• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Squire

Banned

Mediking

tumblr_nkedmkAO5g1qkjtn9o1_500.gif

giphy.gif

I believe. Lol refuse to think Minato is dead. I do need to play the Answer but I keep hoping P3 will hit PS4 in some super complete form.

Mediking

it's literally the entire point of the game, like, if that weren't the case it would defeat the whole purpose of the story

(this is also why
he's never coming back
)

I love Persona 3 and Minato so much that I like to think that he never died. He's too young and freaking awesome to die like that.

tumblr_mqdmhaF0Xl1qkai1do1_r1_500.gif

it's literally the entire point of the game, like, if that weren't the case it would defeat the whole purpose of the story

(this is also why
he's never coming back
)

Agreed on the first point,
but I'm not gonna let Atlus' inaction keep that second point true. :p

Diehard-san.... Is it true?
Is Minato truly staying in the grave? ;_; I always hoped he faked his death as a joke to his friends.

Well, you see, Medi... when a game engaged in a love affair with the inevitability of death and
the lack of foresight concerning the marketability of living heroes
hate each other very much...

Mediking

Sorry, sorry. Playing Persona 3 Portable brings back alotta emotions. And I really did connect with Minato. Not fanboying over the guy. He's one of my most favorite characters. I didn't connect with Yu that much. I'm hoping that I connect with Joker because he reminds me of Minato alot.

Sorry, sorry. Playing Persona 3 Portable brings back alotta emotions. And I really did connect with Minato. Not fanboying over the guy. He's one of my most favorite characters. I didn't connect with Yu that much. I'm hoping that I connect with Joker because he reminds me of Minato alot.

Oyyy... good think I've only played P3 once, then.

At least my beloved messiah character was a robot in a game that was bad enough for me to write it off.
:p

Savage, Diehard-san. Savage. :(

The most slack Persona ever cut for me was having its worst character in a spinoff that was bad enough for me to write off.

FluxWaveZ

I feel P5MC's phantom thief guise (especially his redrawn portraits) is closer in design to Yu if anything.

I think it's close to neither, but I did like P3MC much more than I did P4MC and I feel the same way about P5MC.

Though that might be more in terms of their attitudes than anything, since I preferred P3MC's disposition and projected behavior to P4MC's.

84X

Banned
I think it's close to neither, but I did like P3MC much more than I did P4MC and I feel the same way about P5MC.

Though that might be more in terms of their attitudes than anything, since I preferred P3MC's disposition and projected behavior to P4MC's.

The point is if you're comparing them to past protagonists his design is much closer to Yu. Don't really care about personal preferences.

Squire

Banned
Having finished Uncharted 4 (though this isn't a spoiler), I think it'd be dope as hell if Ryuji's ultimate persona was the Gunsway.

If Makoto and Futaba can do it, so can he.

Having finished Uncharted 4 (though this isn't a spoiler), I think it'd be dope as hell if Ryuji's ultimate persona was the Gunsway.

If Makoto and Futaba can do it, so can he.

With objects now allowed, how long before we get the Bible as a Persona?

It blocks gun attacks, obviously, but weak to fire. ;)

Mediking

Totally agreed. Joker and Minato both got this really cool demeanor going on. No offense to Yu but the only time I really thought he was cool was when in his Awakening scene. Joker also walks around with his hands in his pockets like Minato. I freaking love that.

Well, if we're going to compare MCs, I will say that I think Joker feels closer to Yu in characterization than to P3MC, based on a sort of confidence they both seem to have. P3MC achieved the same thing through a sort of apathy and detachment, Yu did it through an easygoing confidence, and Joker's comes off like a slightly snarky or controlled yet aggressive twist on that confidence.

But they really all seem to be different.

FluxWaveZ

I mean, motorcycles are inanimate, but then, Pope Joan.

Pope Joan is the important part, and I wouldn't be surprised if Makoto's persona could somewhat operate independently without her user riding it. But I just mean that the Gunsway was an actual ship—an inanimate object—so we wouldn't be seeing a persona based on that.

Ryuji's ultimate persona could take the form of a huge ship he could ride—we do know that they're expanding the form personas can take, and I personally love it—but it'd be based on something sentient.

The Necronomicon is a sentient entity, so I don't think it really opens the way for inanimate objects as personas.

You say that now, but then which one of us'll be laughing when someone's Persona is just a telekinetic spear of destiny? XD

I kid, I kid.
Persona avoids naming actual Abrahamic faith elements like the plague anyway.

84X

Banned
What are the elements that make the P5MC look closer to the P4MC?

The way his confidence is expressed seems much more in line with the more extroverted characterization of Yu. Good example is his reworked AoA portrait which is closer to Yu's P4G AoA portrait than anything P3MC.

I guess it's fairly trivial stuff there but still seems like more a connection than to P3MC.

FluxWaveZ

The way his confidence is expressed seems much more in line with the more extroverted characterization of Yu. Good example is his reworked AoA portrait which is closer to Yu's P4G AoA portrait than anything P3MC.

I guess it's fairly trivial stuff there but still seems like more a connection than to P3MC.

Ah, I thought you were talking more about his actual physique, but if it is behaviour I'd agree that it's like Inquisitive_Ghost stated: P4MC and P5MC are more about "confidence" rather than P3MC's "apathy."

Though, the ways they convey it are radically different. I could see a similar argument being made for Joker's non-phantom appearance being closer to P3MC than P4MC, but it's still so different that these comparisons don't hold much water.

84X

Banned
Ah, I thought you were talking more about his actual physique, but if it is behaviour I'd agree that it's like Inquisitive_Ghost stated: P4MC and P5MC are more about "confidence" rather than P3MC's "apathy."

Though, the ways they convey it are radically different. I could see a similar argument being made for Joker's non-phantom appearance being closer to P3MC than P4MC, but it's still so different that these comparisons don't hold much water.

Well I was trying to say his confidence leads to his appearance in battle being closer to Yu. Though this is all in response to comparing him to past MCs, otherwise I'd agree he seems different enough from them both.

Joker's a gentleman thief, i.e. what happens when you take the easygoing, cool-guy confidence of someone like Yu and weaponize it.

(I have no idea if this will be even remotely true in-game). :p

FluxWaveZ

Joker's a gentleman thief, i.e. what happens when you take the easygoing, cool-guy confidence of someone like Yu and weaponize it.

Well, again, I think that's just comparing it too closely to Yu when he's quite different. Like, I don't really think "easygoing" works when we're talking about a dude who
ends up presumably reaching a breaking point and then physically beating someone up at the start of the game.
From what Hashino has said and from how he appears, he seems more excitable and leaning more towards arrogant than simply "confident." Morgana said so itself: he's a show off.

I've been reading "Arsène Lupin, Gentleman Burglar" for the Persona 5 Book Club, and I could totally see Joker's phantom self being very much like Lupin in that story. Just someone who thinks he's larger than life and amazing, with the skills to actually back that up.

Kinda ties into my own personal interpretation of Joker's phantom self, since everyone seems to have a dual nature with their everyday personas being their "real selves" and their "ideal selves" being manifested as phantom thieves. Joker's ideal self would be that of an attention seeker who seeks to enthrall others. That's expressed by his mannerisms in the opening, to Morgana calling him a show off, to his persona being Arsène.

Squire

Banned

Fair enough.

We pretty much know this is the case. I wouldn't say he's "weaponized" though. It's more like they took Yu and warped his perception of morality, since that's what gentleman thieves struggle with; justifying why they steal the things they do.

Edit: I really need to start reading the Book Club stuff.

Well, again, I think that's just comparing it too closely to Yu when he's quite different. Like, I don't really think "easygoing" works when we're talking about a dude who
ends up presumably reaching a breaking point and then physically beating someone up at the start of the game.
From what Hashino has said and from how he appears, he seems more excitable and leaning more towards arrogant than simply "confident." Morgana said so itself: he's a show off.

I've been reading "Arsène Lupin, Gentleman Burglar" for the Persona 5 Book Club, and I could totally see Joker's phantom self being very much like Lupin in that story. Just someone who thinks he's larger than life and amazing, with the skills to actually back that up.

I was just making a sort of broad statement; I don't actually think he's super close in characterization to Yu, I just see some similarities in the sort of, hmm, sense of self that comes from that kind of confidence, or perhaps causes it. It's a little difficult to describe, but I could do it if need be.

I read the first Arsene Lupin book last year and really enjoyed it. I've been reading more of them here and there since then, but I still like that first collection the most. It was grandiose and over the top in a really fun way. I'd fucking love it if Joker was basically Lupin in that book.
The second book is easily the worst.

Lastly: Morgana said that?

FluxWaveZ

I had noticed this when I first saw it, but I haven't seen anyone mention it so I'll just post it for anyone who might have missed it:

The dagger that was part of the Persona Super Live logo did actually end up being a representation of something in-game.

SlkPUGk.png

I had noticed this when I first saw it, but I haven't seen anyone mention it so I'll just post it for anyone who might have missed it:

The dagger that was part of the Persona Super Live logo did actually end up being a representation of something in-game.

Slightly different angle, but it's there. Good find!

Kinda ties into my own personal interpretation of Joker's phantom self, since everyone seems to have a dual nature with their everyday personas being their "real selves" and their "ideal selves" being manifested as phantom thieves. Joker's ideal self would be that of an attention seeker who seeks to enthrall others. That's expressed by his mannerisms in the opening, to Morgana calling him a show off, to his persona being Arsène.

This could be on point.

SlkPUGk.png

And this is a good catch.

FluxWaveZ

Sounds excellent.

Is that the event they crashed? I never actually saw that. Is there video of it somewhere?

They haven't ever really crashed an event, since everything up until now has actually been an Atlus created event with the only other thing being when Persona 5 Teaser 2 was shown at the SCEJA pre-TGS 2014 presser, and that was just Sony showing the video and thanking Atlus for letting them do so.

But yeah, I suppose that was Jun Fukuyama "crashing" the event back then. There's an archive of the thing on Niconico, but that might just be for premium members.

The shot from the event: https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/645117214983647232?lang=en

They haven't ever really crashed an event, since everything up until now has actually been an Atlus created event with the only other thing being when Persona 5 Teaser 2 was shown at the SCEJA pre-TGS 2014 presser, and that was just Sony showing the video and thanking Atlus for letting them do so.

But yeah, I suppose that was Jun Fukuyama "crashing" the event back then. There's an archive of the thing on Niconico, but that might just be for premium members.

The shot from the event: https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/645117214983647232?lang=en

Sorry, I should have put "crashed" in scare quotes. I know it was staged and all.

Thanks!

tumblr_nkedmkAO5g1qkjtn9o1_500.gif

giphy.gif

I believe. Lol refuse to think Minato is dead. I do need to play the Answer but I keep hoping P3 will hit PS4 in some super complete form.

Please no. The themes in P3 are amazing, P3MC coming back to life would destroy them. I don't care about non-canon but a definite no to canon.

Annoying thing they need to fix:

1) Not letting me check the shopping channel before agreeing to hang out with someone.

2) Not letting me see the full list of who's willing to hang out on a day before committing to or denying one person.

Assuming P5 still has events like this, both of these could be easily fixed by changing the people asking from phone calls to a list of texts, so you could check them at your leisure and all at once. P5 has some kind of texting system, so maybe that's what they've done.

Something I've noticed watching trailers recently, don't know if it's been discussed:
Does it seem like the dungeons might collapse or something like that after you finish them? The pyramid looked like it could have been when they were hauling ass out of there, and there was that corridor in PV01 that was collapsing. In both cases the cast was fleeing, and with their masks off (don't know that that means anything; it's just something I noticed).

Top Bottom