• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Theodoricos

An event for the (supposedly) final P3 movie.

Ah, thank you.

I sure hope it's gonna be good. I enjoyed Falling Down more than any previous P3 movie, though I probably did so because Falling Down covered some of my top favorite scenes in the game.

Either way, if Memories of the School/City doesn't play at any point in the last movie, I'm gonna be really disappointed!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Will PS4 get a Persona Collection?

Recently I bought all the Persona games (that are available to buy/play) on PS3. I started with FES and was really enjoying it, until my console started acting up. Now I'm at a crossroads. Also, for the whole story, I don't have a Vita anymore... cool system I just don't enjoy gaming on handhelds, but I've been told it's kind of required for the best versions of these games.

Releasing a collection on PS4 would solve all my issues (assuming it was a good collection) and, my question is:

Will they? Can they? Should they?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
They won't. They could. Not if it takes away time from other projects.

They have these games scattershot on the various systems, versions... quite hard for a newcomer to get access to it all. Especially when your best versions are on a failed system (not trying to insult, Vita was cool, just saying) yet the property is still very popular and about to release on PS4.

Idk, I guess I'll just play until the PS3 finally eats it for good. Nice send off I guess. Will suck if it's near the end of the game though.

Dantis

Pray for another PS2 classics release of vanilla P4 and FES.

I'd be so down with this.

Don't think you'll get an answer, they didn't answer my deviation question either. Felt like they were just making a slight jab at the P2 games. We like what games we like.

Count the number of games that are structured like P3 or P4.

Now count the number of games that are structured like P2.

It wasn't a jab at all, you sausage, you. I do find it frustrating that if somebody doesn't walk around screaming that P1 and P2 are the best thing since sliced bread then they apparently hate it, though, even in a post that clearly says "P2 is very good".

EURGH. STOP.

Ekai

I'd be so down with this.

Count the number of games that are structured like P3 or P4.

Now count the number of games that are structured like P2.

It wasn't a jab at all, you sausage, you. I do find it frustrating that if somebody doesn't walk around screaming that P1 and P2 are the best thing since sliced bread then they apparently hate it, though, even in a post that clearly says "P2 is very good".

EURGH. STOP.

I didn't say you hated it. I initially said I was confused by your deviation point. The just a jrpg comment also doesn't really make sense either and begets clarification. Air-quoting it like that does read weirdly at best (hence cj's question asking for clarification) and at worst like a jab on the game for somehow not being unique enough. That's the only way I make sense of it. Which is just an odd point to make to me. I'd rather not assume the later and hence my initial attempt to ask for clarification.

I'm not saying it has to be the best thing ever in everyone's eyes. That said, having played through Innocent Sin and starting up Eternal Punishment recently I do personally prefer it far more than I do P3 and P4. Though P3P is near the same quality for me, personally. My comment on "we like what we like" is precisely about people liking whatever game they like. P3, 4, 2, 1 etc. I'm not demeaning people who enjoy the newer Personas. I've clarified that before in my posts. They were my first experience, to be frank. I didn't grow up on the P2 games. All I was advocating at first was clarification on what you meant. A lack of an answer lead me to assume you didn't want to answer those clarification questions. Sorry if that assumption was out of line and upset you, that was not my intention.

cj_iwakura

I really don't get people clamoring for PS4 releases of games that are perfectly available on multiple other systems, that are already localized, but great games still in never-been-localized limbo go overlooked.

Ekai

I really don't get people clamoring for PS4 releases of games that are perfectly available on multiple other systems, that are already localized, but great games still in never-been-localized limbo go overlooked.

I guess I'd attribute that to people not knowing about the games in limbo in the first place? I'd be happy to see what games you mean.

I have taken a similar stance regarding Skies of Arcadia mainly. I have it on GCN but would love a HD-rerelease or a sequel. It's one of my few gaming dreams. And it was robbed in 2015, the year of dreams.

I think people just want what they love on whatever the play on atm without having to hook up an older system.

Id take a ps4 release ONLY if if were remade using the P5 engine. Otherwise, im good with my Ps2 versions on my pc (or golden on vita, which I have yet to get to).

If one powers through the Arena games stories, about how long to fully complete? Who's story is the main one? Narukami?

Ekai

I think people just want what they love on whatever the play on atm without having to hook up an older system.

Id take a ps4 release ONLY if if were remade using the P5 engine. Otherwise, im good with my Ps2 versions on my pc (or golden on vita, which I have yet to get to).

If one powers through the Arena games stories, about how long to fully complete? Who's story is the main one? Narukami?

I can see that, frankly.

As far as Arena 1 goes: it gets very repetitive and even quick reading through text will make it take a little while.
Arena 2 is the same in many regards. They follow a rinse and repeat format of how fights are introduced once you get past the initial intro segments.
Maybe 8 hours per game if you're skipping lots of text? Arena 2 may be less of that. There's segments of actual plot that you wouldn't want to skip that are long though.

SPOILERS is the main story in Arena 1. The P3 and P4 individual cast stories are largely irrelevant, tbh.
Arena 2 is split by P3 and P4, not by characters. And P3 frankly feels more relevant to me.

Guess Who

Banned

You can't just power through one character's story in Arena, as the story will cut off on a "cliffhanger" midway through. You have to finish one P4 character's story up to the cliffhanger, one P3 character's story up to the cliffhanger, then clear Labrys's story (which will only unlock after doing what I just said), then you can clear either the P3 or P4 character's story starting from where the cliffhanger leaves off.

I can see that, frankly.

As far as Arena 1 goes: it gets very repetitive and even quick reading through text will make it take a little while.
Arena 2 is the same in many regards. They follow a rinse and repeat format of how fights are introduced once you get past the initial intro segments.
Maybe 8 hours per game if you're skipping lots of text? Arena 2 may be less of that. There's segments of actual plot that you wouldn't want to skip that are long though.

SPOILERS is the main story in Arena 1. The P3 and P4 individual cast stories are largely irrelevant, tbh.
Arena 2 is split by P3 and P4, not by characters. And P3 frankly feels more relevant to me.
Thanks for that.
You can't just power through one character's story in Arena, as the story will cut off on a "cliffhanger" midway through. You have to finish one P4 character's story up to the cliffhanger, one P3 character's story up to the cliffhanger, then clear Labrys's story (which will only unlock after doing what I just said), then you can clear either the P3 or P4 character's story starting from where the cliffhanger leaves off.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that. I had started the first Arena before everyon said it spoils P3 so I stopped to do that.

Does it spoil The Answer? If it does Ill hold off a little longer until I beat that.

_Ryo_

Continuing the reasons for my preference of Persona 3 over the fourth entry in the series are the depths and evolutions of the main characters. While I concede that in Persona 4, the characters outwardly share a greater sense of camaraderie and interaction among themselves, it can sometimes feel as they are actually too reliant on one another and lack the individual strength or potential to become a great leader. I mean, they all seem so broken every time Yu has to leave for instance. I understand the importance of bonds and all but seems extremely detrimental when there lacks any sense of Independence. In Persona 3 this independence is highlighted by some gameplay mechanics. You can tell your team to split up, and they each can engage battles themselves, they can hunt for treasure themselves, and on the default battles mode the game provides the illusion that they come to their tactical decisions independently as well.

That is not to mention that almost every main character in Persona suffer great personal struggles and loss. Most of them
has permanately lost someone close to them, either by death, betrayal, circumstance, etc.

I'm on mobile right now so I can't go into too much detail but I'll try to provide some short yet incomplete examples.

MC:
Witnesses the death of his parents. Literally has a piece of Deaths essence traped inside his soul.
Junpei:
Has an abusive father. Loses his love in the death of Chidori.
Mitsuru:
Loses several team members, is tasked with leading SEES, is betrayed by her mentor, and watches her father murdered by said mentor
Akihiko:
Has to deal with a bit of a sister complex... :p Loses several team members, including his friend Shinjiro.

And so on and so on for all of the main characters. And I think it's these experience s that grant most of them the resolve to overcome any hardships, and throughout the story they display personal growth, even Junpei who many consider Yosuke's analog in P4 is a person who at the beginning is very immature but by games end shows that he has gained an inspiration to always do the right, and an empathy and understanding for his peers.

One story mode completely spoils The Answer, the others allude to events that happen in it.

Even certain victory quotes at the end of normal matches spoil it, to an extent.

That said, you could always play Arena first and find out the events that way, like I did...

additional:
I mean, since our verdict on The Answer tends to be "Youtube it", it's not like someone's getting deprived of an amazing gaming experience if they learn about its events another way, right? Then again, the Arena games' story mode isn't exactly an amazing experience either.

Decisions decisions...

additional:
I mean, since our verdict on The Answer tends to be "Youtube it", it's not like someone's getting deprived of an amazing gaming experience if they learn about its events another way, right? Then again, the Arena games' story mode isn't exactly an amazing experience either.

Decisions decisions...

Even though I can, id rather much play through it then watch it. Although it's gonna get pushed back a bit more since A. I lost my 360 wireless receiver and B. I have a game to review for a site I do reviews for.

Anyone know how to setup a Ps4 controller to pc?

Persona 3 spoiler
I just realized I bought Persona 3 Portable on Promised Day 2016 lmao

My birthday is on
the anniversary of Shinjiro's death.

Continuing the reasons for my preference of Persona 3 over the fourth entry in the series are the depths and evolutions of the main characters. While I concede that in Persona 4, the characters outwardly share a greater sense of camaraderie and interaction among themselves, it can sometimes feel as they are actually too reliant on one another and lack the individual strength or potential to become a great leader. I mean, they all seem so broken every time Yu has to leave for instance. I understand the importance of bonds and all but seems extremely detrimental when there lacks any sense of Independence. In Persona 3 this independence is highlighted by some gameplay mechanics. You can tell your team to split up, and they each can engage battles themselves, they can hunt for treasure themselves, and on the default battles mode the game provides the illusion that they come to their tactical decisions independently as well.

That is not to mention that almost every main character in Persona suffer great personal struggles and loss. Most of them
has permanately lost someone close to them, either by death, betrayal, circumstance, etc.

I'm on mobile right now so I can't go into too much detail but I'll try to provide some short yet incomplete examples.

MC:
Witnesses the death of his parents. Literally has a piece of Deaths essence traped inside his soul.
Junpei:
Has an abusive father. Loses his love in the death of Chidori.
Mitsuru:
Loses several team members, is tasked with leading SEES, is betrayed by her mentor, and watches her father murdered by said mentor
Akihiko:
Has to deal with a bit of a sister complex... :p Loses several team members, including his friend Shinjiro.

And so on and so on for all of the main characters. And I think it's these experience s that grant most of them the resolve to overcome any hardships, and throughout the story they display personal growth, even Junpei who many consider Yosuke's analog in P4 is a person who at the beginning is very immature but by games end shows that he has gained an inspiration to always do the right, and an empathy and understanding for his peers.
Agreed

FluxWaveZ

Last week's issue of Famitsu specifically teased a new game scoop for the coming week. PlayStation Dengeki did the same, but teased a reveal for a highly anticipated, unannounced game.

Neither of these are Persona 5.

I'll just say March 26.

Persona 3 spoilers

"You don't need to save the world to find meaning in life.
Sometimes, all you need is a simple thing like someone to take care of."

Holy fuck Aigis.

How do you know?

How do you know that if I could truly accept that, it would change my life?

How do you know, god damn it? HOW?!

This is how this game changes lives, people.

I admit that Portable nulled a ton of the impact, and I still prefer P4G overall, but goddamn.

This hits hard.

Persona 3 spoilers

"You don't need to save the world to find meaning in life.
Sometimes, all you need is a simple thing like someone to take care of."

Holy fuck Aigis.

How do you know?

How do you know that if I could truly accept that, it would change my life?

How do you know, god damn it? HOW?!

This is how this game changes lives, people.

I admit that Portable nulled a ton of the impact, and I still prefer P4G overall, but goddamn.

This hits hard.

I'm glad I played this game. The quotes from
Nyx avatar
are all amazing too and many others.

Top Bottom