• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Disagree 100%. P4A and P4AU's sprites are terrific.

Agreed. Where's that gif of Mitsuru's victory pose?

P4A sprite work is great still
tumblr_ncbrjtH9rt1rqmw1fo1_500.gif

*THWACK*

OW! MY EYE!

Well, as long as they move away from 2D art itself. I like the spritework and all, but it's too limiting in today's day and age. Regardless of the developer or style, 3D graphics in the style of Xrd or CyberConnect2's games would help a lot. Plus we'd get cool things like alternative costumes and such easier, as a character doesn't have to be redrawn every time. So those who don't like Super Sentai Yukari could use P3 Yukari or epilogue Yukari.
if they do Xrd style (which is easily the best looking 2D fighter) alternate costumes still arent happening

P4A sprite work is great still
tumblr_ncbrjtH9rt1rqmw1fo1_500.gif

Olengie

Well, as long as they move away from 2D art itself. I like the spritework and all, but it's too limiting in today's day and age. Regardless of the developer or style, 3D graphics in the style of Xrd or CyberConnect2's games would help a lot. Plus we'd get cool things like alternative costumes and such easier, as a character doesn't have to be redrawn every time. So those who don't like Super Sentai Yukari could use P3 Yukari or epilogue Yukari.

I would be down for Xrd Style Persona Arena

Zolo

Knowing what you know about me, you're surprised?

I think his day to day design is excellent. It's exactly what I expected from Soejima.

His thief outfit looks like it's from Ultimax or something though. It looks embarassingly uncool and is seemingly completely unaware of the fact. The smile and the magic clothes just make the whole thing seem really dumb to me.

I think I just want a version of the game without any of the RPG stuff. Just give me the social sim. Cut out all the thief guff and you have a much more appealing game in my eyes.

The wording on that has always bothered me. It's not profound, it's silly.

Looked back at Naoto's social link, and I couldn't help thinking back to this comment for a bit. xD

So I decided to play through P3 after beating P4G and I went with P3P not knowing The Answer wasn't included. Is it worth it to play through FES or should I just find a video and watch it?

So I decided to play through P3 after beating P4G and I went with P3P not knowing The Answer wasn't included. Is it worth it to play through FES or should I just find a video and watch it?

The Answer isn't liked all that much, amounts to 4hrs or so of cutscenes. I downloaded and watched one. Was just fine.

Also, is P3FES not an option? P3P, due to navigation being via a cursor outside of dungeons and storytelling occurring only through sprites, is not anywhere as immersive as P4G. (I'm saying this as someone who played P4G and P3P with only a month in between and while I loved P3, the lack of 3D environments and cutscenes severely hurt my experience).

The Answer isn't liked all that much, amounts to 4hrs or so of cutscenes. I downloaded and watched one. Was just fine.

Also, is P3FES not an option? P3P, due to navigation being via a cursor outside of dungeons and storytelling occurring only through sprites, is not anywhere as immersive as P4G. (I'm saying this as someone who played P4G and P3P with only a month in between and while I loved P3, the lack of 3D environments and cutscenes severely hurt my experience).

It was definitely an option I considered, but not having control over my party basically made me choose P3P. I do feel like I'm missing out a lot by not having real cutscenes though :(

I think for your first run the environments really matter much more.

Yeah that's probably true lol

I played through P4G twice back to back for the true ending, so I might just play through FES when I'm done just to see everything I've missed

Playing FES is worth it, buuuuuuuut

P3P is also a good choice if you went with FeMC.

I went with maleMC since it was my first time. Is FeMC that much different?

Meia

It was definitely an option I considered, but not having control over my party basically made me choose P3P. I do feel like I'm missing out a lot by not having real cutscenes though :(

Not having total control isn't really a big deal since the AI follows specific rules, to the point that it's easy to get them to do what you want them to do anyway as long as you're aware of them.

That being said, the Answer is exceedingly tedious to play through and very RNG heavy early on. A challenge is one thing, almost any enemy with a weakness having a 50% chance to dodge said weakness and stomp you as a result isn't fun, like at all.

That said, there's a few places on youtube to just watch a full playthrough of it, including the cutscenes, so I'd recommend that more.

I went with maleMC since it was my first time. Is FeMC that much different?

P3P came out after Persona 4, and it shows. FeMC has different social links, including ones for every member of SEES(some of the new non-SEES ones are probably the best they've done in the modern Persona games), and more options from a gameplay perspective too(also full party control if it is a big deal).

I find FeMC the superior playthrough of Persona 3, but the perspective of it/no in-game acted out scenes kind of kills it.

Zolo

FeMc benefits from her path being made post Persona 4 while MaleMC suffers from having to retain his from the original game making it so he doesn't have social links with the male teammates.

The FeMC route has the best writing out of any modern Persona (post-EP) thing, true facts. The improvements they made puts it way above P4, which I already rank above vanilla P3.

cj_iwakura

Play it. P3's core concepts driven to the max, and it's an intense uphill battle. I loved it.

Dantis

A note on the VR thing (May have already been pointed out, I dunno): The list is most likely a list of devs who have been given VR dev kits, rather than devs who are actively working on a title they plan to release. It's more than likely that we'll never actually see a VR release from Atlus.

I like good sprite art but P4A's sprites have always been pretty mediocre, honestly.

It's... fine, I guess?

It's stylistically miles away from Persona though, and that's always been my issue with it.

Looked back at Naoto's social link, and I couldn't help thinking back to this comment for a bit. xD

Lol.

Lunar15

The Phantom Thief stuff is beyond absurd and the costume designs are goofy as hell, but for some reason it hits a lot of right notes for me. I really enjoy the idea of what they're going for there.

I think that if they really do a good job at the real world sections and keep a good level of down-to-earth, grounded conversations there, I'll be fine with the whole package. I really enjoyed the dichotomy of P3/4's weird shit-to-normal life stuff, so I can't see why I wouldn't accept what P5 is trying to do. The only times I get nervous is when I see stuff like the MC doing the whole thief shtick in front of the real police and on the big screen downtown.

I do think what makes P5's stuff seem a little crazier is how central the MC is to the zaniness. In 3 and 4, you really just seem like a normal person with all this weird crazy stuff going on around you. Part of the fun is just seeing that stuff roll off the protagonist as they get surrounded by weirder and weirder characters. P5's MC is actively engaging in these plots, he's basically one of the characters this time. He's a catalyst. He honestly seems like the craziest person in the bunch and is responsible for getting normal people caught up in his pace.

On one hand, I do like this sort of agency being given to the protagonist, but on the other, it's going to lose some of that feel that 3 and 4 had.

I haven't been here in ages, just got hit with Persona 3 nostalgia ;____;
What do you guys think of the Persona 3 movies now that all 4 have been released?

Mediking

LOL is anyone gonna change the OT for this thread? The 2015 release date dream is dead.

We gotta wait until Sony's E3 for the release date.

I'm not even sure we'll have a NA release date at E3. Probably a release window, but I don't think the date is a sure thing.

Atlus USA don't usually make a big deal out of release date announcements. We'll get a placeholder when preorders open, which may end up being the date, or it may be a month or two after it.

Atlus USA don't usually make a big deal out of release date announcements. We'll get a placeholder when preorders open, which may end up being the date, or it may be a month or two after it.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. If E3 comes and goes without an official NA date it's not a big deal. I just hope preorders are open by then.

Makio

At least i hope a localizaded version of PV03 (with dub included) in E3.

A release window could be cool , but they always announce release dates without any big announcements and shit .... so im not surprised if dont get anything more besides "Fall / Winter" 2016-2017.

Have we given up on Summer 2016 release 0_0

The 4th one isn't out internationally yet

When it does, i'll be crying my eyes out and feeling dead inside once again

;____;

I'm a bit disappointed in the deviations from the game and Minato's characterisation but the ending will be memorable no doubt.

Heh, third movie is my favorite so far from the movies we have right now

I'm really digging the heavy atmosphere in the 4th one. I think the 1st is still my favourite.

Top Bottom