• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Without spoiling too much, FeMC has 5 romance options. Junpei is not one of them. I would not suggest looking up why. I would also not suggest looking up who she can romance as spoilers are inbound for that. Like, seriously, major spoilers. She does have one romance path that generally seems to be viewed as "canon" (or at least as canon as FeMC can be : /) since it's the romance that more or less happens in the stage-play (and the one most people ship her with anyway) but you can romance any of the 5 dudes......there's one in particular I would highly suggest she pair with tho as it does change story events if you do the right things (plus it's a cute path) and one who I would suggest just being friends with because....yea. I didn't sleep around either but I guess that's up to you. The nice thing is FeMC can go down a lovers path or a friend path for most of her romance options. In the original P3 the male protag afaik could only date all of his romance options. He couldn't be friends with them. Not sure if that changed in P3P.

This reminds me I still haven't decided who is the best husbando in P3P.
It's between Shinji or Akihiko. But it seems Gakky is the most popular out there.

Without spoiling too much, FeMC has 5 romance options. Junpei is not one of them. I would not suggest looking up why. I would also not suggest looking up who she can romance as spoilers are inbound for that. Like, seriously, major spoilers. She does have one romance path that generally seems to be viewed as "canon" (or at least as canon as FeMC can be : /) since it's the romance that more or less happens in the stage-play (and the one most people ship her with anyway) but you can romance any of the 5 dudes......there's one in particular I would highly suggest she pair with tho as it does change story events if you do the right things (plus it's a cute path) and one who I would suggest just being friends with because....yea. I didn't sleep around either but I guess that's up to you. The nice thing is FeMC can go down a lovers path or a friend path for most of her romance options. In the original P3 the male protag afaik could only date all of his romance options. He couldn't be friends with them. Not sure if that changed in P3P.

I wonder when you'll be able to inform me of who this preferred romance is. Since I'll probably chronicle my journeys ITT you'll probably know. If I want to make a LTTP thread, when should I start? I feel like it's too early right now (just after the full moon).

In the original P3 the male protag afaik could only date all of his romance options. He couldn't be friends with them. Not sure if that changed in P3P.

It's the same in P3P. You gotta date all the gals.

Also, I'm assuming you're talking about
-spacefiller- Ryoji
? I never did his romance path myself, since I'm much too attached to Akihiko.

Ekai

I wonder when you'll be able to inform me of who this preferred romance is. Since I'll probably chronicle my journeys ITT you'll probably know. If I want to make a LTTP thread, when should I start? I feel like it's too early right now (just after the full moon).

If you get a bit farther, I would suggest not looking at people's spoiler replies to me.

This reminds me I still haven't decided who is the best husbando in P3P.
It's between Shinji or Akihiko. But it seems Gakky is the most popular out there.

I'm going to agree with Gakky being preferred.

It's the same in P3P. You gotta date all the gals.

Also, I'm assuming you're talking about
-spacefiller- Ryoji
? I never did his romance path myself, since I'm much too attached to Akihiko.

Gotcha.

I'm saying that's one he shouldn't look up specifically because of how spoilery it is. The one I'm referring to as changing story paths is something else.

PK Gaming

Blasphemy. Theo is best attendant.

tumblr_njn5w87e2q1qj3nlko1_400.gif

Lunar15

That's kind of the funny thing about "Waifu Dating Sim Game: Persona 4": The dating sim stuff is actually extremely half-baked. Before Golden added the valentine's day stuff, you could pretty much date anyone and it meant virtually nothing in game other than getting a specific item. I'd argue that P3 is even heavier with the Dating Sim stuff, because you couldn't even social link with your male teammebers, and the girls were all locked behind special requirements. If anything, P4 kinda toned all that stuff down. Game's got less romance than a Bioware game.

I mean, I get it: the social link system is clearly lifted from dating sim games and virtual novels... but in practice it's not really used to the same lengths as games in that genre.

That's kind of the funny thing about "dating sim game: Persona 4" The dating sim stuff is actually extremely half-baked. Before Golden added the valentine's day stuff, you could pretty much date anyone and it meant virtually nothing in game other than getting a specific item.

Game's got less romance than a Bioware game.
but whats there is done so much better than bioware, valentines day is the best though, with or without harem attempts

Date Yukiko and Chie at the same time so you can listen to their incredibly awkward conversations with them if you meet them in a dungeon.

That's not really a penalty either.

Not compared to P3FES where you can actually reverse social links by two timing the girls.

That was such bullshit, especially since you had no choice but to two (or five) time all the girls. Max SL runs had to be really meticulously planned around this nonsense as well as everyone's different schedules and the time limit.

I thiiiiink FeMC has an easier time overall maxing everyone's SLs? She has more of them during the evening and (sadly) no Maya eating up the entire day, anyway.

Blasphemy. Theo is best attendant.

This is undeniable truth. I'm sorry, I don't make the rules.

Date Yukiko and Chie at the same time so you can listen to their incredibly awkward conversations with them if you meet them in a dungeon.

Bring Akihiko, Ken, and Junpei with you to Tartarus as FeMC while dating the first two. The results are pretty great.

PK Gaming

That's kind of the funny thing about "Waifu Dating Sim Game: Persona 4": The dating sim stuff is actually extremely half-baked. Before Golden added the valentine's day stuff, you could pretty much date anyone and it meant virtually nothing in game other than getting a specific item. I'd argue that P3 is even heavier with the Dating Sim stuff, because you couldn't even social link with your male teammebers, and the girls were all locked behind special requirements. If anything, P4 kinda toned all that stuff down. Game's got less romance than a Bioware game.

I mean, I get it: the social link system is clearly lifted from dating sim games and virtual novels... but in practice it's not really used to the same lengths as games in that genre.

Golden does a decent job making your romantic relationships feel more real(?) and less dating sim-ey. Like, it's great how they added lines that referenced who you were dating (like flirting in front of your girlfriend during the group date), or minor stuff like dialogue changing when you talked to them at night or took them out to watch movies (being able to take your friends to watch pointless movies is one of absolute favorite additions btw).

There's also Yosuke telling you he's going to ask out Yukiko during New Years if you happen to date Chie... good stuff that doesn't even matter in terms of gameplay, but it's nice that it's there.

Should have picked Elizabeth as your velvet room attendant then =P

Don't think I'll be doing more than two P3 runs (given the insanely good closure of P4G which convinced me that I never needed to play P4G again), one for each MC, so might as well see the love for Theo. :p

Bring Akihiko, Ken, and Junpei with you to Tartarus as FeMC while dating the first two. The results are pretty great.

What?! Two-timing people has in-dungeon dialogue? HOLY SHIT.

Setsu00

This is worth the double post IMO, don't know if this was posted before but this showed up on my twitter feed

MY SIDES

CaJ1ulzUcAA_4l2.jpg

Soejima claims that the Gekkoukan and Yasogami logos were accidental, but I don't buy that. Even if it was accidental, I'm sure that the Shujin logo was done on purpose.

so, I got the latest ones in
Added Konohana sakuya, izanagi, teddie, P4DAN rise, and Yukari since the last I posted this. Cell pic since I was too lazy to get my camera out

still waiting to replace this 20 year old dresser im using as a stand. Hopefully I can get around to redoing that whole room once I refinish my floors

All of them but P3 and P4 are stretches to me. They use some very generic logo designs that are used in a ton of things. And P3's really only feels like a car logo because of P4's after it. P4 is really the only one that is blatant.

Lunar15

The Subaru one is also a stretch because both are just referencing the Pleiades star cluster, also known as the "Seven Sisters".

Guess Who

Banned
That was such bullshit, especially since you had no choice but to two (or five) time all the girls. Max SL runs had to be really meticulously planned around this nonsense as well as everyone's different schedules and the time limit.

I thiiiiink FeMC has an easier time overall maxing everyone's SLs? She has more of them during the evening and (sadly) no Maya eating up the entire day, anyway.

More from that Hashino/Soejima interview (the dev team didn't even think a max SLink run was possible, haha):

WHEN YOU INTRODUCE A SYSTEM LIKE SOCIAL LINKS, YOU ALWAYS GET THOSE PLAYERS WHO WANT TO MAX OUT ALL OF THE LINKS. HOW DID THAT NOTION OF MANIPULATING HUMAN RELATIONS FIT INTO THE OVERALL GAME EXPERIENCE THAT YOU WANTED TO CREATE?

HASHINO: In a manner of speaking, aren’t all social bonds a form of using other people? Maybe that’s just my opinion. (laughs) But I think, as adults, we have to admit that’s true to a certain extent. Still, speaking from personal experience, that doesn’t necessarily define an entire relationship. It’s possible that you will approach a person with a specific goal in mind, but once you accomplish that goal, you might find that you enjoy talking to them and being with them regardless of the fact that you no longer “need” them for the original purpose. That’s how some lasting friendships are forged, and I think it’s completely legitimate. Instead of sitting around saying, “I don’t have any friends, and I don’t know how to make friends,” just think about what you want to accomplish right now, and figure out what kind of social networking would best serve your purpose. Even in the beginning of the relationship feels calculated, you never known where social interaction will lead.

SO EVEN IF THE ORIGINAL INTENTION IS NOT FOR A FRIENDSHIP, YOU MIGHT END UP WITH A REAL FRIEND ANYWAY.

HASHINO: Yes, exactly. I once knew this young guy who would always complain about not knowing how to make friends. I said, “Who cares?” but I didn’t mean he shouldn’t care about not having friends; I just meant it shouldn’t matter how he made friends. Making friends isn’t all about success and failure; sometimes it’s just about making the effort. I think that’s becoming more and more important these days. In the past, we actually felt isolated when we were alone, didn’t we?

SOEJIMA: We don’t now?

HASHINO: Well, I just mean that being alone has become a recognized lifestyle now. It’s not uncommon to know someone who sits at home alone all day, surfing the net or whatever.

THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE LIKE THAT TODAY, IT’S TRUE.

HASHINO: See? A lot of people are alone these days. If you’re alone out of choice, that’s one thing; but if you’re alone simply because you think you can’t make friends, I think that’s a negative way to live. In this way, I think the Social Link system in the game mimics social networking in real life. You’re more than welcome to try and systematically max out all of your Social Links… though it’s not actually possible.

DID YOU INTENTIONALLY MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE?

HASHINO: Not at all. To be honest, I didn’t think about that aspect too much. If it was possible, fine; if not, that was fine by me as well. Toward the end of development, I was told it wouldn’t be possible, and my reaction was, “Okay.” That was it. A comment we get from lots of players is that they didn’t care about maxing out Social Links, but they were so intrigued by one particular character’s story that they felt compelled to strengthen that Social Link. I think that’s a totally valid way to go about it.

More from that Hashino/Soejima interview (the dev team didn't even think a max SLink run was possible, haha):

That makes them adding a reward for doing a max SL run in FES all the cuter.

What hurts the most is that

THERE IS A TERMINAL ON THE NEXT FUCKING FLOOR

There are terminals that let you warp back on every floor. Selecting the Tartarus entrance instead of the big terminal in the lobby will let you continue from the last floor you were at. It's only in the PS2 versions where your progress is locked to the big terminals.

Please make a note of this, as it may save your life.

That makes them adding a reward for doing a max SL run in FES all the cuter.

There are terminals that let you warp back on every floor. Selecting the Tartarus entrance instead of the big terminal in the lobby will let you continue from the last floor you were at. It's only in the PS2 versions where your progress is locked to the big terminals.

Please make a note of this, as it may save your life.

I knew I could use the smaller terminals, it's just that I was going for the big one and didn't want to repeat a floor.

Progress being locked to the big terminals is friggin CRAZY, there's a 10+ floor gap for some of them.

Done with Arqa, by the way. Time for S. Links!

Zolo

Progress being locked to the big terminals along with the 'tired' mechanic is sorta why the third one was closer to a more rogue-like dungeon crawler. You had to balance the positives of continuing on along with the possibility of dying and losing progress as well as any rare items you may have found.

Cornbread78

Been awhile since I stopped by here, but I figured this is the best place to ask. Have their been any hints at the new NA release date?

kOVTAp5.gif

I really wanna see this $hit in real time....

Progress being locked to the big terminals along with the 'tired' mechanic is sorta why the third one was closer to a more rogue-like dungeon crawler. You had to balance the positives of continuing on along with the possibility of dying and losing progress as well as any rare items you may have found.

I assume that's also why I decimated both bosses so far when all I did was run through the block once.

That said, some more spoilery stuff (including some nods to P4G):

I'm in love with the cast. The last half hour of the game was amazing. The main plot of P4G didn't hook me at all, in comparison, the few days before P3P's second full moon was top notch suspense and whatnot. Fuuko and Shinjiro were just introduced, loving both of their design and mannerisms. I hope we WILL learn about Akihiko's past, sounds to me like there's a ton of interesting stuff in there. Hopefully it's part of the main story (same for Yukari's father's death). Even JUNPEI is likable to an extent now. I think it's thanks to the amount of character interaction. So far, almost all days were people doing their own things (me no excuse, I kept going to some social links). Now though, with all the ghost story investigation stuff, the character interaction seems top-friggin-notch. It isn't the "hanging out with friends" interaction P4G had, but it's all for the better! If the plot quality keeps up, the "Conquerors of Tartarus" team could surpass the TV Investigation Team.

It shook me a bit to see some portraits used for the thugs, that whole atmosphere was incredibly alien- the game had no such atmosphere so far, and I haven't been anywhere so shady either. So it was a weird and somewhat humbling experience to see such a different side of Tatsumi Port Island.

No 3D environments or cutscenes hurts, it hurts a lot, but at least I have FeMC and party control. Just clocked 10 hours.

Top Bottom