• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Sophia

I doubt it would ever happen, but I've always entertained the thought of a Persona 2 or Persona 3 remake using the Persona 5 engine.

I doubt it would ever happen, but I've always entertained the thought of a Persona 2 or Persona 3 remake using the Persona 5 engine.

P3 I could see, what with it being the one that really got the series going.
But P2... that's about as likely as FF6 getting the FF7R treatment.
And I mean that in the best way towards P2 and FF6, btw.

It would never happen for Persona 2 for another reason. That being some of the actors are retired and/or deceased, so they'd never record new dialogue for it.

Wh-what??

Like who? (I'm guessing this is just on the JP side?)

Sophia

P3 I could see, what with it being the one that really got the series going.
But P2... that's about as likely as FF6 getting the FF7R treatment.
And I mean that in the best way towards P2 and FF6, btw.

It would never happen for Persona 2 for another reason. That being some of the actors are retired and/or deceased, so they'd never record new dialogue for it.

But could you imagine a Tartarus that's fully featured in regards to layouts and randomness? Instead of these tiny floors, having layouts that are similar to what we see in the animated cutscenes? Crazy hallways, pathways that warp and twist, going inside and out, etc. Maybe one night a shortcut exists that takes you on the outside of Tartarus and lets you jump straight to a boss floor, or another night there are pits you can fall down and take falling damage. Or perhaps seamless transitions from one floor to the next?

But could you imagine a Tartarus that's fully featured in regards to layouts and randomness? Instead of these tiny floors, having layouts that are similar to what we see in the animated cutscenes? Crazy hallways, pathways that warp and twist, going inside and out, etc. Maybe one night a shortcut exists that takes you on the outside of Tartarus and lets you jump straight to a boss floor, or another night there are pits you can fall down and take falling damage. Or perhaps seamless transitions from one floor to the next?

Woah...
There you go, devs: free ideas NOT involving giving P3MC the ability to not woo a woman! :p

Sophia

Wh-what??

Like who? (I'm guessing this is just on the JP side?)

Japanese side, yes. Off the top of my head, Lisa's VA is retired. Also while he wasn't voiced in P2, both of Igor's VAs have passed away but that's already solved. I was thinking there was someone else too.

Woah...
There you go, devs: free ideas NOT involving giving P3MC the ability to not woo a woman! :p

This to say nothing of the fact that they would no longer need the facade of how splitting up the group of works. Seamless battles may have been too ambitious on the PS2, but they're nothing now. And of course a more realized Tatsumi Port Island.

Japanese side, yes. Off the top of my head, Lisa's VA is retired. Also while he wasn't voiced in P2, both of Igor's VAs have passed away but that's already solved. I was thinking there was someone else too.

This to say nothing of the fact that they would no longer need the facade of how splitting up the group of works. Seamless battles may have been too ambitious on the PS2, but they're nothing now. And of course a more realized Tatsumi Port Island.

Man, the potential that comes with doing more than just slapping a new coat of paint on something is quite a rush, isn't it?

Please stop

My dreams of a P3 remake were already crushed once, i don't need to think about how glorious P3 would be in P5's engine...welp, back to hopelessly hoping for a P3 remake. This is your fault for my despair!

Guess Who

Banned
It would take nearly as much effort to remake P3 on the P5 engine as it would take to make an entire new Persona game, and I know I'd much rather have P6, personally.

FluxWaveZ

Oh, and the P3M Finale Event in March is the ultimatum for a Persona 3 remake/remaster/whatever. If it's not announced there, it is never going to be made ever and deal with it.
And now we've had the 5/5 event go by, as well as this year being the 20th anniversary of the series and the 10th anniversary of Persona 3.
If people still cling to the idea after that, my mindset will solely be: "You mean we're still not at a point where people know better than to constantly hope for a P3 remake after it's been a decade since its original release, 7 years after P3P, after it has had 3 separate releases already, after a revival has occurred with the movie adaptations and after there was no project announced at a P3 event dubbed the "Finale"?"
Despite Persona 3 being my favorite game in the series to date, I'm so glad that Atlus is moving on instead. There'll always be people clinging to the idea of perpetual remakes of previous games, though, as people do nowadays.
From P1 to P4, I never want to see another mainline Persona RPG remake ever again.

jzbluz

I kinda want to see a P2 remake since I'm fond of the duology and I find actually playing it to be a bit of a chore, but I prefer new games to remakes.

Mediking

I thought the whole "I don't want remakes/HD remasters of games because they halt the development of new and current games!!!" was proven false on GAF. There are literally very talented studios like Bluepoint Games, Virtuous Studios, Tantalus, etc who excel at these kind of games. Naughty Dog hired Bluepoint Games for the Uncharted Collection. Virtuous Studios is behind the FF X/X-2 HD Remaster, Tantalus has done alotta games like Mass Effect 3 on Wii U and Twilight Princess HD on Wii U. Atlus could literally hire any of these guys to cook up a previous Persona game for PS4 while they continued work on Persona 5 or whatever. "But I only want Atlus working on a Persona remake or HD port!!!" Please. Atlus could easily have just one or two people from the Persona staff keeping an eye on the remake or whatever's development. I'm sure guys like Bluepoint Games always give constant updates to the studio they are working for regarding the development of the game. I don't know much about video game development but I do believe that talented guys like Bluepoint Games and and Tantalus could handle a Persona remake/port.

Jintor

Makoto is making my head spin, it's like I am back to my 14 year old self, when anime waifu wasn't an ironic half joke I make, because I have a terrible sense of humor.

title/tag quote

i can't see the projected audience for a persona 3 remake being very large relative to the work necessary, especially worldwide

Guess Who

Banned
I thought the whole "I don't want remakes/HD remasters of games because they halt the development of new and current games!!!" was proven false on GAF. There are literally very talented studios like Bluepoint Games, Virtuous Studios, Tantalus, etc who excel at these kind of games. Naughty Dog hired Bluepoint Games for the Uncharted Collection. Virtuous Studios is behind the FF X/X-2 HD Remaster, Tantalus has done alotta games like Mass Effect 3 on Wii U and Twilight Princess HD on Wii U. Atlus could literally hire any of these guys to cook up a previous Persona game for PS4 while they continued work on Persona 5 or whatever. "But I only want Atlus working on a Persona remake or HD port!!!" Please. Atlus could easily have just one or two people from the Persona staff keeping an eye on the remake or whatever's development. I'm sure guys like Bluepoint Games always give constant updates to the studio they are working for regarding the development of the game. I don't know much about video game development but I do believe that talented guys like Bluepoint Games and and Tantalus could handle a Persona remake/port.

A remaster and a remake are extremely different things. Remastering Persona 3 would entail taking the game, porting it to new hardware, making some textures and models look nicer, and calling it a day. That would be very doable. Remaking Persona 3 on the P5 engine, and up to P5 graphical standards, would require basically redoing the entire game from scratch sans the script and voiceover.

Lunar15

I'm all about moving forward. P6 or bust.

Y'all say you want a P3 remake now, but the tune will change when it ends up getting Marie 2: Electric Boogaloo.

FluxWaveZ

I thought the whole "I don't want remakes/HD remasters of games because they halt the development of new and current games!!!" was proven false on GAF.

No. The common point of objection is that different studios handle remasters. Atlus doesn't outsource those kinds of projects (not to mention that we're talking about remakes, not remasters) so, any way you want to twist it, it would directly take considerable amounts of resources from Atlus that could otherwise be spent on other kinds of projects.

I don't know much about video game development but I do believe that talented guys like Bluepoint Games and and Tantalus could handle a Persona remake/port.

1. For a remaster, what exactly would be the point? And oversight from any of the P Studio members would still be significant; they are a small team, and seeing how authorial their games are, it would be a lead having to waste his time for something like that.
2. There is no way a studio like any of those would be given free reign to handle a Persona game remake.

Again, people will constantly want remakes of the old games and try to explore any possibility or potential of that happening, even though literally every single Persona game has been remade at least once. At least P Studio can move on.

Mediking

A remaster and a remake are extremely different things. Remastering Persona 3 would entail taking the game, porting it to new hardware, making some textures and models look nicer, and calling it a day. That would be very doable. Remaking Persona 3 on the P5 engine, and up to P5 graphical standards, would require basically redoing the entire game from scratch sans the script and voiceover.

Ohhhh..... Well that depends on what Atlus wants to do after P5 for Persona. I dunno if they're gonna be in any rush to do P6 after P5 releases even though I bet some ideas for P6 might be cooking in their head.

But like I said before... I'm totally content with Persona 3 FES hitting PS2 Classics to PS4. At least hire somebody to do THAT.

Edit: @FluxWaveZ OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....

Squire

Banned

The kind of remake we're talking about here would be more comparable to something like REmake than anything BluePoint has worked on. If they did remake P2, they'd absolutely need the bulk of the staff as its effectively a new mainline Persona. A lot of that game would probably need to change to make sense today.

Guess Who

Banned
I'm all about moving forward. P6 or bust.

Y'all say you want a P3 remake now, but the tune will change when it ends up getting Marie 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Joke's on you, as my avatar will confess I am all about short-hair girls with Hot Topic outfits and hats

Mediking

The kind of remake we're talking about here would be more comparable to something like REmake than anything BluePoint has worked on. If they did remake P2, they'd absolutely need the bulk of the staff as its effectively a new mainline Persona. A lot of that game would probably need to change to make sense today.

I understand now. I'm sorry. My bad.

Yeah, Marie is basically Ryoji part 2 lol

Oh, you edited.

Uh....something something, he's a shadow like Teddie I guess, Except he bothered to make himself clothes instead of being bear naked

And... school papers? ;)
and a full name?

Where the hell did he go at night??

Lunar15

Finally got confirmation from my coworker that they'll give me the atlus insert from their E3 nametag since I can't go this year.

So that means it better be good.

Finally got confirmation from my coworker that they'll give me the atlus insert from their E3 nametag since I can't go this year.

So that means it better be good.

*sigh*... Now I remember Atlus' last year.
And the reaction to it.

edit: My bet's on P5 and Apocalypse. That game's not getting nearly enough attention.

Expecting one side to be the P5 box art group shot, and the other to be Apocalypse maybe, or Yakuza.

New P5 art would be even better, but I don't want to be too optimistic. :p

_Ryo_

This isnt Persona but I have been watching an SMT Nocturne Let's Play on Youtube and have noticed the character models are really really good. I'm not sure but they look better than Persona 3 and 4 character models and have this nice semi cel-shaded effect but didn't Nocturne release much earlier? Why does it have better models?

This isnt Persona but I have been watching an SMT Nocturne Let's Play on Youtube and have noticed the character models are really really good. I'm not sure but they look better than Persona 3 and 4 character models and have this nice semi cel-shaded effect but didn't Nocturne release much earlier? Why does it have better models?

I think you get to appreciate them more in Nocturne because, unlike Persona, they don't just appear in flashes.

q1dF4xM.png

DDS has better models too. Maybe due to needing fewer characters? Or they were just going for a different artstyle.

Comparison I made a while back. P3 images are from P3P though. Not the best/fairest comparison image ever made.

Squire

Banned

They either had more money or prioritized the budget differently from how they did while making P3/4.

Funny how things changed, too. P5 is obviously the most expensive game Atlus has made. I started SMTIV just a few nights ago and I actually find that to be conservative, even by Atlus standards. It may as well have "Budget" written on the box in bold typeface.

_Ryo_

All I know is that the game would look amazing uprezed. Should be a PS2 on PS4 title.

In other news, Makoto is really growing on me BUT I think she looks like a DanGanRonpa character, which instinctively makes me feel like she is gonna die.

X_x

Edit: P3P models are a lot worse than FES...

Strimei

In other news, Makoto is really growing on me BUT I think she looks like a DanGanRonpa character, which instinctively makes me feel like she is gonna die.

Makoto reminds you of Danganronpa?

I don't really see it. If anything, Futaba feels more like it to me. Most of those characters tend to be kind of exaggerated and such, aren't they? (I've only read an LP of the first game, back when the idea of it even being localized was a pipe dream)

_Ryo_

is Nocturne the only mainlne SMT that has a full 3D battle system with 3D demons and such? I've noticed SMT IV on 3DS has 2D sprites? Or whatever. I dont really like the medieval aesthetic of IV...

Makoto reminds you of Danganronpa?

I don't really see it. If anything, Futaba feels more like it to me. Most of those characters tend to be kind of exaggerated and such, aren't they? (I've only read an LP of the first game, back when the idea of it even being localized was a pipe dream)

It's just that she has such dead eyes that I think a lot of DanganRonpa characters have... maybe I'm crazy.

is Nocturne the only mainlne SMT that has a full 3D battle system with 3D demons and such? I've noticed SMT IV on 3DS has 2D sprites? Or whatever.

Yeah.

I dont really like the medieval aesthetic of IV...

You may want to look into where 90% of the game actually takes place, then.

Spoiler:
The same massive Japanese city all numbered SMTs take place in.

is Nocturne the only mainlne SMT that has a full 3D battle system with 3D demons and such? I've noticed SMT IV on 3DS has 2D sprites? Or whatever. I dont really like the medieval aesthetic of IV...

Not "mainline" I suppose but Digital Devil Saga has very similar presentation to Nocturne.

And as for the quality of the models, Nocturne doesn't use portraits like Persona to fall back on for cutscenes/dialog. Plus it has a tiny cast and no real human background characters to model.

Also mild spoilers, but you could say that setting in SMTIV is, in the words of Soejima, a profound ruse.

Not "mainline" I suppose but Digital Devil Saga has very similar presentation to Nocturne.

And as for the quality of the models, Nocturne doesn't use portraits like Persona to fall back on for cutscenes/dialog. Plus it has a tiny cast and no real human background characters to model.

Also mild spoilers, but you could say that setting in SMTIV is, in the words of Soejima, a profound ruse.

I see what you did there! ;D

Menitta

I did not know there was a Persona 4 manga. I picked it up yesterday.

It's weird. It does two things that really bother me. One is that "Trial of the Dragon" is now "Fists of Fire." That's bullshit. The other is that the protag isn't Yu Narukami. It's Soji Seta.

Other than that, I'm enjoying it. I don't read manga that often, but I can see that some of the art is weird. Sometimes, characters just don't have eyes.

84X

Banned
I did not know there was a Persona 4 manga. I picked it up yesterday.

It's weird. It does two things that really bother me. One is that "Trial of the Dragon" is now "Fists of Fire." That's bullshit. The other is that the protag isn't Yu Narukami. It's Soji Seta.

Other than that, I'm enjoying it. I don't read manga that often, but I can see that some of the art is weird. Sometimes, characters just don't have eyes.

Faithful to the Atlus USA script is one thing the P4 manga translation certainly is not. It should prove more jarring in the coming volumes if you choose to keep following it.

Soji Seta is a product of the manga being started before the anime and spinoffs. Besides being an awful name (alliteration bleh), he really is the exact same charismatic leader Yu is portrayed as after he hits some development near the end of the fourth volume. The reason for Udon keeping it as Soji however is most likely out of respect for Sogabe, who funnily enough says he doesn't necessarily want people to think of it as his name anyways.

If you want a manga that faithfully adapts its source and sticks true to the localization, the P4 side of the PQ manga is your best bet.

Menitta

Faithful to the Atlus USA script is one thing the P4 manga translation certainly is not. It should prove more jarring in the coming volumes if you choose to keep following it.

Soji Seta is a product of the manga being started before the anime and spinoffs. Besides being an awful name (alliteration bleh), he really is the exact same charismatic leader Yu is portrayed as after he hits some development near the end of the fourth volume. The reason for Udon keeping it as Soji however is most likely out of respect for Sogabe, who funnily enough says he doesn't necessarily want people to think of it as his name anyways.

If you want a manga that faithfully adapts its source and sticks true to the localization, the P4 side of the PQ manga is your best bet.

As long as it's telling the events of the game and the characters are portrayed accurately, I'll stick with it.

I never played PQ because I just don't like Etrian Odyssey, so I might as well read it.

Top Bottom