• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Setsu00

Summer cannot come soon enough!

tumblr_o3f7k3XT9e1ry8an7o1_540.png

Ekai

All of this P2 hate is so...eh. : / Don't really get why. Gameplay, story, characters, etc. clicked for me pretty much immediately. People like what they like, I suppose.

daevious

All of this P2 hate is so...eh. : / Don't really get why. Gameplay, story, characters, etc. clicked for me pretty much immediately. People like what they like, I suppose.

This is why. It's gameplay is so goddamn terrible that it's the biggest road-hump to me recommending it to anyone else. It may have the best story of the series, one that's worth putting up with the gameplay to see, but Persona's 3 and 4 have a better balance of gameplay being good and story being, while not as good as good as previous entries, better then a majority of games on the market.

Ekai

This is why. It's gameplay is so goddamn terrible that it's the biggest road-hump to me recommending it to anyone else. It may have the best story of the series, one that's worth putting up with the gameplay to see, but Persona's 3 and 4 have a better balance of gameplay being good and story being, while not as good as good as previous entries, better then a majority of games on the market.

I completely disagree on the gameplay front.
Kinda repeating myself but I'm adding in thoughts to flesh this out. I much prefer the systems in P2. Especially in regards to fusion spells, the rumor system and contacting with enemies, etc. etc. It's more engaging for me. Plus the contact system adds a whole lot to the overall charm that the game does have. Seeing how various demon personality types react to and engage with the various actions you can take individually or with a group can be mightily amusing. Sometimes new personality type combinations also make you need to figure out a new way to contact with that kind of enemy. Plus it adds a tactical level to the game beyond just knowing enemy weaknesses. The game rewards you for understanding the personality of the enemies themselves. Plus rumors add on top of this in regards to rumor demons that can be created and rumors demons themselves can spread if you talk with them. This makes the gameplay within P2 harken back to the general themes of the plot itself. Something that isn't really done in the newer Persona games at all. The gameplay ties it all together. All of this makes the gameplay one of the hugest draws along with the quality of the writing itself for me.

Plus the general gameplay doesn't drag on like it does in P3 and P4. P2:IS and from what I know of P2:EP don't out-stay their welcome, they are generally much shorter while still being decently long. Basically the P2 games get to the point and go from one story beat to the next without forcing you to go through hoops while you wait. In contrast P3 and P4 both suffer from their length. They feel padded out with filler and it makes the game overall feel thinner and less engaging as it goes along. Less engaging gaming combined with the eh to really great at times writing that exists in both P3 and P4 makes for a difficult experience to want to go through personally.

The P2 games also mix up the dungeons in a more varied manner in regards to visual look and how they behave. The behavior itself of the dungeons in P3 and P4 is very basic, there really isn't much in the way of puzzles. The dungeons are pretty much just there and you just have to slog through them. I haven't really heard any praise at all for the dungeons, which are a huge component of the game experience itself, outside of the visual design of P4's. They're pretty much just there really. They don't have anything within the dungeons themselves to mix things up and that's one of the greatest flaws within the newer Personas for me. There aren't LOADS of puzzles in at least P2:IS either but they at the very least do mix-up how each dungeon behaves/has some gimmick often enough. Plus the gimmicks within those dungeons generally have a purpose with what is currently happening in the story. All are stylish positives for P2 for me that do not exist in the newer Persona games. Regarding visual design: it is very lacking in P3's dungeon. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. That said, I do believe Tartarus is a neat idea in how it's meant to be considered within the story. And, as previously mentioned, P4 has nice ideas regarding how it's dungeons are designed but the end result is hit or miss, especially in regards to Kanji's and Naoto's.

Just my preference. Again, I don't mind the overhaul that happened in P3 and P4 but they haven't been anywhere near as well executed for me as what was done in the past Persona games. I say this as someone who experienced P4 first and then P3 too. I would love to experience a Persona game with the current system that works perfectly. The closet has been P3P and for me I attribute that to FeMC largely. Really her writing helped pull a lot of the game together and made me want to finish it and even play again. She made the s. linking and how it behaves in conjunction with demon fusion fun precisely because I enjoyed her writing. And she helped make longer segments of "not much is happening" more bearable just by the virtue of having well done writing. On that front as well, I could see myself liking P4's general vibe in a way. The thematic purpose with the dungeons is great but the general gameplay needed to be more tightly designed and the writing stronger so that the story beats didn't feel stretched so thin.

Just my two cents.

Holy shit I hate Rise's JP voice

I love Rie Kugimiya, but her Rise was SUPER jarring after hearing her English voice for so long.

The battle system is super tedious and I hate random battles in any game, but I wouldn't call P2's gameplay terrible. Cumbersome and dated, more like. P3 and 4 have a much more streamlined system and avoidable battles going for them, but their dungeoning isn't that much better.

Ekai

The battle system is super tedious and I hate random battles in any game, but I wouldn't call P2's gameplay terrible. Cumbersome and dated, more like. P3 and 4 have a much more streamlined system and avoidable battles going for them, but their dungeoning isn't that much better.

Agree to disagree on that front then. : p

P3FES spoilers
Jesus fuck, The Answer is pretty depressing.
Really interesting to see how Minato had been holding the group together, though.
Still saddening to see them fall out like that, man.

Agree to disagree on that front then. : p

Again, I'm hoping P2 will eventually click with me. I hated FFXII when I first played it, hated it even more the second time, then the third time round it was suddenly true love. I really want to like P2, too, since it has Katsuya unnnffffff it's probably the most unanimously beloved entry in the series and does do a lot of interesting/cool things.

P3FES spoilers
Jesus fuck, The Answer is pretty depressing.
Really interesting to see how Minato had been holding the group together, though.
Still saddening to see them fall out like that, man.

Yeah, that's what happens when a living emotional crutch
becomes a dead emotional crutch.

I don't even want to think about what happened with FeMC, who had a personal S-link with every member.

You don't have to since due to her current status now, her fate is nonexistence instead of being an eternal barrier.

Pretty much the end result I was thinking.

Zolo

Yeah, that's what happens when a living emotional crutch
becomes a dead emotional crutch.

I don't even want to think about what happened with FeMC, who had a personal S-link with every member.

You don't have to since due to her current status now, her fate is nonexistence instead of being an eternal barrier.

Eylos

Banned
Because is not canon? Didn't finish my play with femc yet,always guessed the ending is the same

During the events of Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, FeMC is currently attending College after graduating from Gekkou High. She is best friends with Rio and Saori and never met the FEES members personally, but she admired a few of them as they were really popular at school. One time, Ryoji randomly asked her on a date, she laughed (she is always cheerful) cause she thought he was kidding which left him confused and frustrated. She never received the power of the Wild Card nor she was a guest at the Velvet Room although she has the "potential" of awakening a persona. FeMC is living her life at the fullest just like P3MC's wish. /headcanon

During the events of Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, FeMC is currently attending College after graduating from Gekkou High. She is best friends with Rio and Saori and never met the FEES members personally, but she admired a few of them as they were really popular at school. One time, Ryoji randomly asked her on a date, she laughed (she is always cheerful) cause she thought he was kidding which left him confused and frustrated. She never received the power of the Wild Card nor she was a guest at the Velvet Room although she has the "potential" of awakening a persona. FeMC is living her life at the fullest just like P3MC's wish. /headcanon

I think I read that fanfic.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
It's pretty bad, but at least it's not as bad as Teddie's.

My ears are bleeding just thinking about hearing that voice.

Christ.

Thank god for dubbing because I would have stopped playing P4 at about 5 hours. I can't imagine going through that for 70+ hours.

FluxWaveZ

I actually saw the "calendar" text when writing that post but somehow forgot about it when typing the post. I thought the picture was from this jigsaw puzzle, so the calendar text went over my head.

I've actually never seen either of these before, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Edit: For as much as I don't really like FeMC, I like the idea of them encountering each other and interacting.

cj_iwakura

Any recommendations for music from P1 and P2? Thanks

All great P1 choices above. For P2:

Aoba Park, Knights of the Holy Lance(IS version), Kasugayama HS(IS version), Maya's Theme, Clair de Lune, all the Velvet Room variations(can't recall my favorite district, I'll find the link later), and both variations of the clothing shop(drawing a blank at the moment).

daevious

All great P1 choices above. For P2:

Aoba Park, Knights of the Holy Lance(IS version), Kasugayama HS(IS version), Maya's Theme, Clair de Lune, all the Velvet Room variations(can't recall my favorite district, I'll find the link later), and both variations of the clothing shop(drawing a blank at the moment).

You forgot the best one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3By2_ycEaQc

EDIT: Morimoto hospital is also really good because it's one of the few tracks that is improved in the PSP version (the original's still good, of course).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp5MgGK2wXQ (Original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swdFtBmOKeg (Updated)

The Persona 4 manga took an incredible swerve in the recent chapter

CbgAwsMUcAIJqxa.jpg

There should be an L-esque character in P5

oh shit lmao

BTW finished watching The Answer.
Some parts were depressing, others were bittersweet, but nowhere as moving as The Journey, IMO.

Couple of PQ questions:

So, in P Q, does everyone, including reserve party, get the same exp from completing requests?

So I am on floor 4 of the
Group Date Cafe
dungeon in PQ and got to the
Group Date event. Does Akihiko always lose no matter what option I pick or could I have dragged the event on longer?

So I am on floor 4 of the
Group Date Cafe
dungeon in PQ and got to the
Group Date event. Does Akihiko always lose no matter what option I pick or could I have dragged the event on longer?

Are you using P3 side, right? Well, when I was playing, another character lost the game.
Shinji

Dantis

I think that was an artwork used for a jigsaw puzzle iirc. Too bad it's long sold out, I wanted to buy it :(

You are correct! I posted the jigsaw picture in here yonks ago.

P2 is very good, but it deviates from expectations a lot less than P3 and P4 did. The art is excellent for the time it came out, and the story deviates from the epics that most devs were going for back then, which is pretty interesting, but it's 'just' a JRPG.

Ekai

P2 is very good, but it deviates from expectations a lot less than P3 and P4 did. The art is excellent for the time it came out, and the story deviates from the epics that most devs were going for back then, which is pretty interesting, but it's 'just' a JRPG.

Don't really get what you mean by deviates from expectations less than P3 or P4.

Top Bottom