• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

I'm curious, does anyone here think any of the thieves are going to end up with a Persona of Robin Hood or any of his merry men? Or has that ship likely sailed?

At this point, no. None of them seem to use a bow and arrow. You can't have a person user have robin hood and not have them use a bow and arrow. It would be weird.

Well, unless mystery guy isn't Ken and ends up being the archer.
Or Ryuji could get Little John, maybe Ryuji realizes he doesn't need to be 'Captain'?

Zolo

At this point, no. None of them seem to use a bow and arrow. You can't have a person user have robin hood and not have them use a bow and arrow. It would be weird.

Squire

Banned

I see how you arrive at that conclusion, but it's not like there's a correlation between, say, Makoto's fisticuffs and Pope Joan being a bike.

Do any of them use weaponry that lines up with their persona or the person they're based on?

I see how you arrive at that conclusion, but it's not like there's a correlation between, say, Makoto's fisticuffs and Pope Joan being a bike.

Do any of them use weaponry that lines up with their persona or the person they're based on?

Doesn't seem like it. Closest I can see is Morganna using toy swords while her Persona carries a rapier.

daevious

It'd be pretty easy to tell the lyrics if she wasn't being spoken over. You can hear the first line of the new verse: "And you know we were out there."

This is also why I haven't spoken about trying to decipher the lyrics before now, we need a clean version that isn't being drowned out by incidental dialogue before we can really start figuring out what Lyn's singing.

Sophia

This is also why I haven't spoken about trying to decipher the lyrics before now, we need a clean version that isn't being drowned out by incidental dialogue before we can really start figuring out what Lyn's singing.

Yeah, I'd have to be able to break the audio up into line by line repeatable chunks in order to figure out what the lyrics are. No way I could do it as part of the video with chatter over it.

daevious

Yeah, I'd have to be able to break the audio up into line by line repeatable chunks in order to figure out what the lyrics are. No way I could do it as part of the video with chatter over it.

Regardless, it's really good at keeping the momentum of that trailer going even if you can't understand what she's saying.

MSMrRound

Hacker-chan, pls. I wonder where her design clearly came from. Lol she might as well be playing Splatoon on a freaking Wii U in a scene in P5.

If only P5 had came out on its original date...there might have been less comparisons...but yea, I do kinda agree that it IS a bit uncanny.

Her phantom thief outfit, Tron lines aside, kinds of reminds me of Frog Girl's hero outfit from My Hero Academia, especially the part with the goggles.

If only P5 had came out on its original date...there might have been less comparisons...but yea, I do kinda agree that it IS a bit uncanny.

Her phantom thief outfit, Tron lines aside, kinds of reminds me of Frog Girl's hero outfit from My Hero Academia, especially the part with the goggles.

Interesting. I just saw it as a plugsuit.

Zolo

Now with the Dengeki and Famitsu magazine out, it seems it'll be about a month at E3 til more information. Then, we get a bunch of new info September 15.

Is it just me but I get the feeling Makoto looks more "mature" than Mitsuru for some reason. Perhaps it is her haircut or her clothing?

She looks like a University/College student in her casual autumn/winter clothing.

MSMrRound

Now with the Dengeki and Famitsu magazine out, it seems it'll be about a month at E3 til more information. Then, we get a bunch of new info September 15.

They still have the option of uploading a new trailer with the 9th abd final party member somewhere in between E3 and September. We have yet to receive a closer look at how the co-operation or social link system for the game is going to work.

Come to think of it, almost all of the PVs had AtlusJP teasing the next party member they were going to reveal next. E.g pv01 and 02 teased Yusuke (racoon outfit and mysterious painter), pv03 teased punchy with a line while pv04 had possibly the last party member musing about the recognition that the phantom thieves have gained...even though they actually went on to show the full cover of the game, revealing his face. WHOOPS!

Maybe multiple little trailers that delve into the aspects of the game aka like what AtlusUSA did for the game e.g All out attacks, Calvary attacks etc? No matter what, can't wait.

Squire

Banned
I'm pretty sure this is it for now. They'll probably have PV05, a demo, and the NA release date at E3. Then both ends of the company can start having regular updates on the game for their respective regions.

_Ryo_

I really love how manga-esque this game looks. From the "Gaya Gaya" katakana (which is onomatopoeia for "chatter chatter") to the speech bubbles to even the magic spells, since instead of a whole lot of glowing and flashy lights it's actually a much more papery effect. The entire UI seems to be inspired by manga, and the calander that shows when the days pass is like a double page from a comic. Its neat.

Setsu00

It's tough. Part of it is work schedule, part of it are the layers in-between the dev and me (there are many), and part of it is suitability. For this interview in particular, it took...4ish months? And after sending the questions over initially, I got a BUNCH of questions back from the dev team about what we thought they meant, etc. So we had to go back and re-clarify, and that process takes time too.

I've been really pleasantly surprised though. P4D's director did an interview with The Verge last year, and I thought it was REALLY well done. I'll get the questions in English, look 'em over, and throw in any notes or explanations if I need to. That gets translated into Japanese, sent to HQ, answered, sent back, translated, edited, and then I look over it before it goes back to the journo. (And when I say look over it, it's usually for grammar or anything that might need more explanation or whatever. I've _NEVER_ removed anything from an interview other than an errant typo.)

But that's a long process, and involves at the very least... 6 people? It can be tough, unfortunately. Especially when Japan is working on hitting their dates.

IDK if there are any takeaways here, just felt like explaining this I guess.

That was super interesting, thanks. I always appreciate information like this and also makes me appreciate articles that one even more.

I'm pretty sure this is it for now. They'll probably have PV05, a demo, and the NA release date at E3. Then both ends of the company can start having regular updates on the game for their respective regions.

There was a website update today, although just minor stuff, and there will almost certainly be one next week with the stuff from Famitsu/Dengeki. Might be a few other weekly updates before E3, although probably nothing major.

Squire

Banned
I really love how manga-esque this game looks. From the "Gaya Gaya" katakana (which is onomatopoeia for "chatter chatter") to the speech bubbles to even the magic spells, since instead of a whole lot of glowing and flashy lights it's actually a much more papery effect. The entire UI seems to be inspired by manga, and the calander that shows when the days pass is like a double page from a comic. Its neat.

I noticed that too, yeah. That's going to potentially make for an amazing manga adaption if they find an artist that can manage to translate the look/style to an actual manga.

There was a website update today, although just minor stuff, and there will almost certainly be one next week with the stuff from Famitsu/Dengeki. Might be a few other weekly updates before E3, although probably nothing major.

Oh yeah, updating the site with the magazine content is what I was expecting.

Is it just me but I get the feeling Makoto looks more "mature" than Mitsuru for some reason. Perhaps it is her haircut or her clothing?

She looks like a University/College student in her casual autumn/winter clothing.

Honestly, apart from Sakura, they all look more mature. Really dig the character designs.

daevious

Glad to know I'm not the only one that thought that.

Honestly, apart from Sakura, they all look more mature. Really dig the character designs.

What I really like about Sakura's design is that it manages to be both "trashy nerd clothing (that isn't merchandising)" and "fashionable enough to not look repulsive to the viewer" at the same time. Also that her jacket and shirt are deliberately pulled down so they don't show in her portrait art (which is where she looks her best).

FluxWaveZ

What I really like about Sakura's design is that it manages to be both "trashy nerd clothing (that isn't merchandising)" and "fashionable enough to not look repulsive to the viewer" at the same time. Also that her jacket and shirt are deliberately pulled down so they don't show in her portrait art (which is where she looks her best).

It's just dissonant how well-groomed she looks when she's supposed to be a shut-in who doesn't even go to school. If I had artistic talent, the first thing that came to mind would be to draw a Futaba Sakura with dishevelled hair, bags under her eyes and a tired expression like Tomoko Kuroki or something.

Maybe it's like Vera Misham from Ace Attorney, where there's the excuse that whoever she lives with still makes sure she takes care of herself.

_Ryo_

What is the target age group for P5,Japanese teens?
If so it kind of makes sense that the setting is still in high school if they're trying to appeal to disillusioned Japanese teenagers and trying to make a political statement, and all the other stuff that's appeal to 14-17 year olds like tons of echhi fanservice.

If they're trying to appeal to adults that have come from P3 and P4 and are now out of college or whatever it seems weird, especially that Sakura/Anne/Ryuji scene.

Anyway with this in mind does anyone think there will be any cosmetic changes for the western release? I.E covering up Anne's cleavage more by giving her a jacket, making Sakura's skirt longer, etc?

If so it kind of makes sense that the setting is still in high school if they're trying to appeal to disillusioned Japanese teenagers and trying to make a political statement, and all the other stuff that's appeal to 14-17 year olds like tons of echhi fanservice.

If they're trying to appeal to adults that have come from P3 and P4 and are now out of college or whatever it seems weird, especially that Sakura/Anne/Ryuji scene.

Anyway with this in mind does anyone think there will be any cosmetic changes for the western release? I.E covering up Anne's cleavage more by giving her a jacket, making Sakura's skirt longer, etc?

Atlus isn't Nintendo. They don't have an image to keep up that these things would mar.

As for the age group thing I honestly have no clue.

That's how things generally are for Japanese games, isn't it? Younger characters so the country's down-in-the-dumps youth have someone to relate to.

That's how we got Vaan in FF12, isn't it?

FluxWaveZ

It's not that simple. The general video game audience in Japan, despite being adults, are still more compelled by younger protagonists and high school settings in games like this. Read this to find out more. Even in something like Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, they shifted from an older looking protagonist to the current one because of target demographics.

That swimsuit scene in PV04, for example. I guarantee you that something like that is much more of a business decision than a creative one. They need to hit that market and those who seek that form of fanservice in a game to maximize profits.

No.

It's just dissonant how well-groomed she looks when she's supposed to be a shut-in who doesn't even go to school. If I had artistic talent, the first thing that came to mind would be to draw a Futaba Sakura with dishevelled hair, bags under her eyes and a tired expression like Tomoko Kuroki or something.

Maybe it's like Vera Misham from Ace Attorney, where there's the excuse that whoever she lives with still makes sure she takes care of herself.

I agree with this. I like Sakura's design as well but she's quite fashionable and well kept for a shut in.

Mediking

10 dollars says a Atlus developer from P5 will say in a interview that he/she was inspired by Splatoon for Hacker-chan's design.

Squire

Banned
It's not that simple. The general video game audience in Japan, despite being adults, are still more compelled by younger protagonists and high school settings in games like this. Read this to find out more. Even in something like Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, they shifted from an older looking protagonist to the current one because of target demographics.

That swimsuit scene in PV04, for example. I guarantee you that something like that is much more of a business decision than a creative one. They need to hit that market and those who seek that form of fanservice in a game to maximize profits.

That's always how I've read that stuff. It's less a creative choice, more a compromise created by the reality of the business and the expectations of the audience.

Which isn't an excuse, just an observation.

PK Gaming

Well shit, now i'm always going to want this.

Thanks a lot man.

Squire

Banned
$10 says her design changed because Splatoon is huge in Japan. Just wait for the ultimate interview and character design book to come out. I'll eat my hand if I'm wrong.

You don't think it's kind of odd to say "Okay, I'm designing a hikkomori" and then stop in the middle and make an alteration because... Splatoon is popular? Splatoon has nothing to do with the goal of the art and HS a different target demo them Persona does, anyway.

It'll be fascinating to read through the Design Works either way.

Mediking

You don't think it's kind of odd to say "Okay, I'm designing a hikkomori" and then stop in the middle and make an alteration because... Splatoon is popular? Splatoon has nothing to do with the goal of the art and HS a different target demo them Persona does, anyway.

It'll be fascinating to read through the Design Works either way.

I hope your hand is tasty.

C'mon, guys. I'm joking! Lol I don't wanna eat my hand.

Zolo

Yeah. Here's an excerpt from the Killzone interview: https://killscreen.com/articles/the-creator-of-persona-on-life-japanese-culture-and-the-unconscious/

“For both good and bad reasons, I think that the school-life experience deeply affects many Japanese people in their daily lives,” Hashino said, speaking to the power of a shared cultural phenomenon. “Since everyone has experienced this, they [also experienced needing] to compare themselves with others,” said Hashino, “and, at times, had to suppress their own identity, learning to take hints so they don’t stand out or [get] ostracized from the crowd.” In Hashino’s games, the mundane and supernatural worlds run parallel to one another. The brightly colored scenes in the school contrast the scenes in the shadow world, mimicking the “front” and “back” side of human psychology. “The vibrant, everyday life becomes the Persona series’ persona, beckoning players to escape into a fun-filled experience of adolescence. But sooner or later, they’ll experience the dark shadow aspect of the game hiding beneath that persona, which they’ll feel a strange connection to.”

That said, I do think it underestimates how an audience can get engaged with older characters as well. I think Catherine actually sold fairly on par with Persona 4/Golden.

If I remember right, Persona 4 Golden also got a 16+ rather than the usual 12+, so it's not like they're unaware their target audience has gotten older as just with the west (even more so in Japan), mobile gaming has taken over a lot of that audience.

Squire

Banned
This used to come up when the "why no adults?" discussion was way more prominent and I don't know about you, but I'm (not) an expert on Japanese culture, so someone else will have to give a better explanation, but I think it was typically suggested moving them to college would mess up the social mojo they have going.

Like once you do college, you can't really do clubs and things. The dynamic is just very different from high school. I think that's what was said.

Edit: And noting Catherine is good, since when they did make that - a game with adults - they crafted it to them and their experience. They're none to interested in retrofitting current Persona game design to fit an adult cast, clearly.

It's why I'm curious to see a persona 5 team develop a game for the west in mind. Will never happen due to the company's focus as well a certain charm being lost due to the Japanese culture playing a part. Soejima at this stage, should open his own clothing line because he's far too consistent in nailing designs for characters. I could see Japan fans going crazy for those types of things.

Top Bottom