• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

FluxWaveZ

Still feels like the mention of E3 during the 0505 Tokyo Tower stream was more like a "hold tight to your pants English fans! We haven't forgotten about you! More news coming your way soon!" shoutout to us.

Do note that there has been no English mention of this E3 event whatsoever. The website is in Japanese. The several mentions during the stream were in Japanese. The Twitter account talking about it was in Japanese and the only official website that links to it is the Japanese Persona 5 website.

This hasn't been a shoutout to English fans at all.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
Imagine this at E3...... Persona 5's logo flickers on screen. We see the usual setting of Joker and Ann in a classroom. The teacher asks Joker, "When will Persona 5 release for other countries beside Japan?" Ann turns to Joker to hear his answer. Joker smiles and boldly picks, "The same as Japan. WORLDWIDE RELEASE. LET'S DO THIS." Internet meltdown and people screaming tears of hype and GAF crashes.

BELIEVE!

the only reason i don't believe in a simultaneous release is because smtiv final release date is september 20

It's placeholder. Several times in the past these placeholder dates have proven to completely wrong, like with Persona 4: Dancing All Night or Etrian Mystery Dungeon.

thanks, for some reason i thought they announced the release date already

Do note that there has been no English mention of this E3 event whatsoever. The website is in Japanese. The several mentions during the stream were in Japanese. The Twitter account talking about it was in Japanese and the only official website that links to it is the Japanese Persona 5 website.

I mean, they could just assume we're watching the Japanese stuff anyway, so there's no need to put in the extra effort...

Maybe? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FluxWaveZ

I mean, they could just assume we're watching the Japanese stuff anyway, so there's no need to put in the extra effort...

Maybe? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's not reasonable from a PR standpoint in regards to what a "shoutout" would be. Everything about this upcoming event has obviously been targeted to the Japanese fans so far. The only thing that's actually been aimed at English fans is an E3 Twitter retweet of it, and who knows if the person who RT'd actually know what's going on with that.

If it's going to be something at Sony's show, Atlus USA might not say anything before hand. Not always the kind of thing that is pre announced. Although that would be out of charecter for the Phantom Thieves.

Of course, there will be the E3 badge, and presumably Atlus will put out some PR about their showfloor presence.

also reminder: https://www.instagram.com/p/BDCPhv6v5TV/?taken-by=atlususa_official

It's placeholder. Several times in the past these placeholder dates have proven to completely wrong, like with Persona 4: Dancing All Night or Etrian Mystery Dungeon.

They've been hit and miss. Still could be correct, and if they're targeting the 20th at the moment, which the placeholder could imply, I doubt they'd give that date knowing that P5 would be a week before.

MSMrRound

Well...I mean...while they haven't been quite repeatedly bonking our heads over with the WesternP5fanswillgetreleasedateatE3 sign...

there's also...
X7sTOdk.jpg

technically it's not by AtlusJP themselves, but hey...the E3 official account itself is trying to highlight Persona 5's presense at its Western-centric trade show too...? Hmmm.....HHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Edit: oh yea, you mentioned it in a earlier post as well. My bad. Didn't notice it before I posted, but when there's smoke there's still a chance of fire. Like you said earlier, some long awaited P5 mention at Sony's press conference seems pretty likely, along with their usual show booth and possible sponsorship of the E3 badge (last year was P4Dancing and Persona 5)....this year...probably slight chance of Odin Sphere/P5? Unless they want to show some love towards SMTIV: A or Yakuza 0 instead...

Anyway off day booked for June 14. I'm ready.

FluxWaveZ

Edit: oh yea, you mentioned it in a earlier post as well. My bad. Didn't notice it before I posted, but when there's smoke there's still a chance of fire.

I'm not saying that there won't be English media/information for Persona 5 at E3 2016. In fact, just because it's at E3, it'd be a bit foolish to not expect that (or a bit foolish for Atlus to not do that).

MSMrRound

I'm not saying that there won't be English media/information for Persona 5 at E3 2016. In fact, just because it's at E3, it'd be a bit foolish to not expect that (or a bit foolish for Atlus to not do that).

Haha yea. Just that I'm (along with some others) still taken back at the part where they mentioned E3 in the previous livestream, since the trade show is traditionally so Western-centric. Was only having some slight expectations at hearing stuff about it at E3 (after being burned from last year's), so some official confirmation of its presence is always nice.

I think hearing the E3 part during the livestream increased our expectations by a lot, to be honest...

That's why I was wondering what else AtlusJP got prepared to show the Japanese fans, if they are really the ones they are targeting the "Morgana and gang's gonna be at E3 next! Stay tuned for more info!" message at.

Imagine this at E3...... Persona 5's logo flickers on screen. We see the usual setting of Joker and Ann in a classroom. The teacher asks Joker, "When will Persona 5 release for other countries beside Japan?" Ann turns to Joker to hear his answer. Joker smiles and boldly picks, "The same as Japan. WORLDWIDE RELEASE. LET'S DO THIS." Internet meltdown and people screaming tears of hype and GAF crashes.

BELIEVE!

holy shit

now I know I'll inevitably be disappointed when they do whatever they will at E3 lol, it can't live up to that

Nachos

Oh...

I guess that means Atlus can't use her? Or am I getting it mixed up with being union.

Nah, she should be good to go. Pretty sure she's ficore, so assuming the game itself is nonunion, there won't be anymore issues than with using a nonunion actor. She was already in Record Breaker and Etrian Odyssey Untold 1.

That's not reasonable from a PR standpoint in regards to what a "shoutout" would be. Everything about this upcoming event has obviously been targeted to the Japanese fans so far. The only thing that's actually been aimed at English fans is an E3 Twitter retweet of it, and who knows if the person who RT'd actually know what's going on with that.

Right. Most people watching the Nico streams are watching premium restreams, which go against the site's ToS, and who knows what other issues there might be with rebroadcasting across countries. I'm sure Atlus is aware of what's going on, but there's no chance the message wasn't meant for the main Japanese audience. They're a corporation with a professional image and contacts to uphold. Why would they acknowledge anyone watching through back doors – much less when it undermines one of their biggest promotional partners? English fans haven't been thrown a bone through big official channels yet.

Nah, she should be good to go. Pretty sure she's ficore, so assuming the game itself is nonunion, there won't be anymore issues than with using a nonunion actor. She was already in Record Breaker and Etrian Odyssey Untold 1.

Oh, that's right! Another thing I need to get to work on.

My expectations for Persona 5 @ E3 2016 are the following:

1. English Dubbed Trailer using pieces from PV 1-4 to highlight all characters equally.
  2. Western Release Date Announcement
  3. Western Special Edition Announcement (Preorders Open?)
  4. Gameplay from Atlus Booth or Youtube Channel
Dubbing only PV#4 would not allow them to show off the full cast as well as they may want, and wouldn't provide anything new for the Japanese viewers they've been hyping this up for.

Thoughts?

Squire

Banned
Atlus USA still has yet to put out a formal announcement of their E3 plans.

My expectations for Persona 5 @ E3 2016 are the following:

1. English Dubbed Trailer using pieces from PV 1-4 to highlight all characters equally.
  2. Western Release Date Announcement
  3. Western Special Edition Announcement (Preorders Open?)
  4. Gameplay from Atlus Booth or Youtube Channel
Dubbing only PV#4 would not allow them to show off the full cast as well as they may want, and wouldn't provide anything new for the Japanese viewers they've been hyping this up for.

Thoughts?

All of that is perfectly reasonable.

_Ryo_

Wasn't Ni no Kuni 2's PSX trailer dubbed? Albeit that is by Level 5 and its a series more popular in the US than in Japan but still, it's an anime styled japanese rpg. So im just saying its not impossible to localize a great amount while in development...

Anyway, looking at scans again there seems to be a caricature of an middle aged fat chinese person... I may be wrong but if that is truly the intent, it's pretty disappointing.

FluxWaveZ

Anyway, looking at scans again there seems to be a caricature of an middle aged fat chinese person... I may be wrong but if that is truly the intent, it's pretty disappointing.

Look again. That's the character in your avatar.

Wasn't Ni no Kuni 2's PSX trailer dubbed? Albeit that is by Level 5 and its a series more popular in the US than in Japan but still, it's an anime styled japanese rpg. So im just saying its not impossible to localize a great amount while in development...

Other companies aren't really comparable. We can look at something like Zero Time Dilemma and how that had English media before any Japanese media, even though it's certainly much smaller than the Persona series in the West. Either way, we do know that Atlus USA localize Atlus games while they are in development, and that they've definitely been doing the same for Persona 5.

_Ryo_

So, it's Futaba wearing a mask to disguise herself in public?

Ah. That's good. Wonder what other masks she has and if you can gift her masks in Slinks. Haha.

Lunar15

Why? When do you think they started dubbing on the game?

I have no idea how long this stuff takes. I don't think many people here know either.

I just don't think they have the scenes from the most recent trailer dubbed. I mean, maybe they can announce the dub cast, but I'm still just not quite sure if that's where we're at here.

FluxWaveZ

I have no idea how long this stuff takes. I don't think many people here know either.

I just don't think they have the scenes from the most recent trailer dubbed. I mean, maybe they can announce the dub cast, but I'm still just not quite sure if that's where we're at here.

I just don't think this skepticism is warranted. Recent example:

P4D PV02: April 17, 2015. Dubbed in Japanese.
P4D E3 Trailer: June 16, 2015. Dubbed in English.

Previous Atlus games have seemed to take 2-3 months for complete dubbing after it started. I'm assuming Persona 5 dubbing started in earnest in March 2016, so they'd at least be relatively far along by the time E3 2016 starts.

_Ryo_

Time for another bet?

English dubbed trailer at E3? Yes or No
Western release same or very close time frame as Japan? Yes or No.

I'd be willing to bet username and avatar but I dunno if anyone is up for that, especially Mods. Haha.

Lunar15

I just don't think this skepticism is warranted. Recent example:

P4D PV02: April 17, 2015. Dubbed in Japanese.
P4D E3 Trailer: June 16, 2015. Dubbed in English.

Previous Atlus games have seemed to take 2-3 months for complete dubbing after it started. I'm assuming Persona 5 dubbing started in earnest in March 2016, so they'd at least be relatively far along by the time E3 2016 starts.

You answered my next question: What was the length of time between dub and non dub trailers for the last Persona game.

But where does the march figure come from? That's the thing I don't really know: when they started.

Anywho, I'm always skeptical on marketing, but bullish on release. I trust them when they give dates, even when it bites me in the ass, but I've just learned to never expect anything when it comes to presentations. Since I work with a lot of games marketing people, I get the weird restrictions they have placed on them for when they can show certain things.

That said, I totally believe Atlus can pull out the dub for E3, it's more that I just don't expect it. I'd be shocked, really. Same goes for having a "large" presence at the Playstation conference.

Squire

Banned

A couple of months, and months prior to release, having talked to 2-3 P4 cast members. If it's a fall/winter release, they'd probably be recording in the summer.

Edit: Or what Flux said, yeah.

Game doesn't need to be fully dubbed to dub over a trailer anyway. There's lines in that P4D one which sound like they're just for the trailer.

Squire

Banned
Wouldn't that would mean they haven't recorded yet?

My assumption would be they're recording now.

I should've said late spring/early summer. So starting in April or May and then recording through the better part of summer.

A month or so is plenty of time to do a trailer, especially considering they might not record chronologically. I'm not sure if they do that or not though.

FluxWaveZ

My assumption would be they're recording now.

I should've said late spring/early summer. So starting in April or May and then recording through the better part of summer.

A month or so is plenty of time to do a trailer, especially considering they might not record chronologically. I'm not sure if they do that or not though.

The matter of timeline:

1. P4D English dubbing started in March 2015.
2. P4D English dubbing neared its end in April 2015.
3. P4D was released in September 2015.

I believe Persona 5's will be:

1. P5 English dubbing started in March 2016.
2. P5 English dubbing will near its end in June-July 2016.

Squire

Banned
The matter of timeline:

1. P4D English dubbing started in March 2015.
2. P4D English dubbing neared its end in April 2015.
3. P4D was released in September 2015.

Cool. So you could logically assume they started recording 5 a few weeks ago for a November release, going by this.

Of course all the interviews we did for the podcast were centered on P4G, which was a late November release in the US/Canada.

On how much of a difference voice acting makes to turn around time for localisation of games like P4D, there were some interesting points raised. “It is just kind of the production schedule we have. We did finish Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold and Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker fairly early. We may be using someone different for the actual programming from outside and those external people affect the schedule as well. How fast they can get the text and voices in with a number of other factors. The discrepancy on this one is making sure we have enough time for the game. We can’t just randomly say X game is coming out next week. Every game is different[...]

http://www.godisageek.com/2015/08/atlus-usa-interview/

84X

Banned
Drew something for May 5th... and then May 5th came and went. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Wanted to do a better job with the background instead of just throwing it together but need to move on.

Anyways, for the people interested, I'm not going to say PK and I are planning a new comic but PK and I are planning a new comic.

Persona 5 |OT| Take My Heart

Was reminded of those old "Take your heart" posters; thought it descriptive of how GAF's fallen in love with this game.

Edit: ^Nice work on Anne's head/hair there.

Makio

Time for another bet?
1.Western release same or very close time frame as Japan? Yes or No.
English dubbed trailer at E3? Yes or No

1. Yes I would be surprised if E3 ends up without at least with a release window for America (ex : Winter 2016 / Spring 2017).

To me the game is coming in November / December

2.And like Flux said about the dub for P5 starting in March reminds me to Valerie Arem's tease in twitter , is pretty vague could mean anything but to me they started the dub in late March , if going for Dancing All Night example Flux put too , they can dub the game in 1-2 months. (Late May) enough time to got footage enough to cut a english PV03 or PV04.

(Dancing All Night got a insane amount of "un-used" dialogue footage , i not saying P5 is going to have the same amount of dialogue but i dont see them taking more than 2-3 months to dub that game ).

#TeamDUBatE3

Top Bottom