• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Lunar15

Like with Ultimax (and arguably P4 in some cases), I think it's more just using elements of the series' past in new ideas rather than any direct continuation of anything.

Comes off as lazy to me, if I'm being honest.

PK Gaming

Like with Ultimax (and arguably P4 in some cases), I think it's more just using elements of the series' past in new ideas rather than any direct continuation of anything.

Comes off as lazy to me, if I'm being honest.

Oh, i'm not naive enough to think that its a direct continuation of P2 but rather...

It's like a visual callback. Like how in certain games/manga/etc, a character might blatantly reference a another character.

Whether its in their design or through their actions. I think its neat honestly. I think that'll apply most to Yusuke for obvious reasons.

Setsu00

I didn't give it much thought before, but the P5 cast share traits with the core members of the P2 cast.

P5MC & Tatsuya = ???
Ryuuji & Eikichi = Delinquents
Anne & Lisa = Blond hair, blue eyes, etc
Jun & Yusuke = Appearance, both go to a different school

The more I think about it, the more parallels crop up. Even the main colors are the same. Huh, wonder if they'll go somewhere with those parallels.

I said this before, but I honestly believe that the similiarties are intentional. Soejima mentioned in the P4 artbook that P5 would be infinitely harder to keep fresh than P4 since people would know what to expect from the developers after having played both P3 and P4. So what do you do? You can either do just that and make P5 another rehash of P3's formula and cast or you try something different and play with people's expectations. P5 seems to be going down the second path, or at least I'm willing to give them the benefit of doubt until the game comes out.

When P5's main character was first revealed, many concluded from his appearance that he must be quiet and shy. However, the first actual trailer demonstrated that he seems to be nothing like that: Instead of a shy nerd we got a phantom thief. Hashino actually mentioned in the last Persona Magazine interview that something similiar is also true for Yusuke in that his illustration doesn't reflect his personality.

Sophia

I didn't give it much thought before, but the P5 cast share traits with the core members of the P2 cast.

P5MC & Tatsuya = ???
Ryuuji & Eikichi = Delinquents
Anne & Lisa = Blond hair, blue eyes, etc
Jun & Yusuke = Appearance, both go to a different school

The more I think about it, the more parallels crop up. Even the main colors are the same. Huh, wonder if they'll go somewhere with those parallels.

Persona 5 has a lot of parallels with Persona 2 in general.
Like the fact that we're apparently fighting demons again instead of Shadows.

Persona 5 has a lot of parallels with Persona 2 in general.
Like the fact that we're apparently fighting demons again instead of Shadows.
I think the developers referred to them as Personas, not demons, and I think that's a very intentional distinction.

Mediking

I hope Persona 5 doesn't have long boss fights who have super high HP. That's prolly the only thing I hate about turn based games... the super long boss fights can break a guy. I was playing Final Fantasy X HD earlier today and I fought two bosses that took freaking forever to beat.... Its incredibly rewarding to win but jeez.

I hope Persona 5 doesn't have long boss fights who have super high HP. That's prolly the only thing I hate about turn based games... the super long boss fights can break a guy. I was playing Final Fantasy X HD earlier today and I fought two bosses that took freaking forever to beat.... Its incredibly rewarding to win but jeez.

I have no problem as long as it isn't repeating the same thing over and over again without any risk.

So would I be remiss to think that this is basically a reboot of how this universe functions?
Well, P4's world building rules feel entirely separate from P3's in my opinion, but I don't think this is a reboot of the rules at all. What it seems to me:
You're still encountering Shadows--that's what they appear as on the dungeon maps: Shadows that wear masks just like always. But when you encounter them, they shed their masks--either by the party removing them with their abilities or by the Shadows own volition or due to something happening in P5 or whatever. Their masks are removed, and their "true" Persona form is revealed, and that's what you fight. Personas and Shadows are the same thing, after all. That's what it comes across to me at least. Lore wise the enemies are probably still "Shadows," but this way allows them to use the traditional demons as enemies and gives an in universe explanation as to why the enemies roaming in dungeons can all look the same but the things you fight be all different.

Neither Persona 3 or 4 had any notably long boss fights, outside of maybe
Nyx.

So it will probably be fine.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
they're not even teasing anything. i know march is far from over but i voted yes on that poll (unless that interview with the employee counts as persona 5 in march)

FluxWaveZ

Next week will be the rebroadcast for the final P4GA episode, after episode 11 aired today. Actually did think it had some meaning before, but now... Though the P3M x Walkman collab. was announced during one of the reruns.

Not everything can be The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and stealthily have a
terrible
full season of
terrible
new episodes spliced into an otherwise innocuous-looking rerun.

FluxWaveZ

Not everything can be The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and stealthily have a
terrible
full season of
terrible
new episodes spliced into an otherwise innocuous-looking rerun.

I was thinking more along the lines of the last episode of the Steins;Gate rebroadcast.

Aside: Persona 4 was announced yesterday, 8 years ago. Persona 3 was announced 11 days ago, 10 years ago.

Lunar15

I was thinking more along the lines of the last episode of the Steins;Gate rebroadcast.

Aside: Persona 4 was announced yesterday, 8 years ago. Persona 3 was announced 11 days ago, 10 years ago.

Both came out in July too, didn't they? I doubt that means anything anymore, but it is interesting that they had roughly the same announce-release schedule.

VR 3D Persona Fighter, developed by Namco. You see a first person view, with your Persona aside you, and control both in a 1v1 match against another Persona User/Shadow Self.

To be honest, minus the first person thing, if they could do another persona fighting game in the style of JJBA:ASB, but, you know.....good, Id buy it.

MSMrRound

Speaking of fighting games, I still can't forget the first time I brought Persona 4 Arena to play with my fellow sergeant in the company office when we were doing our National Service. (Yay spreading the Persona love!)

He had previously finished Persona 3 and had no prior knowledge that there was a fighting game spinoff.

For our first match I tried Elizabeth (I'm not that much into fighting games so I don't have a real main) and as soon as "Battle for Everyone's Souls" came soon, the look of shock/recognition on his face was awesome to behold

"Wait...isn't this...THAT theme!?"

He looked like he was so done.

Sophia

I'd rather just have another 2D style fighter, but with Xrd's look. Playing SFV a bunch has made me want that so much more.

Well, as long as they move away from 2D art itself. I like the spritework and all, but it's too limiting in today's day and age. Regardless of the developer or style, 3D graphics in the style of Xrd or CyberConnect2's games would help a lot. Plus we'd get cool things like alternative costumes and such easier, as a character doesn't have to be redrawn every time. So those who don't like Super Sentai Yukari could use P3 Yukari or epilogue Yukari.

So, a combination of boredom and procrastination caused me to go back and look at that Hashino video interview from around TGS. I don't think it's anything super new or exciting, but I noticed that there's an "Assist" button listed on the bottom of the screen at around the 1m57s mark. No idea what it might end up doing, but it could be interesting. Apologies if this is old.

Top Bottom