• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

They could announce in May and release in September, which is still technically summer. Plus, May = 5.

EDIT: Isn't the Persona anniversary in September as well?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Persona anniversary is September 20th, but I might be wrong on the exact date.

I had read somewhere that there was a mail in survey with the Persona magazine, asking fans when they thought P5 would release. Apparently, the votes were to be counted up on March 23rd, so I'm not expecting a date until then.
Just kidding, nothing to see here folks.

FluxWaveZ

I had read somewhere that there was a mail in survey with the Persona magazine, asking fans when they thought P5 would release. Apparently, the votes were to be counted up on March 23rd, so I'm not expecting a date until then.
I would post a link, but it's a translator's twitter account and I'm not savvy enough to know if sharing that is a faux pas or not.

That was actually a mistake. The survey actually just asks what fans think and expect of Persona 5, "with its release date approaching." Asking fans to guess the release date for P5 would be a pretty un-Atlus move, after all.

Eylos

Banned
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Persona anniversary is September 20th, but I might be wrong on the exact date.

I would post a link, but it's a translator's twitter account and I'm not savvy enough to know if sharing that is a faux pas or not.

wikipedia says you are right about the date

That was actually a mistake. The survey actually just asks what fans think and expect of Persona 5, "with its release date approaching." Asking fans to guess the release date for P5 would be a pretty un-Atlus move, after all.

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. I thought it was a weird move, but I didn't see a retraction or anything (not that I really looked) so I just kinda went with it. Thanks.

So I am on floor 4 of the
Group Date Cafe
dungeon in PQ and got to the
Group Date event. Does Akihiko always lose no matter what option I pick or could I have dragged the event on longer?

Ekai

All this talk about gender and sexual identity reminds me that I would like to see a genuine attempt at a transgender character. I know Catherine touched on the subject, but it still had unfortunate implications in how they handled it. So seeing a future Persona game tackle it with the utmost respect would be pretty cool.

Atlus actually had a trans npc in Persona 2:Innocent Sin. They were handled perfectly considering how little of a role they had. At least from what I remember. They were just one of many nameless npcs that stood around in shops that you could speak to throughout the story if you wanted. Most of the npcs had their own story of somesort if you took the time to talk to them that developed between story chunks etc. It's not really a spoiler, I think, just because of how minor a character she is. She really has no bearing on any plot wihatsoever and it just is a thing that is there. It actually works quite well with the game's overall theme revolving around rumors changing reality but it has no place within the general plot itself.
Not to mention Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment are the pinnacle of Persona anyway so :p

As a transwoman myself, regarding Catherine:
I feel like Erica is one of the most level-headed characters in the game, if not the most, and that is her one saving-grace. Upon the reveal that she is trans in the Katherine True Ending, Toby laments ever sleeping with her and that he wants his V card. He even brings up her deadname. The game is literally using a "he was tricked by a transwoman" joke here. And the game literally has another guy recording his shame. It feels as though we are meant to sympathize with Toby in this situation by the emphasis of the recording. The focus is on his shame more than anything else. And the one recording the incident in question more or less doesn't believe Erica to be a true woman either so the implications are a bit odd to say the least.

Even as a joke it falls completely flat because this whole idea that transwomen want to "trick" men into sleeping with them is just ridiculously insulting. It's a trite and repeated joke that is just incredibly tiring to see in popular media.

Not to mention the dudes all pretty much outright call her a dude at every angle and insist she's "not a real woman". Like the lines aren't subtle about this at all. They don't ever seem to really consider her for who she is and rather want to beat her down and make her recognize that in their eyes it doesn't matter if she feels she is a woman.

On top of this, Atlus themselves literally deadname her in the official artbook and refers to her as male. That's just adding insult to injury at this point and further leads me to the conclusion that the developers themselves have issues with transwomen and hence Erica's role in the story. Her one saving grace which makes me not go fully in on that is that she's probably the most level-headed in the game. But it's hard for me to consider that conclusion considering how the developers themselves treat her.

It's either an extremely bad joke that they don't mean to have come across the way it does and it just falls flat or they're being transphobic.

Suffice it to say, the newer Atlus team seems to have issues with women, transwomen, and gay men.
I hate Doucheke as others have mentioned (for being as misogynistic as he is, he literally never changes in the whole plot) and their portrayals of various characters like the one in Cahterine, Kanji, Naoto, etc. etc. are all problematic at best.

I miss old Atlus that was responsible for the P2 duology. : / They actually wrote complex characters that were far more than their potential stereotypes and the stereotypes themselves weren't offensive either. That's probably my biggest issue with modern day Atlus. They don't take the time to really develop things. Which is funny considering how much shorter the older games are and how they were in the end better developed. It makes these newer games feel elongated but lifeless in some respects. Particularly in P4 for me. Their whole approach to design is just really lacking. The ideas are there, potentially, but it's all muddled. I feel they go for the cheap knock-off filling rather than the luscious cream that could be waiting in the center.

Ekai

spoiler
I JUST LEARNED SHE DIES

AND THERE'S AN ENDING WHERE SHE DIES IN SHIJIRO'S ARMS

I'm literally shaking aand feeling lightheaded and I howled just now

Yea, it's sweet, I like it.
That said, I really did not like Aigis at all and it's a bit stupid you have to do the rooftop scene with her on your first playthrough.

As others touched on the game handles it's themes pretty well too. Honestly P3 feels more cohesive to me than P4 in that regard. The plot also develops at a handy enough pace. That said the only version I care for of it is P3P but I already stressed why in the past.

Voted yes, if only because the wording is so ambiguous. Like others have said though, EOV announcement really has me wondering what's going to happen. Hashino's comments just last week had me feeling pretty confident, too.

Guess Who

Banned
It's not like Atlus can't promote two games at once, and EOV and P5 probably won't have enough overlap to worry about one cannibalizing the other.

EOV changes nothing, tbh

Lunar15

It's not like Atlus can't promote two games at once, and EOV and P5 probably won't have enough overlap to worry about one cannibalizing the other.

They definitely have done this before and will end up doing it for P5/EOV regardless. The problem is that they announced EOV for an August release date. It would be slightly unusual for them to announce P5 for a date earlier than that.... but who knows, it could still happen. P5 is a special case in a lot of respects and we're already making a boatload of assumptions.

Eylos

Banned
They definitely have done this before and will end up doing it for P5/EOV regardless. The problem is that they announced EOV for an August release date. It would be slightly unusual for them to announce P5 for a date earlier than that.... but who knows, it could still happen. P5 is a special case in a lot of respects and we're already making a boatload of assumptions.

my guess is september for p5 after knowing about the anniversary
summer ends 22 september, persona 20 years anniversary is 20 september

it fits

_Ryo_

I hope Persona 5 retains the map travel system from past persona games. I mean, it'll be cool if you could walk/run everywhere but for some really I just really enjoy that sort of map travel in these games.

Well, that's what they explicitly said. They said they've got a bunch of things planned regarding Persona in 2016 starting with Persona 5 in the summer. Both Hashino and Wada phrased it this way.

Makes me wonder how much of a gap they have planned. I would assume with a game as content heavy as P5 they'd probably want to leave some time for players to get through it before any kind of anniversary celebration.

Lunar15

Well, that's what they explicitly said. They said they've got a bunch of things planned regarding Persona in 2016 starting with Persona 5 in the summer. Both Hashino and Wada phrased it this way.

Yeah, P5 in early September to kick things off, then lead up to the anniversary at the end of the month.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, P5 in early September to kick things off, then lead up to the anniversary at the end of the month.

I dunno, that doesn't seem like enough time to me. They've hinted that they've got another Persona game they want to announce this year, and they'd likely announce it in conjunction with the 20th anniversary festival. That festival will probably take place in September. Then there's also the Persona 5 anime that's going to happen at some point.

I think P5 needs room to breathe before they go all "Persona anniversary" mode, like they've said, so I feel like having it release weeks before it would happen would be weird. Then again, that assumes that it actually happens in September.

I dunno, that doesn't seem like enough time to me. They've hinted that they've got another Persona game they want to announce this year, and they'd likely announce it in conjunction with the 20th anniversary festival. That festival will probably take place in September. Then there's also the Persona 5 anime that's going to happen at some point.

I think P5 needs room to breathe before they go all "Persona anniversary" mode, like they've said, so I feel like having it release weeks before it would happen would be weird. Then again, that assumes that it actually happens in September.

I think the anime will be a promotional tool for the game though, so there's a good chance that will be out first.

*aaaaarrrrrrhhhHHHHEM* Definitive Persona 3 on Vita *aaaaarrrrrrhhhHHHHEM*

FluxWaveZ

I think the anime will be a promotional tool for the game though, so there's a good chance that will be out first.

Yeah, that's part of why I think P5 would have its own space in the schedule instead of all the Persona stuff being crammed together. It needs its own time to breathe before and after release, though I've become less certain that the anime broadcast will necessarily precede the game's release.

Zolo

Hopefully localization doesn't take too long. If they really are just working out bugs and polishing it to make sure everything runs well, hopefully the script's already being translated, and the devs over in Japan who don't have as much to do in this phase can help with editing graphic text and whatever else they may need to do.

PK Gaming

#TeamYes

No reason not to expect Persona 5 information of any kind from appearing in March.

That said, I wouldn't hold my breath for a release date.

Zolo

So wait. What's the poll for? I assumed it was for a release date, but I certainly expect some kind of news/info for most months until release.

Burn My Dread is SO GODDAMN AMAZING

I love all versions, but the entry of the chorus during the original version just KILLS me. So powerful.

hughesta

Banned
just wanted to agree with all the posts above that Atlus has an issue writing characters dealing with a crisis of sexuality/gender. I beat Catherine and never even knew Erica
was transgender. She was my favorite character in that game and to have the other characters treat her like that after the reveal is just depressing.
Yosuke's treatment of Kanji was similar, I thought. It's okay if you want to make a character unlikable by giving them homophobic/transphobic traits, but that's clearly not what they were going for with Yosuke. They just thought it was funny. I hope Atlus can avoid these pitfalls with P5 and actually write complex characters.

_Ryo_

Will Persona 5 get an Asia version? If so, arent English Asia Editions popular these days?

Persona 5 subbed English version possible?

I still liked Yosuke in a way somehow despite him being so goddamn homophobic. I guess it just goes to show that even horrible people have some good sides.

Zolo

I still liked Yosuke in a way somehow despite him being so goddamn homophobic. I guess it just goes to show that even horrible people have some good sides.

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Bloody-Baron-Main-Quest-Walkthrough.jpg

Opinion question: For the people with strong opinions on Yosuke, where would you put him on this (very) rudimentary scale?

1. Bad person
  2. Bad person with good traits
  3. Good person with bad traits
  4. Good person

For the sake of simplicity, I mean just Yosuke as a person. So complaints about how the MC can't challenge his views shouldn't really factor in, as that's a different issue entirely.

hughesta

Banned
Opinion question: For the people with strong opinions on Yosuke, where would you put him on this (very) rudimentary scale?

1. Bad person
  4. Good person

For the sake of simplicity, I mean just Yosuke as a person. So complaints about how the MC can't challenge his views shouldn't really factor in, as that's a different issue entirely.

Zolo

1. Bad person
  4. Good person

3. Good person with bad traits. I've unfortunately known a lot of people that fall into that category where they have awful opinions about politics and other issues in the world, but a lot of times it comes down to growing up and being surrounded by the same opinions. In order for people to change and get good values, they have to be exposed to them.

To bring it more back to Yosuke, it takes work to say that a person who ultimately risks his life on a regular basis to save people even if it's partly due to the excitement of it is a bad person unless they get something out of it. Yosuke never seemed to do the whole saving people part either purely out of feeling like a hero like Junpei did either.

_Ryo_

number 3, I think. I knew a lot of people with traits like that in high school and probably had some of them myself unfortunately...

I suppose I'd have to go with 3. He's not a bad person, really, but a fucking annoying, selfish, and inconsiderate one with seemingly no control of the endless flow of stupid shit streaming out of his mouth. He's definitely the most flawed person out of the whole IT, though those flaws are rarely actually used to give him depth. Most of his SL is just you enabling his weird behaviour and thoughts to an almost P3-esque degree. But to give Yosuke some credit, he is better than P3's worst SLs.

PK Gaming

1. Bad person
  4. Good person

5) None of the above.

Yosuke is just your average insecure teenager.

Which would be perfectly fine on its own. After all, his actions are fairly in line with how your typical insecure teenage boy would act in high school. But here's the rub; his jabs towards Kanji in Persona 4 are framed in a "boys will be boys" light, rather than as something more serious. Which makes sense, given how marginalized homosexuality is in Japan. Really, Yosuke's behavior towards Kanji is just a product of that, rather than the developers intentionally making him homophobic. Which is very unfortunate, I don't think it precludes him from being a good character.

Ekai

3. Good person with bad traits. I've unfortunately known a lot of people that fall into that category where they have awful opinions about politics and other issues in the world, but a lot of times it comes down to growing up and being surrounded by the same opinions. In order for people to change and get good values, they have to be exposed to them.

To bring it more back to Yosuke, it takes work to say that a person who ultimately risks his life on a regular basis to save people even if it's partly due to the excitement of it is a bad person unless they get something out of it. Yosuke never seemed to do the whole saving people part either purely out of feeling like a hero like Junpei did either.

At least Junpei was a more nuanced character. He actually developed past his stereotype, especially regarding his own sexism with FeMC. It took forever but Junpei ended up being way less one note than Yosuke was. If we're discussing just the "Bro" characters of P3 and P4, Junpei is miles ahead of Yosuke in writing for me. Factor in the bro from P2 and Eikichi beats em' both by miles and miles. : p

To answer the poll, I lean more towards 1 just because I really can't stand the guy at all but I guess I can see 3.

just wanted to agree with all the posts above that Atlus has an issue writing characters dealing with a crisis of sexuality/gender. I beat Catherine and never even knew Erica
was transgender. She was my favorite character in that game and to have the other characters treat her like that after the reveal is just depressing.
Yosuke's treatment of Kanji was similar, I thought. It's okay if you want to make a character unlikable by giving them homophobic/transphobic traits, but that's clearly not what they were going for with Yosuke. They just thought it was funny. I hope Atlus can avoid these pitfalls with P5 and actually write complex characters.

Regarding Catherine:
Well, it's how they treat Erica even way before the explicit reveal too. Her response when it's blatant is just to tell him you can't return this punched card and laugh. So they don't really let her say much in regards to his feeling of being tricked by her but given how the game treated her up til that point, I'm not surprised that she didn't really have much of a say on things. Catherine wasn't trying to say anything complex about transgender issues and mostly stuck to myopic 'jokes'. That said, I suppose you could take it as 'they're all constantly ribbing each other' but it still feels off to me.

Again, that combined with the devs themselves literally dead-naming her and referring to her as male in the official artbook just adds to the issue for me.

5) None of the above.

Yosuke is just your average insecure teenager.

Which would be perfectly fine on its own. After all, his actions are fairly in line with how your typical insecure teenage boy would act in high school. But here's the rub; his jabs towards Kanji in Persona 4 are framed in a "boys will be boys" light, rather than as something more serious. Which makes sense, given how marginalized homosexuality is in Japan. Really, Yosuke's behavior towards Kanji is just a product of that, rather than the developers intentionally making him homophobic. Which is very unfortunate, I don't think it precludes him from being a good character.

I consider the bolded more an issue of how Yosuke is portrayed, rather than an issue of his character. Would you agree?

Top Bottom