• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Opinion question: For the people with strong opinions on Yosuke, where would you put him on this (very) rudimentary scale?

1. Bad person
  2. Bad person with good traits
  3. Good person with bad traits
  4. Good person

For the sake of simplicity, I mean just Yosuke as a person. So complaints about how the MC can't challenge his views shouldn't really factor in, as that's a different issue entirely.

Nobody is perfect, Yosuke is a good guy. I don't see him as homophobic, he is just joking and teasing because that's what teenagers do with friends. The problem is that he isn't aware of how sexuality might be a sensitive problem for lots of people (I blame Atlus here). He doesn't do that for the sake of being mean.

Edit: I completely agree with PK-senpai

FluxWaveZ

I'm kinda hoping Ryuuji ends up being the best right-hand man bro out of all of them. There's real potential there for his character.

I hope not. That's what Yosuke was to the P4 protagonist with all the "partner" stuff, anyways.

Edit: Oh, maybe I misunderstood and you're just talking in generalities. Well, I already like Junpei more than Yosuke... And Ulala.

Ekai

I'm kinda hoping Ryuuji ends up being the best right-hand man/bro out of all of them. There's real potential there for his character.

Eikichi will be hard to beat for me there. Beating Junpei or Yosuke? I could easily see that with Yosuke being as awfully written as he is. Beating Junpei in writing will be a different story. He had a lot of issues but overcame them for the most part as things developed which helps his character out a lot really. It makes him have an arc. Nowhere near as complex or strong an arc as Eikichi's but still an arc.

I hope not. That's what Yosuke was to the P4 protagonist with all the "partner" stuff, anyways.

Edit: Oh, maybe I misunderstood and you're just talking in generalities. Well, I already like Junpei more than Yosuke... And Ulala.

I still need to delve into Eternal Punishment but you would consider Ulala the "bro" of that game? I guess so given what little I saw of her in Innocent Sin, being the roomie of the protagonist in EP and all.

Y'know

they have pretty much the perfect setup to deal with LGBT issues with P5. It's supposedly all about breaking free from the burden of society and its expectations.

They're still not gonna do it, tho.

FluxWaveZ

I still need to delve into Eternal Punishment but you would consider Ulala the "bro" of that game? I guess so given what little I saw of her in Innocent Sin, being the roomie of the protagonist in EP and all.

Well, yeah, that's literally her role in Eternal Punishment to the protagonist Maya Amano (much more so than Eikichi was to Tatsuya, too). Makes some scenes in that game particularly powerful.

Ekai

Y'know

they have pretty much the perfect setup to deal with LGBT issues with P5. It's supposedly all about breaking free from the burden of society and its expectations.

That would be perf butt yea.

Well, yeah, that's literally her role in Eternal Punishment to the protagonist Maya Amano(much more so than Eikichi was to Tatsuya, too). Makes some scenes in that game particularly powerful.

Ahh, I thought you were saying that she's worse than Junpei or on par with Yosuke but maybe I misunderstood if you're arguing that there's powerful scenes with her in it?

Regarding the Eikichi edit: Ehh, I know Eikichi doesn't fully fill the bro role but generally speaking if we categorize by stereotype roles he's the bro of Innocent Sin. Plus I love him, so. : p

FluxWaveZ

Ahh, I thought you were saying that she's worse than Junpei or on par with Yosuke but maybe I misunderstood if you're arguing that there's power scenes with her in it?

I meant I like Junpei and Ulala more than Yosuke. Sorry, that phrasing was indeed confusing.

PK Gaming

Eikichi will be hard to beat for me there. Beating Junpei or Yosuke? I could easily see that with Yosuke being as awfully written as he is. Beating Junpei in writing will be a different story. He had a lot of issues but overcame them for the most part as things developed which helps his character out a lot really. It makes him have an arc. Nowhere near as complex or strong an arc as Eikichi's but still an arc.

------------------
About Ryuji Sakamoto: He’s one to say “let’s change this world!” and pull the protagonist. It’s because of Ryuji that the protagonist begins his life as a phantom thief. He may be defiant, but he’s a nice guy. For this reason, voice actor Mamoru Miyano is a good fit. His Persona “Captain Kidd” is a good fit with Ryuji’s setting and episode.

Ryuji seems very promising. I could easily see him being the breakout star of P5.

Y'know

To be fair, you could consider the setup of Persona 5 perfect to deal with a thousand and one topics that they're likely not going to talk about. They could tackle people with physical or mental disabilities and how a lot of people in society don't expect anything from them because of said disability, for example. There's only so many that they can (and will) address. How well they chose which stories to talk about will be an interesting topic once the game is out.

Zolo

I'm kinda hoping Ryuuji ends up being the best right-hand man/bro out of all of them. There's real potential there for his character.

The actor interview already said that he tends to say things that offends people without really meaning to. Of course, I guess it can be said to be a positive thing that they're aware he says things like that which may make him lean more toward Junpei in that role than Yosuke.

To be fair, you could consider the setup of Persona 5 perfect to deal with a thousand and one topics that they're likely not going to talk about. They could tackle people with physical or mental disabilities and how a lot of people in society don't expect anything from them because of said disability, for example. There's only so many that they can (and will) address. How well they chose which stories to talk about will be an interesting topic once the game is out.

Well, I certainly can't argue with that. Here's hoping they're brave enough to actually go some controversial places with their premise.

Well, I certainly can't argue with that. Here's hoping they're brave enough to actually go some controversial places with their premise.

Amen to that. I don't doubt there's going to be a ton of clumsy and unfortunate writing in P5, but I still hope they do try to address controversial topics anyway. As long as they're not outright spiteful or malicious anyway.

Zolo

Yosuke still got favorite character in some latest poll from Japan, so obviously he's still got a big fanbase.

It also reinforces my theory that at least for Japan, most who take part in these polls tend to be female.

Lunar15

I actually like Yosuke. He's just in that weird tough spot of being the character that has to be the MC's voice while also having his own weird arc. I prefer Junpei overall, but Junpei never really had to fill that role because there was Mitsuru.

They had to have the scene where he overreacts about certain events because he's the party's foil to the MC and the overall drive of the investigation. You're basically telling him to pump the breaks on the whole thing and asserting your own findings. I don't think how he acted was completely irrational given the circumstances.

Ultimately, he's an insecure shit in certain scenes, but he probably helps the crew more than anyone else. Lacks tact, but is loyal. I don't think that's a bad combination for a video game character.

But he's also a video game character and I'm obviously going to reflect a lot of my own experiences on to that sort of thing.

Lunar15

I prefer his Japanese VA too, and I think that matters. Lowenthal just made him sound annoyed far more than he actually was.

Zolo

Persona 5 Discussion:
This was pointed out on Gamefaqs, and I hadn't noticed it before. Apparently, there seems to be some kind of meter in the dungeons or at least the first one. The poster thought it was the lust demon, but it looks more like the one that appears on Ryuji's profile in that one magazine scan.

1CWF19T.jpg

yuuki

They definitely have done this before and will end up doing it for P5/EOV regardless. The problem is that they announced EOV for an August release date. It would be slightly unusual for them to announce P5 for a date earlier than that.... but who knows, it could still happen. P5 is a special case in a lot of respects and we're already making a boatload of assumptions.

well they could have announced EOV right now in hope that they can cash in on some early preorders before p5 hits.

Ekai

Y'know

You know, I wasn't thinking of it at the time, but Persona 2, at least Innocent Sin, has already done a better job with LGBT characterization than P4 ever did. I mentioned the trans-npc before but there's another thing regarding, major spoilers:
Tatsuya and Jun
that's entirely optional but at least includes acknowledgement of bisexual/homosexual love within the core of the game itself. So really, P2:IS (and probs P2:EP) are not just miles above in writing, gameplay, music, etc. also in LGBT representation in writing too. It doesn't tackle much in terms of issues persay, really the trans-npc has more of an arc to them than the spoiler I mentioned, but hey, it's better than what P4 tried to do. I'd love to see LGBT issues tackled at the forefront though in a well-done and fleshed out manner.

PK Gaming

You know, I wasn't thinking of it at the time, but Persona 2, at least Innocent Sin, has already done a better job with LGBT characterization than P4 ever did. I mentioned the trans-npc before but there's another thing regarding, major spoilers:
Tatsuya and Jun
that's entirely optional but at least includes acknowledgement of bisexual/homosexual love within the core of the game itself. So really, P2:IS (and probs P2:EP) are not just miles above in writing, gameplay, music, etc. also in LGBT representation and writing too. It doesn't tackle much in terms of issues persay, really the trans-npc has more of an arc to them than the spoiler I mentioned, but hey, it's better than what P4 tried to do. I'd love to see LGBT issues tackled at the forefront though in a well-done manner.

There's also Lisa being totally okay with Tatsuya choosing Jun over her despite being hopelessly in love with him.

B_vwmERUIAAcu6f.png

Lunar15

Tatsuya and Jun
that's entirely optional but at least includes acknowledgement of bisexual/homosexual love within the core of the game itself. So really, P2:IS (and probs P2:EP) are not just miles above in writing, gameplay, music, etc. also in LGBT representation and writing too. It doesn't tackle much in terms of issues persay, really the trans-npc has more of an arc to them than the spoiler I mentioned, but hey, it's better than what P4 tried to do. I'd love to see LGBT issues tackled at the forefront though in a well-done manner.

Totally disagree in gameplay and music, but writing, sure.

Ekai

There's also Lisa being totally okay with Tatsuya choosing Jun over her despite being hopelessly in love with him.

B_vwmERUIAAcu6f.png

Ahh, I don't recall that reaction. I assume you were being sarcastic with totally okay. I mean she's definitely taking his decision better than complete mockery and seems to be mostly cool with it. Except for her face and the but at the end there she seems to be pretty accepting of it considering how hopelessly she loves him. I think you should cover up that spoiler tho.

Totally disagree in gameplay and music, but writing, sure.

Music wise I'd say all the Personas are very close actually thinking on it. Gameplay and writing wise, the P2 games are miles above for me. I much prefer the system that is in the older Persona games regarding fusion spells, contacting with enemies, etc. etc. It's more engaging for me. Plus the contact system adds a whole lot to the overall charm. Plus the general gameplay doesn't drag on like it does in P3 and P4. P2:IS and from what I know of P2:EP don't out-stay their welcome, they are generally much shorter while still being decently long. They also mix up the dungeons in a more varied manner in regards to visual look and how they behave. Just my preference. I don't mind the overhaul that happened in P3 and P4 but they haven't been executed as well for me.

PK Gaming

Ahh, I don't recall that reaction. I assume you were being sarcastic with totally okay. I mean she's definitely taking his decision better than complete mockery and seems to be mostly cool with it. Except for her face and the but at the end there. I think you should cover up that spoiler tho.

I'm not actually. Lisa's reaction genuinely shocked me. She's initially pretty shallow and judgmental, so I figured she'd drop a snide comment, but I guess at that point in the game she's changed pretty significantly as a person.

And hold up, what spoiler? Optional romance option segments shouldn't count as spoilers...!

Ekai

I'm not actually. Lisa's reaction genuinely shocked me. She's initially pretty shallow and judgmental, so I figured she'd drop a snide comment, but I guess at that point in the game she's changed pretty significantly as a person.

And hold up, what spoiler? Optional romance option segments shouldn't count as spoilers...!

Ahh, yea. I gotcha. Her general acceptance is well handled I was mostly just referencing her facial expression really. I also felt like while she was a bit one-note at times, she did change. Really the whole segment regarding
the music performance
she was already on the way to changing as a person.

Personally I consider Jun's very existence a spoiler. I know it's not exactly a big thing that you can have Tatsuya and him together but the fact that he's a very late game party member might lead one to wonder when he comes in and who he is exactly. Which is also a massive spoiler. You didn't mention who he is but just, eh, I consider Jun himself a spoiler myself. You don't have to cover it up, just my two cents on it

PK Gaming

Ahh, yea. I gotcha. Her general acceptance is well handled I was mostly just referencing her facial expression really. I also felt like while she was a bit one-note at times, she did change. Really the whole segment regarding
the music performance
she was already on the way to changing as a person.

Personally I consider Jun's very existence a spoiler. I know it's not exactly a big thing that you can have Tatsuya and him together but the fact that he's a very late game party member might lead one to wonder when he comes in and who he is exactly. Which is also a massive spoiler. You didn't mention who he is but just, eh, I consider Jun himself a spoiler myself. You don't have to cover it up, just my two cents on it

Ah I get you... Fortunately (or unfortunately?) Jun gets brought up a lot around these parts (especially now that Yusuke is in the picture), so is existence is the worst kept secret around. He's very much like Naoto in that regard. The good news is that most people don't know he's Joker, so name dropping him isn't that big of a deal in that regard, at least.

Ekai

Regarding what I mentioned before about the dungeons/overall gameplay in P3 and P4 not working as well for me as the earlier Persona games, I will say this as a positive for the two.

1. Persona 3 Portables FEMC and her overall writing, including the s. links, really elevated that game and made the s. links and by extension general dialogue entertaining to do. The game still starts to drag on but FeMC really helped actually pull the game mechanics together(at least in some respects not in all) in a way to make it not as much of a slog. This is more of a positive to the writing of P3P than it is the gameplay but the s. links and the dialogue choices are sorta elements of gameplay so I will mention it. Plus FeMC really elevates P3P to be equal/almost equal to P2:IS for me.

2. Persona 4's dungeons and their thematic purpose regarding the characters is actually a neat idea and I appreciate the attempt. That said, Kanji's is extremely poorly handled and Naoto's isn't that great either. It has a good conceptual idea but the execution isn't the best, is what I'm trying to say. It works for some of the characters but doesn't work for others.

Still vastly prefer how the older Persona games handle it but those are some positives for the newer ones that I will happily acknowledge. The other elements within P3 and P4 aren't necessarily bad, I just prefer how P2 does it. Still need to play P1 and much of P2:EP but as far as P2:IS goes, I quite like how it handles things.

Ah I get you... Fortunately (or unfortunately?) Jun gets brought up a lot around these parts (especially now that Yusuke is in the picture), so is existence is the worst kept secret around. He's very much like Naoto in that regard. The good news is that most people don't know he's Joker, so name dropping him isn't that big of a deal in that regard, at least.

It's a double-edged sword, I guess. It's fortunate because it makes people more aware of Jun and by extension Persona 2 but unfortunate in that it spoils his very existence in Persona 2.

P3 is at its core a game about
Death, how to deal with death, and coming to terms with the fact that it is going to happen to everyone.
, so it just seems fitting to me
that the MC dies.

I'd imagine P3 could be a literally life changing game for someone who plays it in their teens, especially if theyve been having a rough time. Which is another reason why I like it better than P4. P4 just wasn't as existentially and psychologically sastisfying, which is strange considering on the surface P4 is a much more psychological game given the nature of shadows therein, and whatnot..

It was for me. Played it first semester of college, and it really opened my eyes on many things, namely dealing with themes of death and how to live. Also Including heavily relating to Aigis with her troubles of wanting to be human with her misunderstandings of emotions and social standards/ human interaction. Aigis' growth helped me out in more ways than i can write.

The closest a game has gotten to being as inspirational to me as Persona 3 is Danganronpa 1 and 2

daevious

P3 is at its core a game about
Death, how to deal with death, and coming to terms with the fact that it is going to happen to everyone.
, so it just seems fitting to me
that the MC dies.

I'd imagine P3 could be a literally life changing game for someone who plays it in their teens, especially if theyve been having a rough time. Which is another reason why I like it better than P4. P4 just wasn't as existentially and psychologically sastisfying, which is strange considering on the surface P4 is a much more psychological game given the nature of shadows therein, and whatnot..

It's me, I'm the teen that had his life changed from playing Persona 3. But I still hold that Persona 4 is the stronger game of the two through polishing the concepts that P3 started.

Eylos

Banned
about junpei i think in p3p he is much better explained,
there we learn that he was beat by his drunk father often in the childhood, if we stop to think he turned out great despite his childhood, and not like yosuke who is a spoiled brat

Jintor

what's the best way for me to experience p2 without having to play the fucking thing? i beat my head against it for a while but it's just not for me

any of you butts do an LP?

MSMrRound

Oh yea...think I missed it or something...but did anyone manage to translate Mizuki Nana's (voice actress for Ann) message to the fans in the latest Persona Stalker Club episode yet?

cj_iwakura

what's the best way for me to experience p2 without having to play the fucking thing? i beat my head against it for a while but it's just not for me

any of you butts do an LP?

There's LPs out there, but you really should play it.

B_vwmERUIAAcu6f.png

Not a knock against Lisa, but it's heavily implied she never really cared that much about Tatsuya. She saw him as a trophy boyfriend.

i refer you to the comment where i did and i couldn't deal

Im the same, I've tried to play it 3 times now but i dont like the gameplay and the characters and story are not interesting enough to persevere with it. (at least up the point which i played, they may get better, i dont know)

Im the same, I've tried to play it 3 times now but i dont like the gameplay and the characters and story are not interesting enough to persevere with it. (at least up the point which i played, they may get better, i dont know)

Same here, though I've only made two attempts. It took me three restarts to click with FFXII, so I'm not counting P2 out just yet.

DNAbro

well, whatd they look like in your head Nostrabro

One guy had longish hair and stubbly facial hair. Kind of like Jesus from The Walking Dead except shorter facial hair. I don't know why but I am assuming my mind made him a high school drop out.

Don't remember the girl I pictured as much but all I remember is that she had short brown hair.

Dreams are weird.

Top Bottom