• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Lunar15

So basically, they wanted to match or exceed Golden's amount of content. I don't think that's all that surprising, but sounds like it was rough getting to that point.

As for the social link thing, I'm not going to read into it too far right now. We've speculated for some time that "co-operation" would have more far-reaching implications than simple social links, and this seems to confirm that a little. Anyone who says they want to further the human element in the game is fine with me, as long as it's well written.

An eccentric character, but you might sense a different charm from him than you’d get from his illustration appearance. He’s a talented artist, and is an honor student in art.

Yusuke sounds better every time I see more about him. I'm guessing he'll be this game's adorable weirdo, which I'm all for.

PK Gaming

About Ryuji Sakamoto: He’s one to say “let’s change this world!” and pull the protagonist. It’s because of Ryuji that the protagonist begins his life as a phantom thief. He may be defiant, but he’s a nice guy. For this reason, voice actor Mamoru Miyano is a good fit. His Persona “Captain Kidd” is a good fit with Ryuji’s setting and episode.

Hell yes. I am so psyched I am for this character. I'm fond of the "bro" character, but it seems like the execution on his character will be different than expected and Mamoru Miyano as the voice actor absolutely plays into that. I really hope they get a ridiculously fitting english VA to match since Mamoru Miyano seems like he'll be a tough act to follow.

About Maki Ann Takamaki: She’s a quarter-American girl who returned to Japan, and while she may be popular, she doesn’t have any friends, and is a character that looks like she may stand out among her peers, but she’s actually isolated and lonely. Once she joins the party, she’ll take on the role of the life of the party. Her Persona, “Carmen,” has a femme-fatale side to her, and due to a certain incident, they join the protagonist and Ryuji to take on the other world. That said, she’s a character that will have an impact on the fate of the main characters.

I'm dying at the bolded. The "chick" of the group being the life of party is fairly unexpected, and I something i'm thrilled to see. Really turning around on her.

About Yusuke Kitagawa: An eccentric character, but you might sense a different charm from him than you’d get from his illustration appearance. He’s a talented artist, and is an honor student in art.

Oh, Yusuke is going to be a fun character for sure.

There will be a similar system to “Social Link.” With the question of how to make communication for the characters of Persona 5 into a driving force, Hashino hopes to see it go a step higher in the human relation part of things than what we saw in the Social Link of Persona 3 and Persona 4.

No comment.

Sophia

Ann may be the only female character revealed right now, but she's very quickly becoming one of my favorites in the franchise.

Dantis

Oh hello there.

Not sure how to take this new information. My first thought was that Yusuke sounds cool if he's all eccentric and weird, but I guess it depends how it's done? My concern is still that he'll be too much like Jun, but he sounds the most interesting of the characters to me.

As far as Ann and Ryuji go, I don't think there are any surprises here. Ryuji sounds like he's a variation of the same kind of character as Yosuke and Junpei, and Ann sounds like the same kind of character as Rise and Yukari. There'd be some variance in the specificity, obviously, but it's no way near the leap that it could have been.

Lusankya

Ann may be the only female character revealed right now, but she's very quickly becoming one of my favorites in the franchise.

Apropos female, we still don't know Morgana's gender for sure, right?
I think she should be female, just because of the ratio between male and female characters.

Theodoricos

Yusuke is definitely the guy who sounds the most intriguing to me. That said, I still haven't gotten round to playing the Persona 2 duology, so I wouldn't know how similar he is to Jun.

The others don't sound that much different from other characters in Persona 3/4 to be honest.

Makio

Apropos female, we still don't know Morgana's gender for sure, right?
I think she should be female, just because of the ratio between male and female characters.

I dont know but at least in the translation Persona Central put of this interview mentions Morgana as a she a couple of times

Zolo

I dont know but at least in the translation Persona Central put of this interview mentions Morgana as a she a couple of times

I go under the assumption that all Morgana references in Japanese are basically "it", and that "she" is a liberty taken by translators now.

FluxWaveZ

The Siliconera translation still refers to Morgana as a "she," but the official line is that its gender has not been stated yet.

Makio

I see i dont know why some people is fixed with that , i mean unless she / he get a human form at some point
which is totally happening
i dont see the big deal, is a cat and end of the story.

(We need more female characters tho... Ann can be could cool and all but i always loved the balance between girls and dudes in the previous teams).

I see i dont know why some people is fixed with that , i mean unless she / he get a human form at some point
which is totally happening
i dont see the big deal, is a cat and end of the story.

(We need more female characters tho... Ann can be could cool and all but i always loved the balance between girls and dudes in the previous teams).
they've already alluded to their being a lot of characters unrevealed. I'm not too worried about it, and I much prefer female character stories.
damnit FFXV

Setsu00

Truth to be told, I believe it might be intentional. We go in expecting something similar to what we know and then they can surprise us with characters different from what we expected.

To quote Gematsu's translation of Hashino's interview:
Many of the characters are labeled, or look at things from a biased point of view and such, and are spending their days unhappily, feeling that it can’t be helped and don’t fit in. Breaking the status quo, rising up, and coming alive is how the introduction will develop.

I'm pretty sure that it's intentional.

_Ryo_

This might sound weird but
I hope there is a good in game explanation for all the shadowy faces on the NPCs.

I know realistically the IRL explanation is that it is probably because its a much more mordern game, NPCs take a lot longer to create and having tons of unique faces would be burdensome.
Still... if there isnt an in game reason, its gonna take me out of it a bit.

Theodoricos

Truth to be told, I believe it might be intentional. We go in expecting something similar to what we know and then they can surprise us with characters different from what we expected.

I remember finishing P3 for the first time, loving it and then looking at P4's cover and thinking "ugh, these guys look so generic". That's why it took me a whole year until I tried the game.

I'm so glad I was proven wrong, so I hope that P5 will surprise me in a similar way too.

This might sound weird but
I hope there is a good in game explanation for all the shadowy faces on the NPCs.

I know realistically the IRL explanation is that it is probably because its a much more mordern game, NPCs take a lot longer to create and having tons of unique faces would be burdensome.
Still... if there isnt an in game reason, its gonna take me out of it a bit.

Maybe our crew (or at least the Phantom) is a bit more apathetic about the common man than our previous heroes have been? They either don't pay attention to individuals, or don't think too highly of them.

FluxWaveZ

Maybe our crew (or at least the Phantom) is a bit more apathetic about the common man than our previous heroes have been? They either don't pay attention to individuals, or don't think too highly of them.

Other than technical limitations, I think it's more of a commentary on how you're not going to specifically notice or remember each individual face you see out in public. The masses blur into the background, and you'll only really come to notice the faces of people who resonate with you or who you have a certain bond with.

Inaba's a small town. In that sense, it'd be easier to identify the people you come across living in a place like that. Tokyo, on the other side, is a large place filled with a large amount of people, which Persona 5 seeks to convey as opposed to Persona 3 which didn't really model that many people in one place at once, despite being a big city.

The last moment of PV 03 chills me to the bone. The part where An shouts "We'll steal all that there is to you!" and the MC, bruised face and all, grins.

It sounds somewhat villainous to me. Do we know if the protagonist is silent this time around?

Theodoricos

Other than technical limitations, I think it's more of a commentary on how you're not going to specifically notice or remember each individual face you see out in public. The masses blur into the background, and you'll only really come to notice the faces of people who resonate with you or who you have a certain bond with.

I would say it's just a stylistic choice. I'd be pleased if what you say was touched upon as an actual theme of the game though, because that's a really good justification for it.

FluxWaveZ

I would say it's just a stylistic choice. I'd be pleased if what you say was touched upon as an actual theme of the game though, because that's a really good justification for it.

Doubt it's something they'd actually go over in the game. Sounds more like something Hashino/Soejima would say in the interview section of the inevitable Persona 5 art book.

Realistically, just like Genei Ibun Roku #FE having colored silhouettes for the characters walking around in the city, I think it's just a way to stylistically disguise technical limitations, since rendering all those models together in a large environment would probably be more resource intensive and time consuming than it's worth.

daevious

Realistically, just like Genei Ibun Roku #FE having colored silhouettes for the characters walking around in the city, I think it's just a way to stylistically disguise technical limitations, since rendering all those models together in a large environment would probably be more resource intensive and time consuming than it's worth.

This approach also has the advantage of looking better than if they bothered to properly model NPCs in the first place.

http://p-ch.jp/enquete2016/

Few interesting things on Atlus's survey this year.

Questions about Strange Journey, which seemed kind of odd with how old it is, all the other games given were newer.

A bit of focus on whether you prefer silent/voiced/customisable/pre-designed protagonists.

Some questions about whether you'd like smartphone ports/to play games on smartphones.

Etrian 5 confirmed for 3DS, also seemed to be called Etrian Odyssey 5, rather than the Japanese name.

Question about day 1 purchase bonuses. On top of the usual offerings that Atlus often gives, free demos was mentioned

Question on how you'd like remakes of old games to be handled, with regards to changing the story/adding content/changing artwork/bgm/mechanics

It would just be resource limitations, not technical. Those kinds of crowds are doable now, but are a huge waste of time for a developer. Just ask ubisoft

Some questions about whether you'd like smartphone ports/to play games on smartphones.

That's pretty interesting, I wouldn't mind playing some SMT games on my phone, being able to play things on the go is nice.

Didn't some of the earlier Persona games already get a port? A part of me thinks they did but I might be misremembering.

That's pretty interesting, I wouldn't mind playing some SMT games on my phone, being able to play things on the go is nice.

Didn't some of the earlier Persona games already get a port? A part of me thinks they did but I might be misremembering.

There were quite a few spinoff/tie in/sequel Persona games on mobile. I don't think any were direct ports though.

SMT I, II and If... have IOS ports.

IIRC though, there was a similar focus on mobile in last year's survey, and nothing has come of that yet.

Lunar15

Part of me wonders if Atlus will release an app in japan that looks like the Palace app used in P5. I could see them doing that as a promotion.

Aren't Western RPGs 'Action RPGs'?

Edit: And now I remember X-Com for Turn-Based Strategy RPG'.
and Banner Saga...

Guess it just proves JRPG is more a question of tone and content, not gameplay style.
on american forums you will see tales of, persona, valkyria chronicles, etrian odyssey all called JRPGs and lumped together as somehow one genre.

western RPGs will get referred to by specific genres and the few times "western RPG" is stated its only referring to place of origin, and sometimes tone

Is that them considering swapping platforms for the next SMT game? Choice between PS4, Vita, smartphones and 3DS...hmm...

Easy decision of Vita for me. Love the damn system and I'll take any and all MegaTen on it.

edit: Is there even a single MegaTen game out there that the Vita can't run (hypothetically)? PS2 games are possible, and so is DS/3DS/SNES era stuff.

Persona 5 seems to be the only one, no?

_Ryo_

Okay, in the other thread I learned about Aegis: The First Mission. I just now watched some videos and I'm kind of retroactively pissed.

How could a cellphone (javaphone?) game Persona game be rendered in full 3D, yet the version on the PSP is only 3D in the dungeons? I don't understand that. Cellphones at that time most likely had much more limitations when it came to storage capacity, and processing power than the beast that was the psp. Someone explain this to me because it just seems so unfair that we didn't get the full experience. Even if there were mega storage limits, why didn't atlus use multiple umds or do a digital only release?

/s

But for real, I am Persona starved, can't you tell?

FluxWaveZ

Okay, in the other thread I learned about Aegis: The First Mission. I just now watched some videos and I'm kind of retroactively pissed.

How could a cellphone (javaphone?) game Persona game be rendered in full 3D, yet the version on the PSP is only 3D in the dungeons? I don't understand that. Cellphones at that time most likely had much more limitations when it came to storage capacity, and processing power than the beast that was the psp. Someone explain this to me because it just seems so unfair that we didn't get the full experience. Even if there were mega storage limits, why didn't atlus use multiple umds or do a digital only release?

I actually cannot tell if you're being serious.

Top Bottom