• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

yuuki

Is there any hope for Caligula to turn out good? The company's history doesn't fill me with hope.

why is that most of there games that werent anime/licenced games actually turned out fairly good. In case of Legend of legacy most people dont seem to like it since they expected and second breavely default when it is more along the line of Saga.

Ekai

Okay, so. I know I'm late to the party but really? THAT'S the antagonist behind the Arena series? Really? It makes no sense with the demon in question. Not to mention how similar he is to
Nyarlathotep
from Persona 1 and the 2 duology. Like seriously, the similarities are so overbearing that I expected a
Nyarly
reference or for him to be the true antagonist of the Arena games plot. But nope. It didn't happen.

Instead we got
Kagutsuchi

C/P from a post I saw elsewhere:
What other character transmogrifies its appearance for his machinations? What other character does not actively fight, but rather exploits naive humans to achieve his goals (Kandori, Jun, etc?) What other character is capable of creating false Shadows? What other character collected energy from the protagonists? What other malevolent character has near omniscient knowledge of the characters and their struggles? What other character played the role of a parent, feigning to want what is best for the child (in this case, Labrys?) What other character was fond of contradictions, right down to using Labrys who was built on a "self contradicting foundation?""

Not to mention
Sho's theme is literally called The Joker.

This whole game feels like Atlus taunting and mocking fans of the older Persona games. Just, ugh. I enjoy the combat mechanics but geez is this writing just atrocious/a blatant rip-off of past mythos applied to a new demon that it just doesn't make sense with.

Okay, so. I know I'm late to the party but really? THAT'S the antagonist behind the Arena series? Really? It makes no sense with the demon in question. Not to mention how similar he is to
Nyarlathotep
from Persona 1 and the 2 duology. Like seriously, the similarities are so overbearing that I expected a
Nyarly
reference or for him to be the true antagonist of the Arena games plot. But nope. It didn't happen.

Instead we got
Kagutschi

C/P from a post I saw elsewhere:
What other character transmogrifies its appearance for his machinations? What other character does not actively fight, but rather exploits naive humans to achieve his goals (Kandori, Jun, etc?) What other character is capable of creating false Shadows? What other character collected energy from the protagonists? What other malevolent character has near omniscient knowledge of the characters and their struggles? What other character played the role of a parent, feigning to want what is best for the child (in this case, Labrys?) What other character was fond of contradictions, right down to using Labrys who was built on a "self contradicting foundation?""

Not to mention
Sho's theme is literally called The Joker.

This whole game feels like Atlus taunting and mocking fans of the older Persona games. Just, ugh. I enjoy the combat mechanics but geez is this writing just atrocious/a blatant rip-off of past mythos applied to a new demon that it just doesn't make sense with.

Not just
Nyarly
Nyarly
that looks like
Erebus on fire, which is a whole other waste

The rage is palpable, I only hope the way I work it out is half good.

edit:

A.
They planned to use Nyarly, but backed out at the last minute out of respect for Tadashi(who probably would've said HELL NO)

Never forget.

cj_iwakura

Regarding those Arena spoilers, it's either one of two things:

A.
They planned to use Nyarly, but backed out at the last minute out of respect for Tadashi(who probably would've said HELL NO)

Or B.
It was a giant troll and just bad writing.

The voice actors were the same, too, adding insult to injury.

Ekai

Not just
Nyarly
Nyarly
that looks like
Erebus on fire, which is a whole other waste

The rage is palpable, I only hope the way I work it out is half good.

edit:

Never forget.

Didn't even think about the waste of Erebus.

Not sure what you mean with the work it out bit.

That video is amazing. Just, yes.

A.

Or B.

I'd love to believe A but part of me leans heavily onto B.

And you know, in a roundabout way, part of me is okay with it not being
Nyarly
because the writing is just...not great. Especially in comparison to the heights of the writing in the games he comes from. That said I was still hyped for a
Nyarly
comeback as it may have opened the door for acknowledging the past games in the Persona series and potentially revisiting those casts. Plus he's a great villain. All signs pointed to it being him afterall. But nope. That didn't happen. Instead we
got Nyarly's mythos applied to a demon that makes no sense to have that mythos attached to it.
Like I said, just feels like a slap in the face to fans of the past games in the series. May not be what they intended if A were true but it feels that way all the same.

I don't think they get a free pass on not using
Nyarly
cause their writing quality is shoddy.
If they used
him
and tainted his glorious legacy, we could still ignore it, like what I'm doing already.

True. Though the fact Atlus considers the arena games canon feels like they're just saying fuck
Nyarly's
legacy anyway.

They get one arena game. And the bullshit they pulled with Ultimax is why I didn't get DAN.

I mean... I probably wasn't going to get it anyway, but they're free to think that.

Ekai

I don't think they get a free pass on not using
Nyarly
cause their writing quality is shoddy.
If they used
him
and tainted his glorious legacy, we could still ignore it, like what I'm doing already.

True. Though the fact Atlus considers the arena games canon feels like they're just saying fuck
Nyarly's
legacy anyway.

What exactly is Trinity Soul. P3 sequel? The description I read mentioned Apathy Syndrome.

Also how do hama/mudo work as weeknesses? do the attacks have a higher chance of working as opposed to non hama/mudo weekness?

yuuki

What exactly is Trinity Soul. P3 sequel? The description I read mentioned Apathy Syndrome.

Also how do hama/mudo work as weeknesses? do the attacks have a higher chance of working as opposed to non hama/mudo weekness?

if the enemy has an hama/mudo weakness its an instant kill most of the time.

A.

Or B.

Ultimax doesn't really feel like what was being set up at the end of Arena. My theory would be that they didn't actually have a clear plan as to where to go with it at the time,
malevolent entities identity included.
They just left a few things open for if/when they did decide to do a sequel.

Ultimax doesn't really feel like what was being set up at the end of Arena. My theory would be that they didn't actually have a clear plan as to where to go with it at the time,
malevolent entities identity included.
They just left a few things open for if/when they did decide to do a sequel.

And then the update came and they said "well damn, looks like we need to add something to this!"

Setsu00

Didn't the writing team entirely change between Arena and Ultimax?

EDIT: Research says no, actually, basically all the same people.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but as far as I remember Ultimax had about six writers while Arena had two. Ultimax probably suffered a lot from their ambitious plan to release four Persona games within one year.

FluxWaveZ

Is this real? Apparently, a message from Ryuji's voice actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI5YhfdZjSM

From Persona Stalker Club episode 23 on January 29, 2016.

I spoke of this previously:
There's this theory on 2ch that the Persona Stalker Club, Persona 5 VA segments that have started recently are an indication of when new Persona 5 news will come about.

PSC 22 in December 2015 = Morgana (Ikue Ōtani)
PSC 23 in January 2016 = Ryuji (Mamoru Miyano)

The theory proposes that all of the characters will be covered in their own VA segments, which would mean the P5 PSC segments would end at the end of April 2016.

I think that's too late, though. So what I think is that, if there's some truth to this, the PSC VA segments are only covering the initial 3 party members, which would mean Morgana, Ryuji, and the MC himself. So, I think that the Protagonist (Jun Fukuyama) will have his segment for this month's episode, which will lead into March for news.
Subbed version of Morgana's segment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fSkAwDHd8k

Zolo

Ah, okay. I figured it was real since the voice actor sounded the same, but I wasn't sure why it was put up. Thanks.

kiyoaki

No idea whether this is real or not (apparently, it's from Persona Stalker Club?). But if it is, uh, he makes his character kind of sound like a mixture between Kanji and Yosuke.

EDIT: Beaten. Maybe I should start following PSC again.

Thanks to the magic of Youtube's auto caption feature mixed with auto translate, I can reveal what was said in that video.

"Please refer to the club Trust. Walk-off victory. Also economy through is told the 10th public. It is Yujiteneko. It is also a rough language, is strong per such. Here to think of something. Kedomo, I also got a place which is e kiln. Hero. It became positive. There is a lot of thought, it has become a little tea eyes that was languishing on the floor was also or say whether kap po that stupid. There was created a since only cute there can all means everyone fun. I went by myself for the first time that we thought that after the depth of that story can then continue to engage in Persona. It was terribly done with the charm of that character is what it is amended that I was allowed to China in the fun. Please wait to enjoy some users of everyone. Volunteer to change jobs who was Hinomaru. Bye bye."

Please support my future translating endeavours.

From Persona Stalker Club episode 23 on January 29, 2016.

I spoke of this previously:

Subbed version of Morgana's segment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fSkAwDHd8k

Holy shit I was like "Is THIS Morgana?" to "OH SHIT SHE GODDAMN IS"

Also:

"Please, grasp the future with your own hands."

get
h y p e

BTW, headcanon for P3P (SPOILERS):

I was either spoiled long ago or subconsciously sure that the Dark Hour is stopped at the end of P3 (which'd make sense, it's not known during P4). Currently on 1/10, so no spoilers please. The rest is pure speculation.

Basically, Kotone (FeMC) unknowingly enters the Paradigm Door, and from there, one of the themed battles. He sees Shinjiro in her memories there, and starts to cry. Shinjiro takes no notice. She breaks down the first time, and is barely taken out alive. For the rest of January, almost every evening, she goes into the Paradigm Door and fights alongside Shinjiro. After defeating Nyx and eliminating the Dark Hour, Kotone can't forget Shinjiro's memories and falls into a deep depression.

FluxWaveZ

Actually, I guess the P5MC's VA addressed PSC in his own segment on episode 20 of PSC so, if that segment counted, the episode on Monday should be Ann's. I guess that still works with the above theory, because it was mainly contingent on it not covering Yusuke. I don't know if there'd be enough Yusuke Kitagawa specific footage for them to even use yet.

Ekai

BTW, headcanon for P3P (SPOILERS):

I was either spoiled long ago or subconsciously sure that the Dark Hour is stopped at the end of P3 (which'd make sense, it's not known during P4). Currently on 1/10, so no spoilers please. The rest is pure speculation.

Basically, Kotone (FeMC) unknowingly enters the Paradigm Door, and from there, one of the themed battles. He sees Shinjiro in her memories there, and starts to cry. Shinjiro takes no notice. She breaks down the first time, and is barely taken out alive. For the rest of January, almost every evening, she goes into the Paradigm Door and fights alongside Shinjiro. After defeating Nyx and eliminating the Dark Hour, Kotone can't forget Shinjiro's memories and falls into a deep depression.

To the spoiler:
Shinjiro is the one I was referring to as the love interest people generally consider canon. He's the love interest for her in the stage play and the one people generally tend to pair her up with. It adds to the narrative in a more meaningful way, especially regarding how death/morality is such a consistent theme in P3. Oh, also, there's an extra scene with Shinjiro if you played as Femc and went the
lovers route with him that's played at a certain point. I'd mention when but it would be spoilers and I heavily advise you to not look it up given the point you are at in P3.

Spoilers regarding Ultimax and Persona 4:

Also, I really have to play through ALL of P3 story mode and then go back to P4 storymode again in Ultimax JUST to unlock the Adachi DLC I purchased? Ugh. Come on. Let me play as this madman already. I hate the guy but let me play as him.

cj_iwakura

Spoilers regarding Ultimax and Persona 4:

Also, I really have to play through ALL of P3 story mode and then go back to P4 storymode again in Ultimax JUST to unlock the Adachi DLC I purchased? Ugh. Come on. Let me play as this madman already. I hate the guy but let me play as him.

I didn't touch P3 story mode and was able to do Adachi's.

Also, you're not missing much. The prologue was the best part.

Ekai

I didn't touch P3 story mode and was able to do Adachi's.

Also, you're not missing much. The prologue was the best part.

Weird. I have yet to unlock Adachi's. I read somewhere you have to beat P4s and I did but it's still not unlocked. Now I'm reading you need to 100% P4s but to do that you need to have beaten P3 to get that last 6%? So why hasn't Adachi unlocked for me if you didn't need to do that? I really just wanted to unlock him for play really. I paid for this and dl'd it already. : /

P3P got grindy.

Trying to get all skills for my party (Aigis-Mitsuru-Akihiko) which is proving a bit difficult since I keep getting Mudo'd. Oh well, after tomorrow's math exam is dead and gone I'll have all the time in the world.

edit: When does Burn My Dread? It's amazing and I think I only heard it once.

Guess Who

Banned
P3P got grindy.

Trying to get all skills for my party (Aigis-Mitsuru-Akihiko) which is proving a bit difficult since I keep getting Mudo'd. Oh well, after tomorrow's math exam is dead and gone I'll have all the time in the world.

edit: When does Burn My Dread? It's amazing and I think I only heard it once.

If you're playing P3P, you can see the Burn My Dread opening by either waiting at the title screen until the game loops back through the opening (where it will play the Burn My Dread opening instead of P3P's opening), or by quitting back to the main menu from within the game.

If you're playing P3P, you can see the Burn My Dread opening by either waiting at the title screen until the game loops back through the opening (where it will play the Burn My Dread opening instead of P3P's opening), or by quitting back to the main menu from within the game.

Thanks! I meant the Battle version though.

Top Bottom