• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

.JayZii

Banned
I completely forgot that Johanna is not the first Persona to be a motorcycle...
Definitely the first to be a literal motorcycle, though. Unless I'm just misremembering, even among demons, Hell Biker is the only one with an actual motorcycle in the design.

I like it, though. There's some nice variety among the forms of party Personas this time around.

PK Gaming

I guess the easiest way to say it is that I think Persona characters have to be likeable. And nice. And attractive. And good-hearted.

In the same way that Futaba would never be portrayed as being disheveled and unkempt, she also won't be an example of a deep analysis of social anxiety. Like I said, she'll most likely just be a mega dork. She'll probably speak in a funny way and say things that are awkward, I think.

In the same way that it turned out that Kanji and Shinji were a) actually very polite and b) really bloody good guys, she also will turn out similar, I'm sure.

Of course, she could be all those things regardless of her anxiety, but I'm saying that I think she will be all those things rather than her anxieties.

I can't fully refute this, and it's pissing me off. Basically, my biggest fear with Futaba is that ends up like Naoto or Fuuka. That's why I used a coin flip to represent my feelings towards Futaba, because there's actually chance of this happening. Like, if her anxieties are just window dressing, she's ultimately just as you say (a cute, awkward mega dork), then imma be pissed for real. That said, I sincerely hope that she doesn't end up conforming to my expectations. I mean, Persona is all about subverting that, right? God I hope i'm right...

Also, yuri talk? is there a speculated lesbian character?

No, no. It's just something Dantis will have to draw when I inevitably win.

Sophia

Gonna try to figure out the lyrics to the song in the new PV. Here's what we have so far.

I'm never a slave.
I'm not a demon, don't you give me no mind
I guess that's foolish
I guess that's dangerous
I guess (?)

Why'd you play for fame?
Rise above the game
You're responsible
Apart/Above (?)

And you know we were out there
Took the mask off to be free
Fought it out in the history
Now we know that life will change

EDIT: Making pretty good progress. Thanks everyone else who helped. I think the line that Makoto speaks over is probably impossible to figure out tho.

Gonna try to figure out the lyrics to the song in the new PV. Here's what I have so far.

Let me add a bit:

I'm not a slave
I'm not a demon, don't you pay me no mind

I guess that's foolish
I guess that's dangerous
I guess <?>

?
Rise above the rain
You're responsible
?

Took that mask off to victory
Fought it out (?) in the history (?)
Now we know just not we'll say(take?) <?>

Also I remember this from earlier:

PV04 around 3:10, I think I hear

Fought it out in our memory
Now we know that naught will change

...Though I'm hearing "Now we know that life will change"

daevious

Gonna try to figure out the lyrics to the song in the new PV. Here's what we have so far.

I'm never a slave.

I still maintain the original line is Admittedly

I'm not a demon, don't you pay me no mind

I'm hearing "give me no mind" instead.

Apart/Above

I'm banking on Apart, there's a 't' sound at the end that line that wouldn't make sense otherwise.

The rest of it sounds about right so well done everyone for figuring this much out.

Zolo

This is probably going to sound fanfic-ey as all fuck but I think that it'd be really cool if Yusuke and Ryuji were romantically involved. And that Ryuji is Anne's best friend who is feels she can completely let her guard down around, and knows that Ryuji has no ulterior motives or sexual interest in her which is why she is so comfortable around him. I think that'd be more interesting than them going out just because she rests her head on his shoulders or whatever, anyway.

I'd rather Anne be comfortable enough to lay her arm around Ryuji because they're close enough friends that she doesn't care about how it might be perceived due to gender differences. ......Also, the beach scene outright has him ogling her in a bikini, so it's already not true.

I've talked about it a lot here, and in my Bemanistyle review, and I was surprised it didn't make a tidal wave of controversy.

Not really a spoiler, but just in case. Very minor character.

It’s also worth noting that the personification of a male dance instructor, who of course happens to be flamboyant and flirtatious with every man in sight, struck me as being in poor taste. Usually Atlus are better at playing against expected stereotypes, but this particular character happens to be just that, and winds up being more of a caricature.

The character in question.

It was like they went through a checklist of gay stereotypes. High pitched? Check! Hits on any man in sight? Check! Dancing instructor? Has to be!

Persona 4 had Kashiwagi and Hanako, so it's not like they hadn't done stereotypes before.

Lunar15

I hear this:

Fought it out, feel the victory

I feel 99.9% certain about this. Only the part between "fought it out" and "victory" is a bit iffy to me.

MSMrRound

Hmm, i'm actually getting fonder of Makoto's design now

My Yuuki Aoi bias aside, I like most of the designs, but Makoto's seems to be growing on me the more I look at her. Really like the braid hairband too.

As for Futaba, at first glance she seems like the dorky awkward type that Yuuki Aoi usually voices....but she's pretty capable of dipping into her other vocal ranges too, but yea, it's a pretty good topic for Atlus to explore, since I can really relate to it as well.

There's still the nagging feeling that Morgana might be involved in the beach hijinks that led to their facial expressions in PV04..shall have to wait and see...

Dantis

Random observation: Makoto's crit animation is super similar to Naoto's auto-combo from Arena.

There's totally going to be similarities.

Sophia

I still maintain the original line is Admittedly

I'm hearing "give me no mind" instead.

I'm banking on Apart, there's a 't' sound at the end that line that wouldn't make sense otherwise.

The rest of it sounds about right so well done everyone for figuring this much out.

I'm not hearing "Admittedly", but I DO hear "give me no mind", so that's probably right

The problem with "Apart" is that it doesn't make sense there, which makes me to think it's something else entirely.

I hear this:

Fought it out, feel the victory

I feel 99.9% certain about this. Only the part between "fought it out" and "victory" is a bit iffy to me.

I don't hear the word "feel" there, and singing it out doesn't quite seem right either.

Lunar15

I'm not hearing "Admittedly", but I DO hear "give me no mind", so that's probably right

The problem with "Apart" is that it doesn't make sense there, which makes me to think it's something else entirely.

I don't hear the word "feel" there, and singing it out doesn't quite seem right either.

Yeah, that's the part I can't nail down. I do believe it's "victory", though, especially considering the lines before it and after it.

As for "apart", I'm wondering if it's a multiple words ending in "heart". The "art" is there. We know the game's tagline is "Take Your Heart".

What's more interesting to me is that this seems to be an answer of sorts to the opening theme. The opening is telling someone to "get out there" and that if they "hold on, life won't change." This song is a declaration that they've accomplished that.

Sophia

Yeah, that's the part I can't nail down. I do believe it's "victory", though, especially considering the lines before it and after it.

As for "apart", I'm wondering if it's a multiple words ending in "heart". The "art" is there. We know the game's tagline is "Take Your Heart".

I was thinking that, but I couldn't figure out anything that fit. "of heart" or something like that.

What's more interesting to me is that this seems to be an answer of sorts to the opening theme. The opening is telling someone to "get out there" and that if they "hold on, life won't change." This song is a declaration that they've accomplished that.

That's why I'm guessing the track we heard in PV#04 is P5's version of "Burn My Dread -Last Battle-" or something similar (i.e. played towards the end of the game).

Listening to what we know of from P5's soundtrack, and there are to be an emotional thread connecting a lot of the songs. At lot of them have this undercurrent of joy/exhilaration/exuberance. It's cool, it matches how the cast seems to be kinda intoxicated with their extracurricular activities. I like it a lot.

Squire

Banned
Listening to what we know of from P5's soundtrack, and there are to be an emotional thread connecting a lot of the songs. At lot of them have this undercurrent of joy/exhilaration/exuberance. It's cool, it matches how the cast seems to be kinda intoxicated with their extracurricular activities. I like it a lot.

"Joy", "cool", and "exhilaration" are definitely good words to describe what we have of the OST so far.

Dumb thought train of the day:

>"It's cool how each party member represents a different thief archetype"
>"I like that they have code names too; gets around the other party members not being able to say whatever you enter the protagonist's name as in the voice acting"
>"'Joker''s a pretty cool nickname for the protag; I wonder how they chose that"
>"It's not as definite as Fox, Skull, etc., plays into how he can switch Personas"
>"I guess that makes sense; when you're playing cards, the Joker is the Wild C--" /smashes head into desk

Squire

Banned

>"I like that they have code names too; gets around the other party members not being able to say whatever you enter the protagonist's name as in the voice acting"
>"'Joker''s a pretty cool nickname for the protag; I wonder how they chose that"
>"It's not as definite as Fox, Skull, etc., plays into how he can switch Personas"
>"I guess that makes sense; when you're playing cards, the Joker is the Wild C--" /smashes head into desk

Thank you though. I must admit I hadn't put that together, either. >_>

Dantis

HOLY SHIT

Sophia

Yeah, all the names for the characters make sense when you think about them. Though I admit I kind of was hoping that everyone would be a playing card. At least we have the dual meaning behind "Queen"

Yeah, all the names for the characters make sense when you think about them. Though I admit I kind of was hoping that everyone would be a playing card. At least we have the dual meaning behind "Queen"

There's enough names to go around, but how would they be distributed?

Joker (Phantom), Queen (Mako), Jack (Morgana?), King (Yusuke?), Diamond (Haru, cause wealth), Heart (Anne), Club (Ryuji, seems the brutish, clubbing type), Spade (Crow?), Ace (Futaba? smallest)

daevious

Perfect. Literally perfect.

Sophia

There's enough names to go around, but how would they be distributed?

Joker (Phantom), Queen (Mako), Jack (Morgana?), King (Yusuke?), Diamond (Haru, cause wealth), Heart (Anne), Club (Ryuji, seems the brutish, clubbing type), Spade (Crow?), Ace (Futaba? smallest)

Good question. Alternatively, you could make multiple people the same card. I.E. Anne the Queen of Hearts, and Makoto the Queen of Spades.

Good question. Alternatively, you could make multiple people the same card. I.E. Anne the Queen of Hearts, and Makoto the Queen of Spades.

Now you've got me thinking of how well this would work for a much larger organization (say... the Shadow Operatives? ;)). The names refer to different ranks of different squads (or in this case, suits).

-spittakes all over the computer-

iirc, there was a lot of confusion over what this symbol on the Syujin High Emblems, "§" meant.

Google search wasn't too helpful, but it seems to refer to sections in documents (eg. "§ 25 of the Media Act"). Any ideas as to what that could imply both in and out of universe?

edit: Unless of course, this all got covered and I completely missed it.

Since it's kind of an s, I would guess at it being the school's initial heavily stylised.

It could just be that. Adding something simply for cool factor with no attention paid to the intended meaning isn't exactly something media is immune to.

Seconding this; I am now incredibly disappointed that the entire crew isn't named after a deck of cards. I know the card motif only really fits with the gentleman thief archetype (also the only thief archetype with emphasis on acting/confidence games; more Wild Card symbolism), so it wouldn't be as fitting for the other characters, but still. Also...I wonder how they decide on their code names ingame.

Also this realization is giving new meaning for me to that art with Joker's sign saying "Let us start the game". The trump card in the deck is taunting you, lol. He's gonna kick your ass and he knows it.

Seconding this; I am now incredibly disappointed that the entire crew isn't named after a deck of cards.

Also this realization is giving new meaning for me to that art with Joker's sign saying "Let us start the game". The trump card in the deck is taunting you, lol. He's gonna kick your ass and he knows it.

Woah, slow down there! It sounds like he's already gotten to the fighting game spinoff.

Looking forward to P5 Arena. :p

Daddy nooooooo!! D:

Woah, slow down there! It sounds like he's already gotten to the fighting game spinoff.

Haha. I've never even played the Arena games.

I amended some stuff to that post, but I was thinking more along the lines of acting/confidence games stuff than a physical beatdown. He is the gentleman thief archetype, after all, and that's the major one associated with playing multiple roles (more Wild Card symbolism :p).

Wait, I feel dumb because I have no idea what's the significance of this. What does Joker being a Wild Card imply?

_Ryo_

After calling for someone to make a super trailer I decided I'd attempt to do it myself... and after just mapping out where to cut the scenes from pv03 and then reorder them I gave up shortly after I started on pv02

(1) 4/16 - saturday - afterschool - 0:50 - 0:53
(2) 4/16 - saturday - afterschool -0:38 - 0:41
(3) 4/16 - saturday - afterschool - 1:23 - 1:25
(1) 4/18 - monday - afterschool - 1:25 - 1:27
(2) 4/18 - monday - afterschool - 2:18 - 2:21
4/19 - tuesday- afterschool - 0:36 - 0:38
(1) 4/20 - wednesday - afterschool - 0:49 - 0:50
(2) 4/20 - wednesday - afterschool - 0:47 - 0:49
4/22 - friday - afterschool - 0:41 - 0:47
4/24 - sunday - afternoon - 2:22 - 2:24
(1) 5/28 - saturday - afterschool - 1:34 - 1:37
(2) 5/28 - saturday - afterschool - 1:37 - 1:41
8/8 - monday - afterschool - 2:21 - 2:22
9/22 - thursday - night - 2:24 - 2:26
9/28 - wednesday- afterschool - 1:58 - 2:01

Persona 5 is ruining my mind already.

Squire

Banned
Aa, alright. When I think of "Joker" I automatically also think of "The Fool". Him being the main character, I always thought that's a given.

It's totally a given and a thing that's been confirmed, some of just hadn't made the commection with "Joker" being his code name. Very clever on their part.

Aa, alright. When I think of "Joker" I automatically also think of "The Fool". Him being the main character, I always thought that's a given.

It pretty much was, I just never associated it with the deck. When I hear the word "joker," I don't always think of wild cards in card games first. I didn't realize where his alias comes from, even though it should have been obvious. As I said, a dumb train of thought. :p

Makio

Funny Sae Nijiima (Interrogation lady) is using a necklace with the same symbol.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net...agonist.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160511235359

Maybe she not a cop after all , and most releated to the school.....(like the Kirijo Group was releated / funded the school in P3).

Wait we got into something new in here .... shit hahaha.

I can't see it cause that pic is so tiny, but I remember it being more prominent on her character.

I'm guessing... head of the school's board of directors?
If that's the case, all we need is to have her voiced by Carrie Keranen.

Top Bottom