• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

4c51fba8_thumb.jpg

They represent each game with the school emblems in the anniversary logo. That's not something they'll ever move away from within the Persona series.

Honestly, I think it's best that Atlus does what they're good at. If someone wants to use a different kind of cast (western, college, both?) for a game like this, then I'm pretty sure they're free to make their own.

Zolo

Honestly, I think it's best that Atlus does what they're good at. If someone wants to use a different kind of cast (western, college, both?) for a game like this, then I'm pretty sure they're free to make their own.

I admit I'd still like to see them do experiments every now and then though like Catherine instead of just always working on the same franchises. A new IP using the assets from Persona 5 in the vein of Raidou or Digital Devil Saga would be really cool.

This used to come up when the "why no adults?" discussion was way more prominent and I don't know about you, but I'm (not) an expert on Japanese culture, so someone else will have to give a better explanation, but I think it was typically suggested moving them to college would mess up the social mojo they have going.

Like once you do college, you can't really do clubs and things. The dynamic is just very different from high school. I think that's what was said.

Edit: And noting Catherine is good, since when they did make that - a game with adults - they crafted it to them and their experience. They're none to interested in retrofitting current Persona game design to fit an adult cast, clearly.

I remember, back in those days when P5 was unknown, a lot of people wanted/speculated it to have a university setting (including me). I don't think a lot would change, at least with my experience of uni and the characters of P5 already look like they could fit in. Though I guess it must be different in Japan (?). At the very least, I can understand there being a certain fondness to the highschool setting and it appealing to that age group.

I remember, back in those days when P5 was unknown, a lot of people wanted/speculated it to have a university setting (including me). I don't think a lot would change, at least with my experience of uni and the characters of P5 already look like they could fit in. Though I guess it must be different in Japan (?). At the very least, I can understand there being a certain fondness to the highschool setting and it appealing to that age group.

I remember the hope was either "post-secondary" or "sequel to Arena".
I hope P5 doesn't get too close to the spinoffs.

Squire

Banned

That's what it always came down to. That people thought it made sense, but from the perspective of their own western uni experience as opposed to Japan's, which is apparently substantially different and less interesting than high school, with regards to narrative purposes.

Zolo

I'd be surprised if P5 gives P4 anything more than a minor cameo, and even more surprised if it acknowledges the spinoffs exist at all

Yeah. The devs have made it clear they want entry to ultimately be its own thing. If I remember right, the spinoffs aren't even written by the main writers, so it really doesn't matter whether they're canon or not as far as the main series is concerned.

FluxWaveZ

I'd be surprised if P5 gives P4 anything more than a minor cameo, and even more surprised if it acknowledges the spinoffs exist at all

I've seen some speculation that Sae Niijima and the authority figures in the know in Persona 5 are the Shadow Operatives, and that just makes me shake my head.

I just want to say that this part is great.

Yeah, I do like that part. The normal, high school life is the "persona" of the series while the supernatural and hidden counterpart would be its "shadow." Cogent.

Squire

Banned
Yeah. The devs have made it clear they want entry to ultimately be its own thing. If I remember right, the spinoffs aren't even written by the main writers, so it really doesn't matter whether they're canon or not as far as the main series is concerned.

Yep. The spin-offs are honestly no more than merchandising in terms of how they effect the main games.

Which is to say they obviously have no effect at all.

Zolo

Whatever happened to Elizabeth's Minato related quest ;)

Eventually, the Earth blew up and humanity migrated to outer space, so Minato no longer needed to protect the Earth.

I'm also calling Minato, Minato again now that we have another character called Makoto.

Squire

Banned
We will never know. I expect we will be getting references made towards Elizabeth through the persona franchise but a definitive answer on what eventually happen is anyone's guess.

I bet it's Caroline and/or Justine making an offhand comment about their sister being a huge weirdo, at most.

Eventually, the Earth blew up and humanity migrated to outer space, so Minato no longer needed to protect the Earth.

I'm also calling Minato, Minato again now that we have another character called Makoto.

But its so clearly deliberate given the hilarious FeMCxAkihiko nature of P5!Makoto's design and combat style.

FluxWaveZ

Aside: Anyone getting Odin Sphere Leifthrasir in a few weeks? June's actually going to be a decent month for Atlus output, from that game, to the E3 2016 P5 stuff, to TMS #FE.

cj_iwakura

Aside: Anyone getting Odin Sphere Leifthrasir in a few weeks? June's actually going to be a decent month for Atlus output, from that game, to the E3 2016 P5 stuff, to TMS #FE.

Not I. Unlike Muramasa, the original had a stellar localization(and I spent waaaaaay too long on that game), so I have no interest in doubling down.

FluxWaveZ

I still need to get to Dragon's Crown; the only one I've played for an extended period of time was Muramasa. That game was alright for what I played of it, but the Japanese demo of OSL actually did blow me away unexpectedly. That plus all of the "this is a masterpiece" impressions I've been hearing from Japan make me highly anticipate it.

It'll be a good way to pass the week until June 14th.

cj_iwakura

Wait, whatcha mean...? I have Muramasa Rebirth on Vita. It had a bad localization??????

The Vita version is the second release, it was originally on the Wii.

Even Aksys' localization is far from perfect, just much more professional. Takes a lot of liberties, like the Kitsune woman yelling at the top of her lungs when she's saying menacing things in very polite speech.

The original was only marginally better than a google translate.

cj_iwakura

I still need to get to Dragon's Crown; the only one I've played for an extended period of time was Muramasa. That game was alright for what I played of it, but the Japanese demo of OSL actually did blow me away unexpectedly. That plus all of the "this is a masterpiece" impressions I've been hearing from Japan make me highly anticipate it.

It'll be a good way to pass the week until June 14th.

Odin Sphere is a masterpiece, there's no doubt about that.

But it's easily a 40-60+ hour venture if you want the true ending.

FluxWaveZ

Odin Sphere is a masterpiece, there's no doubt about that.

But it's easily a 40-60+ hour venture if you want the true ending.

For the original, though, you hear a lot of talk about the rough and repetitive/tedious gameplay. Leifthrasir is apparently a whole new game in that regard, which is pretty promising.

cj_iwakura

For the original, though, you hear a lot of talk about the rough and repetitive/tedious gameplay. Leifthrasir is apparently a whole new game in that regard, which is pretty promising.

I'm not sure how they'll change it, since a lot of that is from the fact that you have to replay the exact same areas and bosses with the different characters' story modes.

Mediking

The Vita version is the second release, it was originally on the Wii.

Even Aksys' localization is far from perfect, just much more professional. Takes a lot of liberties, like the Kitsune woman yelling at the top of her lungs when she's saying menacing things in very polite speech.

The original was only marginally better than a google translate.

Lol wow... I had no idea. I freaking love Aksys and Vanillaware for Muramasa Rebirth. I thought it was mature and fun.

cj_iwakura

Lol wow... I had no idea. I freaking love Aksys and Vanillaware for Muramasa Rebirth. I thought it was mature and fun.

It's a fantastic version, I'm just nitpicking. Aksys have some of the best localizers in the business.

Just so happens they also have the most widely variable taste in what they publish. They do both fantastic gems and absolute garbage.

Consider that someone thought localizing Langrisser 3DS was a good idea and never wanted to go after Fate/Extra CCC, widely regarded as one of the best games on the PSP, and a massive improvement over the original(which was already a big success for Aksys).

Actually, let me elaborate: they contract some of the best. I've recently learned they don't use exclusively in-house writers. Chrono Phantasma had contractors.

FluxWaveZ

On the topic of vanillaware, wonder how many years it will be before they mention Aegis Rim again :p

Ok, it will probably be at TGS.

I could see 13 Sentinels being at the pre-TGS SCEJA conference, if they're still going to be having those. I wonder if Atlus will actually go to TGS this time around or skip it like they had been doing in the past since Persona 5 comes out the same day that the show officially starts.

Mediking

It's a fantastic version, I'm just nitpicking. Aksys have some of the best localizers in the business.

Just so happens they also have the most widely variable taste in what they publish. They do both fantastic gems and absolute garbage.

Consider that someone thought localizing Langrisser 3DS was a good idea and never wanted to go after Fate/Extra CCC, widely regarded as one of the best games on the PSP, and a massive improvement over the original(which was already a big success for Aksys).

Actually, let me elaborate: they contract some of the best. I've recently learned they don't use exclusively in-house writers. Chrono Phantasma had contractors.

I hear you! Isn't Aksys behind Mind Zero? Lol that game is so bad and I REALLY and I mean REALLY gave it chance.

cj_iwakura

I hear you! Isn't Aksys behind Mind Zero? Lol that game is so bad and I REALLY and I mean REALLY gave it chance.

Yep, that was them. I don't think their staff even post here that often anymore, they're probably (rightfully) afraid of being slammed for some of the garbage they've been bringing over.

Tokyo Twilight was a gem, but I think they've been doing serious damage to their name with crap like Langrisser, Mind Zero, and Magus.

Maybe they have to keep localizing something just to keep afloat, but there has to be better games out there than that.

Mediking

Yep, that was them. I don't think their staff even post here that often anymore, they're probably (rightfully) afraid of being slammed for some of the garbage they've been bringing over.

Tokyo Twilight was a gem, but I think they've been doing serious damage to their name with crap like Langrisser, Mind Zero, and Magus.

Maybe they have to keep localizing something just to keep afloat, but there has to be better games out there than that.

Mind Zero = how NOT to make a Persona clone or wannabe. How do you mess up a Persona clone?!?!?! I wish I was in charge of a Persona clone game! It definitely wouldn't end up like Mind Zero.

daevious

Re: Vanillaware games

Each and every one one of you chuckleheads need to play GrimGrimoire

One of my biggest gaming regrets has been passing this up a decade ago. In my defense, I didn't have the money to spend on my own things and I've never found another copy since.

I'm watching the full Persona Super Live 2015 and it's crazy how as awesome as the concert is, the debut of P5's first PV manages to top it. As a trailer, that's still one of - if not the - best trailers for any media I've seen. That must have been fun to have attended in person.

Top Bottom