 doesnt seem to be taking many risks. Which is a good thing. Everyone in the RPG genre is slapping together boring as fuck open worlds and shitty combat with 2/3rds of your party AI controlled (stupid P3). The fact that P5 is still a turn based rpg, still has full party control, and isnt chaining together awful open world fetch questing makes it easy to stay hyped for it.

Makio

Soooooo....Um.....
Even FeMC's home girls made the movie?!

I dont see why people made a fuss about (not you) but people in tumblr and stuff , i mean that made a lot of sense.
They exist in that
reality
simply Makoto dont meet them as
social links

But seeing how
theo and them
get "love" i feel sad for our fem burner of dread

daevious

I'm not gonna judge Persona 5 on how it compares to past games myself. I'll judge it on it's own merits. It helps that it has a lot of things going for it already, like being a traditional RPG in an era of action RPGs and open world RPGs.

This is the main reason I'm excited for Persona 5, it's going against several current RPG trends (albeit by sticking with what they know) that threaten to overtake the entire genre. I'm excited to see if Persona 5 becomes influential and what other developers take away from it's potential success.

and yet...

I feel really wrong for saying this; but I really don't want P5 to be fresh and experimental now. I hate to speak out against innovation; but I think what I actually want from the game is for it to be as P4 is to P3. I mean, overhaul the presentation and graphics and battle system all you want but I'm really hoping they don't mess too much with the structure that works so damn well. I kinda feel burdened by all these expectations of what I want it to be now.

At the end of the day, all I want out of Persona 5 is sick-ass phantom thieves styling all over my screen and I'll be satisfied five times over.

Dugna

Long as P5 has what is shown in the trailers so far and more then I'm good, I just want fun and familiar combat with tons of style. I mean thats pretty much what I got into Persona for, lots of style music to listen to during work and familiar combat, If I wanted super hard or different I would've delved into the harder RPG on 3DS and stuff.

P5 already seems to be treading the line of new and familiar very well. "Innovation" is a bullshit buzzword anyways, so let's hope we never hear any complaints about that kind of nonsense.

Yeah, Innovation is pretty much overrated I guess.
To clarify, I like games that try new things, but when people (particularly reviewers) complain about a lack of "innovation," it never seems to me that they know what they want. It's a lazy way to critique. Hell, it's a lazy way to push your game when devs start blabbing about their game being "innovative."

Hence, a lousy buzzword.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
To clarify, I like games that try new things, but when people (particularly reviewers) complain about a lack of "innovation," it never seems to me that they know what they want. It's a lazy way to critique. Hell, it's a lazy way to push your game when devs start blabbing about their game being "innovative."

Hence, a lousy buzzword.

Oh.

Sorry for miss-understanding.

Olengie

My feelings exactly. Been waiting for that different RPG.

On P3P:

I need a bigger cast dammit, so far there's no character interaction at all. Not as in "P4G level amazing character interaction"- the characters simply do not interact between each other. It's pretty annoying but will hopefully be rectified when Akihiko's healed. Is there really no S. Links for individual party members or do those appear later? I wanna get to know Kirijo better, man.

That's why it's taking me quite long to get through P3 for the first time. I almost immeditately liked the characters in P4 and I think the story also starts better. With P3, I don't have the motivation of great characters to keep me going, though I will say I start to appreciate the battle gameplay a bit more as a result. I know it gets better from the point I reached in FES, but it takes a little while to get there.

Ekai

MaleMC it is then, that last reply convinced me.
Thanks, all of you.

I would have suggested Female MC only. The Male MC is god-awful (imo anyway, I really do not like his writing at all, it's a huge step-down from how Tatsuya was written in P2 to compare male Persona protags.....tho P3 and P4's writing is overall a huge step-down for me upon experiencing P2 but that's another topic) and playing through the whole game once as him and then again just feels like way more effort than it needs to be if you really want to just compare the two. I would honestly just suggest doing FeMC and watching some videos on the male MC. There's no need to play the whole game twice over really. Especially since P3 starts to drag on in length as it goes on. It's still a good experience but it drags on at a point. Plus FeMC changes the whole P3 experience (for me at least) and elevates it to levels comparable to P2 anyway.

And needs. There won't be another female lead in the Persona universe. I guess.

As I pointed out earlier, FeMC was a rarity for Atlus. They've barely had any lead females ever in any of their video game releases.

Edit: 6 in total to be exact....and depending on how you look at The Answer (what with it just being an addition to the main-game and not it's own game itself), Maya is the only canon female lead in a mainline Atlus game who isn't selectable but is purely meant to be the lead of her own game.....that's a bit depressing considering Atlus's long backlog of games.

1. Maya from P2:EP (who is shaping up to be my favorite protag in any Atlus game ever by miles-with Tatusya from P2:IS and femc from p3p and potentially Flynn from SMT IV coming near her)
2. Femc in p3p
3. Technically Aigis in The Answer
4. Kei who had a selectable gender from SMT: Nine
5. Tamaki from SMT: If who like Kei was just selectable gender-but was made female in the Persona canon come P1/P2.
6. And Mirai (who is also selectable) from one version of one of the Devil Children games....and that's it.

It's highly unlikely they'll do anything with a female lead for a long while. That said, the Persona series has had half of the female leads that Atlus has ever created. So anything is possible.

I would have suggested Female MC only. The Male MC is god-awful (imo anyway, I really do not like his writing at all, it's a huge step-down from how Tatsuya was written in P2 to compare male Persona protags.....tho P3 and P4's writing is overall a huge step-down for me upon experiencing P2 but that's another topic) and playing through the whole game once as him and then again just feels like way more effort than it needs to be if you really want to just compare the two. I would honestly just suggest doing FeMC and watching some videos on the male MC. There's no need to play the whole game twice over really. Especially since P3 starts to drag on in length as it goes on. It's still a good experience but it drags on at a point. Plus FeMC changes the whole P3 experience (for me at least) and elevates it to levels comparable to P2 anyway.

You might be right but I clocked eight hours on P3P already. Don't want to start over.

And also hey, a legit excuse to replay a Persona game, I'll take it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I played off of P3MC's apathetic "personality" cause i was in a depression when i played P3, and the game helped me in many ways that would probably be too long to post here. I have quite the emotional attachment to the character, so even though i like FeMC, P3MC is the definitive protag for me

Goddamnit.

Restarting as FeMC. Better have those 8 hours wasted than wasting my first P3 experience.

edit: Man, the style. THE FUCKING STYLE. The OST changes are pretty nice for the most part (battle music is still as good but the school theme was a bit better for P3MC) but the best changes are in the battles. That leg shake thing at the beginning of every battle. That critical hit combo. That victory gesture finger shake. HNNNNG.

Just lost 3 floors of progress but it was so worth it to restart.

Mobile Suit Gooch

As I pointed out earlier, FeMC was a rarity for Atlus. They've barely had any lead females ever in any of their video game releases.

Edit: 6 in total to be exact....and depending on how you look at The Answer (what with it just being an addition to the main-game and not it's own game itself), Maya is the only canon female lead in a mainline Atlus game who isn't selectable but is purely meant to be the lead of her own game.....that's a bit depressing considering Atlus's long backlog of games.

It's highly unlikely they'll do anything with a female lead for a long while. That said, the Persona series has had half of the female leads that Atlus has ever created. So anything is possible.

Got any ideas why? Maybe out of creative reasons?

Setsu00

Got any ideas why? Maybe out of creative reasons?

Here's an excerpt from this interview with Masayuki Doi, the character designer for the Trauma Center series, SMT4 and its sequel as well as couple of other things:

-There aren’t too many female characters in Shin Megami Tensei IV compared to Atlus games like, say, Persona. I mean, there’s Isabeau and I guess Burroughs counts as a female lead, but why are there so many guys in this game?

This isn’t specific to Shin Megami Tensei IV, but to the core Shin Megami Tensei in general. Because the game is more about survival, on average male figures have a better chance to survive than females that’s why the games lean towards more male characters. Of course, there are very strong females, strong willed and females with strong physique, that survive, so we hand pick a few of those strong female archetypes to represent the female side.

-Hmm… interesting. Well, you do have a lot of female fans outside the Atlus booth waiting to meet you and I think some of them will disagree if you tell them they can’t survive an apocalypse! Would you like to make a Shin Megami Tensei game with a female lead?

I like female protagonists. It would be cool to have a female protagonist in the next SMT game.

However, there are traditionalists on the development team that see the series from the past to present and all of the protagonists have been male. To keep that tradition, there is feedback I’ve been hearing saying that if there is a new SMT title we should keep the tradition of having a male lead.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Here's an excerpt from this interview with Masayuki Doi, the character designer for the Trauma Center series, SMT4 and its sequel as well as couple of other things:

we should keep the tradition of having a male lead.

Negative_man.jpg

They can't even do a Bifauxnen...?

Top Bottom