• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

MSMrRound

Not Persona related, but this thread has put me on to some good games in the past, and based on recommendations here/from a bunch of you over on gaming side I've just received delivery of 999 and Virtue's Last Reward.

My mind is ready to be blown.

I wanted to try it, but locked room games really isn't for me=/

There was the tribute to ZE in Danganronpa 2.
I used Monokuma coins to skip it /confession

I'm taking my sweet time getting through 999. I gotta get that done and import and run through VLR before Zero Time Dilemma is out.

The escape rooms kinda interrupt the story's pacing imo, but I'm hoping they'll click eventually.

Beat P4G again. Probably my last time playing through P4, it takes me too long. But it's always a good feeling at the ending.

EDIT: Maybe I'll finally get around to drawing some more Persona stuff.

FluxWaveZ

Neat art of the P5 cast from @ibisF5 (posted Ann before):
CbResXbUAAAvZXW.jpg:orig
Cb5g0LpUkAAj62a.jpg:orig
CcVyH6AUAAEQUlA.jpg:orig

Cc3MlwRUYAAyjhY.jpg:orig
CdToEVQUYAA3Wnm.jpg:orig
The chains are definitely one of my favorite aspect of new Persona summoning, though I think we've only seen it with the protagonist so far.

Decarabia

i still cant quite figure out why 999 bored me so much...but I never finished it

I don't know how far you got, but, at least for me, the worst part in that game is getting to the first ending, because the pacing feels really odd and you don't really get to know/like any of the characters. I do feel that the game, as a whole, picks up after that, though.

Oh, I just realized my first comment here isn't even about Persona. Sorry!

Sophia

Kind of maddening to think we still have so little concrete details on P5. What is Hashino doing?

I might have thought along these lines before the huge TGS blowout, but now we have quite a few details if you ask me. We just need a release date, the remaining party members, and maybe some combat footage/info and we're golden.

cj_iwakura

I might have thought along these lines before the huge TGS blowout, but now we have quite a few details if you ask me. We just need a release date, the remaining party members, and maybe some combat footage/info and we're golden.

By and large we still have very little, it was all derived from snippets of footage. P3 and P4 had massive blowout trailers by this point in time.

We still don't even know how the social linking will work(if it's even in).

Sophia

By and large we still have very little, it was all derived from snippets of footage. P3 and P4 had massive blowout trailers by this point in time.

We still don't even know how the social linking will work(if it's even in).

P3 and P4 also had much shorter advertising periods too. I'm sure we'll get a Famitsu/Dengeki blowout sometime around the time we get the release date, whenever or however that may be.

We know enough about the story/themes of P5 now, they don't really need to talk much more about that before release. So I'd expect the next blowout to be much more focused on mechanics, which we don't really know much about yet. And another charecter reveal ofc.

Neat art of the P5 cast from @ibisF5 (posted Ann before):

The chains are definitely one of my favorite aspect of new Persona summoning, though I think we've only seen it with the protagonist so far.

I like the art! Thanks for sharing.

As for the chains, they've also shown up when Ryuuji summons Captain Kidd in PV#3 and the September Famitsu scans. So that's something. I'm guessing every character/persona combo will have chains, we just haven't seen most yet.

FluxWaveZ

As for the chains, they've also shown up when Ryuuji summons Captain Kidd in PV#3 and the September Famitsu scans. So that's something. I'm guessing every character/persona combo will have chains, we just haven't seen most yet.

Oh yeah, they are shown with Ryuji; I've been trying to not look at the released media too deeply, but I had to check for that. Chains are definitely going to be a universal motif with the characters' Personas. Wonder how it'll look in motion during combat.

The chains also represent what I think might be more of an antagonistic or conflicting relationship between the user and their Persona than before, but that's just speculation. Could also be a way to symbolize the total opposite, reinforcing the symbiosis between both entities.

FluxWaveZ

I think it's an analogue for breaking free from the chains of society, since that's a major theme this time around.

It's not that simple when it comes to what it would signify in terms of a character's relationship to their Persona. In every single Persona game, their Persona IS the power the characters have to confront society's obstacles and overcome them.

From what you're saying, the fact that a character would now be "chained" to their Persona would be a negative thing, ala Strega. They'd want to break free from the chains that bind them to their other self, because the characters' Personas represent themselves, not society.

Combine that with Arsene's extensive monologue towards the protagonist and some of what's been said about the game, and there could be implications of a more complicated relationship between a character and their Persona.

It's not that simple when it comes to what it would signify in terms of a character's relationship to their Persona. In every single Persona game, their Persona IS the power the characters have to confront society's obstacles and overcome them.

From what you're saying, the fact that a character would now be "chained" to their Persona would be a negative thing, ala Strega. They'd want to break free from the chains that bind them to their other self, because the characters' Personas represent themselves, not society.

Combine that with Arsene's extensive monologue towards the protagonist and some of what's been said about the game, and there could be implications of a more complicated relationship between a character and their Persona.

I'm always bad at interpreting this stuff. That sounds AMAZING.

The chains also represent what I think might be more of an antagonistic or conflicting relationship between the user and their Persona than before, but that's just speculation. Could also be a way to symbolize the total opposite, reinforcing the symbiosis between both entities.

Don't you mean the "bond"? -_-

PK Gaming

Beat P4G again. Probably my last time playing through P4, it takes me too long. But it's always a good feeling at the ending.

EDIT: Maybe I'll finally get around to drawing some more Persona stuff.

ooh can you draw your interpretation of shadow yu?!

that would be SICK

like, i could imagine you giving him a scar and TWO badass katana swords

and your shadow yu would be super smug. he'd have an expression that basically screams "bonds are dumb"

man, that would own so hard

Setsu00

ooh can you draw your interpretation of shadow yu?!

that would be SICK

like, i could imagine you giving him a scar and TWO badass katana swords

and your shadow yu would be super smug. he'd have an expression that basically screams "bonds are dumb"

man, that would own so hard

Do you know what screams "I hate bonds" more than anything else? Red, spiky hair.

Setsu00

The salt that would flow if Sho was in P5...

As demonstrated by my tantrum a couple of threads earlier, I would be very upset if Sho was in P5. However, I would love to see him return in a future spin-off game. The character has so much potential that it hurts to see what they did to him in Ultimax.

Mediking

Was it that obvious? I remember my first thoughts didn't go much further than
oh JYB is in this doing his JYB voice.

It's pretty obvious. I read so many detective books and detective shows. It was an immediate red flag when I saw
Adachi
for the 1st time.

Adachi
also keeps reappearing in the most cheesiest of ways in the game.

Anyways when I said I'd draw something P4 related yesterday, I lied, I actually started on these a couple weeks ago:

Go here for more info. Haven't done one of these in a long, long time.

Always nice to see stuff about Sayoko aka "superior Devil s-link" aka "clingy seductress done right, (glares) Rise". Good job!

Kazzy

i still cant quite figure out why 999 bored me so much...but I never finished it

The mountains of dialogue probably didn't help. For as much as I like the Danganronpa games, I can only really play them in short bursts, because of the way they are presented.

These type of games in particular, are so verbose, and so convoluted, that I'm sometimes surprised at how many people actually manage to finish them.

All great P1 choices above. For P2:

Aoba Park, Knights of the Holy Lance(IS version), Kasugayama HS(IS version), Maya's Theme, Clair de Lune, all the Velvet Room variations(can't recall my favorite district, I'll find the link later), and both variations of the clothing shop(drawing a blank at the moment).

You forgot the best one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3By2_ycEaQc

EDIT: Morimoto hospital is also really good because it's one of the few tracks that is improved in the PSP version (the original's still good, of course).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp5MgGK2wXQ (Original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swdFtBmOKeg (Updated)

Thanks. Im going to try and hunt down a copy of the Revelations Persona OST if one exists at a non stupid price.

The mountains of dialogue probably didn't help. For as much as I like the Danganronpa games, I can only really play them in short bursts, because of the way they are presented.

These type of games in particular, are so verbose, and so convoluted, that I'm sometimes surprised at how many people actually manage to finish them.
I have no problem going straight through danganronpa, its just 999 I couldnt do. Its probably just the whole visual novel thing...Danganronpa has a lot more in common with adventure games than it does visual novels

Sophia

Heh.... I can't remember how fast I finished Danganronpa 1, but it was like... two or three days or something at best? I like verbose stuff. :p

cj_iwakura

Heh.... I can't remember how fast I finished Danganronpa 1, but it was like... two or three days or something at best? I like verbose stuff. :p

Fate/Stay Night would break you. That was just too much ado about nothing. I speed read and that still took me months.

cj_iwakura

Dood, I used to have a Fate/Stay Night avatar. Nasuverse stuff is some of my favorites. =P

His core writing and major story beats are great, but he wastes waaaaay too much time on Special Cooking Works. Don't get me started on the eroge, blech.

Also, supposedly he's up there with ZUN as being very protective of his works to the point of being a nightmare to work with. Aksys pretty much all but said that he's the reason we aren't getting CCC.

Top Bottom