• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Squire

Banned
Are the devs also gonna be at E3, or is it just Atlus USA? Or perhaps, do we not know?

Them mentioning LA on the stream suggests the devs would be there, but I'm not sure if it's been outright confirmed.

I think Soejima was there last year. I would expect Hashino and co. to be on hand for interviews though.

The Phantom Thieves will be at least.

Maybe they'll have some of the devs, they've had a few at E3 in the past after all.

Gpd, they better be in English.

And the reason the towel is there, yes?

I'm expecting the scene to be like this:

*Anne walks out*
Ryuji: OMG SO HAWT
*Makoto walks out*
Ryuji: OMG SO CLASS
*Futaba walks out*
Ryuji: OMG YOUR FACE
Futaba: Huh?
Makoto: You can't dress like that on the beach, Futaba-san.
*Makoto removes towel*

No, no, NO

It's going to be like this

The gang: You're coming to the beach with us, right Futaba-san/chan?
Futaba: I'd rather not...
The party: Come onnnnnnnnnn, it'll be great
Futaba: Fine...
(Futaba shows up to the beach, but she has a towel covering her face because she's afraid of showing it to others)
The kids: (stunned expressions)
Futaba: Erm, this should be fine yes?
Ryuji: Not fine, this isn't fine at all. You have a towel covering your face!?!
Anne: This again? You look fine.
Makoto: You can't dress like that on the beach, Futaba-san.
*removes towel*
Futaba: (anime blush)
The entourage: Wow..........
Makoto: See, you were pretty all along

And that my friend, is how the scene will go down.

Futaba is not the shy type. Dantis' scenario sounds more plausible.

Dantis

I think Futaba is going to transition to showing her face pretty early on, relative to her screentime, just like Naoto stopped pretending to be a boy.

Setsu00

I completely forgot that Johanna is not the first Persona to be a motorcycle...

latest

Sophia

Shyness and Social Anxiety are not the same thing.

Shyness is like "omg that cute guy is talking to me, what do I dooooo?!"

Social Anxiety is like "I'm in a group of people I should be entirely safe with, yet my gut is telling me I'm in extreme danger and should run away quickly and cry in a corner where nobody can find me."

Squire

Banned
I just can't trust anything the people making Persona 5 say about Persona 5.

Social Anxiety is like "I'm in a group of people I should be entirely safe with, yet my gut is telling me I'm in extreme danger and should run away quickly and cry in a corner where nobody can find me."

Roght, I think the core of the point is Futaba isn't going to be immediately comfortable with the cast, whatever the specific reason for that might be.

That's what we're being told with no reason to dispute it, but that's not stopping it from being disputed.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Sophia

Thanks for clearing this up.

I actually really hope Futaba's character explores the concept of social anxiety hard, and it's not simply a gag. It's a concept that resonates well with me because of my own social anxiety, and I'd love nothing more than for it to be explored properly.

Also, panic attacks brought upon by social anxiety? Fucking scary.

Dantis

There's a ton of evidence that points to her being shy than not, but even calling her shy is an oversimplification of her obvious social anxiety.

I agree. I still think that it will be handled in a very Persona way. She's just going to be a dork who fumbles her words and is awkward around everyone. She's not going to literally lack social skills.

You seem awfully distrustful of things out of Hashino's own mouth.

You know, Soejima called the protagonist's dual personality 'a profound ruse'. Now, I love Soejima's art, and every time I read anything about Soejima himself, I think 'man, what a fucking cool guy'. I really, really respect him.

On the other hand, there is nothing 'profound' about the character's dual personality. He acts like a dork but is secretly a badass. It's as straight forward and unsurprising as it gets.

Meguro said that Lynn's vocals sounded almost native English, the pronunciation was so good.

NOPE. Her pronunciation is awful. Meguro was mistaken.

Short version: The Persona team is very passionate about their games. It's probably part of why they're so good. On the other hand, not everything they say about them is true. By the time Fubata joins your party, or shortly thereafter, I am sure she will be showing her face. And her time in the game before that will most likely be very limited.

Sophia

Meguro said that Lynn's vocals sounded almost native English, the pronunciation was so good.

I actually have to agree with Meguro on this. We were able to guess the lyrics to the main theme with a fair degree of accuracy off a low quality rip, and I feel confident they're like 90% right.

Dantis

I actually have to agree with Meguro on this. We were able to guess the lyrics to the main theme with a fair degree of accuracy off a low quality rip, and I feel confident they're like 90% right.

The second verse and chorus in PV4 disagrees with you.

And it's not because people are talking over it.

Sophia

The second verse and chorus in PV4 disagrees with you.

And it's not because people are talking over it.

To be fair, the chorus being different in PV4 means nothing. Lots of songs have a second chorus with different lyrics.

Also, I haven't actually tried to listen to PV4 at all because it's just too hard to hear. >_>;

If anyone is interested in taking another shot at the opening, here's what we had last.

1. Who am I?
2. I'm about to think
3. Maybe I'm not here at all...
4. Reckon they'll make us (?)
5. Climbin, as the lies (?)
6. They'll break us of resolve

7. Ah, it's useless
8. What could it mean that we're here?
9. Can we make a difference
10. If we don't break out of here?

11. Wake up, get up, get out there
12. Raise our voice, our desires
13. Feel the rhyme build up higher
14. Why does nobody want change?
15. Just imagine you're out there
16. Spotting lies in the making (?)
17. Can't move fast when you're braking
18. If you hold on, life won't change

Setsu00

You know, Soejima called the protagonist's dual personality 'a profound ruse'. Now, I love Soejima's art, and every time I read anything about Soejima himself, I think 'man, what a fucking cool guy'. I really, really respect him.

On the other hand, there is nothing 'profound' about the character's dual personality. He acts like a dork but is secretly a badass. It's as straight forward and unsurprising as it gets.

Short version: The Persona team is very passionate about their games. It's probably part of why they're so good. On the other hand, not everything they say about them is true. By the time Fubata joins your party, or shortly thereafter, I am sure she will be showing her face. And her time in the game before that will most likely be very limited.

I still believe that Soejima's comment isn't all that strange when you factor in the context. For about five months, the majority of the fandom was convinced that the P5 protagonist was a shy, cute boy with a rather peculiar resemblance to Harry Potter. The first actual trailer then made it obvious that the protagonist was nothing like that. They fooled their fanbase with the PSX teaser and Soejima's comment probably referred to that.

Squire

Banned
I agree. I still think that it will be handled in a very Persona way. She's just going to be a dork who fumbles her words and is awkward around everyone. She's not going to literally lack social skills.

I disagree about Lyn, but I suppose I can grant you that.

The Soejima point is weird though. You have no idea how "profound" the ruse is or isn't because you've not played the game. A lot of your criticisms leveled at this game so far seem severely lacking in context. Maybe that's less important to you, i just think it's odd and makes the majority of what you've said ring hollow.

And with this point specifically, I'm actually inclined to agree with Soejima. Everyone more than believed "glasses-kun" was going to be sweet and innocent until Atlus voluntarily told us that was not the case.

If it wasn't a profound ruse, it was a completely successful one.

I still believe that Soejima's comment isn't all that strange when you factor in the context. For about five months, the majority of the fandom was convinced that the P5 protagonist was a shy, cute boy with a rather peculiar resemblance to Harry Potter. The first actual trailer then made it obvious that the protagonist was nothing like that. They fooled their fanbase with the PSX teaser and Soejima's comment probably referred to that.

"Profound" doesn't have to mean something has particular meaning or anything, it can also just mean "deep" as in intense, strong, etc. Given the way the protagonist seems to be acting in the trailers so far and
what he originally gets in trouble for
, presenting as an unmemorable, boring guy would involve significant acting on an almost daily basis, even if it's not a super unique premise. I think "profound" works fine as a description.

Meia

The way I see it, the gag is on Ryuji, who's there to ogle some ladies, then you get a weird funny gag where she's wearing a towel on her head. That's a gag no matter which way you cut it.

But if she's removing the towel on her head for the first time, regardless of whether or not there's a funny moment around it, it's an important character moment. It may not be the first time to the group, but it may be the first time in a really public setting, or in a bathing suit or something.

This just seems incredibly obvious given the fact that her whole arc is that she's a shut in.

It would be somewhat neat to have the scene with her having the towel come off be comparable in P4 to
the first time Teddie takes his head off to show his human form.
I can actually see that to some extent.

Of course, since she does cover up to THAT kind of a degree, I wonder what her deal is to begin with. Wonder how serious we're going to get with themes this time.

Profound doesn't just mean something that's insightful, it can also be something that reaches far below the surface or something that is characterized by intensity of feeling. So I don't think Soejima is saying that the P5MC's ruse is insightful, just that it's a big part of who the P5MC is. He plays the part of a mild-mannered person very well, even though that's not who he really is.

Then again, this is a fan translation anyway, analyzing word choice has more to do with the translator than the original speaker.

Edit: Beaten like a pinata at a party.

PK Gaming

It would be nice if her character showcased social anxiety in a nuanced way. The fact that she hasn't stepped a foot in high school leads me to believe that they're not just going to sweep her awkwardness under the rug, but you never know.

As an aside, I don't get what you mean when you say "handled in a Persona" way. What do you mean?

Setsu00

I always felt that Soejima was describing the protagonist's perception among fans and how it changed completely with PV1. Considering that the protagonist already has a reputation as a troublemaker in game, it makes no sense to believe that he was referring to the game's story and how its characters percieve him.

I'm guessing he meant "profound ruse" in the same way one would say "total ruse". Not like "his ruse is deep maaaaan... it like, speaks to the human condition"

As for Futaba, I really hope she doesn't turn out to be a caricature or nerdy people in either the original release or the localization (you never know what'll happen). Even her talking with a lisp would make me roll my eyes.

I always felt that Soejima was describing the protagonist's perception among fans and how it changed completely with PV1. Considering that the protagonist already has a reputation as a troublemaker in game, it makes no sense to believe that he was referring to the game's story and how its characters percieve him.

He does? I thought it was something like he gets in trouble for
stopping the assault
, then transfers to a different school where people don't know his history. I may be mixed up. Do we know if he's got a reputation for the bulk of the game?

Setsu00

He does? I thought it was something like he gets in trouble for
stopping the assault
, then transfers to a different school where people don't know his history. I may be mixed up. Do we know if he's got a reputation for the bulk of the game?

Well I don't know how communication between Japanese schools and law enforcement work, but I would assume that attacking a man for whatever reason would be mentioned in your police record. Also, the gym teacher in the fourth trailer implies that he knows about the protagonist's previous actions.

Squire

Banned
It would be nice if her character showcased social anxiety in a nuanced way. The fact that she hasn't stepped a foot in high school leads me to believe that they're not just going to sweep her awkwardness under the rug, but you never know.

As an aside, I don't get what you mean when you say "handled in a Persona" way. What do you mean?

It's nonsense.

Well I don't know how communication between Japanese schools and law enforcement work, but I would assume that attacking a man for whatever reason would be mentioned in your police record. Also, the gym teacher in the fourth trailer implies that he knows about the protagonist's previous actions.

Sorry, I meant like the students might not know. The teachers probably would, of course, but I don't know if they would tend to spread that to the student body.

Then again, the teachers in Persona are pretty wacky, so expecting them to actually respect that kind of boundary might be too much to hope for!

Setsu00

Sorry, I meant like the students might not know. The teachers probably would, of course, but I don't know if they would tend to spread that to the student body.

Then again, the teachers in Persona are pretty wacky, so expecting them to actually respect that kind of boundary might be too much to hope for!

That gym teacher is exactly the kind of guy to spread information like this to the students. And even if he wasn't: Someone is bound to spill the beans sooner or later, even if is by accident.

I wonder...
how many teachers didn't end up caving to the crazy mob mentality in P3 and P4?

I wonder...
how many teachers didn't end up caving to the crazy mob mentality in P3 and P4?

I'm pretty sure
the gym teacher in P4 was like "Stop freaking out about the fog, Inaba gets freak weather every 50 years" or something.

Also on the whole Lyn thing- she is really, really hard to understand in PV4. Even in the parts where no one is talking. it begs the question of why she's so clear on her personal works but not here. ( though, I listened to a song I knew the words to already so that may have been a factor.) Maybe it is an issue of mixing either the video or the track itself, but I can understand Dantis's sentiment.

Dantis

I guess the easiest way to say it is that I think Persona characters have to be likeable. And nice. And attractive. And good-hearted.

In the same way that Futaba would never be portrayed as being disheveled and unkempt, she also won't be an example of a deep analysis of social anxiety. Like I said, she'll most likely just be a mega dork. She'll probably speak in a funny way and say things that are awkward, I think.

In the same way that it turned out that Kanji and Shinji were a) actually very polite and b) really bloody good guys, she also will turn out similar, I'm sure.

Of course, she could be all those things regardless of her anxiety, but I'm saying that I think she will be all those things rather than her anxieties.

Persona party members are heroes. Except for Yukiko, who's trash.

It's nonsense.

Man, I don't know why you post things like this.

_Ryo_

This is probably going to sound fanfic-ey as all fuck but I think that it'd be really cool if Yusuke and Ryuji were romantically involved. And that Ryuji is Anne's best friend who is feels she can completely let her guard down around, and knows that Ryuji has no ulterior motives or sexual interest in her which is why she is so comfortable around him. I think that'd be more interesting than them going out just because she rests her head on his shoulders or whatever, anyway.

Also, yuri talk? is there a speculated lesbian character?

Dantis

This is probably going to sound fanfic-ey as all fuck but I think that it'd be really cool if Yusuke and Ryuji were romantically involved. And that Ryuji is Anne's best friend who is feels she can completely let her guard down around, and knows that Ryuji has no ulterior motives or sexual interest in her which is why she is so comfortable around him. I think that'd be more interesting than them going out just because she rests her head on his shoulders or whatever, anyway.

I mean, this is already pretty much debunked, considering Ryuji's reaction to Anne in a swimsuit.

Also, I've said it before, but I really hope Yusuke isn't gay. I don't mind a gay character, but I'd hope they'd choose someone less obvious.

That bait's not good enough for fish.

It was a joke, in case it wasn't clear. ;)

Sophia

I guess the easiest way to say it is that I think Persona characters have to be likeable. And nice. And attractive. And good-hearted.

All series spoilers

I get this applies to Persona 3 and 4 to a degree. But Persona 2 literally had it's starting antagonist turn over to the party. I don't think they'll keep to the same patterns as they did in P3 and P4; the story looks to subvert the usual tropes there.

In the same way that Futaba would never be portrayed as being disheveled and unkempt, she also won't be an example of a deep analysis of social anxiety. Like I said, she'll most likely just be a mega dork. She'll probably speak in a funny way and say things that are awkward, I think.

Also, social anxiety doesn't always immediately equal depression either. As someone who has experienced it, it's not unreasonable to assume she'd keep up appearances even if she doesn't leave the house.

Dantis

I was referring to P3 and P4, yeah. I don't think we should be using P1 and P2 as a base for anything, personally.

And I don't think it's going to subvert it too much. There was all that talk of delinquents and theories about you playing as antagonists, but they're looking pretty heroic to me right now.

Also, social anxiety doesn't always immediately equal depression either. As someone who has experienced it, it's not unreasonable to assume she'd keep up appearances even if she doesn't leave the house.

I didn't mean depression, I meant things like panic attacks and not being able to deal with social situations. I don't have social anxieties myself, but I have friends who do. I also know people who don't leave the house and have crap social skills because of it. I'd be surprised to see any of it applied to Persona, to be honest.

It was a joke, in case it wasn't clear. ;)

Riiiight... ;)

I mean, this is already pretty much debunked, considering Ryuji's reaction to Anne in a swimsuit.

Also, I've said it before, but I really hope Yusuke isn't gay. I don't mind a gay character, but I'd hope they'd choose someone less obvious.

Agreed. Aside from him being the most effeminate-looking male character in the cast, his looking like the only other gay party member in the series would surely rub people the wrong way if he was.

It'd be like saying "This is a gay. This is what they all look like."

At least it'd be better than FE Fates?

Sophia

I was referring to P3 and P4, yeah. I don't think we should be using P1 and P2 as a base for anything, personally.

And I don't think it's going to subvert it too much. There was all that talk of delinquents and theories about you playing as antagonists, but they're looking pretty heroic to me right now.

I didn't mean depression, I meant things like panic attacks and not being able to deal with social situations. I don't have social anxieties myself, but I have friends who do. I also know people who don't leave the house and have crap social skills because of it. I'd be surprised to see any of it applied to Persona, to be honest.

I think we're going to see subversion for sure. Already, we have a pretty different cast from Persona 3 and Persona 4.

And I know all about social anxieties myself, and can even link you to a first hand panic attack on GAF. :p

cj_iwakura

What's this about Dancing All Night? In spoiler tags of course.

I've talked about it a lot here, and in my Bemanistyle review, and I was surprised it didn't make a tidal wave of controversy.

Not really a spoiler, but just in case. Very minor character.

It’s also worth noting that the personification of a male dance instructor, who of course happens to be flamboyant and flirtatious with every man in sight, struck me as being in poor taste. Usually Atlus are better at playing against expected stereotypes, but this particular character happens to be just that, and winds up being more of a caricature.

The character in question.

It was like they went through a checklist of gay stereotypes. High pitched? Check! Hits on any man in sight? Check! Dancing instructor? Has to be!

Sophia

I've talked about it a lot here, and in my Bemanistyle review, and I was surprised it didn't make a tidal wave of controversy.

It’s also worth noting that the personification of a male dance instructor, who of course happens to be flamboyant and flirtatious with every man in sight, struck me as being in poor taste. Usually Atlus are better at playing against expected stereotypes, but this particular character happens to be just that, and winds up being more of a caricature.

Oh, that's unfortunate. D:

It was like they went through a checklist of gay stereotypes. High pitched? Check! Hits on any man in sight? Check! Dancing instructor? Has to be!

The fact that
the guy's voiced by D.C. Douglas makes it even worse.

Top Bottom