• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

QuadOpto

Final Fantasy XV's release date will be revealed in 2 weeks and it's looking like that'll be announced before Persona 5's release date will be. Never would have expected that to happen.

Yeaaaaahh it seems like predicting what ATLUS is doing with Persona 5 is sorta impossible at this point. Makes things kinda scary honestly.

I still believe it will be out before FFXV (at least in Japan) though!

...Is that even something to believe in at this point?:p

Yeaaaaahh it seems like predicting what ATLUS is doing with Persona 5 is sorta impossible at this point. Makes things kinda scary honestly.

I still believe it will be out before FFXV (at least in Japan) though!

...Is that even something to believe in at this point?:p

Well the rumour around FFXV is that it's going to launch on September 30th, and that's probably a worldwide release.

TBH, I dont really care if P5 comes out before or after that, I just hope that they're spaced apart well enough so that I can finish one before the other comes out. Although I HIGHLY doubt the localised version of P5 will be out any time soon, probably thinking late 2016/early 2017.

Zolo

The Japanese developers seem pretty confident in a summer release at this point. When it gets localized is another matter.

Sophia

Fortunately what they came up with was actually half decent

He's the only character among the P3 cast who didn't really have much character development in Ultimax.

He's also the only character who didn't really need it, so what they did works out great. :D

cqk1mSK.jpg
Drawing this was both challenging, and rewarding!

Does Atlus hire the same voice actors for everything? Started up Soul Hackers and 3 of the first 6 voices are Persona cast. Catherine was most if not all Persona cast. Anyone else in Soul Hackers from Persona?

Sophia

Does Atlus hire the same voice actors for everything? Started up Soul Hackers and 3 of the first 6 voices are Persona cast. Catherine was most if not all Persona cast. Anyone else in Soul Hackers from Persona?

With a few exceptions here and there, they appear to draw from the same Californian pool of voice actors.

QuadOpto

Don't really know what could be done to make Junpei's design any better.

He's a baseball coach. He was wearing his team's baseball uniform after a game. Probably the most reasonable design out of everybody on the P3 side.

Sophia

Mitsuru and Akihiko were the only two who I really felt had unreasonable designs. Ken is wearing the Gekkoukan uniform (properly!), Yukari is just standard super sentai/pink ranger garb because she's a model/actress, Fuuka's outfit is a cute sundress, and Junpei's just wearing a baseball uniform.

Mitsuru and Akihiko were the only two who I really felt had unreasonable designs. Ken is wearing the Gekkoukan uniform (properly!), Yukari is just standard super sentai/pink ranger garb because she's a model/actress, Fuuka's outfit is a cute sundress, and Junpei's just wearing a baseball uniform.

You left out Aigis getting a snazzy tie.

Also, to play devil's advocate, I think Akihiko's design is fitting for a fighting-obsessed vagrant. Though that could just be me not liking him as a character to begin with.

Yukari's redesign is dumb, dumb, dumb. Sure, that can be what she wears for work, but come on. She's smarter than to fight wearing a costume and wielding a prop. Never mind that all that sentai garbage pervades her actual moveset and characterization during fights so she hardly comes across as Yukari.

Yukari's redesign is dumb, dumb, dumb. Sure, that can be what she wears for work, but come on. She's smarter than to fight wearing a costume and wielding a prop. Never mind that all that sentai garbage pervades her actual moveset and characterization during fights so she hardly comes across as Yukari.

"We're gonna put Yukari in Ultimax!"
"But everyone hated the last time we used her!"
"Alright, so we reduce everything about her from that one. What's left?"
"Her... care of children?"
"... Just have her tell Ken how big he is."
"BRILLIANT!"

PK Gaming

I actually really dig the sentai stuff. They already did the elemental magical girl fighter with Yukiko, so with Yukari they spiced her up and went in a fun direction. The end result is a character who is dynamic, unique and very aesthetically pleasing. Like, she's really fun watch and play, which is important because the non-fighting parts of Ultimax are complete garbage.

p4ultimax_yukari_thumb.jpg

Look at that. That's super dope.

P4U2_Yukari_Magarula.png

"ALL EVIL SHALL TURN TO DUST"

Does that quote not get you pumped?!?!

Does that quote not get you pumped?!?!

No. I was too busy being bummed out by, like you said, the non-fighting parts. :|

edit: Let me add to this. I think it makes sense that Yukari went on to become a sentai actress, given her affinity for kids and her desire to
help people find joy and stop wishing for the fall.
The problem is, like the rest of Ultimax, the lack of nuance.

I think we've had this conversation before, yes, but it's a fine fighting game moveset, but that isn't Yukari. Mechanically she's fine, but if you're going to make up a fighting style for a character keep it true to their character--Yukiko is supposedly graceful and wields a fan, so she's got a style that looks like a dance, P4MC is a goofy tryhard so Yu's fighting style looks like standard shonen hero stuff, Yosuke wields ninja weapons so he bounces around etc. But Yukari isn't a sentai character. It's her quotes and poses and stuff that don't feel like an actual extension of how she actually acts and instead it just overwrites Yukari entirely. She above all the others feels like they pulled a characterization gimmick out of a hat and just gave it to someone. Junpei's characterization gimmick at least feels like it's pulled from Junpei (even if I feel it's way overdone).

PK Gaming

I think we've had this conversation before, yes, but it's a fine fighting game moveset, but that isn't Yukari. Mechanically she's fine, but if you're going to make up a fighting style for a character keep it true to their character--Yukiko is supposedly graceful and wields a fan, so she's got a style that looks like a dance, P4MC is a goofy tryhard so Yu's fighting style looks like standard shonen hero stuff, Yosuke wields ninja weapons so he bounces around etc. But Yukari isn't a sentai character. It's her quotes and poses and stuff that don't feel like an actual extension of how she actually acts and instead it just overwrites Yukari entirely. She above all the others feels like they pulled a characterization gimmick out of a hat and just gave it to someone. Junpei's characterization gimmick at least feels like it's pulled from Junpei (even if I feel it's way overdone).

I got super deja-vu myself, haha.

To be honest, I kind of like it when serious characters act goofy in sequels, and especially in this case where it contrasts significantly with her P3 incarnation. But it's also true that it's not exactly consistent with how Yukari acts, and the moveset really doesn't reflect who she is... Yukari isn't exactly acrobatic.

Yeah, okay that's a fair point of view.

I got super deja-vu myself, haha.

To be honest, I kind of like it when serious characters act goofy in sequels, and especially in this case where it contrasts significantly with her P3 incarnation. But it's also true that it's not exactly consistent with how Yukari acts, and the moveset really doesn't reflect who she is... Yukari isn't exactly acrobatic.

Yeah, okay that's a fair point of view.

I can buy Yukari becoming acrobatic because of her job.

The fuck, I just checked out Kanami's trailer (P4DAN) and I'm normally more on the "let people enjoy their 2000 year dragons" side but she
likens herself TO A COW ffs refers to herself by saying "enjoy every single bite!"- is there some meta-commentary of the idol industry going on or is this just fanservice to the max? Ugh, it's disgusting and I'm saying this as someone who thinks her design is pretty cute.

FluxWaveZ

The fuck, I just checked out Kanami's trailer (P4DAN) and I'm normally more on the "let people enjoy their 2000 year dragons" side but she
likens herself TO A COW ffs refers to herself by saying "enjoy every single bite!"- is there some meta-commentary of the idol industry going on or is this just fanservice to the max? Ugh, it's disgusting and I'm saying this as someone who thinks her design is pretty cute.

"Kanamin Kitchen." It's the idol group's entire gimmick. People made a big deal out of it when the trailer first came out, but it pretty much amounts to nothing.

And yeah, it actually is a form of meta-commentary on the idol industry because that's what the entire story mode is going for.

"Kanamin Kitchen." It's the idol group's entire gimmick. People made a big deal out of it when the trailer first came out, but it pretty much amounts to nothing.

And yeah, it actually is a form of meta-commentary on the idol industry because that's what the entire story mode is going for.

Oh I see, thanks.

I'd kind of hilarious that she was described as being down-to-earth and genuine in the core game. Then we see what she is a few months later and... animal noises. >_>

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
The whole 'we're all edible meats' thing they had going on struck me as super weird. I know pretty much nothing about idol music/culture so I have no idea if it's supposed to be a ridiculous parody of it, or if it's entirely plausible that a group would have as strange a gimmick as that.

FluxWaveZ

The whole 'we're all edible meats' thing they had going on struck me as super weird. I know pretty much nothing about idol music/culture so I have no idea if it's supposed to be a ridiculous parody of it, or if it's entirely plausible that a group would have as strange a gimmick as that.

CQqMGLaW8AAw8KD.jpg:orig

Jintor

I'd kind of hilarious that she was described as being down-to-earth and genuine in the core game. Then we see what she is a few months later and... animal noises. >_>

I mean, she is, right? i only played in jpn but i always got the impression it was another 'idol/normal girl' divide thing.

it's why her (best) normal design is so downbeat.

muteki

The fact that there's a real-life inspiration behind Kanamin Kitchen is both hilarious and horrifying to me.

EDIT: The pun in "Hamburgirl" tips it into painful funny.

The 'Z' at the end makes it.

Only needs an integer at the end and it would be perfect.

PK Gaming

I didn't give it much thought before, but the P5 cast share traits with the core members of the P2 cast.

P5MC & Tatsuya = ???
Ryuuji & Eikichi = Delinquents
Anne & Lisa = Blond hair, blue eyes, etc
Jun & Yusuke = Appearance, both go to a different school

The more I think about it, the more parallels crop up. Even the main colors are the same. Huh, wonder if they'll go somewhere with those parallels.

Top Bottom