• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Setsu00

It's pretty telling that the P5 protagonist is turning out to be the complete opposite of what people were expecting after the initial reveal. I hope it'll be the same with the other party members.

Dantis

I'm actually a little surprised you're not feeling the Protagonist in this one, Dantis. I think he's probably the best part of the whole thing so far, at least for me.

All of the smirking and smugness is kind of necessary with the idea of a master thief. It has to look like he's one step ahead of his enemies and I think they pull that off really well while still making him a blank-state avatar. His daily look has to be inconspicuous and his design compliments this. I think Soejima did an excellent job designing a character that could look brazen enough to pull of heists but also but look unassuming enough to go around having social conversations with everyone.

All three of Soejima's protagonists have perfectly fit their role in terms of design, if you ask me. P5's might be a bit jarring at first as it's unusual to see such an emotive protagonist after P3 and 4, but I think it really, really works in the game's favor.

Knowing what you know about me, you're surprised?

I think his day to day design is excellent. It's exactly what I expected from Soejima.

His thief outfit looks like it's from Ultimax or something though. It looks embarassingly uncool and is seemingly completely unaware of the fact. The smile and the magic clothes just make the whole thing seem really dumb to me.

I think I just want a version of the game without any of the RPG stuff. Just give me the social sim. Cut out all the thief guff and you have a much more appealing game in my eyes.

"The protagonist’s seemingly docile nature is a profound ruse."

Man that was quite the moment. XD

The wording on that has always bothered me. It's not profound, it's silly.

I think the look of the protag is of young ignorance. He just got his persona and feels like nothing can stop him, he feels on top of the world. Yeah, THAT kind of adrenaline rush. I can see the game shifting down the road and show that even with a persona, he isn't actually on top of the world. Actually, I'd speculate that the transition from day-to-day threats to the bigger threat that encompasses the entire story, as the game's main villain will put P5MC right back in his place and show him that no, he ISN'T on top of the world. He may be higher up than others but still shouldn't bite off more than he can chew.

That's my opinion on P5MC's demeanor from what we've seen of him so far

I think the look of the protag is of young ignorance. He just got his persona and feels like nothing can stop him, he feels on top of the world. Yeah, THAT kind of adrenaline rush. I can see the game shifting down the road and show that even with a persona, he isn't actually on top of the world. Actually, I'd speculate that the transition from day-to-day threats to the bigger threat that encompasses the entire story, as the game's main villain will put P5MC right back in his place and show him that no, he ISN'T on top of the world. He may be higher up than others but still shouldn't bite off more than he can chew.

Great idea. Crush my soul, Atlus.

Lunar15

Knowing what you know about me, you're surprised?

I think his day to day design is excellent. It's exactly what I expected from Soejima.

His thief outfit looks like it's from Ultimax or something though. It looks embarassingly uncool and is seemingly completely unaware of the fact. The smile and the magic clothes just make the whole thing seem really dumb to me.

I think I just want a version of the game without any of the RPG stuff. Just give me the social sim. Cut out all the thief guff and you have a much more appealing game in my eyes.

I kind of forget about the clothes sometimes, I'm more just thinking about his general attitude and facial expressions.

Yeah, the clothes are pretty ridiculous. I guess I just look at all the otherworldly stuff in Persona as extremely wacky anyway, so them wearing wacky clothes is par for the course. I actually like the dichotomy between the real world and the other world stuff, this time they're just doubling down on that.

I'm really not sold on Ann or Ryuji yet. Not hugely fond of their character designs. Yuuske's pretty great, though.

I'm really not sold on Ann or Ryuji yet. Not hugely fond of their character designs. Yuuske's pretty great, though.

Im in the complete opposite camp. I love the designs of the main 3, but Yusuke is so bland and boring to me.

Edit: I then remember who his VA is and hope that his design is to trick me into thinking that way, and then he ends up like Gintoki

Setsu00

There is no way that this is how the story ends. That would go against everything Hashino said about the game since it's apparently also about self-empowerment.

Sophia

I kind of forget about the clothes sometimes, I'm more just thinking about his general attitude and facial expressions.

Yeah, the clothes are pretty ridiculous. I guess I just look at all the otherworldly stuff in Persona as extremely wacky anyway, so them wearing wacky clothes is par for the course. I actually like the dichotomy between the real world and the other world stuff, this time they're just doubling down on that.

Ryuji's not really appealing to me, but both Ann and Yusuke are great in my eyes and I'm excited to see where they go. Hopefully Ryuji will become more appealing once the game is out too. >.<;

Lunar15

Ryuji's not really appealing to me, but both Ann and Yusuke are great in my eyes and I'm excited to see where they go. Hopefully Ryuji will become more appealing once the game is out too. >.<;

Character-wise, Ann sounds pretty great. It's just her design that isn't all that appealing. Not a big fan of those big poofy twin ponytails. Looks silly to me.

Ekai

Her design is very 20XX anime. She's just a blend of what's currently popular.

Not that big into it either.

Honestly her design is super reminiscent of Yuka from Persona 1. Little bit of Lisa from Innocent Sin as well. And Yusuke looking loads like
Jun
from Persona 2 doesn't help matters either.
That combined with new Atlus pretty much ripping off of Tatsuya's ultimate persona for a character in Arena 2, the Arena games antagonist being an almost carbon copy of the one from 2 (but nowhere near as good), the whole shadow selves thing we see in P4 that was in at least the P2 games first. etc. etc. We'll have to see how P5 turns out but I get the feeling the new team is slowly running out of ideas and is just copying old designs and concept ideas.

daevious

Honestly her design is super reminiscent of Yuka from Persona 1. Little bit of Lisa from Innocent Sin as well. And Yusuke looking loads like
Jun
That combined with new Atlus pretty much ripping off of Tatsuya's ultimate persona for a character in Arena 2, the Arena games antagonist being an almost carbon copy of the one from 2 (but nowhere near as good), the whole shadow selves thing we see in P4 that was in at least the P2 games first. etc. etc. We'll have to see how P5 turns out but I get the feeling the new team is slowly running out of ideas and is just copying old designs and concept ideas.

You act as though Persona 3's plot wasn't a hodge-podge of ideas cribbed from Eternal Punishment.

Setsu00

Jun

1. I won't judge the P5 designs until the game actually comes out. I'm pretty sure that they are deliberately trying to screw with our expectations. Remember: "The protagonist's seemingly docile nature is a profound ruse." There's no reason why this shouldn't be true for the other characters as well, especially when some of them pretty obviously resemble previous characters. It also ties in nicely with the idea of getting judged by outward appearances that Hashino mentioned.
2. Other than the stripes, I don't see that many similiarities between Apollo and Tsukiyomi.
3. The Shadow thing was arguably present in P1 and P3FES as well. I also believe that P4 made far better usage of the Shadows than P2 at least in Innocent Sin.

You act as though Persona 3's plot wasn't a hodge-podge of ideas cribbed from Eternal Punishment.

Persona 3's plot was obviously Evangelion Lite.

The Shadow thing was arguably present in P1 and P3FES as well. I also believe that P4 made far better usage of the Shadows than P2 at least in Innocent Sin.

Yeah, I'd argue that Shadows of people is more of a series trademark than something that can really be attributed to one game. The series is based on Jung's ideas, and shadows are a key part of that.

Lunar15

I'm fine with twin ponytails. I don't mind it on that character and I don't mind it on Rise either. It's just Ann's in particular that look odd. They're so low down on her head that it makes the hair on the top of her head look so flat and rounded.

hughesta

Banned
I really like Anne's design as well. Everyone but Yusuke, really. He just looks bland. But given what's been said about outward appearances not being a reflection of the inner self, I'm sure it'll grow on me once I get to know the character more.

Decided to commission a badge while at Vancoufur, a furry convention in Richmond, BC, for a character I have drawn in Seven Sisters High uniform from Persona 2.
4ZnHRQt.jpg

FluxWaveZ

I love every single thing I've seen of P5, can't find a single thing I dislike.

I'm trying to think if there's something they've shown which I dislike or am worried about and I can't really think of anything. I'm not too into Goemon's design right now, but that's about it.

There is no way that this is how the story ends. That would go against everything Hashino said about the game since it's apparently also about self-empowerment.

I don't keep up with P5 news, I don't care about it that much to be searching for news. And i never talked about it "ending" like that. I'm just saying that i bet something will happen to smack P5MC in the face with a reality check somewhere in the game

I don't keep up with P5 news, I don't care about it that much to be searching for news. And i never talked about it "ending" like that. I'm just saying that i bet something will happen to smack P5MC in the face with a reality check somewhere in the game

I can see that. He seems a bit cocky so it makes sense. They seem to be doing what they're doing willingly to get away from their mundane daily lives, for the feeling of empowerment and the adrenaline (unlike previous games where the characters were forced by the circumstances). Eventually they will find themselves out of their dept and will have to deal with the consequences. I can see that happening.

Now that I think about it, the idea of finding self validation or rebel against the status quo through the persona power was already explored in characters like
Junpei or Yosuke
Regardless, in P5 the characters seem to have more personal motivations to embrace their power beyond being forced to do it because of an evil threat, even if ultimately their objective is a greater good.

daevious

That was my first impression as well, but I've since come around to liking his design a ton.

Also, the smile's great because it defines how different P5MC is from previous Persona protagonists while also showing off what Persona Team's new tech can do.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm in my final semester of college(last two months!). I'm alright if they don't release it yet, as I actually want to pass my classes!

asagami_

Banned
Yeah, I'd argue that Shadows of people is more of a series trademark than something that can really be attributed to one game. The series is based on Jung's ideas, and shadows are a key part of that.

Massive P1 spoilers

Actually there are multiple Shadows from a singular individual one: Maki. I think they are four (the "Maki" that joins to your party, the girls in white and black dress, Pandora), but I am not sure if "Maki" who appears in Snow Queen Quest wearing a mask is the same that "our" Maki. If she was a shadow, then Kandori had his own shadow as well.

btw, I am happy not being alone on thinking that Ann reminds me to Yuka Ayase ;_;

Dantis

Those checked pants though

I predicted there'd be some tartan on the new uniform years ago.

Soejima loves it, and it's pretty stylish.

I'm not into it either.

Don't like twin-tails, and both of her outfits (Casual and thief) are bad.

Glasses-kun's shitty smile is by far the thing that bothers me the most out of all of P5. Most things I can at least justify. The smile, though, I actually hate.

I'm not into it either.

Don't like twin-tails, and both of her outfits (Casual and thief) are bad.

Twin tails and the thief outfit, whatever, but what's your beef with her casual outfit?

Also, costume talk at this point is kinda moot since I bet there's going to be about 20 costumes per character. Some you'll like, some you wont.

EDIT: Also, that would be her school outfit, right? Should we be using casual to describe it? Not uniform?

Dantis

Twin tails and the thief outfit, whatever, but what's your beef with her casual outfit?

Also, costume talk at this point is kinda moot since I bet there's going to be about 20 costumes per character. Some you'll like, some you wont.

EDIT: Also, that would be her school outfit, right? Should we be using casual to describe it? Not uniform?

Yeah, her uniform.

I think it just looks bad. The red leggings are awful.

Also, she'll likely have six 'proper' outfits, really. Like, outfits that we can judge a design upon.

No and I won't because
1) I only have a Vita, 3DS and a PC
2) P4G's ending is
so satisfying and cathartic for me that I don't want to see the cast interacting again after that. It'd destroy the meaning P4G's ending had for me.

Just in case, Arena events happens before P4G's ending so that remains unchanged. But I get what you mean by not wanting to play the spin offs.

Top Bottom